Bluebeam Revu: A nice interface and a powerful PDF handlerWe use Revu across all departments, in all of our offices. We needed a PDF handler that allows ease in modifying/signing documents. While it is possible to simply use a generic PDF viewer to access documents, they don't provide any additional functions beyond just viewing/printing. Revu lets us create fillable forms, sign documents, add or subtract pages from a document, etc.,Once you set Bluebeam Revu as your default PDF handler, it launches immediately when clicking a PDF to open. The speed with which it opens documents is impressive. Creating PDF's out of other documents, such as Word, Excel, JPG's, etc. is simple. Digitally signing documents is a simple, secure process. You can keep your signature password-protected, yet still access it quickly. The Bluebeam Revu mobile application ( I use the iOS version on an iPad Pro), is awesome. Not only does it handle PDF's like you would expect it to, it allows for effortless digital signing of documents on the fly. Nice to be able to quickly sign a document and email right back out from the tablet no matter where I am.,The textbox and the typewriter tools, while functional, could be easier to use. It can be fiddly to get the typewriter insert where you need it, sometimes it doesn't want to move just a little (it can be a tiny bit or a big move). This can make it tough to get an "x" to line up with a box on a form. The textbox tool allows for plenty of customization, but can still be cumbersome when the form lines are small. On some documents it is necessary to "flatten" the document, or it comes across via email too large or with extraneous information. The process of flattening them seems a bit too laborious. Perhaps there is a default setting to make it do so automatically, but I haven't been able to locate it. The "create stamp" process has a lot of steps and could be macro automated to speed things up. It is so time-consuming that we only have one or two people that have fully figured it out, and they are tasked with creating new stamps for everyone.,8,It has been a net positive. It costs roughly the same as the major competing software in the PDF handling realm. We purchase it via an Enterprise agreement, and believe the net is a positive. None of these types of programs are exactly inexpensive, but they are necessary. The support from Bluebeam seems to be good. We have had at least one client, in the Federal contracting world, who insisted that they couldn't open PDF's produced by Bluebeam. They forced us to buy one copy of Adobe Acrobat just to create their PDFs. This is ludicrous, as the output of one is identical to the other. The only caution I have is that to some people Adobe Acrobat is THE PDF handler and anything else is suspect. Despite the issue above, we are happy with our decision to use Bluebeam Revu.,Adobe Acrobat DC,iMovie, Splashtop Remote Support, 4Clicks Project EstimatorGreat tool for Field SuperintendentsOur organization uses Bluebeam mainly for PDF manipulation such as detail markups for RFI’s, creation of phasing plans, invoice billing, and change orders. We have also found a large use in the creation of illustrations for presentations to new clients. We use it company-wide, and it has filled a need which we previously required multiple programs to fill, such as document conversion to PDF, adding text, and then combining with other documents.,I like that Bluebeam is able to convert JPG files and word documents to PDF. I love that Bluebeam helps with my take-offs on jobs using the integrated measuring tools. I love that Bluebeam allows me to modify text on existing documents to be used in new presentations or RFI’s.,I would like if Bluebeam was able to convert a wider range of files to PDF format. I would like if Bluebeam was able to be used cross-platform with documents on multiple devices.,8,Applying Bluebeam to my field guys has proven to be a large ROI in time-saving RFI creation. ROI in quick take-offs from email documents has been high as well. As-built drawings are nice with Bluebeam, but ROI is about even.,Adobe Acrobat DC,PlanGrid, Google Drive, MS SharePoint, GoToMeetingRevu is Essential for my use and plays nice with other software.Bluebeam is being used by parts of my organization. Certain users prefer to use Adobe Acrobat, but I think Bluebeam is much easier at manipulating sheets. It enables me to mark-up drawings from the architect, stamp invoices with my approval, and prepare documents for submitting. It's a fast way of drawing on top of PDFs, editing PDFs when necessary, and including relevant information before submitting to other parties (in our case, that is usually subcontractors).,Draw on PDFs. No other software I've ever used is better at this, and I've used Photoshop, Illustrator, and Adobe Acrobat. Revu molds together the best features in CAD (powerful drawing capabilities, point snap abilities, extreme accuracy) with a great PDF viewer. Very much worth it. Mark up / annotate PDFs. Typing on Revu is very easy via the text box tool or the typewriter tool. You can choose from a variety of fonts, opaque or transparent backgrounds, any color--the possibilities are endless. Combining and rearranging PDFs. You can easily move pages around, combine separate files, and flatten files.,A feature I would add -- a command line. The shortcuts are good, and in the latest version of Revu you can create your own which makes things easier. But I have used CAD and I find the command line much faster than dropdown menus. Something that could be better -- PDF compression. Revu files, when marked-up, can be massive, and there's not a clear enough way to shrink the file down by reducing clarity, etc. I understand this is a vector program--not rasterized--and vectors can be far more complex, especially with patterns and such. But compression would be nice. Features I'd like--enhanced vector abilities. Feathering lines, precise arc drawing, etc. Similar to Illustrator.,10,I can precisely convey any questions I have for/from architects, designers, subcontractors, etc. with ease. It explains my problems well. Invoice approval (via stamping) is consistent and easy. It's not meant to create "finished" products on its own, but it can combine media together in one cohesive way.,,PlanGrid, SmartsheetBest in ClassBluebeam is the go-to software for all pdf viewing and markup. It is currently the main platform for housing drawings both in Pre-Con and in the field. Using the Studio feature, we can share drawings within the team, collaborate via markup with the design team and subcontractors as well as ensure that everyone has the latest drawing revisions.,Revision control PDF viewing PDF editing Markup Comment sharing,Takeoff - the features work for a single goal but for multiple items, it is difficult to organize.,10,Consistency of distribution Revision control Information sharing,Adobe Acrobat DCBluebeam Revu is an awesome tool for professionals in many fields.I absolutely love Bluebeam. I generally have to use this program to go through drawings and edit them. I use this software to review and edit drawings that our engineers do. I red-line them and make sure that dimensions match up. It is a wonderful program and very wonderful to use.,Great tools in Bluebeam to edit documents. I love that this software has the ability to flatten sheets! I think this software is wonderful for anyone who is in construction looking at plans.,I think it would be better if the take off portion was better. I think it would be better if there were other editing tools. I would like to see the opening of two sheets look a little cleaner. It is really awkward.,10,The impact has been great. Allows me to use less time doing a task meaning I can do other tasks. I think the impact has been great because I am able to help my staff learn what they are doing wrong in drawing their plans. I think the impact is a little negative because of the fact that the take off tools aren't very great.,,Adobe Acrobat DC
Bluebeam Revu

