- ABF reporting
- Ease of use for all people for scheduling/swapping shifts
- Tie-in to Schoox training platform
- Would like to see quicker response times to issues that arise
- Have had trouble with pre-formatted reports not coming through properly
- The are many add ons it is hard to know what you're missing out on.
- Support response time is at times long.
- Activity based scheduling should be part of standard features.
- Communication with team members
- Enforce time and attendance with POS to control labor expense
- Communication among managers
- Tracking staff performance issues
- Keeping up permits
- Does not tie labor/schedule postings to budget; too easy for managers to override
- Messages are not easily accessible
- Above store reporting tools are outdated; should be able to schedule reports
- HotSchedules tracks our labor hours and dollars. Being able to do quick labor analysis helps us make sure our pricing is in line with our estimates for clients.
- HotSchedules tracks our employee trainings. Because we are a third party audited food manufacturing facility, we have both formal certifications (CA Food Handler Cards) and monthly trainings on subjects such as Food Safety, GMP's, Pest Control, Allergen Control, HACCP and Sanitation. Being able to have a record easily accessible for each employee to prove to our auditors and keep those employees up to date with training is invaluable as an organizational tool.
- I find that the system of assigning jobs and rates is a little tedious, but understand the need for it.
- I'm not familiar enough with the copy and setting the next week's schedule, but it's not necessarily hard to use.
- The whole assigning welcome letter and with log in and password is difficult with the Spanish speakers even though you have a Spanish version.
- Many of our employees do not have email or smart phones, so I find that HotSchedules is not as useful to them or us.
- HS is useful for keeping track of hours
- HS is probably the best platform for this type of service
- Users are able to see their hours in an easy to read format
- The most frustrating thing about this platform is how long it takes to clock in for the workday. I have to log in to the portal, which takes me to a second screen that I have to log in to, which takes me to a THIRD screen to select that I want to clock in / out. I then have to wait to make sure that it actually clocks me in before walking off, otherwise, I have issues with my hours at the end of the week. On top of these things, it takes a long time for the system to get through the four screens that you have to deal with to start or finish your workday. We've tried to streamline the process associated with this by moving to a pin number, but that has not been effective.
- I cannot believe that you have to pay for the application. No other platform that I have seen makes the company pay for using the service AND THEN passes off the price of the app to either the company or the individual user. On top of the money aspect, all of your apps are named "HotSchedules," leaving a high probability that a user will buy a three dollar app that they have no use for. The app is also terribly created, often freezing or downright not working. I deleted it very quickly, almost as quickly as the buyers' remorse.
- Provides employees with an effective mobile application to view their schedule whenever they need to.
- Allows employees to add availability and request days off.
- Allows other employees to see other co-workers schedules so they know who they work with.
- Allow companies to set up different departments within hotschedules, without constantly having to give employees different hotschedule logins.
- Makes scheduling easy and simple
- Integrates well with other systems
- Can easily be used to set up sales forecasts based on previous weeks and or years
- Deleting old employees is more complicated then it needs to be.
- Often times it won't allow employees to log on, saying it has an error
- Very user-friendly
- Customer service is very nice, patient, and willing to help right away
- Hotschedules is a very slick looking site/application
- I don't like that even as the admin in the above store console that I don't have access to turn on/off all features. Even for users below me. I need to contact customer service and they have to do it which just creates a lag.
- I don't know the features that are available sometimes because they aren't activated right away for some reason, and to my point above, I have to reach out to someone else to see what they are/activate them.
- The automated reporting isn't very robust, I really need to be able to have an automated report that can give me individual employees' hours for a week not just by job code.
- Communicates well when writing a schedule if there is overtime, overlapping shifts, or against availability to prevent poorly written schedules.
- Notifies when there are shift changes, time off requests, or availability approvals needed.
- Very easy to build schedules and is user-friendly.
- Being able to override "time off approvals" after they've been approved. sometimes a staff member will make an exception and work a half a shift or change their mind and they have to go back and remove their request before a manager is able to schedule.
