Atypical use case - excellent system
February 04, 2016
Atypical use case - excellent system
Score 8 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with MindTouch
Mindtouch is being used for two purposes. We have essentially built a wall between two important groups - users see different branding and configuration based on which side the the wall their username is attached when they log in. One side is a collaborative learning space for schools going through an improvement process. Each school team has a space to share documents and work through a multi-step process together. These work spaces are secure and available only to users on those school teams. The other side of the wall is our internal staff community. This is a space where staff members can store and access internal documents and resources that are critical for our organization to operate (fiscal forms, HR resources, etc). Different departments have designated users who create and maintain content - based on group roles so there is no accidental editing in another department's space. Mindtouch gave us a platform that solved two very different problems - collaborative work space for external groups and secure intranet space for staff. It's user friendly, so our diverse users are generally able to jump in and begin work with minimal assistance.
- The onboarding process was extremely detailed and helpful. It didn't fit our needs completely because we are an atypical use-case, so they were willing to be very flexible with us and provide assistance as we onboarded in our unique way.
- The system itself is pretty flexible, and we were able to configure one platform into two very different work spaces. There is a lot of functionality that you can add, or you can strip it down a bit to keep things very simple. It provides a lot of use-case options.
- The control of users is really granular and works very well for us. We are able to group users easily and be very specific about who has access to what pages, what kind of access, etc. In our case, there are no "community users" because we are completely private - so every use is a "pro user" and their ability to manage that is very easy.
- I would love to see them improve on the ability to manage attachments. Adding and linking attachments is fantastic - but in our case, we need the ability to run a report to see where duplicates may exist and then remove them. As a staff intranet space, you will always get helpful people adding duplicate items. It's really a people problem - but I wish the system was more equipped to help me address it.
- We are not using this as an externally facing platform - so we don't have any ROI information to share. We are unique in that situation - none of our process was with ROI or sales cycles in mind.
Our use-case was pretty unique. We were not able to find anything that would fit the parameters in a traditional way. We like MindTouch because of it's flexibility, and the fact that the team was extremely flexible with us in terms of pricing and support. We are an educational organization and they were very happy to accommodate our specific needs. Other companies immediately disengaged when they learned about our contractual and fiscal limitations - they were willing to look at the contract verbiage and meet us in the middle.
In my experience, this is a pretty flexible platform, so I think it can be used in a number of atypical ways. I think it is really built to serve as a knowledge base, but we've come up with two very different use-cases and been very happy with that. I think the key is really planning ahead of time and talking with the onboarding team about specific functions.