Oracle VM VirtualBox Reviews

TrustRadius Top Rated for 2019

Barry Burd | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 06, 2020

VirtualBox Goes to School

It might be used across the organization, but the only use I'm familiar with is in my department. We use VirtualBox so that students can work on platforms other than the ones that their computers natively support.
  • Easy to use virtualization.
  • Nice tool for teaching.
  • Easy updates.
  • Wide range of client operating systems.
  • Occasional slow performance (but not very often).
  • There's always room for a more friendly user experience.
VirtualBox is an indispensable tool for teaching Computer Science courses of all kinds at the college level. Most recently, I used VirtualBox to run a toy operating system in my OS course. Without VirtualBox (or a product like VirtualBox) students would have had to install the toy operating system directly "on the metal" on their computers. This would have been both inconvenient and a bit dangerous. In other courses, students get to learn to use operating systems that they would otherwise not have access to. In still other courses, VirtualBox provides a common image that all students, regardless of their laptop's platform, can use.
Read Barry Burd's full review
Nate Dillon | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 20, 2020

VirtualBox is a great VM option for use with Vagrant

My department mostly uses Oracle VM VirtualBox for running virtual machines from the command line with Vagrant, and VirtualBox is free to use and available on several different platforms. We use virtual machines for all of our development because this enables us to more closely match the servers used in our production environment.
  • Works well with Vagrant.
  • Runs other operating systems as a virtual machine, like Windows or Linux.
  • Not the best user interface.
  • Not the best at running Windows in a VM.
Oracle VM VirtualBox works great if you just need a simple virtual machine provider for use with Vagrant. It also works well if you need to run another operating system in a VM and you don't care too much about nice host OS integrations. Other VM software can get kind of expensive, and VirtualBox is a pretty good option if you don't want to spend any money. If you are looking for the best experience running Windows in a VM, then I would recommend looking elsewhere.
Read Nate Dillon's full review
Kenneth Hess | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 04, 2019

Oracle VM VirtualBox gives you the best of all virtual worlds

A lot of people across the organization use it for various reasons but mostly for testing and development. It's a quick and cost-free way to test scripts, programs, and new techniques without fear of damaging other systems. Virtual machines can be created or destroyed at will and no one is impacted except the virtual machine owner. It's a great way to test and work locally on something even before taking the test scenario or code to a multi-user system.
  • It runs a variety of operating systems and versions of operating systems.
  • It has no fees, subscriptions, or other costs associated with it.
  • One can quickly build, pause, or remove a virtual machine within minutes for testing.
  • It allows you to access the Internet and other network equipment without fear of direct attacks by using NAT.
  • I'd prefer an easier, background upgrade process without the nag dialog window.
  • I'd like to be able to set global settings so that I don't have to configure them each time I install a new VM.
VirtualBox is well suited for test and development. It is handy because you can build VMs in a variety of formats and port them to other systems running VirtualBox and use them with other virtualization technologies. It is not suited for production business use but only as a workstation test solution.
Read Kenneth Hess's full review
Christopher Boyd | TrustRadius Reviewer

VirtualBox is a gift!

I use VirtualBox to spin up Linux VMs in my day job and recommend it to my students for building VMs on their various systems.

VirtualBox is what first allowed me to learn about VMs, and eventually Linux, without having to worry about having dedicated hardware or about quickly putting up and tearing down a whole computer's OS. I use VirtualBox today for build pipelines (software and game dev on Linux) as well as a testbed for software I'm getting ready to deploy on my company's servers, such as automation scripts or cron jobs. It also is great for working on local web dev tasks without having to be connecting to the internet and a real server.
  • Very simple and easy to understand. I'm able to pass this application on to my students and colleagues and they have no trouble getting their bearings and setting up VMs.
  • Quick to launch VMs and the UI (both the app and the overlay when working in a VM) are simple and make it easy to get things done while also staying out of my way.
  • It feels like a product that should cost a lot. It works well and is maintained. I've never had any problems with it.
  • The downside to the simple design is that some people are turned off by this and assume it's not a good application.
For anyone who needs to be able to quickly spin up VMs with little fanfare, VirtualBox is great. For people new to VMs, or wanting to try out a new OS, VirtualBox tries to adopt the most sensical default options when starting a VM. Unlike past versions where I'd have issues, as of writing the current version is excellent at getting my video card, audio, and internet setup so that it simply works with the VM and the OS I'm setting up.
Read Christopher Boyd's full review
Claudio Fernando Maciel | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 03, 2019

