HotSchedules Reviews

Penelope Brown | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 01, 2020

Easy to select a shift at any time.

With HotSchedules it has been possible to maintain clear communication throughout the company since you can manage the available shifts without requesting it in a book and update the availability on paper. With this platform you can forget about the difficult paperwork since it allows you to do these things without having to manually update the availability of employees. HotSchedules has drastically reduced all the complications that arose in the company regarding the schedule that was received and the availability of each shift, allowing us to receive our schedules through the HotSchedules platform without having to go to a company board and check shift availability.
  • It is easy to maintain communication with the personnel and thus be able to carry out a correct shift programming.
  • It is very simple to be able to choose what time it is and to be able to change it whenever you want without the need to inform or fill out extensive paperwork.
  • I love the mobile application, it allows me to be aware of notifications of any schedule availability or when I have a message in my inbox.
  • Its platform is simple to use and you can manage shifts quickly or make a copy of existing schedules.
  • It is possible to be able to exchange shifts or release shifts without any problem, thus being able to have more freedom when deciding when to work.
  • It has a slightly high cost and you also have to pay additionally if you want to obtain certain necessary characteristics.
  • I still do not understand why the mobile application has a cost apart from the main HotSchedules, since if we are already paying for a product it should be complete. This is extremely annoying since not all employees can use the application as they refuse to overpay.
  • Sometimes the website tends to get slow no matter the speed of the internet connection, it is a bit annoying.
I recommend it because it drastically reduces the time it takes to be able to distribute a shift, it is better when employees can select and exchange them when they want without having to drag the staff to notify their work hours. Communication within this platform allows for a clearer and more organized environment since it allows all staff to be in communication and thus also be more flexible with schedules.
HotSchedules allows you to manage the weekly labor cost to be able to make a projection of the functionality of forecasting the volume of business and thus be able to cover the need for programming.
Read Penelope Brown's full review
April 06, 2020

HotSchedules - Restaurants

It was across the board. It was nice for the staff - they could pick up and give up their shifts on their phones so that they did not have to come into work. They also knew when there were shifts to be picked up for big parties. It stopped them from clocking in before their shift started.
  • Online/cell phone shift changes.
  • Automatic updates.
  • Linking schedule with POS system.
  • Printouts for daily schedules, older managers had difficulty reading who picked up for who, if the shifts were all picked up.
  • Could have more ease of use for the older generation.
It is well suited for the restaurant where schedules are always changing. It would not be useful with a business with mainly set schedules. It would also work well with people in different locations so that everyone could easily access it.
Syncing the schedule with the POS system, not allowing staff to clock in before they are scheduled.
January 27, 2020

HotSchedules

HotSchedules is used across both our stores for scheduling and employee management. Employees are able to update when they want to work and hours etc. Management can then approve or deny those requests and schedule as needed. HotSchedules puts the employees in charge of their schedule and shifts so that management can focus on other things.
  • Scheduling.
  • Time off.
  • Labor management.
  • Pick-up shifts AI management.
HotSchedules is great for managing hours, shifts, employee schedules, time off, etc. Leaders at our stores have had options of moving to other tools, but have continued to stay with HotSchedules at it works the best it seems. It is hard sometimes with shift pick-up as leadership has to approve every drop and pick-up. I wish drops were automatically approved, and then there was an algorithm when picking up shifts was approved based on duration of employment and age (so minors can't).
I am not aware of labor management tools from the cost side. This may be something that leadership has not activated. We do use the features that allow us to ensure that we are in compliance with laws regarding minors, etc. HotSchedules clearly highlights minors and will alert leaders when a minor is scheduled over hours, or after the day cutoff time for minors.
Kate Knight | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 13, 2019

Great resource if everyone has a smartphone

The organization I used to work for utilized HotSchedules for scheduling servers and hosts. It was how we traded shifts, received weekly schedules, and called off shifts. It made it so we didn't have to come in weekly (even on our off days) to see our schedule for the following week.
  • Easy to read and easy access to schedules at any time.
  • Ability to quickly change availability.
  • Notification overload - Too many notifications.
  • Support response time is slow when problems do arise.
We did not like using the HotSchedules application for the pure reason that it allowed people to too easily switch schedules without approval and the schedule was in a constant state of change, causing confusion for those who were trying to figure out who was supposed to staff the building. I think there should be a limit of schedule switches per day.
It was useful to have the schedule handy at all times to track hours. It also gave you access to past schedules when problems arose.
Read Kate Knight's full review
February 28, 2019

