https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/w2/J9/5W8OMZKB04R1.PNGA great tool for serious (or burgeoning) graphics artists.We use Illustrator for various projects that involve creating and manipulating graphics. I am new in my position, but so far this has included included logos and social media content. It has been useful in creating and editing these types of graphics and making them exportable for use on other platforms. Vector graphics are vital in good logo creation. I expect our use of Illustrator to evolve and expand in the future.,I used Illustrator to fix an intricate logo that had a typo. It was the kind fix that benefited from more robust tools. Altering and repurposing a logo for a custom t-shirt design. Creating different versions of the same graphic with different backgrounds (also, removing backgrounds entirely).,Illustrator has so many features and can feel like learning a new language if you're a beginner (thankfully, tutorial videos are everywhere). With such a high level of sophistication, it can sometimes be tempting to use a simpler program (such as Paint) when the full suite feels like overkill. The sheer scale of Illustrator's offerings can be daunting, so it requires some stick-to-it-iveness to not feel mired in it.,8,Illustrator (and the various bundled services from Adobe) is not cheap, so it will make the most sense for companies that need to use this program in day-to-day operations and for a wide array of projects. On the positive side, Adobe products are very powerful, and if you can swing the subscription fee, Illustrator seems to be the best tool for the job.,Canva,Basecamp, Adobe Illustrator CC, Yoast Wordpress SEO PluginsWorth the TimeI use Illustrator to design vector files and logos usually. We use these files for signage, indoor and outdoor, and to ensure files do not lose resolution. It makes it much easier to order marketing materials and signage when we can send print-ready files to expedite processing and shipments. It also saves us in designs costs from vendors as well.,Lots of image customizations and options Most formal designers will want vector files which you can create. More advanced options that photoshop or indesign.,Can be difficult to learn Could use more helpful tips and guides More interactive guides,6,Saved us money for art design from signage and promo item companies Takes a long time for our staff to learn Allowed us more control of our branding standards.,Adobe Photoshop,Canva, Google Ads (formerly AdWords), GoodRx, Apple iCloud, Caterease, Workplace by Facebook, LinkedIn Marketing Solutions, Buffer, Hootsuite Free, Google AnalyticsIllustrator is very user friendly!I use Adobe Illustrator for school and I used it at my previous job as a Graphic Designer. We would create flyers for events that were taking place around the school. All of the department used the program to create flyers for various projects and saved them in the Z drive. The program makes it easy to edit each other's work when employees save each part of their work in a separate layer.,Adobe Illustrator makes it very easy to undo changes that you have made by using the keyboard shortcut ctzl z and redo a change by using ctrl y. While Photoshop has the History feature, sometimes ctrl z is much more useful because you can undo each change that you made quickly and see the differences before deciding to go back another step. Adobe Illustrator makes it very easy to work with vectors. You can download many free vectors & then ungroup them & select the specific pieces that you want to build your own vector based design. Adobe Illustrator makes it very easy to create & edit clipping masks. In the layers you can replace & select the photo specifically to readjust the selection of the photo that you want in the clipping mask. I like that you can easily save and insert a color palette.,I find it frustrating that I have to switch to Photoshop in order to cut out a specific part of a photo. Why can't they just include that as a feature in Illustrator? It's difficult to tell sometimes which layer is selected or which layer you have just pasted into. You can figure it out by looking at the layers tab, but when you first go to move something or paste something, it's a bit confusing.,8,Adobe Photoshop and WordPress,Adobe Photoshop, WordPressIllustrator is the Eliminator! You won't want to use another vector software again.Adobe Illustrator is currently just being used within our design team. We use it to create artwork for products, packaging/labels, and marketing collateral. Like all of the Adobe programs, it is a top notch vector program. The program is a bit more in depth than others but that's a good thing. It allows us to create better quality quality work.,Illustrator has a wealth of different tools which allow you to work quickly and easily, once you get the hang of the interface. Illustrator also works seamlessly with Photoshop which is a big deal for me. I switch back and forth between programs very often. Opening a file from illustrator poses no issues when opened in photoshop Illustrator has the capacity to work on very large files or within many files at once. Other similar programs I've used tend to crash when overloaded with large files.,I don't know if it's a glitch or what but when I zoom in really close there tend to be little shadows of lines I've drawn. You can't actually interact with said lines, they're just there on the screen as a ghost of the line which I was zooming in to.,10,Again, I don't have access to concrete numbers but it is a top-notch program and I'd imagine it could only have a positive impact on our sales numbers. This program allows our team to create, quickly and seamlessly, amazing pieces for our products/packaging,Adobe Illustrator is the obvious choice when dealing with vectors!We currently use Illustrator to create and edit stock vectors to use in our online training courses as well as print media. It is being used by the training department as well as the marketing department, and that's it. The business problem it addresses is the need for graphic creation and editing to provide visually pleasing assets to be used in our online training as well as ads and print media. I mainly use it to edit existing vectors I download from stock image sites. But other members of my department do more graphic creation within Illustrator.,Illustrator shines when you are creating icons. I use it all the time for this to use in online training modules. Illustrator is the best tool to create or edit vector/scalable graphics. Even though Adobe has InDesign, Illustrator is also a great tool to develop print media.,Even though I use Photoshop, I feel like Illustrator is a little more complicated and less user friendly. I find myself frequenting Google and YouTube to answer questions I have about doing what I would consider simple tasks.,10,Illustrator has had a very positive impact on our return on investment. Since we use it on a daily basis and use other Adobe products it made sense to utilize. Our goal as the training department is to create engaging and interactive online training. Using eye-catching icons and other graphics is crucial to our purpose. Illustrator has helped immensely. Illustrator would be worth the money if you purchased it alone but it is more worth it when you subscribe to the Adobe CC suite and use other Adobe programs in conjunction with Illustrator.,,Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premiere Pro, Google Drive,Changing colors is easy Scaling graphics is easy
Adobe Illustrator CC

