Adobe Illustrator CC

Monthly

per month

Yearly - Billed Upfront

per year

What is Adobe Illustrator?

Adobe Illustrator CC is a vector-based graphic design software.

Adobe Illustrator Technical Details

Deployment TypesOn-premise
Operating SystemsWindows, Mac

Alternatives

What are Adobe Illustrator's top competitors?

Adobe PhotoShop and Canva are common alternatives for Adobe Illustrator.

What is Adobe Illustrator's best feature?

Reviewers rate Support Rating highest, with a score of 8.5.

Who uses Adobe Illustrator?

The most common users of Adobe Illustrator are from Small Businesses and the Marketing & Advertising industry.

Nicolas Piemontez | TrustRadius Reviewer
Within the organization, I produce all digital and printed graphic material. I use illustrator to work mainly with vectors, some illustrations, creating stamps and some visual identities, and all printed material. Due to its quality of tools and specific use for this type of material and art, I consider the illustrator to be a fundamental tool for the production of graphic materials with excellence that does not lose quality with zooming or printing.
  • Illustration
  • vectorization
  • printed materials
  • Distribution of memory disks
  • More affordable pricing
  • Problems with crashes
Indicated and suitable for companies and agencies that work with the creation of materials for social media, digital graphics and printed materials. Suitable for any scenario and for those who want to produce high quality material without image pixelation. A scenario not very suitable would be the use without proper knowledge of the tool, it would be interesting to see the tutorials and guides available by Adobe
Dawood Awan | TrustRadius Reviewer
I am a freelance graphic designer, and I use adobe apps and softwares to do my work. I primarily use Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop for professional graphic designing. This is a vector graphics editor and you can make anything you imagine! What I love the most about it is that it also contains brushes and you can customize them on your own! I love the watercolor brushes. This program is for professional graphic designing and it is an industry standard software. Because of having a lot of features, it is not beginner friendly. You might feel lost in its features, and the user interface is pretty confusing. But once you master it, you will love it.
  • Brushes!
  • You can use the pre-made brushes + customize your own. You can also buy or download brushes from websites.
  • Export in a variety of formats.
  • I can export my artworks in many formats like AI,EPS,PSD ,JPEG,JPG,PNG, PDF, etc.
  • Constantly updated software!
  • With the new updates, the user-interface becomes more flexible. You have the freedom to choose what feature you like to be displayed on canvas or not and you can literally customize it.
  • Adobe softwares are always updated as you can check that they released 5+ updated versions of adobe illustrator during the past few years. This is a lot helpful as graphic design trends and needs change with time, so does illustrator! With every version, you get a lot of extra features and they always save time and make designing easier and better.
  • Handle load.It can handle extensive files unlike other free softwares, they crash when overloaded with complex designs.
  • Complex work. You can do complex and intricate designs with illustrator without quality loss. I created many 3d artworks with illustrator by using the mesh tool.
  • Too much size!
  • Adobe Illustrator is over 2 Gb and it makes my computer slower (especially if you are using a computer with an old processor). It takes time to start.
  • Pricey. The subscription plans may be a little pricey..
  • Not beginner-friendly. You need a lot of practice to learn the tricks as there are so many features and you might feel overwhelmed.
It is best for professional graphic designing. I wish it had built-in tutorials.The user interface is a bit messy and not suitable for beginners. You need advanced computers if you want to install its latest updated versions, as the system requirements are quite strict. For the 2021 version(which is the latest version) you need at least 8Gb RAM to make it work properly. In essence, the more you use it, the more you love it.
September 03, 2021