HotSchedules: Hospitality Focused

HotSchedules is the premier labor management and communication platform for the hospitality industry. There's no need to look further, competing platforms do not hold a candle to the restaurant-centric approach HotSchedules takes when designing the functionality and UI for their applications. They're one of the top paid apps in the App Store for a reason.
  • Mobile Application
  • Restaurant Centric Technology
  • Great UI
  • Intuitive Features
  • Customer Support
  • Lack of scheduled/automated reporting
  • POS integration version management
  • Limited ability to access own data
Well suited for multi-unit brands in the restaurant industry. Not well-suited for unit brands or non-hospitality related retail.
Activity-based forecasting.
Abe Ruiz | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 06, 2018

HotSchedules Solutions Work!

Being used across the whole organization. Helps us address scheduling, labor controls, and communication.
  • ABF reporting
  • Ease of use for all people for scheduling/swapping shifts
  • Tie-in to Schoox training platform
  • Would like to see quicker response times to issues that arise
  • Have had trouble with pre-formatted reports not coming through properly
Well suited for understanding and managing better your labor controls and schedules.
Super easy to navigate these benefits.
Read Abe Ruiz's full review
Shannon Scally | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 06, 2018

Perfect Scheduling Choice for Restaurants

HotSchedules is used by our restaurant operators for scheduling forecasting, communication and training.
  • Communication
  • Integration
  • Support
  • The are many add ons it is hard to know what you're missing out on.
  • Support response time is at times long.
  • Activity based scheduling should be part of standard features.
Amazing communication tool for managers and team members.
No comment here.
Read Shannon Scally's full review
Nathan Miller | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 09, 2018

Nathan Miller's Review of HotSchedules

It is being utilized in my organization for scheduling and forecasting. It addresses any holes in scheduling and cost analysis.
  • Makes everything paperless.
  • Very user-friendly for back office and staff.
  • Can really dive deep into data and sales and what you are spending.
  • The schedule view was much better before it changed.
Well suited for any staff especially restaurants or larger than 20 staff members. Makes all digital- Notes, messages and goes right to their email or phone which ever they have set up.
see what is scheduled vs actual and based on hourly sales
Read Nathan Miller's full review
August 09, 2018

Great commumication tool

Each of our full-service locations utilizes HotSchedules as a tool to minimize labor expense and a communication tool with our team.
  • Communication with team members
  • Enforce time and attendance with POS to control labor expense
  • Communication among managers
  • Tracking staff performance issues
  • Keeping up permits
  • Does not tie labor/schedule postings to budget; too easy for managers to override
  • Messages are not easily accessible
  • Above store reporting tools are outdated; should be able to schedule reports
For small to medium-sized companies HotSchedules works great when business is very static. If you are simply using HotSchedules for a schedule writing tool, it is phenomenal. However, it does miss the mark as a labor control software. Needs more controls to keep managers aware of spending versus historical sales data.
POS integration is the biggest benefit. When used correctly, forecasting is great within HotSchedules. A bit harder when business is more seasonal or tied to local events that are not regular. Needs improvement in enforcing "rules" versus flat dollars and hours.
Shannon Carpenter | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 31, 2018

HotSchedules: Hot and Ready for Action!

We previously used HotSchedules when implementing 4 shifts across our production and packaging groups. We went from 1 shift M-Th, to 2 shifts M-Th, then added 2 additional 30 hour F-Su shifts. We also used it for our warehousing and sanitation crews. We had a change in our business and started to fall away from its use. Now that we are growing again, we are reimplementing its use and will also use it for clocking in and out, as well as tracking employee training and certifications. Having the ability to print hours reports to do daily labor analysis by project as well as tracking training are both incredibly valuable and help us stay on top of costs by being able to do daily labor analysis.
  • HotSchedules tracks our labor hours and dollars. Being able to do quick labor analysis helps us make sure our pricing is in line with our estimates for clients.
  • HotSchedules tracks our employee trainings. Because we are a third party audited food manufacturing facility, we have both formal certifications (CA Food Handler Cards) and monthly trainings on subjects such as Food Safety, GMP's, Pest Control, Allergen Control, HACCP and Sanitation. Being able to have a record easily accessible for each employee to prove to our auditors and keep those employees up to date with training is invaluable as an organizational tool.
  • I find that the system of assigning jobs and rates is a little tedious, but understand the need for it.
  • I'm not familiar enough with the copy and setting the next week's schedule, but it's not necessarily hard to use.
  • The whole assigning welcome letter and with log in and password is difficult with the Spanish speakers even though you have a Spanish version.
  • Many of our employees do not have email or smart phones, so I find that HotSchedules is not as useful to them or us.
Absolutely appropriate for restaurant workers. Less so for manufacturing, but it does gather the labor data effectively when everyone logs in properly.
Read Shannon Carpenter's full review
Jake Smith | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 26, 2018

HotSchedules: Why?