Adobe Illustrator Reviews<a href='https://www.trustradius.com/static/about-trustradius-scoring' target='_blank' rel='nofollow'>Customer Verified: Read more.</a>

Adobe Illustrator
Filter 340 vetted Adobe Illustrator reviews and ratings
Anthony Burke profile photo
November 29, 2018

Adobe Illustrator Review: "A great tool for serious (or burgeoning) graphics artists."

• I used Illustrator to fix an intricate logo that had a typo. It was the kind fix that benefited from more robust tools.
  • Altering and repurposing a logo for a custom t-shirt design.
  • Creating different versions of the same graphic with different backgrounds (also, removing backgrounds entirely).
  • Illustrator has so many features and can feel like learning a new language if you're a beginner (thankfully, tutorial videos are everywhere).
  • With such a high level of sophistication, it can sometimes be tempting to use a simpler program (such as Paint) when the full suite feels like overkill.
  • The sheer scale of Illustrator's offerings can be daunting, so it requires some stick-to-it-iveness to not feel mired in it.
Illustrator is helpful for many scenarios... If you have a lot of projects involving graphics; if you like to repurpose or otherwise tweak your logos for various settings; if you are fairly ambitious with your social media posts; if you have an interest in creating infographics. Basically, if you are a graphical go-getter, and you find yourself using these types of programs all the time, then you might as well have Illustrator which is probably the most robust such program.
If you aren't quite so ambitious with graphics projects, then Illustrator can be overkill. This is mainly because it can be overwhelming for newbies. You will be rewarded for you patience in learning the ropes if you have the time/inclination to do so.
Read Anthony Burke's full review
Emily Hammell profile photo
November 15, 2018

Adobe Illustrator Review: "Worth the Time"

• Lots of image customizations and options
  • Most formal designers will want vector files which you can create.
  • More advanced options that photoshop or indesign.
  • Can be difficult to learn
  • Could use more helpful tips and guides
  • More interactive guides
Well suited for creating and converting vector files. Also offers a lot of customizations for file editing, which can come in very hardy. For basic image editing or file designing, I would prefer Photoshop or InDesign. Illustrator has so many options that I try to avoid using it, simply because for my basic day-to-day tasks, there are simpler products to use.
Read Emily Hammell's full review
Chani Loeb profile photo
November 27, 2018

Adobe Illustrator Review: "Illustrator is very user friendly!"

