Changing the Scheduler's life!
February 08, 2018
Changing the Scheduler's life!
Score 9 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with HotSchedules
HotSchedules is used by our operations team department, including all of our part-time staff. Some of our business leaders have an account to simply utilize the messaging tools that HotSchedules offers, though it is not used for scheduling purposes or finance purposes seeing as they have a more gridline schedule. HotSchedules has helped our team remain connected through the messaging tool, updates, and changes to their schedules, and keeping track of their attendance. It has also streamlined the time keeping process as we utilize the time and attendance module of HotSchedules and utilize their time clock feature for our team to clock in and out. Given it's a webpage it gives the freedom to move the clock to where our team meetings to start the work day are.
- Communication is so simple on HotSchedules. Whether it is communicating a new schedule release, or a quick note about tonight's shift we as managers are able to easily communicate and know that it will reach our team through text notifications, or email notifications.
- The Meal Break planning tool is very useful in being able to help our floor leaders clearly understand and plan for what breaks are needed throughout the shift. This allows them to come up with a strategic game plan quickly and spend more time with our guests.
- Shift Swaps and Releases are so seamless. This is our favorite tool as it makes helping our team cover shifts extremely easy and painless. On the flip side it also makes staff who want more hours be able to find what is available in real time.
- Breaks and Meals: On the time clock we are limited with meals and breaks. If someone has a 4-7.99 hour shift we give them a 20 minute paid rest break. If the employee reaches an 8-hour shift they are given 2 15 minute rest breaks and a 30-minute meal. Meal and Break set up cannot understand changing the breaks. We had it set up to add a 10-minute break to equal 30 minutes when you reach the 8th hour, however, the time clock when they click "Start Break" still gives them 20 minutes on both breaks leaving confusion.
- The Availability module has a few issues we have noticed. When a new employee is set to start a new availability it does not change in the scheduler. The Scheduler still holds the old staff members availability making it challenging for the scheduler to schedule appropriately.
- We believe a late or missed schedule report should be available to print easier reports for time and attendance tracking. Currently having to go through each staff's punch is not as smooth as it could be. This seems to be a simple addition to a great arsenal of reports.
No escalation required
Immediate help available
Support cares about my success
Problems left unsolved
Need to explain problems multiple times
Slow Initial Response
The time and attendance module is incredibly vital to the success of our business. We were a new business that just started out and luckily chose HotSchedules from the start and we have had minimal issues with these features. The addition of flags alerting us of staff staying punched in past their time and leaving early has been very helpful. As well as our new addition of the meals and break planning. We were somewhat disappointed our startup rep did not tell us about the meals and break planning that was included in our package. We had asked a few reps along the way and most did not have answers we were seeking. We had to reach out to our sales rep and ask about meals and breaks who then told us we were already subscribed to that package.
We used a scheduling system that was integrated into our budget planning programs, but we had no implementation to our staff so it was the managers job to deliver the schedule and keep track of availabilities/ time off requests. It was a lot more work and wasted about 5-6 hours a week.
As stated before, it has reduced creating schedules from 5-6 hours to close to 1 hour a week now. We can easily make schedule adjustments all week long with a few simple clicks, it eliminates the need to call staff since a notification is sent directly to them as soon as a modification is made. Any business I move to in the future I would advocate for utilizing this simple program.
HotSchedules can be implemented in any organization that has to staff a store with varying hours. I have recommended this to my colleague who has 8 employees, yet he has seen great results with the shift swaps and availability tracking/time off requests. I do wish we could see some more attention to general staffing and training VS. the heavy emphasis on restaurant businesses. It feels HotSchedules has grown into many more areas and should work away from marketing so directly to restaurant businesses. Some training programs for other business would be a welcome sight.