Adobe Illustrator Reviews

Do you work for this company?

Maria Clara Daly profile photo
Utilized for everything from single-page print mockups to logo design, super-fast wireframing, flow charts and infographics. Where simple Powerpoint and Word art files won't suffice, we have an amazing way to really bring RFPs, proposals and conference materials to life in a vector (scalable) way that makes amazing graphics for social sharing, web and print use alike.
  • Logo creation
  • Single page flyer design/fast comps for digital pieces
  • Infographics
  • Charts with far more custom options than Excel provides
  • This is a tough one: I feel the system is incredibly powerful and incorporates beautifully with the CC suite.
  • The system can on occasion seem a bit slow to 'recognize' a new font that's been added through the external font management system, so it sometimes takes a few (or even a restart of the program) for it to 'see' a missing font that's been reactivated, but this may be local to my machine and network.
  • The pop-out menu for the pen/anchor point tool used to be more robust, including the ability to add and delete points as well as adjust vector paths all from one condensed little menu, I do wish that arrangement would return.
Do not try and use this for multi-page designs—the multiple artboards you'd need to create within one doc are just a pure hassle and it's really a task better suited to InDesign in any case. This is great for any sort of design work where you want to be able to create quick and easy, highly editable vector graphics. It also pairs very nicely when used in tandem with Photoshop to do actual illustration. I think it shines the most when being used to create web assets (whether you export as JPEG, PNG or SVG), infographics, logos and flow charts.
Read Maria Clara Daly's full review
Emily Giannakas profile photo
November 13, 2019

Use This Every Day!