• Adobe Illustrator makes it very easy to undo changes that you have made by using the keyboard shortcut ctzl z and redo a change by using ctrl y. While Photoshop has the History feature, sometimes ctrl z is much more useful because you can undo each change that you made quickly and see the differences before deciding to go back another step.
  • Adobe Illustrator makes it very easy to work with vectors. You can download many free vectors & then ungroup them & select the specific pieces that you want to build your own vector based design.
  • Adobe Illustrator makes it very easy to create & edit clipping masks. In the layers you can replace & select the photo specifically to readjust the selection of the photo that you want in the clipping mask.
  • I like that you can easily save and insert a color palette.
  • I find it frustrating that I have to switch to Photoshop in order to cut out a specific part of a photo. Why can't they just include that as a feature in Illustrator?
  • It's difficult to tell sometimes which layer is selected or which layer you have just pasted into. You can figure it out by looking at the layers tab, but when you first go to move something or paste something, it's a bit confusing.
If you are looking to cut out something or change the color of a photo, you need to use Photoshop. If you are looking to easily manipulate vectors and clippings masks, Illustrator is really good at that. Gradients could use a little improvement, but they are pretty effective in Illustrator. It is useful for making flyers, but if you want to create your own object, it's a bit tricky. There are some secret useful features like creating a pattern, which can be really useful. All in all, I like it better than Photoshop and I wish I didn't have to switch to Photoshop to do certain things.
Read Chani Loeb's full review
Kelly Reumann profile photo
August 08, 2018

Adobe Illustrator Review: "Illustrator is the Eliminator! You won't want to use another vector software again."

• Illustrator has a wealth of different tools which allow you to work quickly and easily, once you get the hang of the interface.
  • Illustrator also works seamlessly with Photoshop which is a big deal for me. I switch back and forth between programs very often. Opening a file from illustrator poses no issues when opened in photoshop
  • Illustrator has the capacity to work on very large files or within many files at once. Other similar programs I've used tend to crash when overloaded with large files.
  • I don't know if it's a glitch or what but when I zoom in really close there tend to be little shadows of lines I've drawn. You can't actually interact with said lines, they're just there on the screen as a ghost of the line which I was zooming in to.
Illustrator is a bit costly in comparison to other vector creation software out there so I'd recommend it for larger companies with more cash to spend. This program is also not for the beginner. I'd recommend it for anyone doing some serious graphic work. Something like Corel is simpler and easier for someone starting out with this kind of thing.
Read Kelly Reumann's full review
Danny Wood profile photo
June 26, 2018

Review: "Adobe Illustrator is the obvious choice when dealing with vectors!"

• Illustrator shines when you are creating icons. I use it all the time for this to use in online training modules.
  • Illustrator is the best tool to create or edit vector/scalable graphics.
  • Even though Adobe has InDesign, Illustrator is also a great tool to develop print media.
  • Even though I use Photoshop, I feel like Illustrator is a little more complicated and less user friendly.
  • I find myself frequenting Google and YouTube to answer questions I have about doing what I would consider simple tasks.
I'd definitely recommend Illustrator to anyone who works with vectors or digital media. It is the industry standard for vector graphic editing and creation. It's perfect for editing stock vectors. Change colors and sizes easily. If you have graphic design experience, it is great for creating your own graphics and icons. It is also great for developing print media, such as cards or handouts or anything along those lines. There a lot of free resources and tutorials online. I'd recommend watching some tutorials before trying to do anything in the software.
Read Danny Wood's full review
November 25, 2018

Adobe Illustrator Review: "Became my own graphic designer"

Our marketing team uses Illustrator to mock up designs such as logos and other marketing material. We use it to send material to printers, mock up new designs and create vector images used in most of our brochures, spec sheets and advertisements.
  • Vector images. Easy to create.
  • Marketing material. We use templates that are created in Illustrator and mock them up to fit our own company needs.
  • We do not have a specified "Graphic Designer" on staff so Illustrator makes it possible for us to satisfy those needs in house.
  • Maybe offer classes that can be taken to learn the software.
  • The pen tool is difficult for me as I am not a graphic designer.
Amazing for creating vector images or changing templates.
July 11, 2018

Adobe Illustrator Review: "Can't live without this program!"

I use Adobe Illustrator CC almost daily for my companies' many graphic design needs. Illustrator is one of my favorite Adobe products because it is so user friendly but also powerful. I think this program is well-suited for an array of graphic design projects, anything from product design to signage and beyond.
  • Logo design
  • Shape making
  • Illustration
  • I hate when I hit a button and unknowingly change my workspace setup, or disable a setting, and then need to take hours of searching on forums to figure out why my program isn't doing the things I want it to. I'd love an undo button for times like this!
Adobe Illustrator CC is really a program that is well suited for most graphic design needs, save for photo-manipulation. This program is perfect for logo design, shape making, illustration, and product design. I also like to use it for layout needs, even though I know Adobe Indesign is best for that.
Josh Starrett profile photo
May 03, 2018

