LibreOffice Free an Useful
Curt Dickman profile photo
August 14, 2017

LibreOffice Free an Useful

Overall Satisfaction with LibreOffice

This review is primarily directed to small businesses. I own a small auto repair business and use LibreOffice to generate all documents not created by my invoicing program. It is easy to use for making letters, labels, business cards - anything I need to produce. I have used it to view PowerPoint presentations, and it worked trouble free. I really like the export as pdf function. Whenever I need to attach a document to an email this ensures compatibility.

My wife is a nurse and is required to use state provided forms in one of the Microsoft formats. LibreOffice has worked well with these documents.
We both use fully encrypted Linux installs, so I am unable to compare with Microsoft Office. I don't use spreadsheets or databases, so I can't comment on their use. I have read some of the documentation on their use, and they appear to be quite functional.

For a small business that doesn't want to spend the money on Microsoft Office, give LibreOffice a try.
  • Open and save Microsoft formats, I have not run into any issues with compatibility.
  • Export as PDF ensures I can provide a digital document that is usable
  • Easy download and install in Windows
  • It would be nice to have larger font sizes available for some items
  • LibreOffice is free, so ROI is real good. It does everything I need it to.
  • AbiWord, Microsoft Works and OpenOffice
LibreOffice is a fork of OpenOffice. I haven't used Open Office since my Linux distribution switched to Libre Office, but I don't remember much difference when changing. I haven't used Works in many years. AbiWord is much more basic and only provides word processing.
LibreOffice has worked for every task I needed. I am sure there are areas where Microsoft Office has it beat. The best I can say is to try it to see if it will fulfill all your needs.