Well balanced
June 29, 2016

Well balanced

Damian Redpath | TrustRadius Reviewer

Overall Satisfaction with HipChat

We used it across all departments to manage communication between the team. As we were a distributed team it was crucial that we had a software that allowed us all to come together and communicate effectively. When selecting a team communication platform we look for a platform that has great integrations and allows us to express our company culture effortlessly.
  • Great Atlassian integration
  • Great memes - being techies we loved the humour
  • Well priced
  • UI - as with all Atlassian products this is by far it's biggest downfall and has a surprisingly large effect. I have spoken to a lot of people who do not even consider HipChat due to the UI
We now use Slack and are much happier with it. The UI and fun friendly bot fits in much better with our company culture and fills our needs better. Slack seems to be growing faster with new features and integrations getting released regularly. It also has pretty good integrations with the Atlassian suite. I would say HipChat obviously has better Atlassian integration but Slack has enough of the features for us.
We group chats by topic. This generally means per project, whether for a client or internally. We do of course also have non work related channels as these are the kinds of channels that foster company culture. Topics like gaming or food are popular in our company. Allowing your staff to talk off topic during work is (I think) the best way for them to relax into their work and truly love what they do.
I have left this as a question mark as I have not used this feature so do not feel comfortable leaving feedback on it. This would be unfair to HipChat and would leave my review unbalanced and unhelpful to any future readers of this. I wish to keep my review honest.
iOS - The app functions as you would expect. It delivers notifications in a timely fashion and you are able to keep up to date with the goings on in your rooms. I often have ended up using the mobile app over the desktop one due to not being at my desk. When doing this I have not had to sacrifice any features and can still message away as I please
Very well suited if using other Atlassian products. It plays very nicely with the other applications and shows the true power of the Atlassian suite. The products truly are made to be used together and if you are not doing that then you are not getting your monies worth by far.

HipChat (discontinued) Feature Ratings