In our organization MS SharePoint is used as a content and document management tool. It is used through whole organization. It addresses the business needs of storing and sharing the documents and managing security and access. Also SharePoint is used as a social tool, however there are plans to acquire specialized software.
- SharePoint can be used as informational portal.
- SharePoint provides ability to categorize information.
- Allows personalization of the view.
- SharePoint manages access and security.
- Complex administration.
- Object model is complex and poor documented.
- SharePoint improved the process of sharing documents
- SharePoint improved communication between different departments
- SharePoint alleviated the burden on Outlook
SharePoint is tightly incorporated into different business processes in our organization.
During selection process you should focus on exact set of the features, that you need. There are several editions of SharePoint available. Those editions are priced differently. Maybe you can acquire the edition, which is less expensive and customize it to your particular needs using code and object model.