A very good choice for virtualization

We use Oracle VM VirtualBox as the base for virtualizing all Docker as well as Vagrant machines in the computers which are Windows-based. There are several computers, both dev, and test servers which take advantage of virtualization services in our company, thus Oracle VM Virtual Box comes to our aid in a very satisfactory way.
  • Easy zero to hero configuration.
  • Excellent backup (snapshot) functionality, which one can take advantage of at a few clicks in order to restore an old snapshot.
  • Scripting functionalities, which we use in our dev and testing servers to bring different machines up, during services bootstrapping.
  • Memory and processing segmentation. Differently from technologies such as Docker (in Linux), one must segment the overall RAM and Processor usage in order to spare it to the virtual machine being created.
  • Faulty recovery when virtual machines improperly shutdown. As one needs to bring the faulted machine up again, there is a sequence of clean up that must take place before the given virtual machine can be brought back to life.
Oracle is advisable for both creating a constellation of different OS's inside the same machine, thus separating the varied configurations that may be necessary for each virtual machine. One can in this way avoid all the hassle of having way too many versions of systems, such as a Java Version Machine, for instance, of for solving any other conflicting dependencies that may arise when there are just too many versions and types of systems being used in the company.

If one is looking for something that may be easily copied, Oracle VM VirtualBox may not be the best choice. Docker is better for this (in case Windows is not the base OS), for it gives a scripted way of configuring one's virtual machine, and then pulling it from an online repository.
Read Claudio Fernando Maciel's full review
Jordan Squire | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 01, 2019

Free software virtualization keeping everyone in sync

We use Oracle VM VirtualBox quite extensively at our company to virtualize software. The main use case that we have is for our software engineers. Our engineering team has a single approved developer virtual machine that all of us use. It makes developer support and the replication of problems much easier knowing we are all on identical environments. Also for new hires it makes getting their environments set up a quick and easy process. Other departments use it to run Windows or Linux applications on their Macs.
  • Software virtualization.
  • Environment replication.
  • Environment portability.
  • Multiple operating systems on one machine.
  • Environment snapshots for easy recovery after or to revert changes.
  • Detailed environment configuration with suggestions based on your host system's resources.
  • It's free.
  • VM errors typically crash the VM.
  • If the host machine runs out of disk space the VM will become unreadable even after freeing space. Fortunately VirtualBox keeps a previous copy, but you have to manually restore it.
  • Somewhat buggy, so you learn how to work around the bugs.
  • Some host hardware is not supported.
Read Jordan Squire's full review
Gledson Rodrigues | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 09, 2019

Simplified Virtualization

We use the software in our NOC, as a laboratory, to conduct tests and train staff in new network technologies. This helps us to predict future problems and improve our infrastructure.
  • Compatibility with various operating systems. I can create VMs with different systems.
  • In our case, we work a lot of equipment operating systems like routers and switches, without any problem.
  • The merge, we set up scenarios with different systems and we get connectivity, all talking to simulate different situations.
  • The robustness of the system allows us to work with great scenarios.
  • It is not about where to improve in the solution, it is robust and if the user does not have reasonable hardware, you will not be able to work much on it. So it's more about the user side, the VMs weight.
As I've mentioned, proper scenarios are NOCs, laboratories that need both virtualization and test environments, and that have a reasonable infrastructure.
Smaller environments, with more basic hardware, cannot take good advantage of what the solution has to offer.
Read Gledson Rodrigues's full review
Justin Bongard | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 03, 2019

Great for free, but if you need anything enterprise, use vmWare

If we need a Linux environment, we create it in VirtualBox. We'll use the environment for running tools like penetration testing or checking items for malicious code.
  • VM used by one person at a time on that user's PC
  • running a VM server on a server
  • Running Windows or Linux
  • Using with BOINC so they can run virtual environments on your PC
  • Last I used it, there wasn't a great wizard to convert a machine like VMware's Conversion wizard
  • No way to move a running VM to another drive
  • Not a great snapshot management system.
It's suited for basic VM hosting. If you are needing a hypervisor, load balancer for running VMs, to replicate them across servers, etc, you'll definitely want to go for vmWare instead.
Read Justin Bongard's full review
February 26, 2020

A no-cost and really good virtualization software platform.

