Review: "Google Tag Manager-More Control for Marketers"https://www.trustradius.com/tag-managementGoogle Tag ManagerUnspecified91321012013-10-15T14:33:17.812Z
Overall Satisfaction with Google Tag Manager
- Gives marketers more control of their ability to measure visitor behavior.
- Gives marketers more control over adding features to a site.
- Hides details making implementation of site features easier, especially Google Analtyics.
- Great versioning infrastructure allowing you to roll out and roll-back changes.
- Strong preview and testing tools keeps you from bringing the site down.
- Well integrated with Google Analytics so you can use advanced features.
- Hiding of technical details (such as Google Analytics) may make debugging difficult.
- Because it's powerful, it requires pretty extensive QA.
- Doesn't support A/B testing software like Convert.com, Visual Website Optimizer and Optimizely.
- Can quickly require some strong technical expertise for more advanced measurement setups.
- Accelerates implementation of site features and analytics.
- Gets IT out of the way.
- Allows for the testing of new features before launching.
- Maintains a history of changes to the site.
- Is an easier way for marketers to get up the learning curve on site analytics and other features.
Google Tag Manager has some strong capabilities in simplifying the addition of features and analytics to a site. However, it can obscure code making it difficult to debug problems. It also allows changes to the site that can break certain it for browsers. With great power comes great responsibility.