Bluebeam Revu Reviews

Bluebeam Revu
TrustRadius Top Rated for 2018
Filter 153 vetted Bluebeam Revu reviews and ratings

Tim Corbett profile photo
January 17, 2019

Review: "Bluebeam Revu: A nice interface and a powerful PDF handler"

• Once you set Bluebeam Revu as your default PDF handler, it launches immediately when clicking a PDF to open. The speed with which it opens documents is impressive.
  • Creating PDF's out of other documents, such as Word, Excel, JPG's, etc. is simple.
  • Digitally signing documents is a simple, secure process. You can keep your signature password-protected, yet still access it quickly.
  • The Bluebeam Revu mobile application ( I use the iOS version on an iPad Pro), is awesome. Not only does it handle PDF's like you would expect it to, it allows for effortless digital signing of documents on the fly. Nice to be able to quickly sign a document and email right back out from the tablet no matter where I am.
  • The textbox and the typewriter tools, while functional, could be easier to use. It can be fiddly to get the typewriter insert where you need it, sometimes it doesn't want to move just a little (it can be a tiny bit or a big move). This can make it tough to get an "x" to line up with a box on a form. The textbox tool allows for plenty of customization, but can still be cumbersome when the form lines are small.
  • On some documents it is necessary to "flatten" the document, or it comes across via email too large or with extraneous information. The process of flattening them seems a bit too laborious. Perhaps there is a default setting to make it do so automatically, but I haven't been able to locate it.
  • The "create stamp" process has a lot of steps and could be macro automated to speed things up. It is so time-consuming that we only have one or two people that have fully figured it out, and they are tasked with creating new stamps for everyone.
As stated before, the mobile application is a great companion to the desktop version. Either one works great in viewing, editing and saving documents. While the measurement tool is handy to have, we have found the precision to be lacking when measuring scaled drawings (construction design drawings). While it is a good rough place to start for measurements, we wouldn't recommend relying on the precision of the measurements taken on something with a very large scale.
Read Tim Corbett's full review
Michael Carter profile photo
February 11, 2019