I use Adobe Illustrator CC currently to create and design our social media content, print media, and website design. I am the only user, but I am the one that the company goes to with questions, requests, and the like for making sure that our content is fresh, current, and modern looking.
  • Lots of options for sizes (inches, points, pixels)
  • No bounds to creativity and what you can make
  • Love the ability I have to take something I create within Illustrator and make tweaks within other Adobe products, such as Photoshop and Premiere.
  • It might be my computer, but it takes a while to load each time I'm opening up the application.
  • Sometimes certain tools along the side bar don't work, which can be a pain when you have to figure out how to get them to work again in your current work space.
Illustrator is great for graphic design work across the board and can be used for a wide variety of projects, such as posters, digital ads, short video slides, etc. I can't really think off the top of my head what it wouldn't be good for. But if you have a willingness to learn and spend time with Illustrator, it will open up so many design opportunities to you.
Read Emily Giannakas's full review
Robert Brown profile photo
At Lennis Design, LLC, we use Adobe Illustrator CC for vector logos and shirt designs. We also use it for any print work we're producing and having outsourced. It's flexible and the industry standard so we always know the vendor we're working with has a template so we can give them their native format. Working with multiple vendors is much easier when you use the same tools and files.
  • Illustrator is a very robust toolset with tons of ways of accomplishing the same things - you can take the path that makes you most comfortable (most of the time).
  • Illustrator is an industry standard - many people make videos on YouTube to show how to accomplish things so you can learn from them without reinventing the wheel (so to speak).
  • Illustrator does a good job of pretending to make organic shapes using the variable tools to tweak your lines. It allows the seasoned user to create truly stunning images that encompass their imagination.
  • Complicated and dense - Illustrator has so many ways of doing the same thing, it's easy to get lost. Much like Photoshop, you can use it for years and never even notice tons of tools that might make your life easier if you could only tell how they worked.
  • Hotkeys are sometimes weird (compared to Photoshop).
  • Pen tool separates the newbs from the pros. If you can't use the pen tool and you want to work with Illustrator every day you will have difficulty. I'm only halfway decent after taking a Masters class and I could definitely improve.
Logos and other artwork that needs to scale up and down are the best place to use Illustrator. I find it fast and powerful so I don't spend time waiting on it to refresh. As a CorelDraw user for 30 years, I can say that Illustrator is the more powerful of the two even if Corel is easier to just pick up and learn.
Read Robert Brown's full review
Alfred Simmons profile photo
Adobe Illustrator is used mainly by our marketing department for many purposes. It is one of the best tools that we used for designing all our marketing materials that include flyers, brochures, postcards and any graphic designs for our school website or social media. Illustrator provides us with everything that we need for vector and graphics designs.
  • Flexible graphics tool.
  • High-quality graphics.
  • The best vector tool so far.
  • Very convenient price and comes with adobe creative cloud package.
  • Suitable for almost anything related to printed marketing materials.
  • Not suitable for beginners.
  • Requires training to know how to use it.
Adobe Illustrator is perfect for graphic designs. It allows me to create any design that I need (thanks to the vector tool). Our department uses it as the main tool for creating any visual ads, social media ads and any marketing printed materials that we use in public events. Illustrator might not be suitable for people who are new to the software because it is not easy to figure out all the features and tools options that illustrator provides.
Read Alfred Simmons's full review
Tobie Anderson profile photo
As a graphic designer, I use Adobe Illustrator CC when designing logos. When designing a logo you always want the artwork to be vector so Illustrator is the best program for that. It is worth every penny spent and all the updates to the program over the years have only made it better.
  • Making charts and graphs.
  • Designing logos.
  • Using live trace to quickly re-draw something.
  • No improvement needed.
We use Illustrator when designing graphics. It is not meant to be a design layout program even though some people do use it that was. Wonderful for designing logos, creating graphs and info graphics. I have been an Illustrator user for over 20 years and there are still things I am learning. They have great product updates and seem to listen to user feedback when adding in faster ways to accomplish tasks.
Read Tobie Anderson's full review
Holli Drewry profile photo
We have access to educational priced Adobe Creative Cloud licensing. We use Adobe Illustrator in a variety of ways from teaching to professional graphic design. Students use Adobe Illustrator in Architecture, Graphic Design, Industrial Design, and Communications courses. Example professional uses include signage, printed publications, logos, web graphics, presentations, and infographics.
  • You can create multi-layered illustrations or graphics.
  • You can use the layers and styles to create many versions of a document from the same file.
  • You can export your art in a variety of formats that suite high-resolution print and 4K screens as well as images tailored to small screens or the web.
  • Vector art files can scale endlessly with no loss of detail.
  • The drawing tool is not as intuitive as the much older and no longer available tool in Freehand.
  • Make it easier or more intuitive to add points to a shape.
  • Make it easier or more intuitive to edit a shape by moving a point or changing it from curve to straight.
Adobe Illustrator is especially well suited for use in creating graphics or logos, one-page flyers, signs, or folded brochures (no more than front and back printing). The pen tool and layers make it easy to complete complicated text wraps. I would not recommend Illustrator for multiple page documents - Adobe InDesign is the better tool for that type of design.
Read Holli Drewry's full review
Jason Wilkinson profile photo
Adobe Illustrator is currently used by our 2D and 3D design teams. Not only does it serve its main purpose as a vector design software but it also bridges the gap between 2D & 3D by offering a way of 2D designers to work with CAD files when quick changes need to be made.
  • Lightweight vector design software - our go-to to quickly put together scamps for a proposal, or mockup some initial icons or logos.
  • Rips PDFs apart - when you're working with limited resources Adobe Illustrator lets you take any PDF and claim assets for use elsewhere, regardless of the software used to create it.