- Fewer website crashes.
- Requires the page to load completely before navigating to where you need to go.
- It is super easy to copy schedules and paste them into future weeks if the schedule stays the same.
- The new clock in update has made it possible for employees to check their own hours.
- The support that is provided has proven to be helpful, especially when we first implemented HotSchedules.
- Their clock in update was much needed, especially now that employees can check their own hours.
- It needs to be made possible to check hours and make corrections real time and not the next day.
- There have been issues with the clocking in and out function, particularly when coming back from breaks.
- They have 24 hour support which is nice, but the reps are not trained on all the "new" features.
- Their upper-management is not afraid to get involved and help resolve issues, which we have taken advantage of multiple times.
- The user interface is clean and fairly easy to use.
- The inability to share employees from site to site is really disappointing.
- Their support reps are not aware or trained on the "new" features that are developed for customers.
- Their database engineers seem reluctant to provide assistance correcting issues their product caused.
- They take feedback seriously and make changes
- The reporting is nice to use
- The webclock improvements are continuous
- Being able to report on breaks
- Being able to separate out holiday time
- City specific pay rules to be used
- Ease of setting a schedule.
- If the schedule is repeated week after week, it is easy to copy it with out rewriting the whole thing.
- Fast, easy reference to who is clocked in. Easy to check my weekly hours for my team and keep it under control.
- Messaging feature was very handy.
- Ability to delete old employees and reuse the assigned sign in number at the end of a fiscal year.
- Really had few complaints.
Easy to contact staff about a change in hours or availability of extra shifts.
- Payroll Budget
- Sales Forcast
- Cash handling
- Sales target
- HotSchedules App
- Missed punch alert to employees
- Blocking employees for a full 30-min break
- When employees clock in late the manager should be notified via SMS
- It works great as an internal environment that the employees can use to trade shifts
- It’s easy for the managers to make shifts and move people around buy moving blocks around by hour
- You can copy schedules from previous weeks as a template
- It’s very expensive for what it’s worth
- Better integration into the POS
- More integration between all of your own products that you offer.
- Schedule changes--live time schedule updates.
- Management log--accessed easily by app when away from restaurant.
- Time off management--easy to block dates, approve or deny requests.
- Always improving. New updates seem to be done well and improve the software.
- Time off approvals- Keeps a list of who has requested and been approved for time. Makes it easy to not schedule someone accidentally.
- Schedule templates- allows me to have the schedule done with inminutes.
- Employee time management- allows you to see if someone is predicted to hit overtime. Keeps our payroll down.
- If I am looking at the Staff area, for example, and I go into a particular employee, then want to return to the list - I would like it to not automatically start again at the top of the list but where I left off.
- Loading time could be faster
- If I wanted to add a extra shift prior to applying my template it will not allow me to use the template.
- Hotschedules is very easy to navigate making it usable by everyone!
- Hotschedules makes staying organized easy!
- We can reach every single employee at any given moment with important information through hotschedules!
- We just had an update to our time clock and we don’t like it. It takes longer for our management and team to clock in and out and has added steps that could be more simplified, though we do like seeing hours worked so far.
- Communication is so simple on HotSchedules. Whether it is communicating a new schedule release, or a quick note about tonight's shift we as managers are able to easily communicate and know that it will reach our team through text notifications, or email notifications.
- The Meal Break planning tool is very useful in being able to help our floor leaders clearly understand and plan for what breaks are needed throughout the shift. This allows them to come up with a strategic game plan quickly and spend more time with our guests.
- Shift Swaps and Releases are so seamless. This is our favorite tool as it makes helping our team cover shifts extremely easy and painless. On the flip side it also makes staff who want more hours be able to find what is available in real time.
- Breaks and Meals: On the time clock we are limited with meals and breaks. If someone has a 4-7.99 hour shift we give them a 20 minute paid rest break. If the employee reaches an 8-hour shift they are given 2 15 minute rest breaks and a 30-minute meal. Meal and Break set up cannot understand changing the breaks. We had it set up to add a 10-minute break to equal 30 minutes when you reach the 8th hour, however, the time clock when they click "Start Break" still gives them 20 minutes on both breaks leaving confusion.