It is being used more at the department level than across the whole organization. It is really up to individual departments to decide if they want to use VirtualBox for managing VM's. It addresses the business problem of having a VM management all-in-one-solution that can manage most platforms in use today (e.g. Windows, MacOS, Linux, etc.) Some solutions don't offer support for most all platforms, or some are more problematic when it comes to managing the wide array of platforms out there.
  • One thing it does really well is the actual interface (home screen) of the management console. It is well laid out as far as showing you the VM's you have installed and giving information on each of those VM's (such as General information, System Information, etc.).
  • Another good feature of VirtualBox is it generally doesn't use a whole lot of system resources for the most part, and generally won't slow down a computer too much while it is in use.
  • One thing that could be worked on is improving how the program affects system resources when running multiple VM's at the same time. For the most part, running just 1 VM doesn't tax system resources too much, but if you run multiple VM's, you may experience system slowdowns or other performance issues.
  • Another improvement can be made in how VirtualBox detects the host system to determine whether the host is 32-bit or 64-bit. My experience was that the application came back saying my system didn't have a 64-bit processor, but in fact it did, and it was running the 64-bit OS.
It is well suited for organizations that are looking for a low cost, or no cost, VM management solution. Some other commercial solutions can get quite expensive, but the best thing about VirtualBox is it's free. Also, it is well suited to environments that have a lot of different platforms (e.g. Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.) running, or where users are all using different platforms

It is less suited in environments that want to have access to many different channels of support, such as phone, web, email. As an end-user, with VirtualBox, you pretty much have online/KB articles to refer to for help/support with the product, and also a Community forum for getting help/feedback from other users of VirtualBox.
December 09, 2019

The best friend of any cybersecurity professional!

Virtual box is used by several teams across the organization. In my case, as I'm a cybersecurity specialist, I use it on a daily basis to create temporary VMs to test exploits and payloads. Some other teams also use temporary VMs for malware analysis.
  • Easy to customize the VMs
  • Low resource consumption
  • Better support for GPU intensive VMs
In my case, I only use VirtualBox for temporary VMs, and I can say they are perfect for that. I haven't used it to permanent VMs or big applications.
November 22, 2019

Love at first install

Virtual box helped me in the evaluation of guest operating systems such as Kali Linux and Backbox Linux before I chose to stay with Kali Linux. I had to choose these between this software for penetration testing of a certain product that we were rolling out into the market.
  • I did not have to install the operating systems to evaluate them
  • I could run two or more instances of these operating systems concurrently
  • Oracle made it simple to start and stop the virtual machines and also save the state so as to continue where I left off
  • Oracle should find a way to put sound on these operating systems without having to download guest OS add-ons
  • When putting a flash, Oracle should pick that the flash has been inserted to the new OS and not have to go back and add it to the filters
Oracle Virtual Box is very well suited when one wants to use an operating system that they have but cannot install it on their computer, either for security or because they do not have space. One can create a virtual hard disk and continue to use it without problems as any other hard disk.
October 22, 2019

Oracle VM VirtualBox: Great product!

We used Oracle VM VirtualBox to support users across our whole organization. It was helpful to troubleshoot issues and assist users with technical issues and resolving any other problems before pushing it to development.
  • Cross-platform functionality
  • Utilize multiple VMs on a host-only network
  • Very user-friendly
  • When setting up an environment with different OSs for testing cross-OSs testing, this software was utilized.
  • When multiple guests were utilizing it, it was easy to set up.
  • everyone can run the same build scripts when an environment changes.
As the environment changes or needs updating, everyone is able to run the same script. It allows us to quickly develop and test in various standardized environments on our own PCs.
October 18, 2019

Simple, but powerful virtualization solution!