Bluebeam Revu Review: "Great tool for Field Superintendents"

• I like that Bluebeam is able to convert JPG files and word documents to PDF.
  • I love that Bluebeam helps with my take-offs on jobs using the integrated measuring tools.
  • I love that Bluebeam allows me to modify text on existing documents to be used in new presentations or RFI’s.
  • I would like if Bluebeam was able to convert a wider range of files to PDF format.
  • I would like if Bluebeam was able to be used cross-platform with documents on multiple devices.
I think in a construction company Bluebeam is well suited for use. Estimating and business development would find it highly useful. In somewhere more graphics oriented I feel there are other more appropriate programs.
Read Michael Carter's full review
Michael Savala profile photo
February 11, 2019

Bluebeam Revu Review: "Revu is Essential for my use and plays nice with other software."

• Draw on PDFs. No other software I've ever used is better at this, and I've used Photoshop, Illustrator, and Adobe Acrobat. Revu molds together the best features in CAD (powerful drawing capabilities, point snap abilities, extreme accuracy) with a great PDF viewer. Very much worth it.
  • Mark up / annotate PDFs. Typing on Revu is very easy via the text box tool or the typewriter tool. You can choose from a variety of fonts, opaque or transparent backgrounds, any color--the possibilities are endless.
  • Combining and rearranging PDFs. You can easily move pages around, combine separate files, and flatten files.
  • A feature I would add -- a command line. The shortcuts are good, and in the latest version of Revu you can create your own which makes things easier. But I have used CAD and I find the command line much faster than dropdown menus.
  • Something that could be better -- PDF compression. Revu files, when marked-up, can be massive, and there's not a clear enough way to shrink the file down by reducing clarity, etc. I understand this is a vector program--not rasterized--and vectors can be far more complex, especially with patterns and such. But compression would be nice.
  • Features I'd like--enhanced vector abilities. Feathering lines, precise arc drawing, etc. Similar to Illustrator.
Revu is very good for marking up already created PDFs, such as annotating architectural drawings, marking-up invoices, etc. for approval or denial, creating documents from a variety of file times, such as tables, photos, and text into one comprehensive file. Something it is less appropriate for is content creation; while it can combine architectural drawings, photos, tables, and text very well, it's not great for creating content on its own. I.e., its drawing capabilities aren't as robust as AutoCAD or Rhino, jpegs are not native to Revu, it can't produce spreadsheets or tables at all, and word processing abilities are lacking compared to Microsoft Word or the like.
Read Michael Savala's full review
Aaron Graves profile photo
January 11, 2019

Bluebeam Revu Review: "Best in Class"

• Revision control
  • PDF viewing
  • PDF editing
  • Markup
  • Comment sharing
  • Takeoff - the features work for a single goal but for multiple items, it is difficult to organize.
It's hard to think of a situation where Bluebeam isn't advised. A large number of features allow you to consistently keep organized and deliver high-quality products. Any company looking to streamline field operations and enable their staff to markup PDFs quickly and professionally should make the shift to Bluebeam. All of their features such as stamping, OCR, hyperlinking, batching are things that I use on a daily basis even in Pre-Con and they save dozens of manhours.
Read Aaron Graves's full review
Leticia Waller profile photo
December 07, 2018

Review: "Bluebeam Revu is an awesome tool for professionals in many fields."

• Great tools in Bluebeam to edit documents.
  • I love that this software has the ability to flatten sheets!
  • I think this software is wonderful for anyone who is in construction looking at plans.
  • I think it would be better if the take off portion was better.
  • I think it would be better if there were other editing tools.
  • I would like to see the opening of two sheets look a little cleaner. It is really awkward.
I love using Bluebeam in the construction industry. I have used it to review plans, edit plans and of course I use it for take offs and flattening pages that I have edited. I am able to put a signature on something, which is really easy to use. Everything about Bluebeam is awesome.
Read Leticia Waller's full review
February 01, 2019

Bluebeam Revu: "Bluebeam Review"