HS is used across our entire company, by all who work here. I think that the program has good intentions behind it, but those ideas do not translate well into the actual product, in my opinion.
  • HS is useful for keeping track of hours
  • HS is probably the best platform for this type of service
  • Users are able to see their hours in an easy to read format
  • The most frustrating thing about this platform is how long it takes to clock in for the workday. I have to log in to the portal, which takes me to a second screen that I have to log in to, which takes me to a THIRD screen to select that I want to clock in / out. I then have to wait to make sure that it actually clocks me in before walking off, otherwise, I have issues with my hours at the end of the week. On top of these things, it takes a long time for the system to get through the four screens that you have to deal with to start or finish your workday. We've tried to streamline the process associated with this by moving to a pin number, but that has not been effective.
  • I cannot believe that you have to pay for the application. No other platform that I have seen makes the company pay for using the service AND THEN passes off the price of the app to either the company or the individual user. On top of the money aspect, all of your apps are named "HotSchedules," leaving a high probability that a user will buy a three dollar app that they have no use for. The app is also terribly created, often freezing or downright not working. I deleted it very quickly, almost as quickly as the buyers' remorse.
Takes forever to clock in, please see my detailed explanation on previous question.
Read Jake Smith's full review
Tyler Tillinghast | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 25, 2018

HotSchedules Review

HotSchedules is used by our whole organization. The primary reason we use it is to provide employees a reliable and effective way to see when they are scheduled to work. It also is useful in that it allows employees to add their availability as well as request days off. This is extremely useful when it comes to scheduling employees to suit there wants/needs.
  • Provides employees with an effective mobile application to view their schedule whenever they need to.
  • Allows employees to add availability and request days off.
  • Allows other employees to see other co-workers schedules so they know who they work with.
  • Allow companies to set up different departments within hotschedules, without constantly having to give employees different hotschedule logins.
Hotschedules is well suited when it comes to providing employees a reliable way to get their schedules. It also helps with holding employees accountable for coming to work.
Read Tyler Tillinghast's full review
corey savoie | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 25, 2018

HotSchedules Review

My company uses HotSchedules for scheduling all of our staff at all of our locations. As well as tracking our revenue and labor percentages via integration with the micros system that we use in our stores.
  • Makes scheduling easy and simple
  • Integrates well with other systems
  • Can easily be used to set up sales forecasts based on previous weeks and or years
  • Deleting old employees is more complicated then it needs to be.
  • Often times it won't allow employees to log on, saying it has an error
It's great for scheduling large amounts of staff.
Read corey savoie's full review
Jacynth Aragones | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 23, 2018

Time saving tool for everyone!

We are using hotschedules throughout all the branches of Island Pacific Supermarket. This is what we use to generate employee scheduling and time cards, manage labor cost versus labor budget, monitor employee working hours, manage overtime cost, manage employee time off requests, and is mainly used for employee time punches.
  • Easy and convenient to use.
  • Very detailed and organized.
  • A lot of times that the app/website is experiencing technical issues.
It is well suited for companies that have 50 or more employees because it will help them monitor their employee timecards easily and in an organized manner.
Read Jacynth Aragones's full review
Caleb Cochrun | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 22, 2018

HotSchedules - Mobile Clock-In

It is being used by our home office employees that are mobile and in the field for the WebClock. They aren't able to clock in at any restaurant of ours so we needed a mobile app that could track hours and compile data for us.
  • Very user-friendly
  • Customer service is very nice, patient, and willing to help right away
  • Hotschedules is a very slick looking site/application
  • I don't like that even as the admin in the above store console that I don't have access to turn on/off all features. Even for users below me. I need to contact customer service and they have to do it which just creates a lag.
  • I don't know the features that are available sometimes because they aren't activated right away for some reason, and to my point above, I have to reach out to someone else to see what they are/activate them.
  • The automated reporting isn't very robust, I really need to be able to have an automated report that can give me individual employees' hours for a week not just by job code.
Hotschedules is accessible by anyone, anywhere which is great. The lag between adding features as I stated before is a set back though and the inability to modify automated reports [is as well]. A, so the format in which most reports export to Excel is very messy and cannot be changed which is a pain to deal with sometimes.
Read Caleb Cochrun's full review
Teresa Kiyomura | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 08, 2018

Scheduling made easy and saves the company labor dollars and YOUR time.

