Overall Satisfaction with Canvas
Canvas is used by Centralia College as the learning management system for our students and faculty in several ways. We have taken advantage of the quick and easy nature to create courses to support students in both their academic course management as well as clubs, events, seminars, and other student activities. In my job, I have taken advantage of the robust and reliable Canvas API to create some great applications for the institution using the data provided from Canvas. Using Canvas helps get the information to the students quickly and reliably. This means success for our students.
- The Canvas API is easy to understand and use for custom application needs at your business/institution.
- Students appreciate the ease of communicating with instructors and support staff using Canvas.
- Faculty find it is quite easy to do quizzes, tests, and organize their course materials and lectures.
- The Canvas mobile experience on Android is not as good as on Apple.
- Those people who use SMS messages in Canvas get a minimum of 2 texts per announcement - then they have to login. It is a bit cumbersome.
- Canvas needs a better forum/collaborative environment for the administrators and developers to go to talk about the product and get questions answered.
- Canvas has provided the ability to perform faster data analysis of programs and program outcomes.
- Canvas allows our students to actively engage in their educational experience.
- Our instructional staff and support staff have used Canvas to collaborate more effectively, increasing student success and program results.
Canvas provides a modern, responsive, friendly interface to perform the required tasks for both students and instructional staff. Canvas has a robust API with which we can create our own utility applications outside of the LMS environment. The Canvas API also allows for programmatic reports, and reliable data for use in our dashboards, and other data analytic tools. Canvas has a very fast customer service team who are capable professionals, helpful, and friendly. Canvas is constantly updating their infrastructure so our students are given a cutting edge experience from day one.
Canvas is the best LMS available today on the market. I would ensure that your institution has a department devoted to supporting this application. Many faculty who do not use an LMS appreciate guidance when setting up courses and putting their content for students to use. I would also ensure that you understand the difference in environments from cloud hosts to on premises, and if hosted yourself - ensure you have a server/application team who understands Ruby.