November 27, 2019
Score 8 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with CATIA
The whole organization uses it for 3D modeling of new and modified parts, and also modeling assemblies of partial or whole products. It is also used in other plants, but I'm not so sure if it's the standard software used for this type of activity.
- Easy modeling with production steps in mind.
- Surface modeling is pretty intuitive and makes possible to design complex geometries faster.
- Model edit is practical, making possible to edit a geometry parameter and rerun the program to have the new parameters ready.
- CATIA works very well for assemblies too, it makes possible to easily attach parts and bind specific parameters, also to hide parts that are not desirable for the analysis.
- The software is pretty heavy, even with computers designed for heavy-duty loads, resulting in long wait times to load files and make changes, reducing productivity.
- The ease of modeling helps a lot to save time, in both modeling new parts and also assemblies, which in the end makes a great positive impact on the development.
CATIA is much easier to work with than SOLIDWORKS, models come to life in fewer steps and designing complex geometries is more practical and takes less time. Also, doing assemblies is much easier too, and there are more possibilities to work with each part of the assembly. SOLIDWORKS ends up being more intuitive for new users, so it is better to teach users how to start 3D modeling with it.
Do you think CATIA delivers good value for the price?
Are you happy with CATIA's feature set?
Did CATIA live up to sales and marketing promises?
I wasn't involved with the selection/purchase process
Did implementation of CATIA go as expected?
I wasn't involved with the implementation phase
Would you buy CATIA again?
CATIA works well for modeling complex designs and dealing with assemblies, and also helping with analysis for production line assembly and manufacturing through stamping, molding, injection, and others. CATIA also integrates very well with Teamcenter, the PLM software which we use in our company, making it easy to upload files and dealing with approval processes for new designs - although the time it takes for loading parts and saving could be reduced to improve productivity.