HotSchedules is used in all departments of the FOH and BOH. It helps us forecast our labor budgets and gives us actual vs. scheduled to see if we are scheduling accurately and if all staff members are clocking in and out as scheduled. The corporate office does not have much use for HotSchedules and is utilized mostly by the operations team in the restaurants.
  • Communicates well when writing a schedule if there is overtime, overlapping shifts, or against availability to prevent poorly written schedules.
  • Notifies when there are shift changes, time off requests, or availability approvals needed.
  • Very easy to build schedules and is user-friendly.
  • Being able to override "time off approvals" after they've been approved. sometimes a staff member will make an exception and work a half a shift or change their mind and they have to go back and remove their request before a manager is able to schedule.
  • Fewer website crashes.
  • Requires the page to load completely before navigating to where you need to go.
It is well suited for restaurants that have a large staff. It keeps all of your time off requests, availability changes, and shift swaps organized all in one place. It's also a great to send out storewide messages and keep logs between the management team.
Read Teresa Kiyomura's full review
Nicholas O'Leary | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 15, 2017

Thank You Hot Schedules!

Across the whole organization. It has made scheduling and checking hours much easier.
  • It is super easy to copy schedules and paste them into future weeks if the schedule stays the same.
  • The new clock in update has made it possible for employees to check their own hours.
  • The support that is provided has proven to be helpful, especially when we first implemented HotSchedules.
  • Their clock in update was much needed, especially now that employees can check their own hours.
  • It needs to be made possible to check hours and make corrections real time and not the next day.
  • There have been issues with the clocking in and out function, particularly when coming back from breaks.
It seemed at first to be mostly useful for restaurants and other retail establishments, but it has actually worked well with our production crew as well.
Read Nicholas O'Leary's full review
Christopher Ticen | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 13, 2017

HotSchedules - The disaster

We use it across our entire organization for user management and time tracking; or we would if the time tracking feature worked. We are using it to make our schedules but still have to use our old time tracking system due to errors from hotschedules.
  • They have 24 hour support which is nice, but the reps are not trained on all the "new" features.
  • Their upper-management is not afraid to get involved and help resolve issues, which we have taken advantage of multiple times.
  • The user interface is clean and fairly easy to use.
  • The inability to share employees from site to site is really disappointing.
  • Their support reps are not aware or trained on the "new" features that are developed for customers.
  • Their database engineers seem reluctant to provide assistance correcting issues their product caused.
HotSchedules would be well suited to a small company with only one location or a company where employees do not float between stores.
Read Christopher Ticen's full review
Erin Massano, M.A. | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 12, 2017

A Company that Values its Clients!

It's used for all of our locations for time and attendance and also scheduling purposes. One of our locations uses the logbook feature which is great. We use this to pull hours, pull labor statistics, track clock in and outs, and also scheduled vs. hour employees.
  • They take feedback seriously and make changes
  • The reporting is nice to use
  • The webclock improvements are continuous
  • Being able to report on breaks
  • Being able to separate out holiday time
  • City specific pay rules to be used
I think it's great to use for basic payroll. It is not very customizable, but I do think it is good that take into consideration suggestions and make improvements to the site. I like the changes that have been made so far and it is refreshing to utilize a company that values feedback from their clients and actually makes changes.
Read Erin Massano, M.A.'s full review
Nora Leuck | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 12, 2017

HotSchedules making it easy!

Hotschedules was initially more widely used by the company to manage scheduling and hourly employees. I kept track of my staff and their hours and set and managed scheduled time. We used the clock in feature, which I liked because we could sign on remotely to clock in. Now we have to clock in at a store location, no more remote access to the clock in feature. I am now a salaried employee and do not clock-in any longer. I found the program easy to navigate and enjoyed using it.
  • Ease of setting a schedule.
  • If the schedule is repeated week after week, it is easy to copy it with out rewriting the whole thing.
  • Fast, easy reference to who is clocked in. Easy to check my weekly hours for my team and keep it under control.
  • Messaging feature was very handy.
  • Ability to delete old employees and reuse the assigned sign in number at the end of a fiscal year.
  • Really had few complaints.
The writing of schedules for a sizable staff for a retail of restaurant setting - well suited. It has the ability to send out the schedule to staff and communicate with staff. I really liked that. It gives good oversight of daily/weekly hours to watch your salary dollars.
Easy to contact staff about a change in hours or availability of extra shifts.
Read Nora Leuck's full review
Taylor Weber | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 18, 2017

HotSchedules: A Hot Way To Schedule!