Oracle VM VirtualBox has been chosen as a default virtualization solution in our organization. Depending on the department that is using it the business use cases are very different. However, our customer support center is where the VirtualBox is most often used, mainly for running images received from different users to confirm the issues reported on production environments.
  • Running OS images from multiple environments on a single system.
  • Broad storage support with advanced storage emulation features.
  • Ability to seamlessly run virtualized applications together with normal OS native applications.
  • Shared clipboard could be working better for live CD images.
  • Snapshots do not allow us to adjust network adapter settings.
Oracle VM VirtualBox works very well for the majority of use cases that I can think of. Simplicity and ease of use are among VirtualBox's main highlights. Licensing model suits our organization very well, however, Extension Pack can be problematic since it is closed-source licensed. The experimental support for Mac OS guest makes VirtualBox less appropriate for running it on non-Apple hardware.
October 11, 2019

Open-Source, but Enterprise-Level Performance.

Our testing and core engineering teams are collaboratively using Oracle VM VirtualBox to test the performance and quality of our various standalone applications on different operating systems. When creating applications that run on a consumer's system locally, there is a great deal of uncertainty on whether the given application will work under all types of environments such as type of OS, OS architecture, amount of hardware resources, etc. We are using Oracle VM VirtualBox to eliminate these uncertainties.
  • Shared Clipboard between host and virtualized OS. Not only can you copy/paste text, but you can also drag-and-drop files between OS.
  • Great Support for USB Devices. Unlike many other alternatives out there, none of them rival VirtualBox in the amount of supported USB Devices.
  • Unlimited Number of Snapshots. From my own experience, VirtualBox is the only virtualization solution that supports an unlimited number of saved snapshots.
  • High CPU and Memory Utilization. Even when running on more than capable hardware, Oracle VM VirtualBox uses and excessive amount of resources, slowing the host OS down.
  • Poor 3D Graphics Support. The amount of settings and features related to enhancing graphics in general is fairly limited for VirtualBox.
  • PCIe Passthrough functionality is quite buggy. Many other alternatives have fully implemented this, but VirtualBox has yet to do so.
Oracle VM VirtualBox is the best solution out there when it comes to enterprise-level virtualization. It is well-suited for most scenarios, unless you require extreme performance or advanced DirectX or OpenGL graphics in your use-case. If you need to cluster your virtualization environments together, you probably want to use VMWare.

Best Option for the Cost

We currently use VirtualBox for both production and non-production environments. In production, it supports an application that is rarely used. In non-production, we use to extensively test applications and new software. Historically, I have found VirtualBox invaluable for any testing I can think of for I.T. matters. It has provided a safe environment that was affordable for extensive testing.
  • Cost
  • Ease of use
  • Ease of deployment
  • Innovation
  • Enterprise use in production environments
  • Support
  • Training
VirtualBox is hands down the best option for test/non-production I.T. environments. It is trivial to install. From there, it is the easiest of any virtualization product when it comes to creating VMs. VirtualBox has always been simple and straightforward. If you encounter a problem, it's very easy to delete the VM and start all over again with minimal time lost.

My Oracle VM VirtualBox Review

Virtualbox is being used by our company for infrastructure on demand. We also use it for testing and spinning up sandboxes. Vbox is really helpful because it gives us so much control over what we are trying to spin up and how we would like to spin it up. It is being used by many developers within our company as a default standard for virtualization.
  • It is very easy for users to and navigate through the interface. The learning curve is not too high.
  • VM Vbox also integrates very well with our DevOps tools such as Jenkins and Chef.
  • Vbox also comes with great enterprise support from a very well dedicated company.
  • The API documentation would be more detailed
  • An increase in the speed it takes for a VM to spin up would help our pipeless hang less
  • Having support for older versions of windows and AIX would be great
Overall it is a great tool, especially for users who want to spin up sandboxes locally, at a quick pace. This allowed for our team to reduce the need for cloud infrastructure, and have more control and customization over what we spun up. VMs were created, saved, copied, and destroy as we saw fit.
October 02, 2019

Great VM for cost effectiveness and performance

We are testing an AI product in the company, and VirtualBox VM helps us in testing several OS, environments, and applications.
  • Very easy to install.
  • Numerous options available for customization.
  • Open-source.
  • Variety of disk images format available, allowing the user to run multiple OS simultaneously.
  • Updated often.
  • Great community support.
  • Documentation could be made better.
  • It could be a little confusing to use for the first time, as the interface is not the best.
  • It could be slow at times.
Oracle VM VirtualBox is a great product for people working in IT, as you can get access to a working framework for testing the code before releasing it. Small companies can make good use of this product as it is free and has a great support community.
Gabryella Mengarda | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 03, 2019

Complete virtualization tool. Easy to use and high performance delivery.