Worth the Time

Emily Hammell | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Illustrator to design vector files and logos usually. We use these files for signage, indoor and outdoor, and to ensure files do not lose resolution. It makes it much easier to order marketing materials and signage when we can send print-ready files to expedite processing and shipments. It also saves us in designs costs from vendors as well.
  • Lots of image customizations and options
  • Most formal designers will want vector files which you can create.
  • More advanced options that photoshop or indesign.
  • Can be difficult to learn
  • Could use more helpful tips and guides
  • More interactive guides
Well suited for creating and converting vector files. Also offers a lot of customizations for file editing, which can come in very hardy. For basic image editing or file designing, I would prefer Photoshop or InDesign. Illustrator has so many options that I try to avoid using it, simply because for my basic day-to-day tasks, there are simpler products to use.
Marry Wilson | TrustRadius Reviewer
Our company uses Adobe Illustrator to make the most complicated design projects possible. With the help of this product, we have been able to reduce the time it takes to accomplish a task by 80%! Adobe Illustrator is an easy-to-use design tool that makes it possible to create complex illustrations. The program has a clean interface with various devices that allow me to create graphics without wasting time setting up layers quickly. I use Adobe Illustrator CC to create visualizations and professional presentations for sales briefs and proposals. I have also used it to create taglines.
  • If you are into graphic design, illustration, or illustration, you need to use Adobe Illustrator CC. It is the best software for vector graphics and professional photographs. I love using it because of the easy-to-use interface and features that I need in my work.
  • Adobe Illustrator is the best software in the market; it does what it promises. It has various tools and customizable options, making it easy to use. Its interface is sleek and user-friendly, which makes your workflow seamless.
  • I've been a user of Illustrator for a few years now and I am quite disappointed with the latest update. It has many glitches, some of which make it unuseable. This needs to be fixed so I can continue using this application.
  • When buying an app, the first thing to look for is if it's worth your time and money. Adobe Illustrator CC has much room for improvement in this sense, making it hard to use, missing features, and not being able to handle larger files. It offers something unique and valuable while also offering some features that make the user experience more pleasant.
Adobe Illustrator is my go-to software for all my design-related projects. It is powerful, easy to use, and has many excellent features that I can't live without. The only thing I would say about their software is that it's not as versatile as other options out there in the market, which are more affordable and easier to work with.
Lucas Piemontez | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use [Adobe] Illustrator [CC] daily in my demands in the marketing sector; we produce content for social networks, blogs, prints, eBooks, [and] videos among others. Its quality, integration, and ease help a lot in our work. We produce quality content with a system that best matches our expectations. I haven't found any software that allows me to work with vectors and illustrations with this quality and with the variety of tools and functions that [Adobe] Illustrator [CC] has.
  • Illustration
  • Vectorization
  • Printed materials
  • Memory distribution
  • Add some [Adobe] PhotoShop functions
  • Better distribution of sub-tools
[For] companies that work with the creation of visual identity, this software [is] essential to use. [It is suited for] companies and places that regularly use vectors and illustrations in their demands, such as marketing agencies and companies with internal marketing sectors. [It is additionally suited for] software companies that regularly work with website creation and product design, [as well as] companies that use packaging designers. All these cases I see as an essential use of [Adobe] Illustrator [CC].
The marketing department of our company uses the entire Adobe Suite, including Illustrator primarily for our product label designs, vector drawings of icons and backgrounds, and all of our logo designs. We often need to have our designs in vector so they are scalable for various printing formats - so this is ideal. Also, Illustrator is one of the most widely used platforms in the world, so it's easy to also work on projects with outside contractors because of the popularity of this program.
  • Vector drawing and scaling
  • Easy user interface
  • Tons of interface tools to work with
  • Ability to import and export in various formats, as well as importing into other Adobe programs
  • There are so many tools that it can be overwhelming to learn how to use all aspects of the program.
  • As the program is upgraded, sadly they eventually get too overwhelming for older video cards - forcing you to either upgrade or deal with the lag.
  • Very rarely the program will hang or even crash. I've never been able to pinpoint exactly why.
Adobe Illustrator is the industry standard for creating vector objects - especially logos, labels, and other mediums that need to be easily scalable. We also use the program for icons and creating images for our presentations. I would recommend Photoshop for more pixel based images, especially with blending, color corrections, and more web related material.
Paloma Guimarães | TrustRadius Reviewer
The organization uses Adobe Illustrator CC to teach Graphic Design classes and get students to engage and practice using the software so that they will be able to use it in a professional setting in the future. It helps with the creation of artwork, posters, business cards, social media posts and material for websites
  • Vectorizing images
  • Creating Logos
  • using easy shortcuts
  • It could be simpler to use
  • There could be more free tutorials available
  • The price should be lower
Adobe Illustrator is an amazing software that can be used in mny different ways at any company! It is simple to learn the basics and ca help a company with their online presence on social media apps such as Facebook and Instagram. They can also be used to create logos and visual identity.
