Overall Satisfaction with Patriot Software
I use Patriot for my owner salary payroll. I love that it is very flexible to adjust my salary as I need to and that it does all of the tax filings and payments for me!
- Payroll for small businesses - easy and cheap!
- Great customer service - easy to access at any time.
- Decent reports.
- Their timecard system is a little cumbersome, particularly for paid time off/vacation/holiday.
- No employee scheduling tool.
- Really best for very small businesses, larger ones with lots of complicated payroll facets should seek other tools.
- I am better able to help S corp owners with their whole picture, calculating reasonable compensation and then helping them to run it through payroll properly.
- It is so affordable that it is easy to use to get people compliant when necessary.
- It has taught me a lot about how the payroll process works so I can better talk to the extent to which it is a pain.
QuickBooks Online Payroll is literally the devil. They make things unclear, very difficult to tell what has been filed and what has been missed, hard to adjust owner salary whenever you want. I hate it! Gusto is more robust than Patriot and so for bigger companies with more going on, I am referring people to Gusto, but it's also a lot more expensive. Intuit Payroll is just archaic.
This is the cheapest, most user-friendly tool for very small businesses, think less than 10 employees, or even smaller honestly. It is not going to help you schedule hourly employees or easily track PTO, holiday pay, etc. But it is excellent for one-person S corps as it is very easy to adjust salary any time you need to! In the two years that I have used it, I feel it has continued to improve in function and customer support.