Brightspace Review: "Desire2Learn Top of the LMS Pack"https://www.trustradius.com/learning-management-lmsBrightspaceUnspecified7.7551012014-02-17T23:53:29.696Z
Desire2Learn (D2L) is the primary learning management system used by University of Wisconsin System campuses since 2003. The product allows faculty and instructional staff to use an online platform to centrally manage and disseminate their course materials, administer student assessments, facilitate online discussions, and communicate with students.
- The user interface is very intuitive from the student's perspective.
- The student progress tool is particularly helpful to the instructors, and provides just-in-time information on student performance.
- The quiz tool allows flexibility in question creation and allows the use of graphics and hyperlinks to enrich quiz questions.
- The annual Fusion user's conference is very well produced, with excellent speakers and topics, and is well attended.
- Product testing efforts have seemed to have diminished over time. I believe this may be due to the company's rapid growth.
- I would like to see D2L management to have a closer relationship with the user community, particularly when it comes to product development. It is unclear how product development is conducted or if user feedback is considered.
- In general, customer responsiveness has declined, but I suspect this is due to company growing pains - it is important that D2L keeps the users front and center.
- A uniform platform across all system campuses allows for more efficient training and support activities and use of training and support resources.
- Historically, a very stable product with limited downtime that has kept interruption of services to a minimum.
- Upgrade process has rarely gone smoothly.
We believe D2L to be the best LMS, based on our long-term use, functionality, and overall product stability.
Ask to speak with current users that match your institution's profile. Consider carefully whether to self host or have D2L host. D2L is a solid product, with a vast array of functionality - ensure that you have identified your key objectives that you expect your LMS to support and take care not to be side-tracked by bells and whistles that are not needed.