Adobe Illustrator Review: "Must have tool for all designs"

As the media and communications director, I use Adobe Illustrator CC for all of our graphical needs. Everything from logos to branding to design of printed material to promotional banners and screens. I am the only one at our organization that uses the software. I love that I can make one graphic that can be used for so many applications. Since it is a vector based software, that means I can save a graphic to be small is resolution to be used on screens or web but also high resolution to be used for printed materials.
  • I love to Illustrator when it comes to branding our specific events. It allows me to set up multiple Artboards so I can create different versions of the same branded graphics but export and use them differently for different applications. This is crucial when it comes to working with a team and different ways of communicating to different groups. In one place I might need a graphic set up in landscape to work on a web page and another I might need a portrait that will also work with a white background instead of black. Illustrator allows you to easily organize and make those changes needed.
  • Being a Vector based design program. This gives me the ability to make whatever graphic I create either as small as the size of a dime or as large as a billboard. Doing this only takes minor adjustments. This has helped me when Branding needs to span over everything from web to print to mobile.
  • I love the plug in abilities that Illustrator has. There are options for everything from a plug in to help me keep track of my freelance work hours to being able to search color themes and sync my account directly up to Illustrator.
  • It is hard to find something to not like about the software so I will say this, there is a pretty big learning curve when first starting the software. It can be quit intimidating for someone who has never used a design software although adobe is good at offering tutorials on how to get going.
  • There are times when the software will not let me do things that I want to do and an error will pop up. For example, when it comes to the path finder tool and compound paths. I with the error message was more helpful or offered help on how to remedy the situation of why it won't let me do what I want to do. Instead of just trial and error.
Illustrator is an industry standard when it comes to graphics and vector designs. This software is well suited for everything from social media graphics, to logos, to T-shirts, to branding, and beyond. The possibilities are only limited by your imagination.
Read Josh Starrett's full review
Sam Jacob Dev profile photo
May 21, 2018

Adobe Illustrator Review: "Powerful Vector Editing platform suite"

Adobe CC is being used currently by the e-commerce team for creating vector graphics for e-commerce. This is a powerful vector editing platform that has been used by many others in the industry. Specific to our needs, Illustrator CC helps in bringing out the artwork in greater detail for it to implement. The recent installment of CC is faster and powerful and there is a greater jump in the performance of it. When you are into the whole Creative suite you can cross-reference different files from photoshop and edit in detail inside Illustrator and there is great sync between programs.
  • A powerful program and has a vast set of features that are more suitable for vector editing
  • Improved performance and it loads fast compared to the previous generation of CC
  • Ability to Crosslink between Adobe Creative Suite programs.
  • Great to have support to import other format files
  • Great to have more simplified controls and keyboard shortcuts
  • Has potential for usage of UI elements and interaction
If you are an illustrator then this is the go-to tool to convert your artistic portrait into meaningful digital illustrations. It can be used more for print media as well as for digital media. The quality of print from illustrator is greater than one that you would create in Photoshop.
Read Sam Jacob Dev's full review
Samuel Crawford profile photo
May 21, 2018

Adobe Illustrator Review: "No Contest: Illustrator Is The Go-To Vector Art Software"

We create very high-end vector logos mostly for solo lawyers and small law firms. We create these logos for both digital and print (RGB and CMYK). We have many users that use and are proficient with Adobe Illustrator. We have created a standard within our company as far as how the product is to be used on how design files are to be layered and structured. Adobe Illustrator give us the power to create infinitely scalable, lossless graphics with maximum flexibility. We love this software.
  • Relatively easy to learn
  • There is nothing that you cannot do
  • The pen tool is an INCREDIBLE feature that helps even novices create very engaging artwork
  • When using Illustrator in tandem with Photoshop, there are controls that differ. This is not a big deal but it would be nice if the interactions were more comparable.
  • It would be nice if the layer systems worked more like Photoshop, as the Grouping of elements gets a bit annoying (quadriple-clicking to isolate something gets tedious).
  • The default settings seem "wrong" to me... This may be subjective but why would you ever want Document Raster Effect Settings Resolution to be 72? Just make it 300 out of the gate...
Adobe Illustrator is fantastic for creating high-quality vector artwork for creating logos and visuals for digital and printed medium. It can be scaled indefinitely as it is created from equations as opposed to pixels (e.g. pixel-independent). It is not suited for raster work, such as photo-editing: use Photoshop for anything raster. Luckily, when working with Smart Objects, they work well together.
Read Samuel Crawford's full review
Dany Hernandez profile photo
April 17, 2018

Adobe Illustrator Review: "Always better in vector!"