  • Great for typographic exploration - if you want to quickly try out a type combo, illustrator handles fonts beautifully without the restrictions software such as Adobe Indesign or Photoshop can put on your workflow.
  • Mobile - Adobe lacks a full mobile version of Illustrator, which would be very handy when working on an iPad when you're out of the office. Affinity Designer does this well.
  • Half pixels - Illustrator can annoyingly play with half pixels, which when designing for web or email, can be extremely frustrating for developers.
  • Improved handling of complex files - Illustrator tends to get bogged down as soon as you insert complex drawings or large amounts of artboards.
Illustrator is best suited to icon development, logo design or 2D mockups. These are quick to implement and it's brilliant for creating campaign assets to use elsewhere. Illustrator falls down when it comes to create large format print - even at half size or quarter size, it simply can't handle it. However, it's perfect for initial layouts.
Read Jason Wilkinson's full review
Lisa Cooley profile photo
Currently, we don't use Adobe Illustrator so much, but in the past, it has been crucial to our design work. It's no reflection on Illustrator, it's more that the nature of our work has changed. We've used Illustrator primarily for print design, but I also find it to be far superior to word processors for simple but important things like resumes.
  • Illustrator provides incredible precision and flexibility for two-dimensional design.
  • I find that I call upon Illustrator for my first drafts of anything visual because it is so versatile. It's a great place to sketch out ideas which can then either be fleshed out within the program, or switched over to something different like InDesign, XD, or AfterEffects.
  • I love using it for resumes.
  • The most recent interface redesign is annoying. I can't find things where I expect to find them, especially critical tools like Align.
  • The way selections get made is harder than it needs to be.
  • Also, the way text boxes have to be created is kind of weird. It's like Illustrator took text boxes from Quark, but it was just fine without them.
Illustrator is well suited to absolutely any kind of print design, sketch, brainstorm or, resumes. It's ok if you want to create multi-page documents, or multi-frame sketches. That's a relatively newer functionality that I love. But it really shines as a playground for two dimensions.
Read Lisa Cooley's full review
Maryam Qureshi profile photo
We are using it to design events, diagrams, designing banners etc. We also were using to design invites for events on campus. Other uses, programs for events, menu cards for events. Other uses have been event items that we will be designing, mock ups of any types, event proposals of any type.
  • Great at being able to move items, as far as editing
  • I enjoy the different tools it offers
  • Enjoy being able to create diagrams
  • Sometimes not very intuitive
  • I wish there was more help as far as new features and tools
Not very intuitive, I wish there was a way to know what each feature did and how to make your design nicer. Situations where it is less suitable is editing pictures. I would say Adobe Illustrator works great when you are creating something from scratch, does not work well with other software. Overall a great product to create templates and diagrams.
Read Maryam Qureshi's full review
Jonathan Cantu profile photo
It's the primary software we use for vector and graphic design. It's being used across the marketing department in support of several retail portfolios including multi-family, office, retail, and events. When it comes to managing the number of projects we have as a team, Illustrator gives us the freedom to create marketing graphics in vector format, making them scalable without pixelation, i.e. if we create an 11x17 sized flyer, we can scale that to 1920x1080 vertical without any pixelation in the end product. This is useful in every area, including digital media, logos, etc.
  • Vector-based graphics.
  • Constant software updates that bring in quicker shortcuts and fixes.
  • Integrate cloud library that allows you to access files from other Adobe products like Photoshop and InDesign.
  • Sometimes bugs are found in new updates. It is cloud-based software, rather than a yearly update of buying new software, they have the ability to push out code and updates at any time.
  • No other weaknesses.
Illustrator is well suited for anything with creative or graphic design. Especially digital media. Where the pace and end product matter, it's important to use software that's integrated and has the capabilities of quicker turnarounds through shortcuts and integrated connections, like Adobe Cloud. Adobe Illustrator is a creative software that would have no use in photography or video. Think digital, "still" media. Illustrator is used mainly for graphics creation and is even usable with web mock-ups.
Read Jonathan Cantu's full review
Ostap Yaroshevych profile photo
Adobe Illustrator is a must use design tool in our company regardless of beginning a design process with other software. Tool has simple functionality for basic drawing, it's an enormously advanced graphic design tool with many features that can make designing projects easier. I have been able to make things as small as stickers, banners, buttons, and more. The usability is great even you are a designer or marketer.
  • It is easy to use.
  • It has the most important wide range of tools to create, modify and customize draws, images, vector, details, navigator, and more.
  • Working with vectors is a great way to create very polished and clean designs.
  • There is nothing that I currently dislike about using the software.
Adobe Illustrator is great for creating and editing vector graphics. It also integrates well with the rest of Adobe World. Sharing with a cloud is amazing possibility. Also, I am able to save or import files of many different types.
For a less experienced designer it is very difficult to habituate or work in such a complicated interface—there are too many options/features and too many buttons. However, I am a marketer and use it for my purposes without any problems.
Read Ostap Yaroshevych's full review
John Reitz profile photo
We use Adobe Illustrator CC daily for our design work within our creative services division. We create new vector graphics and edit others for use in documents, websites, apps, and other digital marketing tasks. We could not do our job without it as the creation of vector images is necessary for us.
  • Edit and create vector images.
  • Connects with other adobe products.
  • Useful for changing existing images.
  • Backward compatibility of file formats.
  • Save directly to creative cloud.
  • Simplify panels.
We often get bad raster images of logos and are able to trace and recreate them as a vector which is needed to make use of them in new projects. We also often need to create new icons for applications and it is the only good way to do this. We also are able to export in a wide number of formats.
Read John Reitz's full review
Nicholas De Salvo profile photo
August 12, 2019