Killer vector design abilities.Excellent Touch Type feature.Simplified Free Transform tool. The powerful Puppet Warp feature allows the transformation of select portions of illustrations. Many improvements to existing features. Adobe Illustrator CC is being used for nearly 80% of all design-related work for clients. It's one of the best parts of the Adobe Creative Suite considering it's vector-based and being that we have a variety of clients who need both digital and print related assets, vector-based is the best so that resolution doesn't get lost.AI is well suited for designers and illustrators who need to create scalable artwork or assets and don't want to lose resolution. Clean and beautiful work can be created with AI. However, the learning curve is not the quickest so it is better suited for those who either already have some knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite or for those who are willing to spend the time and money to learn from a course or on their own.AI is well suited for originators and artists who ought to make adaptable craftsmanship work or resources and do not need to lose determination. Clean and excellent work can be made with AI. In any case, the learning bend isn't the fastest so it is way better suited for those who either as of now have a [little] information of the Adobe Creative Suite or for those who are willing to spend the time and cash to memorize from a course or on their claim.
  • very good for vector design with color variation and sharpness that is really amazing
  • the smart guide doesn't appear until now I haven't found a solution. adobe creative suite cc 18
pros n cons - Vector drawing and scaling - Easy client interface - Tons of interface instruments to work with - Ability to consequence and send out in different designs, as well as bringing in into other Adobe programs - There are so numerous apparatuses that it can be overpowering to memorize how to utilize all viewpoints of the program. - As the program is updated, tragically they inevitably get as well overpowering for more seasoned video cards - constraining you to either overhaul or bargain with the lag. - Very once in a while the program will hang or indeed crash. I've never been able to pinpoint precisely why.
Absolutely loved using Adobe Illustrator as a designer at my company within our Marketing Department. It would 100% be my go to software to use and was used the most out of the entire Adobe Creative Suite. I would absolutely recommend to those who want to create vector based graphics or illustrations.
  • Vector Graphics
  • Typography
  • Iconography
  • Print Graphics
  • Limited working area
Some great examples that I've used Illustrator for have been:
  • Printed Graphics (Posters, Business Cards)
  • Providing graphics for websites (SVG files)
  • Creating iconography from scratch
  • Composing visual branding elements
  • Customizing typography
Scenarios where I've switched to other software have been:
  • Website prototypes
  • Image editing
  • Book layout and design
  • Animation
Adobe Illustrator is something that I've been using for years and it's something that I don't think I can get along without. I use it for the graphic design phase of most projects and I also teach my students how to use this as marketing majors. The powers of Adobe Illustrator are amazing and I'm able to manipulate and create graphics with ease.
  • Image creation.
  • Outlining and creating vector images.
  • Logo design.
  • It's really hard to figure out how do use without some training.
  • Even though I use it on a daily basis I still have things to learn.
  • It's not as user-friendly as I would like it to be.
Adobe illustrator is really great when I had to create graphics from scratch. It is not great when you were trying to do a piece that is going to go to the printer such as a mailer or a postcard. It's also not great for social media images unless you were using it to build assets that you're going to place an image at a later point in time.
Heather Miller | TrustRadius Reviewer
We currently use Adobe Illustrator CC in our Design department. Whenever a need arises to create a vector illustration or detailed graph, Illustrator is our go-to. There have been times we've used it even as our main graphic design program for events and programs that need printed materials, but mainly we use it to create intricate illustrations to insert into other files. Our department currently uses it, and I believe other graphic designers on-campus use it frequently as well.
  • Vector Illustration. There are a lot of tools present in Adobe Illustrator that give you the freedom to create whatever you're thinking of.
  • Detailed Graph creation. When we need something with more options than Excel to create graphs, Adobe Illustrator has many more options to play with.
  • Pasteboard freedom. When working on a project that has multiple sizes and iterations that are needed, it's possible to create all the different pasteboard sizes in one file. There's no need to create 15 separate files for 15 differently-sized web graphics, simply duplicate, resize, and export all within one file.
  • Huge Learning Curve. I've been using Adobe Illustrator for over 10 years and there are still things I don't know how to do and need to look up tutorials for. The information you need is all out there, but you definitely have to take the initiative to learn those intricacies yourself.
  • Doesn't always give the desired result. Sometimes I'll try to create something, and I implement my plan, but some shape wasn't fully closed, or there was a clipping mask somewhere I wasn't aware of, and suddenly it won't do what I want. It can be frustrating when trying to create something quickly and coming up on a brick wall like that.
  • Keyboard commands don't line up with other Adobe programs. Since I alternate between InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop quite frequently, I tend to have different keyboard commands memorized. But there are certain commands that InDesign has, that Illustrator uses for a completely different tool. It can be frustrating and I feel like I always have to relearn what I had memorized.
Adobe Illustrator CC is great for graphic designers to create icons, illustrations, graphics, and fonts. Some designers use it primarily to design everything from posters, postcards, web graphics, etc, but I believe Illustrator is less suited for this, and InDesign should be used for those purposes. Illustrator is great for creating graphics that would get added [to] programs like InDesign.
Adobe Illustrator CC is being used by the marketing department. It is mainly used for creating various types of marketing materials, and also the logos and other virtual marketing materials that are needed for documents like reports, manuals, leaflets, brochures, websites, and letter header and footer for some of the official documents like purchase orders, quotations, invoices, etc.
  • Compatibility with other Adobe products.
  • Familiar interface that is used for many years.
  • Many other users worldwide make[s] it easy to share files for editing.
  • Software itself is resource demanding.
  • Many extra features required more plugins.
  • File size tends to become larger for newer versions.
This would benefit huge corporations with many different graphic designers [due to] the compatibility of the files among different countries and regions, and the online collaboration features may also benefit projects which have huge scale and not to be done by a single user.