Bluebeam Revu is used primarily by users in our construction department (PMs, PCs, etc.) to view, edit, markup, and combine construction drawings/plans. Simple to use and very powerful in terms of its capabilities i.e. searching for symbols and icons in sets of drawings greatly reduces time spent manually searching otherwise.
  • Editing PDFs and creating templates for standardized forms such as change orders, RFIs, etc. is very useful.
  • Marking up PDFs for submittals and requests for information allows for more detailed questions to get detailed answers.
  • Assembling documents for contracts.
  • Symbol search functionality could be refined.
  • Default zoom percentage when opening documents should be fit to screen or 100%.
  • Auto recognizes surrounding font type.
Bluebeam Revu is well suited to view, edit, markup, and combine construction drawings/plans.
December 06, 2018

Bluebeam Revu: "Drawing Storage & Mobile Solution Review"

We use Bluebeam Revu for plan take offs, quantity and production tracking daily with our Project Engineers. Our field team members have the app on their iPads to also use to view plans. I personally use Bluebeam Revu daily for contract reviews, document markups, presentations and a variety of other day to day document functions.
  • Markups.
  • Combining / Stapling PDFs.
  • Having multiple screens open at once - works just like a browser tab.
  • The fly out menus are a little complicated for some users, as I get questions about where to find things that should seem simple (i.e. changing fill or text color).
  • I'd like to see it integrate with the HCSS programs.
For all our PDF needs Bluebeam works for our entire company. From day to day PDF viewing, complicated contract markup and review, plan take-off and viewing; it really works for all of it. After a month or so of using the product I personally got used to it faster than I ever did other comparable PDF programs.
February 12, 2019

Bluebeam Revu Review: "Bluebeam"

Bluebeam Revu is used throughout our entire organization. It was purchased to replace Adobe since the general consensus by employees was that Bluebeam Revu offered more. The problems that it addresses are being more reasonably priced than its competitors, offering more features related to construction and architecture, and being more user-friendly.
  • Bluebeam Revu has the ability to read plans and help with my takeoffs. If you are looking for something specific, the search function can look for either words or symbols which is very helpful.
  • There are several shortcuts using the keyboard that save time by not having to point and click.
  • The ability to customize the toolboxes for easier access to features.
  • It allows you to overlay drawings.
  • The learning curve takes a little while as some of the icons and features are different than what you would see if you are switching over from Adobe.
  • Sometimes the wheel on the mouse zooms in and out of the page and other times it scrolls up and down. I have not yet found a rhyme or reason as to why it does that.
  • Sometimes when converting project schedules or Word docs to PDF it adds unwanted formatting changes.
  • Combining PDF files through "stapling" could be easier and done in fewer steps.
Bluebeam Revu is a great product for all users but specifically helpful to those in the construction industry. Its functions make takeoffs much easier especially with the option to use a customizable scale. If you are reviewing drawings, it is very easy to mark up documents and make notes. It is less appropriate for those who work with larger file sizes because they can bog down the project and slow it down.
Charlie Jewkes profile photo
September 14, 2017

Bluebeam Revu Review: "Bluebeam Power"

It's being used across the entire organization (at least in my district here in Southern California). It is a great tool to view construction PDF drawings and to easily mark up drawings and other documents. It also has some very powerful tools in the Bluebeam Studio where a group of people can work in the same document simultaneously and see real time mark ups.
  • Hyperlink the drawings quickly
  • Name each page in a set of drawings based on the drawing name. This can VERY quickly
  • Collaborate with other people working on the same project, especially when people are in different offices
  • Marking up PDFs
  • The takeoff function needs some work. It's main competitor (OST) is a much easier and user-friendly tool for doing large, detailed takeoff.
Bluebeam is a great tool to organize your drawings. They have made it extremely easy to rename drawings and bookmark drawings. The hyperlink feature is also a great tool. Bluebeam has essentially made it possible (and effective) to use only digital drawings. You could argue that with Bluebeam, you never need to order a set of drawings again. They have made it so easy to navigate a set of drawings using both the hyperlinks and bookmarks.
Read Charlie Jewkes's full review
Tony Grasso profile photo
November 07, 2017

"Construction Project Engineer's Review of Bluebeam Revu"