Still the best around

We use Illustrator for designing vector graphics and branding materials in conjunction with other programs in Adobe's creative suite. It is used mostly by our designers and helps us produce large format graphics for marketing materials. We use it for both internal and external projects and we consider it a core app we use to conduct business.
  • Managing vector formats is made pretty easy.
  • Pro tools for creating digital illustrations.
  • Robust features for complete control over your projects.
  • You can jump in as a beginner, but it takes a long time to master some of the more advanced tools.
  • It's a resource hog. If you're running multiple programs, make sure you have enough resources.
  • Artboards can be confusing at first.
Illustrator is great for handling vector artwork. We use it for digital illustration, branding, iconography and anything else that would be helpful to create as a vector. I think it excels in handling artwork for print. I know many people also use it for designing interfaces, but I personally think it is less well-suited for that application.
Read Nicholas De Salvo's full review
Chris Hecox profile photo
I use Illustrator almost every day. I am primarily an animator, but many of the project files I am sent are Illustrator files or can be easily manipulated within Illustrator. It allows me to work with files and prepare them for animation, as well as creating new art files when needed.
  • Illustrator has tons of options for creation. I feel confident in saying that if you can dream up any sort of 2d design, it can be recreated within Illustrator.
  • Illustrator can handle .pdf files and other types of image files. I find this helpful when I'm working on a number of different file types, so compatibility isn't usually an issue for me with Illustrator.
  • Illustrator has many tools that are easy to use once you've learned some basic understanding of how they can be used. The software is incredibly complex and offers many ways to accomplish whatever design tasks you are interested in.
  • Illustrator offers pretty good compatibility between itself and other Adobe programs, so I've found that to be a great thing when working within the Adobe Suite.
  • It feels as if Adobe products are all created individually, and as if all of the developers work in different parts of the world. Even though there are great advantages to using these applications in tandem. They don't share keyboard shortcuts, and there are other things that work one way in one program, but work differently in Illustrator.
  • Illustrator is complex and has an incredibly steep learning curve. I've been using it for the last 6 years or so, and I feel I've only scratched the surface. Adobe does an OK job of providing tutorials, but you have to look for them online, and even then, you might find better tutorials on YouTube.
Illustrator is great when you need to design 2d pieces, especially if you are animating or printing.
Read Chris Hecox's full review
Hilary Hobbs profile photo
Illustrator is used within our video department in order to create graphics and charts to implement in our educational videos. It is an absolute necessity and the fact that it is a part of Adobe cloud allows us to seamlessly work between Illustrator, After Effects and Premiere with less exporting and complications. It saves time and a fantastic way to keep our branding streamlined.
  • Easy to use.
  • You can personalize your layout to a workflow that works best for you.
  • Integrates well between all other Adobe software.
  • Illustrator has a tendency to lag if open too long.
  • It took me a while to understand how to export all my layers to use in After Effects.
Adobe Illustrator is great for anything involving graphics and animation! Design and layout are made easy in this software, especially if using other Adobe software. It's perfect to use for any type of creative work- from marketing to video. It doesn't make sense to have if you are in accounting or something completely unrelated to art and design.
Read Hilary Hobbs's full review
Lacey Tallmadge profile photo
It is being used within the marketing/creative department and it addresses our graphic design abilities.
  • Allows vectorization of artwork
  • Easy-to-follow guidelines and tutorials
  • Allows extensive design edits
  • It a massive program that can sometimes slow down other programs on my computer.
  • More tutorials, there could never be enough.
  • Tutorials within the program that guide you through your design live.
It's great for creating artwork. Great for vector files. It's not the best for tracing files. Can be very tedious work to do.
Read Lacey Tallmadge's full review
Hanzhi Jiang profile photo
As a forum, we produce some brochures and background papers for distribution to the participants. We use Illustrator CC to design the cover. It's used by our whole team. It's very helpful and it works well with Photoshop, Indesign, and Adobe CC.
  • Compatible with InDesign, Photoshop, and Adobe CC so objects can be placed into each other as is, without converting into a different format.
  • Easy to use for cover design, and easy to draw.
  • It is demanding for the RAM of the computer - We had to upgrade the RAM to 16G otherwise it's way too slow and the laptop may crash.
  • For beginners it's a little hard to use with so many buttons and interfaces.
It's well suited when you are publishing a brochure or booklet and you are designing the cover in Illustrator and using InDesign for the book itself.
Read Hanzhi Jiang's full review
Darren Megginson profile photo
Adobe Illustrator is one of the main graphics products that we use in our IT department to create all the necessary flyer and brochures of the other departments. It's a very flexible tool that allows us to design marketing materials and sometime educational materials to our freshmen that are new to the school.
  • High quality graphics
  • Very flexible tool. The best vector tool in the market so far
  • Great for preparing flyers and brochures
  • Affordable plans for education institutions
  • Not for beginners
  • Requires a lot of training to master the software
Adobe Illustrator is one of the best products in the market for graphics design. The vector tool gives the flexibility to create almost any design that we need. It is only less appropriate for people who are new the software but other than that it is a great tool!
Read Darren Megginson's full review
Leonardo Barbosa Corrêa profile photo
We are a communication and visual identity company. As such, Adobe tools are critical to our routine. We use Adobe Illustrator CC daily for illustration vectoring, ads and logos creation. It is only used by me, who is responsible for the design area of the company. Adobe Illustrator is the ideal software for working with vectors, edits nodes well and has really advanced features in this area. It is very good for working with text and images, which can be imported without making the file heavier.
  • Nodes editing
  • Image import
  • Text editing
  • Tools a little bit hard to find on the interface
  • Bugs on actualization
  • Some features of the nodes tool are a little bit hard to use
Adobe Illustrator is the ideal software for working with vectors. It edits nodes well and has really advanced features in this area. Also, it is very good for working with text and images.