• Virtualbox is a complete virtualization solution, works great on servers or home needs.
  • The main advantage is the cost: zero. It offers all the virtualization technologies available in the market, compatibility with operating systems, through additional guests.
  • Virtualization performance is easily compared to your paid competitors.
  • The user interface is very easy to use, very intuitive.
  • If you do not have much technical knowledge, just a few clicks and that's it, you have any operating system, according to your needs.
  • Easy to find, easy to install and very easy to use.
  • Intuitive interface. The creation of virtual machines is fast, and access to them is uncomplicated.
  • All available virtualization technology. Compatibility with Intel and processors, and their technologies. Compatibility with all hardware.
  • I did not find any difficulty in using Virtualbox, I can not define "cons".
  • I can suggest creating a cloud, where the user can export their technical settings with other users, or even multiple computers.
I think the best scenario for using Virtualbox is: small and medium businesses, or home applications. However, nothing prevents you from using it in large companies. However, I believe that the technical support of paid tools is more "customized".
Read Gabryella Mengarda's full review
ram nair | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 18, 2019

Good product

It is used for educational and evaluation processes. It can also be used for personal processes. It is being used in several departments.
  • Can be run on Windows and Linux.
  • Ease of use.
  • Cloud-based.
  • Development environment.
It is suitable for working on all applications.
Read ram nair's full review
September 19, 2019

Operate multiple OS/ machines right from your base machine using VirtualBox

VirtualBox is a very light-weight software which is available as a hypervisor. This software can be installed on any OS (Windows, Mac or any flavour of Linux) and be leveraged for virtualization. Within our organisation, VirtualBox is used by couple of departments. The departments which handle the internal and external development or testing of the applications highly rely on this piece of software. As per business problems, it is always better to have 10 machines in a single base machine rather than 10 different physical machines. So with VirtualBox these types of problems are solved and multiple systems/ servers are deployed in the base machine which help us to do multiple tasks and once and keep a number of servers live at a single point in time.
  • Total size of the software: is one of the best part of this hypervisor. I have used tons in my career and this is the lightest among all of them so far. This is a great plus point because:
  • It keeps you hard disk happy because whatever space the virtual instance will take is the only space being occupied since the space captured by the software is negligible.
  • The performance of the CPU as well as the virtualisation engine boosts up to a very huge level.
  • Supports up to 32 virtual machines: This software can hold the power of 32 virtual machines which might take up physical space of the entire small sized office. This can hold an entire company in one installation of VirtualBox.
  • Support for all the OS: It can be installed either in Mac or Linux and of course the widely used Windows and all of them can be linked in a local network seamlessly. So there are no such boundaries regarding the Operating Systems.
  • VirtualBox still have some features which I am still not able to understand even after having used the software from so long time. I have never found proper videos which provide full fledged training materials on this software. This is a big lag as there might be some option available that can help in our day to day life, but we are still not aware about that option.
  • The design can be revamped and transformed to a fancy one. There are no animations and even the Mac version of the software contains comes pixels at times. This can decrease the overall liking of the people which can become a serious issue in the near future.
Oracle VirtualBox is best suited if you work on multiple machines/ OS's at one time or even during different parts of the day. This will help you work from your single base machine and help you to achieve all the tasks very easily and efficiently. It is even helpful for students who want to learn new things and try new Operating Systems without actually migrating to one.
If you do not use multiple machines or maybe just using Windows the whole day for your job functions, then this software might not be useful for you.
September 17, 2019

Excellent solution for quickly deploying VM environments

I used VirtualBox to test various operating system configurations, and occasionally to enable users to use Windows applications on Mac computers. I've used various virtualization suites such as Parallels VM but VirtualBox is easy to deploy and gets the job done without having to worry about costly upgrade fees. I especially have had better luck networking virtual machines than with other virtualization solutions.
  • Networking
  • Cross-platform compatibility
  • Testing
  • Speed of installation
  • I've found it could use better and more detailed settings for optimizing the screen output for various displays.
It's especially well suited whenever a quick solution is needed due to the ease of deployment. I've found it's less suited for graphics design compared to other VM solutions which seem to optimize the display output better on various types of monitors.
May 31, 2019