For a user that is a standalone designer, and the works will only ever be edited by himself, or there are many more users in the company that use different software, the advantage tends to reduce.
Courtney Birnbaum | TrustRadius Reviewer
Adobe Illustrator CC is used almost daily in the publishing department of my company to access color information from our catalogue of EPS files, although it is also used frequently across the company. [Adobe Illustrator CC] is a reliable vector editor, useful to prepare client files for printing/press preflight, as well as create our own images to be used in digital and printed publications.
  • Create resizable images (vector images)
  • Export files into image files at multiple sizes
  • Color management: remove spot colors before printing; gather CMYK or RGB values to ensure consistent color use across all projects — this is something that Adobe CC Libraries also assists with greatly.
  • Create files for web use
  • Access to colors or selecting an area of an image can take a few more clicks than expected.
  • The trace tools have come a long way since older versions of Illustrator but still do not reliably transform every image into usable vectors, i.e., you cannot easily transform a photo into line art by merely using a trace tool.
  • I would like to see more free-hand vector pen tools
Adobe Illustrator [CC] is great for creating graphics. It is not as well suited for multi-page text-and-image documents (InDesign is your best bet there) or photo editing (you want Photoshop). Sometimes [Adobe Illustrator CC] makes your graphic art so simple, as it has many helpful tools, and Adobe even offers tutorials on their website as a reliable resource for learning how to use their extensive tools better. However, artists looking to draw in vectors may prefer a software with more brush options and other artist-focused tools (Clip Studio Paint comes to mind here as being very artist friendly, but I am uncertain about its vector properties). In summary, Illustrator does logos and graphics incredibly well, and can be used as substitute for text layout software in a pinch.
Terra Stafford | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use [Adobe Illustrator CC] in the Design and Video teams at our company. We use [Adobe Illustrator CC] for graphics that we use in PPT presentations, creating icons, building infographics, storyboarding images that the video team animates, creating/managing graphic libraries, and more. If there's anything we need to be able to expand into large sizes or import as an editable object within PPT, we start in Illustrator. Our team uses it every day to prepare images for all of our client projects.
  • Vector graphics for scaling to large sizes
  • Filling an object with a texture
  • Easily adjusting and expanding an artboard to fit the size of the content (especially for infographics)
  • Compatibility with other Adobe CC programs, but also exporting for PPT graphics
  • There needs to be a quicker way to ungroup layers of grouped objects (like Ungroup > Ungroup All) so that you can quickly cut through grouped objects to edit what you need
  • The latest version of Illustrator CC has been slow to sync or activate fonts
  • I wish the export versions would integrate with Google Slides like SVGs integrate as objects for PPT
[Adobe] Illustrator CC is the industry standard for creating vector graphics, infographics, icons, and being able to download editable stock graphics to use in various applications. As the Design Team lead for our company, I wouldn't hire someone that doesn't know how to use Illustrator. We use it almost every day, and it touches every client project that we create.
April 15, 2021