Illustrator is used on a regular basis as part of our marketing and design strategy. We use it for print media, online content and company branding. It really is the foundation of most of our designs. Being the industry standard helps in facilitating our vendors with appropriate file formats. As we always say, "It's always better in vector."
  • First and foremost it's vector... What else can you say?
  • Adobe has worked really hard to implement a number of new features that continue to be helpful to the designer. Making simple tasks such as creating squares and triangles a breeze.
  • As with most Adobe products, the fact you can easily share files with other Adobe software is a tremendous help with your workflow.
  • Well, Illustrator is not really user-friendly if you're just getting into it. It takes a while for you to wrap your head around how illustrator actually works.
  • Working with gradients is always a bit of a pain in the rear.
Any artwork that needs to be scalable needs to be done with Illustrator. We create huge banners on a regular basis and the thought of creating these things without Illustrator would keep us awake at night. However, make sure you are well organized with your layers or things might get a bit confusing.
Read Dany Hernandez's full review
Emily Preston profile photo
January 24, 2018

Adobe Illustrator Review: "Illustrator is the top of the line graphics program"

Certain individuals in our marketing department use Adobe Illustrator. It is in my opinion the best solution for creating vector images and images for the web.
  • Vector images.
  • Text manipulation.
  • Clipping Paths.
  • It would be nice if it included features of other Creative Cloud programs like vertical text alignment.
  • It keeps a lot of data on the clipboard. A way to clear it without closing would be nice.
  • When you center a line of text it realigns the box oddly.
Anywhere you need vector graphics it is a requirement. If you're laying out brochures, books, etc, this probably isn't the best program.
Read Emily Preston's full review
May 18, 2018

Adobe Illustrator Review: "The best program for creating original vector assets"

We use Adobe Illustrator CC in our Marketing department. We use it to create infographics, icons, and original illustrations. Our business uses a lot of concepts that are hard to find stock graphics of online, so Illustrator gives us the flexibility and advanced tools required to create our own assets.
  • Ability to easily create vector graphics from scratch
  • Tons of customization
  • Ability to import and export from other Adobe products like Photoshop and InDesign
  • High learning curve
  • Occasional bugs during saving
  • Can be demanding on computer system resources
Great for creating original vector illustrations for Marketing or art. Not so good for creating illustrations that are meant to mimic 'real world' mediums like acrylic and pencil.
May 11, 2018

Adobe Illustrator Review: "Illustrator in the Sign Industry"

We use Adobe Illustrator to create custom logos and graphics that are used in interior and exterior signage. The program also allows us to edit the shape and dynamics of text to create wording/type for large applications (ie exterior channel letters and formed/routed letters). When scaled up this creation maintain their clarity & are preferred over rasterized graphics for our customers.
  • GRADIENTS
  • TEXT EFFECTS
  • ILLUSTRATION
  • FONT MANIPULATION
  • LARGER ART BOARDS
  • BETTER SCALING CAPABILITIES
We primarily use Adobe Illustrator to set and manipulate text. Fonts are a huge part of our workflow and being able to create large vector graphics is extremely important. We tend to move the lettering over to Photoshop when advanced effects are needed or if the project is highly photo/graphic based.
May 21, 2018

Adobe Illustrator Review: "Fundamental tool to learn about vector base graphic"

As a UI/UX designer and visual designer, I basically use Adobe Illustrator CC every day. It is definitely one of my most used software to create digital and print graphics. The best thing about illustrator is the ability of integration with other design applications. For most of the designers, Illustrator is one of the fundamental tools to learn about vector based graphics.
  • Create everything in vector
  • Ability to integrate with other design tools
  • Easy to export files in multiple formats
  • A high learning curve for beginners
  • Lack of ability to collaborate with another designer on the same file
  • Gradient function needs to be improved
Basically, I think every designer with some design skills needs to learn Illustrator since there is no other application that can do what Illustrator does. You will absolutely need it when you do all aspects of visual designs.
May 21, 2018

User Review: "Adobe Illustrator is Amaazzingggg"

