MongoDB Atlas Review
March 18, 2019
MongoDB Atlas Review
Score 8 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with MongoDB Atlas
MongoDB Atlas provides a simple means of deploying and managing MongoDB deployments in a variety of cloud services (AWS, Google, and Azure). MongoDB Atlas includes a generous free tier for test purposes (512MB instances with low compute resources). Atlas provides a simple means of managing what can be difficult-to-deploy-and-manage software when working directly on top of a PaaS vendor like AWS.
- Generous free and trial plan for evaluation or test purposes.
- New versions of MongoDB are able to be deployed with Atlas as soon as they're released—deploying recent versions to other services can be difficult or risky.
- As the key supporters of the open source MongoDB project, the service runs in a highly optimized and performant manner, making it much easier than having to do the work internally.
- As an independent entity, MongoDB Atlas is not included in existing subscriptions from AWS or Azure, requiring an additional support plan and reliance on a third party.
- Because of the numerous Atlas deployment choices, it is very cost-effective to scale your instances to only the required sizes, lowering long term costs.
- Removes a role that was traditionally left to individual companies when trying to deploy and manage MongoDB, which has been amongst its least attractive factors; MongoDB's Atlas implementation is rock-solid, well supported, and backed by SLAs to ensure high availability.
When choosing a NoSQL, open source database, MongoDB is the clear winner from an implementation standpoint. For databases that are better suited for highly-organized data, a traditional database engine like MySQL, PostgreSQL, or Oracle's RDBMS may be a better choice. When the requirement is for a NoSQL production database, MongoDB and Atlas are the clear winners from an implementation and management perspective and is very cost-competitive with offerings from Azure Cosmos and Amazon Document DB.
MongoDB Atlas is the clear number one choice when deploying the NoSQL MongoDB engine to a PaaS vendor, and when the ability to use an additional cloud vendor is a possibility. By having the same people designing and working on the MongoDB engine perform the hosting work, Atlas shines as an incredibly performant and scalable cloud-based NoSQL solution.