Bluebeam is used for a variety of tasks across the entire company. It is a critical piece of our software that is used daily by the majority of the office staff whether assigned to a project or overseeing operations across the entire operating group. It is by far the most useful tool for the field support staff hands down. Bluebeam offers a huge array of tools that enhance communication between the owner, architect, and contractor which minimizes construction errors in the field.
  • Combine, split, extract, reorder, markup, flatten, scale, compare and distribute PDFs - Pretty much anything you want to do with a PDF can be done in this software. The key aspect here is the user friendliness of the document controls. No training is needed to get started with the basics.
  • Toolchests for all general scopes of work. Electrical, plumbing, HVAC, sitework, structural, and architectural symbols are just some of the many available toolchests that markup a drawing for quick and easy takeoffs from design drawings.
  • Document management with slip sheeting. Easily add new PDFs into the current contract documents in the correct locations while ensure the outdated documents are logged for future reference if needed.
  • RFI's and submittals tools are OK if your company uses them but there are better systems out there. There are quite a few steps involved in sending an RFI through Bluebeam that are unnecessary with other programs.
Bluebeam Revu excels at manipulating PDFs (which conveniently is used by nearly all of the construction industry). Specifically, I utilize these tools to develop visual references when submitting materials for engineering review (submittals) or asking questions of the design team (RFI's). Additionally, exporting CAD files to PDF format allows them to be opened in Bluebeam where all of the CAD layers are imported as well (much easier to manipulate layers in Bluebeam than CAD). My company utilizes a document management software that handles RFI's, submittals, daily reports, and drawing sets which is specifically designed for that use. Bluebeam isn't an effective substitute for our document management software because Bluebeam wasn't designed specifically for that purpose and still needs some work in that area.
Read Tony Grasso's full review
Justin Barnhart profile photo
August 30, 2017

Bluebeam Revu Review: "Bluebeam the Great!"

As a construction firm, we have implemented the use of Bluebeam over the past 8 years. We only use Bluebeam for our PDF document markups. It is very easy to use and it has so many construction geared tools. It has helped us as a company to push into the paperless way of doing business. For the cost of Bluebeam we have saved 10 fold in not printing documents. We have now got in the habit of printing to PDF and saving instead of printing and filing it away. Bluebeam rocks!!
  • When reviewing drawings, the markup tools are very easy to use. It is a snap to markup a document then forward on to another party.
  • The way the snapshot tool helps take information from one document and paste it into another helps us to be more efficient.
  • Being able to add photos to a drawing is great for project reviews. Our guys will walk the site and take photos and then in Bluebeam select all the photos and add them to a drawing by just click and dragging the photos adding them for an owner to see. This really helps to give a person the to see where and what they are looking at.
  • While creating forms it would be nice if when you copy a form field all the properties transfer when you paste them.
It is very good for 2D drawings and details. They could work on adding or updating the 3D viewer to be a little more friendly. It is not bad but not great.
Read Justin Barnhart's full review
Shawn Cormier profile photo
August 25, 2017

Bluebeam Revu Review: "Bluebeam is a green light in ease of use"

Our entire organization now uses Bluebeam. The product does a lot more than Adobe and is much easier to use. It is used to update PDF documents for construction submittals, compare documents, drawing revisions, hyperlinking, and many other [things]. Some teams use the image recognition for estimating and drawing a comparison for takeoff a when changes are issued.
  • Drawing hyperliking to actual drawing callout areas.
  • Stamping for submittal review.
  • Marking up PDF documents and updating text.
  • Connecting to sharepoint sites.
  • Connecting with Procore for ease of opening PDF files.
  • Integration of photos on top of other documents.
  • I always have confusion how to get out of presentation mode back to normal mode.
  • Better JavaScript creation for stamping.
  • The online instructions are good but would like more advanced instructions.
Bluebeam is well suited as a corporate platform. There are many advantages to dashboard creation, hyperlinking in PDF, and using the Studio environment for collaboration. I haven't used Studio myself but other members state that working with an architect or other team members provides a great platform for collaboration.
Read Shawn Cormier's full review
Adam Sonntag profile photo
September 25, 2017

Bluebeam Revu Review: "Simple Easy PDFs"