Adobe Illustrator CC is used by my organization to design, illustrate, and edit graphics, logos, and other company assets. It's currently used by the Marketing Department which is comprised of only 4 people, one with working knowledge of the program. Adobe Illustrator CC allows internal access to a lot of documents that were created by external designers or contributors. It allows the company more range to edit and manipulate the templates and other company assets used throughout the company.
  • I think that this program is the most advanced of all the creative suite and allows the exportation of templates!
  • The Adobe Illustrator CC team has done a great job incorporating other program features so that all the programs offer similarities which allows for a smooth transition when working with multiple programs at once.
  • This program allows the user to create new objects using the pathfinder window. This feature really allows designers to go above and beyond when creating illustrations and illusions.
  • I strongly believe all Adobe Creative programs should automatically check spelling and grammar but also have an option to turn it off.
  • We're a part of a digitally literate world, the program should have a responsive design.
  • Allow a visual customization option for the program interface.
This program should be used to create illustrations and should not be used to manipulate photos or create print documents.
February 19, 2018

Adobe Illustrator Review: "Best for all kinds of Designers!"

It is being used by many employees. Infact, it is very essential for my workplace because most of our work requires illustration, editing, making posters, making digital art etc, so this is our go to software! All other employees have the same job, so it is pretty much used by all of them!
  • Illustration! Best for illustration. Use the pen tool and make your life easier!
  • Making posters!
  • Making logos without them being pixelated.
  • Artboards, I feel are useless. I would rather open a new tab.
  • It needs an update (aesthetically)
  • Sometimes, it gets a bit confusing to use. I also feel it takes up a lot of memory, which slows down the working process.
I personally enjoy Photoshop more, however my colleagues think Illustrator is easier. The pen tool is wonders though, because it makes life easier and helps to create a perfect piece of illustration which helps me do digital art and create artwork easily.
February 08, 2018

Adobe Illustrator Review: "The Best Vector Graphics"

I have been using Adobe Illustrator for many years, I use it mainly to make advertising graphics, most of the works I've done have been aimed at printing via plotters. Other works have the purpose of being published through websites with images to be published through different CSS managed directly by the customer.
  • it is the best vector graphics program
  • dockable windows
  • multiple worksheets and multiple manageable layers
  • compatibility issues between files of previous versions
  • the cost of the complete suite if you want other Adobe programs is quite high if you are a single user.
Adobe Illustrator CC is well suited if
  1. you are a graphic designer and you want to get closer to the world of vector graphics
  2. you want to make graphics not dedicated to photo editing but purely graphics aimed at the business
  3. you want to design company logos
  4. you are doing the layout of newspapers or texts or anything else, it is definitely one of best software (if not the best ever).
May 30, 2018

Adobe Illustrator: "Illustrator Review"

[It's being used] For vector digital designs.
  • Seamless integration with other Adobe software
  • Support of several file formats
  • Pixel perfect designs
  • Works on both Mac and PC
  • It's not as simple as other programs to import or export files
Illustrator is great for creating precise vector graphics that stay sharp when scaled to various sizes.
January 17, 2018

Adobe Illustrator Review: "Best software for creating vector art"

I use Adobe Illustrator to create high-end vector artwork (mainly for logos). This is the standard program we use for working with vector art across our organization. Adobe Illustrator solves the problem of being able to provide our clients with a polished, finished product that they can then use in a variety of formats.
  • Integration with other Adobe products is seamless.
  • The image trace feature has been enhanced over the years, and in this version it is able to create vector art easily ands with much more accuracy.
  • Working with artboards makes creating multiple versions a breeze.
  • The free distort/transform feature is still difficult to use.
  • The color libraries function is difficult to navigate.
  • Some of the tools that ares supposed to be "just like Photoshop" are not just like Photoshop.
For creating vector, scalable artwork, Illustrator is hands down the best option. Files created in Illustrator will yield a professional result. If you plan on using it to do print layouts, however, Illustrator is clunky and difficult to manage, in comparison to other Adobe products. It is not well suited for multi page documents such as books or manuals.
May 02, 2018

Review: "Adobe Illustrator perfect for logos and general wireframe design"

It is being used by myself. It makes logos, wireframes and web design easier and quicker to accomplish. The process for making designs on Illustrator is streamlined. Beginners can pick up the program in a matter of a few days. I like that creating designs doesn't take very long at all.
  • Automatic tracing of line art you scanned in expedites the workflow
  • Layers keep everything organized
  • It's easy to understand how the program works and quick to pick up
  • No critiques
Perfect for:
-Logo design
-wireframes
-mobile game menu design
-website design
-posters

You can scale your designs as large or as small as you want, and it doesn't lose quality because it is vector-based.

