Overall Satisfaction with Mesos
Mesos is being used by some departments and will be used by the whole development and operations team soon. It will be used to improve our pipeline, providing an easy way to deploy containers across our data center. We're using Mesosphere Marathon as a framework to schedule and deploy web applications.
- Mesos may have many frameworks. If you have Mesos installed on your servers, you may use it for many kinds of tasks. Today we're running only web applications but the idea is to install a different framework for big data soon.
- There is a good community growing around it.
- The community is good but they are not focusing on web apps deployment. I would like to see the community around Marathon growing.
- I would like to have a better support for rkt as a Mesos executor
- It's optimizing our resources.
- It's improving our process. This argument is not just for Mesos, but we needed a tool like this to start changing and it works like a charm.
- It's open source.
Kubernetes is really great and their community is growing really fast (Google influence). We evaluated it in the beginning and it would fit for our web applications workload. We decided to proceed with Mesos because it has more potential. You may use a different framework for different kinds of tasks on Mesos. There is a Kubernetes framework for Mesos, by the way.
Mesos is really great when you have a big datacenter with many different applications and use cases. It will help you to optimize the resource usage, being a centralized API for your infrastructure. It will not suit well for small companies that just need to deploy a web app. In this case, I would recommend something smaller.