Bluebeam is used pretty widely across the entire company to create, review, and markup PDFs that are sent. As a construction company , Bluebeam is an amazing tool for reviewing submittals for its easy way of manipulating PDFs.
  • Ease of manipulating PDFs.
  • Creating PDFs and compiling PDFs into one single documents is a breeze.
  • The added plug-in tools make reviewing and marking up documents effective and easy.
  • The amount of functionality that the software has, is more than what I use.
Bluebeam is a great well rounded PDF editing software. It is heavily focused for construction but can be used for anything.
Read Adam Sonntag's full review
December 01, 2017

Bluebeam Revu Review: "Bluebeam is the only way to make Juicy PDF's in the Construction Industry"

The software is used for proposals, estimating and operations. It is our default pdf program for presentations and take-off.
  • It is a powerful tool for simple take-offs.
  • Great for graphical presentation.
  • Works well with collaboration to review documents.
  • The interface is overwhelming.
  • Bluebeam Studio sometimes runs slow.
Bluebeam is well suited for take-offs and marking up documents.

Bluebeam struggles with creating drafting and creating drawings.
November 10, 2017

Bluebeam Revu Review: "Bluebeam in a nutshell"

It's being used by a couple people within our company as an alternative to Adobe. There are many more options with Bluebeam which is used to markup submittals and is extremely easy to use. At any given time I can have up to 15 PDF files open and Bluebeam has instant access to them with the recent tab.
  • Recent and recall of PDFs that you had open so you can easily flip back in forth between files all within the same window.
  • Instant access to a list of tools and setting of the defaults.
  • At times it is difficult to find out where a certain function is.
  • Some secure files won't open in Bluebeam and must be used in Adobe.
  • The comparisons feature has difficulties with scanned documents.
It is well suited when marking up and comparing documents such as submittals. It's well suited for dual screens when reviewing submittals to specs and or drawings. I can't think of a time where it is less suited in my day to day use of Bluebeam.
September 05, 2017

Bluebeam Revu Review: "Bluebeam>Adobe"

Bluebeam is being used as a tool across the entire organization. I would say it does not serve a main purpose but is a required connection between processes and deliverables. In construction we use it for quick estimates, altering documents, creating documents, taking notes on drawings, creating color coating plans. A key purpose of this program is to help convey client ideas.
  • PDF editing with the capabiity of signatures.
  • Accurate scaling. This allows for quick estimating to know not only you are in the ball park but what base you're close to.
  • Tagging edits. This way colleagues can pass a document around and understand who said what.
  • Not integrated on other web based construction platforms.
  • A lot going on so its a lot to take in.
As I previously stated, 2 good scenarios are taking a drawing putting a scale on it and getting a fairly close estimate. They offer options such as area, volume, perimeter etc. The other is the ability to very easily color code drawings allowing for visual communication to be a go to.
September 15, 2017

Bluebeam Revu Review: "BLUE out the competition."

At this time, Bluebeam is being used by my entire office here in Los Angeles. We made a transition from Adobe to Bluebeam a few years ago and everyone seems to be satisfied. Not only is the pricing better than Adobe, but the program is also a lot more user friendly.
  • Able to scale drawings without having to upload drawings into our cost estimating software.
  • Able to rename drawings without having to do it manually.
  • Can screenshot areas from PDFs for email purposes (e.g. details).
  • So far I have not seen the need for any improvements, although the more user friendly the better.
  • Pricing can always be improved for my students (e.g.interns)
When required to review drawings, one of the best capabilties that Bluebeam offers is the ability to layer images for drawing changes, Change orders and addenda drawings are much simpler when you don't have to manually find changes. There is less room for human error when the program color coats the changes for you.
August 25, 2017

Bluebeam Revu Review: "Bluebeam Overview"

Bluebeam Revu solves the problem of a collaborative space using studio and can streamline meetings when using sessions. It is an incredible tool for documentation control as well editing of drawings and specs for communication to outside vendors and subcontractors.
  • Studio
  • Level of employee access can be controlled
  • Documentation control
  • PDF manipulation
  • Drawing tools using decimals
  • Burning PDFs using Bluebeam
  • Stapling non PDFs and being able to use them as non PDFs
Collaboration, document editing and control, and drawing manipulation are key tools that I use every day on Bluebeam and have only found on this product exclusively that helps me stay more organized in the construction industry.
Christian Maxwell profile photo
August 04, 2017

Bluebeam Revu Review: "Markup Majesty - Bluebeam Rules"