Not great for
-photo manipulation
-actual "painterly" designs

For these, I recommend Photoshop.
Christopher Power profile photo
November 30, 2017

Review: "Adobe Illustrator CC - The Best of the Best"

Adobe Illustrator is one of the most important tools our students use and that our print team uses. It is being used across the entire school and is installed on over 200 computers throughout the school. The main purpose of having access to the program is that it makes teaching students graphic design software much easier. We established a program specifically to teach students graphic design and business development. Using Adobe Illustrator they can create their entire marketing scheme and company branding. The problem it addresses is the relevance of industry knowledge we give to students. This software prepares them for industry careers.
  • Adobe Illustrator CC allows for colors to be accessed across the Adobe Suite if you are logged into your account. This makes it much easier for all designers and students to access their files and their color schemes easily. This creates a great workflow and saves time.
  • Adobe Illustrator CC has an amazing user interface. The interface is easily reset and customizable. Being able to navigate the program faster with your own custom layout for the toolbars really makes designing more fun and efficient.
  • Something that is done very well is the live trace tool. The live trace tool is a great asset to turn images or screenshots into vector designs. When you need to trace something, this is the fastest way to do it. The options it gives you to do so really allows you to create the best vector design without much work.
  • Adobe Illustrator doesn't come with enough default fonts. Having more fonts would really improve the experience instead of needing to download free fonts on my own and install them for more unique designs.
  • Adobe Illustrator has a perspective tool which is accessible in the toolbar and when it is clicked and turned on it is extremely annoying. To close this once it pops up is very difficult to click the very small "x" in the corner. This does not happen often but if you're a new user and this happens you can spend hours trying to find out how to remove it.
  • One function that I would like to see is avoiding isolation mode. When you double click into groups of objects or items, it will turn your screen into isolation mode and if you don't realize it, you could be designing and adding things to a group that you wanted to be separate.
Adobe Illustrator CC is well suited for all design classes and introduction to business classes. The hardest thing about running a design class or a business class is that students want to create something creative, however, they often do not know how. This software is well suited for creative type classes that really want to engage students. When students access this software it makes them feel more empowered, their ideas and thoughts come to life. Their businesses become much more real and it, in turn, changes education. Education is all about creating a HOOK. That hook is often new and relevant software.
Read Christopher Power's full review
Jon Ackerman profile photo
October 31, 2017

Review: "No real choice, Adobe Illustrator CC is the only real option, and it's an amazing one!"

Adobe Illustrator CC is at the core of all of our designs. We often go between different Adobe products but we continually return to Adobe Illustrator as our go-to vector and design program. It's easy to use, well laid out and allows us to maximize our creativity. Adobe has really improved on previous versions of Illustrator and has made the integration seamless to all of the other Adobe creative offerings. All of the creatives on our team use Illustrator for their work. Video, design, print layouts and even our online content, all utilize Illustrator at some level. For the longest time, Illustrator's main focus was just on vector art. Adobe has done some amazing things to improve the uses of Illustrator into other design related area. We have been using Illustrator for print layouts, designs that include photos, website improvement mockups and social media focused content.

It really has become our go-to program that enables maximum creativity, all inside one design program. I find myself using Photoshop less and less and Illustrator and Lightroom more and more!
  • Quick and reliable interface with consistency throughout all Adobe Creative Cloud products.
  • Ability to create shortcuts in both keyboard shortcuts and menu shortcuts.
  • Lightning fast and responsive interface. You can also adjust display preferences for slower machines.
  • The tie in to other Adobe offerings (cloud storage, kuler color swatches, fonts and stock footage) is amazing. It speeds up all of our work!
  • Price and yearly contract. You no longer own the software and get to decide when to purchase the next version. The only option is to pay per year.
  • There isn't a great way to administrate fonts and ensure that Adobe will play nicely with them. This isn't particular to Illustrator, but to all Adobe CC programs.
  • If going between Illustrator and After Effects, there is a very specific way to order your layers in order to have them editable in AE. This is super annoying because they force you to do this in an order that most designers are not used to working.
If you are looking to work quickly and efficiently, or are in need of a tool that allows maximum creativity, then Adobe Illustrator CC is for you. Adobe is now in the phase of development on this product that allows them to continue to get better and better. We are using Illustrator for everything from print layouts in our annual review to our series branding and even a lot of our social media content. It allows a ton of flexibility between other Adobe offerings, which is a huge bonus!
Read Jon Ackerman's full review
Chris Lenhart profile photo
October 24, 2017

Review: "Adobe Illustrator - The grandaddy of vector programs"

Thinking about how many years I've been using Adobe Illustrator makes me start to feel old. This software has been one of the most consistent tools in my toolbox for nearly a decade and a half, from my earlier days of laying out posters for local coffee shops to my current occupation as a UX designer creating Hi-Fidelity comps for prototypes.