Eric Batson | TrustRadius Reviewer
[Adobe Illustrator CC] is not used widely across the company. There are a number of us in the Training and Development department who use it to create graphics that are incorporated into eLearning lessons and videos that we produce. I have used it to create 2d graphics, icons, and logos.
  • It allows you to create vector graphics that can be manipulated as you need.
  • It provides the ability to create professional looking graphics.
  • You can manipulate fonts in many ways.
  • The pen tool takes practice, and is not intuitive for some people.
  • There are MANY features that may be overwhelming for a beginner.
  • You need to also use Photoshop to create gifs, versus only using Illustrator.
[Adobe Illustrator CC] is perfect for creating images that range from basic "flat" graphics to more complex 3d graphics using gradients, shadows, shading, etc. It is perfect for logo design and novel graphic creation. It also includes the ability to incorporate and manipulate text. I have used it to work with image files, although that is not its main purpose.
Lochan Kalicharan | TrustRadius Reviewer
We have been using Adobe Illustrator CC through our campus for both students and faculty members across a few key departments that are involved with media creation. This includes but is not limited to teaching materials and supplemental departmental information. Aside from using it, we are also involved with supporting users needing troubleshooting for the software.
  • Vector Graphics
  • Signage
  • Medical Models
  • Support
Adobe Illustrator CC is the best in its class and when it comes to tasks we are currently using it for. We have not found alternatives or substitutions that can match what Adobe Illustrator CC does at the same price point. It excels in its ability to work with building various vectors from scratch and allows to also revise work from vendors.
Sissy Yee | TrustRadius Reviewer
  • Vector scaling.
  • Clean beautiful art work.
  • Easier to learn if you're familiar with Adobe PhotoShop or InDesign.
  • General shortcuts should be the same as other parts of the Adobe Creative Suite.
  • Pen tool anchor points don't always move into the exact place, even when all "snap options" are off.
  • Colors don't seem consistent across Adobe Creative Suite even when both files are RGB or CMYK.
AI is well suited for designers and illustrators who need to create scalable art work or assets and don't want to lose resolution. Clean and beautiful work can be created with AI. However the learning curve is not the quickest so it is better suited for those who either already have some knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite or for those who are willing to spend the time and money to learn from a course or on their own.
Eric Gangnath | TrustRadius Reviewer
Acting as the in-house design team for an organic suncare brand, my team uses Illustrator for everything from print packaging artwork, dieline modification, branding assets (icons, logos, etc.), large format print graphics, and type explorations. I personally use Illustrator daily to design and develop our in market packaging and modify or create dielines for primary and secondary packaging. I also use Illustrator daily to develop our digital marketing graphics and seasonally for new product development mockups.
  • Vector art.
  • Typography.
  • Packaging.
  • Dielines.
  • Large format artwork.
  • Cross functionality with video.
  • Image linking.
  • Exporting for different file types.
Adobe Illustrator is very strong for creating hard line vector artwork. It's easy to take a logo sketch, trace the key strokes, and convert into a printable vector asset. Illustrator is great for product packaging and dieline work. The interface allows for a large artboard and packaging dielines can be very accurately detailed quickly down to the smallest unit of measurement. Illustrator is great for designing brand graphic assets and is very precise in the line work options.

