Overall Satisfaction with Intacct
Intacct is being used by our entire organization to manage our various restricted funds (over 50 of them) and the overall accounting function of the Foundation. It allows us to outsource the bill payment process to many of the departments around the campus that we support... replacing a former 100% paper process with a now 100% paperless process. The standard AP module did not allow us to achieve this according to our (probably unique) needs, but we were able to develop a custom application using Platform Services to address all of our needs. The other important business problem that it addresses for us is the reporting aspect.... This is very important because we manage all of these funds (or accounts) on behalf of various University departments. With Intacct we are able to give all of these departments real-time access to their fund information, and customize the reporting to fit their specific needs.
- Granular, extremely flexible report building function... This allowed us to build a report using Account Groups that allowed us to arrange our accounts and departments to match specific lines on the IRS Form 990. When it comes time to prepare that tax form, all we have to do is run that report and make some small tweaks and it is ready to enter into the tax software.
- Platform Solutions - the ability to develop your own applications (or modules) inside of Intacct without any previous programming experience is amazing and perhaps is our most-used function. The AP Module did not meet our specific needs (and wasn't accessible to what are called "employee users", which are basically much cheaper users who only have access to a limited number of modules) so we basically created our own bill approval system using Platform Services.
- For Non-Profits, the ability to set up hierarchical structures for departments/funds.... really great feature and, again, really flexible
- Many of their new features that they roll out don't seem to be tested very much first, and many of them don't seem to enhance many of the things we use
- Some features that many other software solutions offer are missing.... like the ability to merge old accounts or merge duplicate vendors
- Much better customer service because the bill payment time (including reimbursements to our University employees) has decreased dramatically.... By an average of 60-70%.
- Allows Foundation to continue with a small staff (3 full time) while managing over $50 million in assets and over 50 funds for UAB
We looked at Sage's non-profit accounting software and were former Timberline users but decided to pass on it because it wasn't a true cloud-based solution. They could have one now, but we're happy with Intacct.