Bluebeam is used across the our whole company most particularly though it is used by the project management teams. Bluebeam is our go-to PDF viewer and editor and it is used for RFIs and submittals as well as contract viewing and marking up. I have never used a PDF viewer and editor that does as much as Bluebeam or does what it does half as well.
  • Clear and easy viewing of project plans.
  • In depth and extremely detailed mark up tools and sketching tools.
  • Excellent help and support services.
  • The sketch to scale tools are minimal and could be expanded.
  • The group editing and selection is not the easiest to use.
  • I think drawing tools could be improved in placing and editing line dimensions.
I think that Bluebeam is best suited to the scenarios where documents need to be reviewed, marked up or edited. The capacity of things that Bluebeam can do in these situations is vast. Bluebeam is not as well suited to quickly or super accurately drawing and creating sketches. It can be used in this capacity but it definitely is not the program's strength.
Read Christian Maxwell's full review
Angelique Hamm profile photo
August 01, 2017

Bluebeam Revu Review: "Bluebeam won't leave you Blue!"

[Bluebeam Revu is used] Across entire company for the most part. Accounting typically utilizes it only for pdf creation or combining.
Precon Dept: All of our TakeOffs, VE areas or items, Plan Reviews & Markups, Budget Items, Plan Viewing, Loading into PlanGrid.
New Construction: Our field teams use Bluebeam for the majority of their Submittals, RFI's, any takeoffs needed.
  • The Measuring Tool Set is invaluable for takeoffs. The ability to create specific tools you use most often or assign tools to specific trades, disciplines or specific plan sheets is super helpful.
  • I use the Summary view a lot. Assigning different colors to areas, materials, etc. during a takeoff is great, but the summary export to Excel is awesome for our budgets.
  • I've just recently learned how to apply specific formulas to columns or items - so Bluebeam automatically calcs out costs per area or sf etc! And this info comes through in the Summary tab for export!
  • Like Adobe X or Adobe Pro - the ability to create, combine or edit multiple pdfs is super handy. Bookmarking is so simple.
  • Additional explanation on snap to grid [and] snap to content.
Estimating -
DEFINITELY WELL SUITED

Contracts or Docs w/ Custom Watermarks or E Signature capability -
DEFINITELY WELL SUITED

Accounting Functions (AP, AR) -
I don't see where Bluebeam would be particularly resourceful more than another program.
Read Angelique Hamm's full review
Zachary Hill profile photo
July 19, 2017

Bluebeam Revu Review: "Bluebeam - The future of Document Management, Mark-Ups, and Sharing"

It is being used by the entire organization and it addresses the business problem of communicating issues using visual aids.
  • Marking up PDFs
  • PDF file manipulation (combining, extracting, etc.)
  • Transfer of information through Bluebeam Studio
  • Allow for the less feature-full versions to make PDFs searchable
  • Easier color processing for documents
  • Better means of allowing users without premium access to use some of the more rudimentary features
It is great for creating RFIs or submittals in the construction management world. Marking up drawings or documents to convey specifically to a general contractor, architect, engineer, or owner is made very simple by the ease-of-use Bluebeam provides as well as the flattening feature so as not to provide too much information.
Read Zachary Hill's full review
Matthew Warren profile photo

"Bluebeam Revu Review"

Bluebeam Revu has allowed us to standardize on a digital format for our drawings and specs. The cost of the software has allowed us to easily implement the program throughout the entire company addressing multiple situations. We use the markup tools on our drawings and specs to expedite our design process. The markup tools along with the close ties the program has to Revit allows us to build a punch list from a site visit instantly. The stamping tool allows us to certify our documents for bid along with reviewing and commenting on submittals from contractors.
  • Being able to batch stamp a set of documents. A 200 page set of drawings can be stamped in seconds instead of hours, while still having control of the stamp.
  • Being able to markup a file remotely. Thus increasing efficiency.
  • Having the ability to have multiple users markup the same file.
  • The ease of being able to add, remove, or shuffle pages around in a multi-page PDF.
  • The user interface can be overwhelming at times. There are too many different ways you can set up the interface thus making it difficult to find commands at times.
  • Using the batch command to add a stamp needs to be streamlined.
  • Need the ability to group markup features.
The program is well suited for use when marking up a document for someone else to edit is needed. It is particularly helpful when the editing process is done by someone remotely. It does not work very well if you have a lot of graphical markups unless you have developed a tool box already. For example, if you are showing a change in a pipe route and only have a mouse for drawing the routing, it is a pain (this issue gets somewhat resolved if you have a stylist).
Read Matthew Warren's full review
Todd Azinger profile photo
July 18, 2017

Bluebeam Revu Review: "Must have PDF tool that can go from PDF to Revit and back again."