Not the ideal software for diagramming a large volume of text. In this case, the ideal indication is Adobe InDesign that has more tools for diagramming.
Read Leonardo Barbosa Corrêa's full review
Adobe Illustrator CC is being used by the whole organization and is currently being used to create vector graphics for product photos, advertising, and website graphics and icons.
  • It is great for creating vector graphics.
  • Great for creating animations or cartoons.
  • Create logos and artwork for websites.
  • Ease of use or get started with it for a new user could use some extra improvement.
  • It can be intimidating for a new user to begin using the software if they have not had any experience with it prior.
It is well suited for drawing or creating vector graphics, designing logos and creating website graphics and also product packaging design. Adobe illustrator would not be good for photo editing but that’s what photoshop is for!
I use Adobe Illustrator CC almost daily for my companies' many graphic design needs. Illustrator is one of my favorite Adobe products because it is so user friendly but also powerful. I think this program is well-suited for an array of graphic design projects, anything from product design to signage and beyond.
  • Logo design
  • Shape making
  • Illustration
  • I hate when I hit a button and unknowingly change my workspace setup, or disable a setting, and then need to take hours of searching on forums to figure out why my program isn't doing the things I want it to. I'd love an undo button for times like this!
Adobe Illustrator CC is really a program that is well suited for most graphic design needs, save for photo-manipulation. This program is perfect for logo design, shape making, illustration, and product design. I also like to use it for layout needs, even though I know Adobe Indesign is best for that.
October 30, 2019

Amazing for vectors!

