Overall Satisfaction with Dundas BI
I assisted with selection of a Business Intelligence tool for a healthcare client. We selected Dundas BI as the first foray into in-house analytics beyond ad hoc SQL queries. It is gradually being rolled out to additional users as both power users and standard users, though currently it is mostly used by developers and the DBA.
- Easy to create aestheically pleasing visualizations
- Easy naviagation for people used to MS look and feel
- ETL layer allows for advanced development
- Response is always speedy from customer service, though frequently is not as thorough as expected
- Slower performance of wide tables for reports
- Migration between environments is very manual
Per dollar spent, it offers the widest range of features of the tools that we evaluated. It offers lots of options for how to configure your environment, though they are not always intuitive to figure out. Having an ETL layer was a must have for us, as well as the ability to host to secure HIPAA compliance. It is not a replacement for ad hoc reporting, but does a great job of creating parameterized reports and dashboards that look great.
Considering it's price point in the market, Dundas BI offers a lot of functionality. They are constantly adding features and bug fixes which is great, but also means there are always updates to take if you want everything to work as expected. The standard user interface is pretty easy to understand, but it takes a while for developers and power users to become independent of documentation.