Quick and Easy

VirtualBox is used in multiple different ways including test virtual machines, jumpboxes, and production machines.
  • Simple and easy to use, setup took only a few minutes and was not too complicated.
  • Free! I had tried other products that were not free, and they were not as good as this one.
  • The ability to quickly spin up, or down, a dev and test environment, quickly and easily is very nice.
  • Support. I've had a few issues, and would love a response from support or help with it, but none found.
  • Stability. Sometimes restoring VMs fails.
If you are looking to quickly spin up VMs without having to pay for a product and know that they will most likely not be in a production environment, VirtualBox is the way to go. Set up is quick and simple and your dev environment will be up and running in minutes.
David Currier | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 21, 2018

Use Oracle VM VirtualBox For Desktop Virtualization and Development Testing

I use Oracle VM VirtualBox to build isolated virtual workstations and for building development and test environments. Isolated virtual workstations allow me to access customer environments without the need to reconfigure my primary workstation to match the specific remote access requirements of each system. This dramatically speeds up access and prevents unintentional damage to my own system and access to my primary environment. I can also quickly spin up entire virtual environments to test specific design scenarios.
  • It is simple to install - there is no advanced knowledge required to begin building virtual computers
  • It is easy to use - adding new virtual machines is simple with wizard-based deployment
  • It enables easy portability - moving virtual machines from one host to another is straight-forward and simple
  • It is free
  • You get what you pay for - yes, VirtualBox is free, but I've had occasional stability issues, just like any other computer I use
  • Many host resources (like networking) are blindly simple to use, some (like folder sharing) can be a bit shaky at times or challenging to get working correctly
Oracle VM VirtualBox is a perfect solution for the developer who needs to run a few virtual machines for development and testing purposes. It can also work very well in cases where a large complex virtual environment and advanced storage is not required. In general, it requires a host OS, so it will not function quite like a true headless virtual server. Don't expect it to become your solution to replace a bunch of servers with a massive, redundant, automated virtual environment. That's not what it is for.
Read David Currier's full review
Mauro Carrillo | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 14, 2018

Open Source VM

Oracle VM VirtualBox is used by our internal IT department to test various operating systems and applications. It's a very useful tool to stand up to a virtualized environment for testing. It's easy to use and manage.
  • This open source software is a powerful tool to test deployment of any new OS and applications.
  • VirtualBox is a general-purpose virtualizer of hardware that can host any targeted server or desktop.
  • Compatibility issues. At times there seems to be errors when configuring a virtual machine with newer OS. For example, Windows 10.
  • Lack of support. Being that this is an Open Source software there is very little support as far as articles available to troubleshoot issues.
This solution is great for anyone who needs to virtualize a system and is looking for an inexpensive way of creating a test environment. This is, however, not a cloud-based solution in any way. This is more of a stand alone for a quick deployment.
Read Mauro Carrillo's full review
Benard Mutua | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 22, 2018

A great software

Oracle VirtualBox is a great addition to my organization's software collection, as it gives us the ability to make use of other software available, such as Genie Motion, by running them directly on the virtual environment. It is so simple to do this using VirtualBox, as the user interface gives the user the ability to change most of the parameters involved.
  • Oracle VirtualBox has guides for optimum virtual machine performance, but does not limit the user to using them.
  • VirtualBox is fast to setup and simple to use
  • The user interface gives users the ability to change a wide range of the machines parameters before starting the Virtual Machine
  • In some computers, for the Virtual Machine to work one must allow virtualization through the bios
  • VirtualBox settings, such as sound drivers, are not available
  • To use some drivers one must install guest OS features, which is an addon
Oracle VM is well situated in a scenario where one wants to evaluate an operating system before buying it. It is a great way to use other software without necessarily installing them to the host machine, and also very useful in events where the users computer has minimal resources such as little memory
Read Benard Mutua's full review

Virtual machine automated provisioning (30)
Management console (36)
Live virtual machine backup (28)
Live virtual machine migration (25)
Hypervisor-level security (23)

About Oracle VM VirtualBox

Oracle VM VIrtualBox is Oracle's cross-platform virtualization offering, acquired with Sun Microsystems in early 2010. The software was originally developed by Innotek GmbH.