Bluebeam is used by the construction teams primarily on the job sites, but it is also utilized by the estimating department and even the clerical side of our work. It is an accurate tool for dimensions and is used to articulate issues in the field. I use it to show progress thru layering weekly to monthly while adding in photos. I use it to mark up drawings for RFIs, submittals and to send official documents.
  • Dimensioning of drawings, including volume and doing take offs for concrete form work.
  • Mark ups for RFI clarifications.
  • Searching for information in documents, i.e. specification sections.
  • Collaboration of drawings in Studio is a big bonus. Crews in the field can make comments to drawings and get results back from the office efficiently.
  • Dimensioning on the iPad could be improved.
  • OCR recognition could be improved.
Bluebeam should be in every superintendent's laptop, and probably tablet. I would like to see it on my Android phone.
Read Todd Azinger's full review
Tory Wagoner profile photo
July 18, 2017

Bluebeam Revu Review: "Bluebeam, a great alternative to Adobe and easy to use!"

Our whole construction company uses Bluebeam Revu for many things. We use it to view and edit .pdf files. We mark up .pdf files when requesting additional information from designers. We use it to combine .pdf files into single documents. We use it as a tool to measure things on plan sets and to highlight important items.
  • Allows you to mark up, and make comments on .pdf's.
  • Allows you to measure locations and items on engineered plans that are in .pdf format.
  • Allows you to combine multiple .pdf's into a single .pdf or to extract specific pages from larger files.
  • Sometimes fillable .pdf forms do not work correctly if they were made on Adobe. Sometimes the format is not correct if a form was originally made in Adobe.
  • Sometimes the software holds files hostage if they are in the recently viewed list and other software or people are not allowed to use it until the Bluebeam is completely closed.
Bluebeam is well suited for almost any application from modifying plans to using it to make text in a .pdf editable. It can be less appropriate when trying to use fillable forms that were created using Adobe.
Read Tory Wagoner's full review
Will Kosnik profile photo
February 28, 2017

Bluebeam Revu Review: "Best PDF Editor Available"

We use BlueBeam for quite a few things. We are using it over 80% of our company. We use it as a PDF viewer. We also use it as a PDF editor. We use it to link together multiple PDF files. We use it to create forms. As a construction company, we use it across the board since it is so versatile. We have actually made fillable forms with BlueBeam in a scenario where we usually a program to create RFIs, and it wasn't working. We quickly were able to make a form we could use while it was down.
  • BlueBeam is great for creating fillable PDF forms. You can have text boxes, drop downs and radio buttons to press to get the info you need.
  • You can easily link PDF files with other PDFs. Example: we might have a blue print of a job site, and there is the main view, and then other cut views of the blue print. We can color code the main view in certain areas, where you can click, and it will take you right to the cut view of the area you clicked.
  • It has great options for adding stamps and signatures
  • The "stapler" feature allows you take multiple files, and different file types, and it will convert them right into a PDF for you
  • You can take PDF documents and convert them into word or excel documents.
  • With creating PDF forms, while there are quite a few options, there are still a few that I would like to see. Example: you can create a fillable text box. But it will only fit across the page so far. I'd like to be able to make it an unlimited box that the end user could scroll down and see, or re-proportion the screen to see all of the text.
As a basic PDF viewer, it is a bit overkill. But being able to convert PDF to word and excel, and take excel and word and make them PDF documents, it is amazing. Also, being able to edit blue prints and mark them up is great. The price point isn't cheap, but if you won't use at least 80% of the features, it might be overkill
Read Will Kosnik's full review

Plan distribution & viewing (25)
Plan markups & sharing (26)
9.5
Issue tracking & punchlists (16)
Photo documentation (17)
Jobsite reports (13)
Document sharing (24)
RFI tools (18)
Collaboration & approvals (22)
As-built drawings (21)
9.4
Mobile app (15)
Submittal design and management (3)
Takeoff tools (8)