- The Availability module has a few issues we have noticed. When a new employee is set to start a new availability it does not change in the scheduler. The Scheduler still holds the old staff members availability making it challenging for the scheduler to schedule appropriately.
- We believe a late or missed schedule report should be available to print easier reports for time and attendance tracking. Currently having to go through each staff's punch is not as smooth as it could be. This seems to be a simple addition to a great arsenal of reports.
- All the information needed for your employees can all be found in one place. From the availability of an employee to their pay rate to their phone number. It's all just a click away. Before HotSchedules all of this information was kept in different places and the managers would need to open several documents and contact lists to find what they were looking for about a single employee.
- Control over how indepth you use the product. The possibilities of this service are seemingly endless. However if you are solely looking for a specific feature HotSchedules offers you have the ability to soley use that feature. HotSchedules can simply schedule, or it can automatically schedule, or you can assign a specific job to a specific person on a specific day. For us, we have employees who are doing a specific job/task one week and then they are needed for a different job/task the next week. HotSchedules allowed us to narrow down our options starting with department, moving to location, moving down to the job they would be preforming for that scheduled day.
- The ease of changing/releasing shifts. If an employee wants more hours they can go in and select shifts that are up for grabs or request to work on a specific day at a specific time. The opposite is also true. If an employee is worried they will have too many hours that week, they can release their shift and put it up for grabs by a different employee. And of course, all of this is fairly customizable to what you want your employees to have the ability to do, with or without your intervention and approval. In our case, if a shift lead releases a shift we only want other shift leads to be able to pick up the shift. HotSchedules allows us to do just that.
- Clocking In and out can be a little slow. It takes longer to clock in then our previous method. Before we just had a card you swiped and it would clock you in. Took 2 seconds. Now with the Hotschdules method we use it take 30 seconds or so. Not a huge issue but it can add up if you have one computer and a line of employees waiting to clock in.
- Time Cards. It does not allow you to view someones current time until the "punch" has ended. If the manager would like to check what time the employee clocked in/out from lunch they have to wait until the employee has clocked out for the day before the record is generated. As a shift lead you may send and employee to lunch but forget to note what time you sent them. Awhile passes and you feel like they should be back by now, so you want to go in and see what time they left for lunch but it does not show you that punch record because the employee is still "clocked in" they are just on their "Meal Break"
- The ability to customize the restrictions for Clocking in and out. You can set it up so that employees can only clock in from a specific location, however if you have a manager who is allowed to work from home they would not be able to clock in without being at the same location as set in the software. It would be nice to see it able to be customized per user.
HotSchedules Scorecard Summary
HotSchedules is a cloud-based scheduling, labor and communication management software solution serving the restaurant and hospitality industry.
According to the vendor, key benefits include:
Build & Communicate Schedules
The scheduling and labor management software reduces the time it takes managers to create and communicate schedules. All scheduling and employee information is stored in one central location, so managers have access to time-off requests, availability, skill level, and certification compliance.Work Schedule App
The HotSchedules mobile app lets employees check their schedule, request time off, swap shifts, manage availability, and send messages. All shift requests require a manager's approval.Forecasting and Reporting
When integrated with the POS, the tool pulls time and attendance, sales and guest data into the system. The forecasting engine shows past sales trends, which makes it possible to build schedules with the right amount of labor. There are also over 40 reports.Multi-Unit Store View
The Above Store Console provides reporting and visibility across stores, anywhere and at any time. It can be configured by region, state, country.Bilingual App & Support
The mobile app is available in English & Spanish. Employees can call into the AVS or Customer Support Center to get their schedule in English or Spanish - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
HotSchedules Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
|Bilingual: English & Spanish|
HotSchedules Technical Details
|Mobile Application:||Apple iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Blackberry, Mobile Web|
|Supported Languages: ||English, Spanish|