Review: "Drupal is the highly flexible solution that can meet virtually any need."https://www.trustradius.com/cmsDrupalUnspecified82731012014-02-18T23:13:20.753Z
Overall Satisfaction with Drupal
At the Christian Counseling and Educational Foundation, we use Drupal to promote our organization with regular content, sell electronic and physical resources, provide event registration, facilitate course registration for our online online school, and to integrate with Salesforce for customer relationship management. Every department within our organization relies on one or more features of Drupal and that list of features is always growing. Because of the flexibility it offers, we are always able to come up with a clean and efficient solution to our departmental needs.
- Drupal provides flexible content management and a useful backend administrative interface that non technical administrators can easily use.
- Drupal provides a powerful API that is ready to be customized for anything from Salesforce integration to payment gateway integration.
- Drupal is always being developed and tested by thousands of competent and competitive developers so there is almost always a solution ready to use.
- Drupal maintains a high level of security which is important to our organization.
- Drupal provides a means for our organization to meet individual department needs without always having to commit to expensive third party solutions.
- Drupal can be difficult to configure right out of the box and often takes a contracted developer to complete the initial build and configuration.
- Like any open source software, Drupal is always advancing and changing. Regular maintenance is a must to keep your web application secure and efficient.
- Drupal may be overkill for some small projects. While this is a true evaluation, it is easy enough to configure for small uses and then has the flexibility to expand into something more.
- Since Drupal is free, we were able to use it during our leaner years for next to nothing and gradually grow it into the powerful multi pronged solution that it is today.
- Drupal does take regular maintenance so this is an expense to budget for in annual planning.
- Drupal has been highly customizable so when a certain department needs a specific tweak, we have been able to make that change at a very granular level.
Compared to its close rivals, Drupal should be considered a more flexible and slightly advanced solution. WordPress, while being great for out of the box solutions, is limited compared to Drupal and is not as highly customizable. Squarespace provides even more out of the box solutions and is even more limited in its flexibility. Drupal has a steeper learning curve but is more flexible in the long run.
If your organization or company needs an open ended solution where new features or applications will likely be needed in the future then Drupal is right for you. If you are planning to only create blog content and will never be expanding your functionality then it may be best to look at more simple solutions.
Drupal Feature Ratings
Code quality / cleanliness
Library of website themes
Mobile optimization / responsive design
Availability / breadth of extensions
Community / comment management
Internationalization / multi-language
Role-based user permissions
Likelihood to Renew
Drupal will continue to evolve and adapt as technology does so. I'm confident that it will continue to meet real needs for real businesses. Although it's possible that solutions will be provided for specific needs, Drupal will always have the advantage of being able to evolve, adapt, and customize to meet new needs.