Overall Satisfaction with Matillion
Matillion for Snowflake is used by our Data Engineering team for developing data flows for extracting and transforming data into our Snowflake data lake. The data lake is available to the entire organization for analysis and decision support. We needed an ETL tool for batch processing for replacement of Airflow.
- Ease of use.
- Suitable for developers from junior to senior.
- Connects to a variety of data sources and platforms.
- Matillion has many tools available for transforming data.
- Does not integrate easily into the source code control system.
- The small instance needs more concurrent user connections. Two is too few, and moving to the next instance size does not make sense in our development environment.
- Matillion for Snowflake does not have a Dynamo DB connector.
- The development to production flow for Matillion is straightforward.
Most engineers do not have any issues developing flows. I would not recommend using this tool to develop ETL jobs for our business users and analysts.
We used the trial period for a proof of concept. Soon after that, we developed packages and moved them to production.
Matillion is great for scheduled batch processing, but not so great for stream processing.