Illustrator is not the type of software to design multi page documents in -- I would use InDesign. It also doesn't function very well for photo corrections or raster based image adjustments -- I would use Photoshop.
Adobe Illustrator CC is implemented in our design and marketing department. This is a daily-use software that lets us quickly and efficiently create and manage vector-based artwork as well as creating layouts for use in our marketing and retail advertising materials. The Creative Cloud support for Adobe Illustrator CC has massively expanded the capabilities of the software, making for a more robust and comprehensive design environment. Adobe Illustrator CC is the industry standard for a reason. Innovative features and easy-to-use tools make Adobe Illustrator CC a must-have software for creatives across the board.
  • Creation and manipulation of vector-based artwork
  • Managing artwork resources
  • Quick editing across compatible programs in the Cloud Suite
  • More text customization options
  • Color books should be able to be saved in Workspaces
  • Live tracing needs further improvements
Adobe Illustrator CC shines when creating and editing vector-based graphics, as well as creating quick layouts. When combined with a drawing tablet or other stylus-input methods, Adobe Illustrator CC becomes a powerful tool for creatives. Adobe Illustrator CC is easily one of Adobe's most flexible programs. Using it in tandem with Adobe PhotoShop CC, a designer can create nearly anything they imagine.
I use Adobe Illustrator CC to design illustrations, logos, and other graphics with ease in my business. I also use Illustrator to manipulate fonts by creating outlines. I like how Adobe Illustrator integrates seamlessly with the other Adobe Creative Cloud software. You can easily add elements to Adobe InDesign, which is very quick and easy to do. I like how the controls sort of mimic other Adobe software, so if you are familiar with InDesign or Photoshop, you could get the hang of Illustrator a little easier. I like that it deals solely with vector art which offers unlimited scaling. Updates are regular with this software, much like other Adobe Creative Cloud software.
  • Integrates with other Adobe Creative Cloud software
  • Easy to add created elements to Adobe InDesign
  • Vector art with unlimited scaling
  • Regular updates so you always have up-to-date software
  • Steep learning curve
  • Would require class, online tutorials or other training to use to full capabilities
  • High cost
  • Large software which uses a lot of space and memory on your computer
Adobe Illustrator is well suited for designing vector art graphics such as logos, text, or illustrations. These are graphics that you want to easily scale and will not produce pixelation. This software does not work well with pixelated graphics, you need Adobe PhotoShop for that. Illustrator is used in print shops, ad agencies, marketing departments worldwide. It is the premier illustration software and industry standard.
Adobe Illustrator is used to make Logo designs, Banner designs, Flyer designs for our clients. The software is used by the whole organisation.
Adobe Illustrator is the top software to use as graphic designers, because it contains all the tools and features to create the best we can for our clients.
We were using an open-source software which lacked some of the tools that Adobe Illustrator had, so we made the investment to purchase the license and now our work has improved greatly.
  • Adobe Illustrator supports multiple page outputs/exports.
  • It integrates very well with the other Adobe products, to create an efficient workflow.
  • It works with all systems; Mac, Windows, Linux...
  • There is infinite resolution with the vectors in Adobe Illustrator.
  • You can have great precision in your work with its intuitive tools to scope/zoom.
  • It has a very steep learning curve and beginners will take a decent amount of time getting used to the software.
  • Photo editing is limited in Adobe Illustrator.
  • Adobe Illustrator doesn't handle pixel art.
  • It is an expensive investment, especially if you are just starting graphic design.
  • The files can sometimes be difficult to share due to file size.
Adobe Illustrator is best if your company really needs an advanced graphic designing software and if you are read to invest a large amount of money either monthly or annually. It's not appropriate for your company if you are just starting out or if you just need a graphic designing software for minor work. As any investment is, it is useful to anyone whose main focus is graphic designing or related to graphic designing.
Kelly Reumann | TrustRadius Reviewer
Adobe Illustrator is currently just being used within our design team. We use it to create artwork for products, packaging/labels, and marketing collateral. Like all of the Adobe programs, it is a top notch vector program. The program is a bit more in depth than others but that's a good thing. It allows us to create better quality quality work.
  • Illustrator has a wealth of different tools which allow you to work quickly and easily, once you get the hang of the interface.
  • Illustrator also works seamlessly with Photoshop which is a big deal for me. I switch back and forth between programs very often. Opening a file from illustrator poses no issues when opened in photoshop
  • Illustrator has the capacity to work on very large files or within many files at once. Other similar programs I've used tend to crash when overloaded with large files.