We use Adobe Illustrator for vector graphics including icons, illustrations, and logos. It addresses all of our vector needs. Our entire organization uses it in some form.
  • Vector creation including icons, logos, and illustrations.
  • Logo creation and export in different file formats.
  • Gradients aren't the best in Illustrator. They almost always look a little off.
  • I don't like using Illustrator for large body text. It's not made for that.
I use Illustrator for all of my vectors. I'll create logos for clients, icons for print work or websites, and some illustration work. I would not suggest using it for photo editing, effects, or page layout.
Organizationally, Adobe Illustrator CC is used by several different departments. The main departments that utilize this platform are our Corporate Marketing team and our Graphic Design and Website Design teams. Adobe Illustrator allows our graphic designers to create detailed logos, icons, and graphic content for both internal purposes as well as for our clients. Having unique graphic content really helps our brand, as well as the brands we serve, differentiate themselves from the competition and attract new business.
  • Adobe Illustrator CC is graphic design software that is primarily used to create detailed vector images.
  • Opposed to its counterparts Photoshop & InDesign, Adobe Illustrator is used for creating logos and more advanced graphics with high resolutions.
  • Granted Adobe's other design software products pick up any slack that Illustrator presents, I think they could integrate some native features that Photoshop and InDesign have to make this software more fully-functional.
  • The snap-to features could be enhanced to better position and align different graphic aspects.
Adobe Illustrator is best suited for creating vector objects that can easily be reshaped and resized while retaining all of its quality. This design software should be a graphic designer's go-to for designing logos, detailed graphics, fonts, and other photo-rich layouts. Designs created in Adobe Illustrator will create a better print, as well, since it is not resolution-dependent.
Adobe Illustrator CC is used by our Marketing department, specifically by graphic artists and production artists. We support the marketing efforts of the entire company, which includes national and international offices. Main reason we use Adobe Illustrator CC is because it is one of the most supported, standard design applications available, and it works cross-platform.
  • Logo and corporate ID design and development. No better app for this.
  • Detailed editing of PDFs, including pulling out embedded images not otherwise available.
  • File conversion, including the ability to simply copy from Adobe Illustrator CC and then paste into Adobe Photoshop CC.
  • Color management. Creation of color palettes for use across all Adobe CC applications.
  • An actual manual, like the old days.
  • Simplified functionality.
  • Easier way to spec and use colors.
Adobe Illustrator CC is best suited for the creation of imagery, especially when it ultimately needs to be available in "high-res," or vector, format, such as logos. Great for creating charts that can be edited later by calling them up from InDesign; make changes to charts and they automatically update in InDesign. Great for creation of simple to complicated images. Great for copying and pasting text-based designs from InDesign for tweaking in Illustrator--GREAT when the graphic artist is more comfortable and able to use the fine-tuning ability of text offered in InDesign. Adobe Illustrator CC is not great for raster images, which is what Adobe Photoshop CC is for. Adobe Illustrator CC can be used for page layouts, but I prefer InDesign for that.
Adobe Illustrator is being utilized in many capacities in our creative processes. Marketing emails, catalog and presentation graphics, and website assets. Illustrator is often the first step in many of these tasks because of the powerful and fast graphics generation process. It is also beneficial to be able to work in a scalable image format that can be seamlessly translated into different applications.
  • Industry-standard vector creation. If it can be done, Illustrator does it.
  • Decades of development and user expertise.
  • Seamlessly works with other Adobe Creative Suite applications.
  • As part of Adobe's Creative Suite, there is the cost to consider. There are open and free alternatives if you are willing to make trade-offs.
  • There is quite a learning curve for new users.
  • All of the Creative Suite have similar but slightly different interfaces. It can be a bit jarring at times looking for a tool when you are used to it in a different spot.
Adobe Illustrator is one of the most essential tools in professional graphic design and creative production. Most applications these days benefit from having scalable vector graphics at least at the concept and creation stage. Even if a raster solution is called for, it is often better to begin with vector if you can. This lets you scale to other applications or future technology improvements.

About Adobe Illustrator

Adobe Illustrator CC is a vector-based graphic design software.