We use HotSchedules for scheduling, messaging and as a time clock across several departments including food and beverage (front of house and back), the golf shop, and our golf course maintenance department. This addresses several business problems for us including managing requests, offering an online messaging portal and keeping an on eye on our labor.
  • It is a great scheduling platform. As its main focus, it is easy to use for management and our staff.
  • It makes managing requests for our staff very easy and efficient. For managers, it is simple to manage these requests.
  • Its reporting features are great. It's always nice to be able to quickly pull a report outlining just the information you are looking for.
  • The Time Clock feature could definitely use some help. We have to manually review each person's hours to make sure they didn't miss a punch. If we don't do this, it will manually clock them out at 4 am, in effect paying them for a very long day that they didn't work.
  • You should be able to copy and paste shifts when scheduling non-house shifts. Let's say I am scheduling for a special event and I need 10 servers in at 5 pm to serve, I have to manually enter all of those instead of being able to just schedule one and copy and paste it to everyone else.
  • When messaging, you should be able to respond to messages directly from your email like you can on Shift Note.
If you are scheduling for more than 10 employees and their schedules vary greatly from week to week, then I would recommend HotSchedules. If you have less employees than 10 or if your schedule is the same from week to week, then I would not recommend HotSchedules for your business.
Read Taylor Weber's full review
Jae Creech | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 26, 2018

Great Program!

We use HotScedules for employee schedules and maintaining time off throughout the business.
  • Well Organized
  • Easy Setup
  • A better layout for the employees to view their schedule
HotSchedules is perfect for contacting every employee through the inbox rather than searching their emails on a different site.
Read Jae Creech's full review
Chowdhury Islam | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 24, 2018

Amazing HotSchedules

We use HotSchedules to schedule employees; follow up with changes in schedules and SMS employees, and for payroll budget accordingly with sales forecasts.
  • Payroll Budget
  • Sales Forcast
  • Cash handling
  • Sales target
  • HotSchedules App
  • Missed punch alert to employees
  • Blocking employees for a full 30-min break
  • When employees clock in late the manager should be notified via SMS
Read Chowdhury Islam's full review
Paul Zarmati | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 24, 2018

The hot schedules review

We use the suite across all locations company wide. We use it to schedule the hourly employees at the restaurants.
  • It works great as an internal environment that the employees can use to trade shifts
  • It’s easy for the managers to make shifts and move people around buy moving blocks around by hour
  • You can copy schedules from previous weeks as a template
  • It’s very expensive for what it’s worth
  • Better integration into the POS
  • More integration between all of your own products that you offer.
Price range is insane. It’s not worth it unless your a bigger chain and need all the functionality. It would be hard to keep justifying the price for a small location
Read Paul Zarmati's full review
Louie Trinidad | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 16, 2018

Hot Schedules - the benefits in an ever changing retail environment

It is used as a schedule platform to monitor labor budget and for scheduling as well.
  • Flexibility 9 can be tailored fit to your company needs.
  • Ease of use
  • Availability ( mobile access / remote access )
  • For now concerns are addressed directly by the HotSchedules team.
It helps us understand the manning of personnel, particularly since we are a grocery - and hourly manning is critical in our business. HotSchedules has a reporting feature wherein you can view your manning by the hour once you schedule is posted. If there are gaps you will be able to see and correct it.
Read Louie Trinidad's full review

About HotSchedules

HotSchedules is a cloud-based scheduling, labor and communication management software solution serving the restaurant and hospitality industry.

According to the vendor, key benefits include:

Build & Communicate Schedules

The scheduling and labor management software reduces the time it takes managers to create and communicate schedules. All scheduling and employee information is stored in one central location, so managers have access to time-off requests, availability, skill level, and certification compliance.

Work Schedule App

The HotSchedules mobile app lets employees check their schedule, request time off, swap shifts, manage availability, and send messages. All shift requests require a manager's approval.

Forecasting and Reporting

When integrated with the POS, the tool pulls time and attendance, sales and guest data into the system. The forecasting engine shows past sales trends, which makes it possible to build schedules with the right amount of labor. There are also over 40 reports.

Multi-Unit Store View

The Above Store Console provides reporting and visibility across stores, anywhere and at any time. It can be configured by region, state, country.

Bilingual App & Support

The mobile app is available in English & Spanish. Employees can call into the AVS or Customer Support Center to get their schedule in English or Spanish - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

HotSchedules Features