  • I don't know if it's a glitch or what but when I zoom in really close there tend to be little shadows of lines I've drawn. You can't actually interact with said lines, they're just there on the screen as a ghost of the line which I was zooming in to.
Illustrator is a bit costly in comparison to other vector creation software out there so I'd recommend it for larger companies with more cash to spend. This program is also not for the beginner. I'd recommend it for anyone doing some serious graphic work. Something like Corel is simpler and easier for someone starting out with this kind of thing.
Carl Grivakis | TrustRadius Reviewer
Quickest and most robust prototyping tool for logos, light print design such as invitations, iconography, and presentation backgrounds. Adobe Illustrator Creative Cloud is a constant tool, always open on my PC, and is used through 35-50% of my design process from concept creation to execution. New techniques and methods are shared well throughout the web and can be quickly picked up and executed. Shortcuts make the design process quicker and allow for more billable time.
  • Creating vector graphics for line art icons that can then be exported to Google Slides, or Microsoft Powerpoint, allows for custom graphics versus typical Word Art.
  • The only proper way to execute on a full logo set, the vector elements have been an industry standard, and tools such as shape builder have made the process even faster.
  • Exporting backgrounds to be used in presentations has allowed me to create larger branding options for my client, creating elements to more robustly fulfill their needs.
  • Illustrator is a powerful program, and that makes it a memory hog, so it makes a powerful computer necessary.
  • Recently made available on the IPAD, the tools are nice, but the Illustrator app doesn't have all of the tools the computer-based program has.
  • Might like to see more integration into photoshop and InDesign, at some level, these could almost all be united into one tool.
Illustrator is the king in logo making and development; it's the industry standard. You can also use it to execute the logo suite in a full stationery set, best for single page design, but not for multiple page execution, that should live in InDesign. Illustrator graphics print cleanly regardless of size, so long as they remain vector, but some of the effects might be good to avoid, such as drop shadows, as they are typically rendered as bitmaps.
Currently, we mostly use Adobe Illustrator in our marketing and HR/Operations department. The main items we use it for is to create engaging marketing materials and manuals/documents for staff. a current example would be our learning component for staff. We used Illustrator to create a detailed and vibrant document that provides all of our options available for staff learning and development as we introduced new learning programs for the team to continue to build their skills. Illustrator takes this from being your standard text heavy document to something that can be eye-catching with relevant graphics, infographics, and the like to generate further interest. In short, it makes something that could be boring a lot more interesting to keep interest high.
  • Creation of vibrant engaging documents to generate interest.
  • Illustrator is tough to master, but fun to learn with some fantastic results.
  • Creative Cloud platform provides regular updates to keep everything running smoothly versus the yearly updates previously offered.
  • It's tough to master. If you haven't used Adobe products like Photoshop or Illustrator before, there is a lot to take in.
  • It would be great to have some better options to preview the final product if you're creating a multiple page document.
  • Better integration and pricing points with Adobe Stock for the useful stock images to complete your projects.
Well-suited:
  • You're looking to 'pump up' your marketing or staff materials to make them stand out from the pack and drive better engagement for staff.
  • You have staff in your office who are either familiar with Adobe CC applications or has used something similar.
  • You have some time to dedicate to learning the application with an expectation of a high reward once proficient.
Less Appropriate
  • No one on staff can spare the time to learn the application if they haven't already.
  • You're comfortable with more basic documents within the organization (simplified branding or otherwise).
  • You're a small organization without the potential for a high ROI when using Illustrator.
We use Adobe Illustrator CC to creative graphics for marketing collateral for the college. A lot of those graphics are used on our social media channels, imported into InDesign for printed pieces and for animations created in Adobe After Effects. Illustrator helps us create vector-based graphics that are easily scalable and can be used in other various programs. We also use Illustrator a lot to create logos for different departments.
  • Vectors
  • Easily create for desktop or moblie
  • Illustrations
  • Scalable graphics
  • Usability
  • Software updates reset workspace
  • Learning Curve
As a graphic designer, I use Illustrator a lot concurrently with other programs. I was taught the program during my undergraduate years, so I have been working with it for a long time. I have a lot of coworker as for advise on what program to use for certain things, and while I would recommend Illustrator first when necessary, I am hesitant to suggest it to those who aren't familiar with it at all or any of the other Adobe programs. If you have dabbled in Adobe (InDesign or Photoshop), it will be easier to navigate Illustrator, but if you have never seen it before, you will need a bit of instruction on where things are and how they work.