Its massive range of uses is both a strength and a drawback. It does a lot of things very well, which means that if you are well versed as a user, it is an easy go to to start any project. However, the learning curve for new users can be pretty huge, and it never stops - there is so much you can do with this software that you'll forget things before you can learn it all. The myriad stacked tools and menus can be intimidating and confusing for new users and even power users will often admit they have no idea what a certain tool or menu option does, or that they rarely use certain things.

• Laying out screens - grab a UI kit of your choice and go to town. Everything is built for you, you just need to decide where it goes. Easy to copy artboards and make changes for prototype screens
  • Vector Illustration - Particularly for video game UI, Illustrator is great at creating illustrative interface objects and manipulating type for titles, all of which can scale without losing quality.
  • Logo Execution - quickly create and iterate on concepts at any size.
  • Single page print layouts - Layout a letterhead, business card, and envelope in the same document.
  • Customizable work space - save common setups for common tasks and switch easily between them.
  • Too many options - this thing is cluttered. Every available space is filled with menus that collapse into one another or cover your work area.
  • Steep learning curve - this software can be really difficult for new uses.
  • Expensive - there are several alternatives on the market that don't require the same costly CC subscription.
Illustrator is great for an agency that might need to do both print and web design work across many devices, or a mobile game company where illustrative UIs and prototyping are desirable. Most artists and designers learn Illustrator at some early point in their career as the industry standard, so it's fairly easy to find designers who will know it.

If you are a product manager looking for an easy way to lay out screens for a mobile app prototype, look elsewhere, like sketch or balsamiq. It will take you too long to get up and running if you aren't already an expert user.
Read Chris Lenhart's full review
Kristin Smith profile photo
October 24, 2017

Adobe Illustrator Review: "Scalable Graphics and Cross-Platform Use"

We use Adobe Illustrator to design everything from signage to web ads, email marketing, and various other graphics. It is mostly used by the 3 graphic designers employed by the company, but some others also use it on occasion. It helps us create scalable graphics that are suitable for print or web, which is really helpful for us as we often use the same design scheme on all platforms. It makes it so we don't have to waste time and energy redesigning things for different uses.
  • Scalable (vector) graphics enable us to use the same design for print and web without worrying about quality loss.
  • Great for logo design, as logos are used in every format and need to be flexible with how they can be displayed.
  • Adobe Illustrator is my go-to program for creating signage, especially large format signage.
  • It is pretty easy to use, especially with keyboard shortcuts.
  • I really enjoy using Abobe Illustrator with the Adobe Creative Cloud functionality. It allows my team to easily send documents to each other so multiple people can edit and look at the document for the best final product.
  • Some keyboard shortcuts are different keys in different Adobe programs for the same function. It would be great if it prompted the same thing in Illustrator as in InDesign and Photoshop.
  • The align and distribute functions sometimes work a little wonky and not as they're supposed to, but you can usually correct it by eye.
  • I wish that Creative Cloud allowed multiple people to work on the same document at the same time, a la Google Docs. It would be helpful for team projects or cases where there are multiple art boards.
  • My team frequently works in InDesign as well. They are similar programs, but things (especially text) frequently don't copy correctly from one program to another. It would be great if there was cross-program functionality and things maintained their bounding boxes and styles.
  • I would love the use of Paragraph and/or Character Styles in Illustrator.
Adobe Illustrator CC is well suited to graphics that need to be used in both web and print, as well as graphics that are frequently displayed at varying sizes. This includes company logos and signage. It is less appropriate for booklet/pamphlet design. For this I would recommend using InDesign instead. Illustrator could make some of the graphics to use in a book but I wouldn't recommend designing the book itself in this program.
Read Kristin Smith's full review

About Adobe Illustrator

Adobe Illustrator CC is a vector-based graphic design software.