QuickBooks Online Reviews

TrustRadius Top Rated for 2019

Drew West | TrustRadius Reviewer
Quickbooks Online (QBO) is essential to our business because it provides a combination of functionalities that no other software service packages together for a small business of our size. Our small business ships products across the US. We collect and remit sales tax to 43 different state jurisdictions, so in addition to handling our accounting, bookkeeping, tax preparation, issuing our 1099s and giving our CPA access to our books. Quickbooks Online also serves the critical function of calculating the sales tax due with each package we ship. When I create an invoice for our customer through QBO, I enter the 'Ship From' and 'Ship To' addresses, and the software automatically calculates the amount of sales tax that we need to collect and adds it to the invoice total before I send it to our customer. In case you don't know, every state has different sales tax requirements and depending on where you are shipping. You may need to collect sales tax at the state, county, and city level jurisdictions. But QuickBooks does all the calculations for you and is accurate more than 99% of the time. And when it comes time to file our sales tax returns to each state, QuickBooks Online has helpful reports to show the amount due for each jurisdiction.
  • QuickBooks Online is the total package for small businesses that need comprehensive accounting software support at an affordable price. There are other options for medium-to-large size businesses, like NetSuite, but their subscription costs are much higher. In contrast, QuickBooks Online offers functionality that will serve most small businesses for a fraction of the cost.
  • In the small-business accounting software category, other companies offer competing products. Still, after doing my own research and reading reviews from other users, I found that QuickBooks Online is regarded as the most robust and feature-rich in terms of all of the accounting needs and reporting functionality that your business might need.
  • QuickBooks Online has a great feature called Receipt Capture, which allows you to snap a photo of your receipt and automatically upload it into the system for your approval. The software tries to auto-fill the appropriate information like merchant name, transaction date, transaction amount, and account category. The auto-fill suggestions aren't 100% accurate, but the functionality is helpful and is improving with time.
  • I have requested a callback from QuickBooks Online customer support numerous times in my two years as a customer, and the callback is usually within 5 minutes. The support is generally beneficial and able to resolve the issue. If your question or problem is easier to address by the representative looking at your session with you, there is functionality built right into QuickBooks Online that allows you to screen share your session with the representative so you can walk through the issues together. It is beneficial, and I appreciate this feature.
  • As of February 2020, QuickBooks Online advertises that you can e-file your state sales tax returns directly through QuickBooks Online. This functionality has never been available to me, and I manually fill out and submit my returns directly through each state's online portal. I don't believe this functionality is available for most QuickBooks Online users, despite advertisements indicating that it is.
  • As of February 2020, the following QuickBooks Online subscription levels: Simple Start, Essentials, and Plus, do not allow users to bulk upload or import multiple invoices at once. These tiers only will enable you to create one invoice at a time. The highest subscription level, QuickBooks Online Advanced, does allow users to import multiple invoices at once using Excel import, but the price is much higher. For users who can't afford the subscription price of QuickBooks Online Advanced but need the functionality of bulk uploading invoices, there is a software service called Transaction Importer Pro that does a good job, and the price is $20/month.
  • Every once in awhile, I find a page in QuickBooks Online that doesn't allow a user to sort, filter, or display the information the way I think would be most useful. Even after submitting feedback using the online feedback tool, I haven't received any response to my communication about these small changes. These are minor issues, but they don't dampen my enthusiasm for all of the other wonderful functionality that QuickBooks Online enables.
Quickbooks Online is a well-priced solution for most small businesses to solve their accounting and bookkeeping needs. It is the industry leader for software services in this space, and it's also the service that most professional accountants and CPAs use, which makes it even more useful because you can grant them access to your account. They can make changes to your books if necessary while preparing your tax return. Quickbooks Online also offers professional payroll services and full-service bookkeeping, which would be useful for businesses that want to handle all of their financial needs in the same software system. (Disclosure: I have not used QBO payroll services or full-service bookkeeping, so I can't attest to the experience, but I imagine that Intuit guarantees exceptional quality and service around these products).
Read Drew West's full review
Joel McAfee | TrustRadius Reviewer
My organization utilizes Quickbooks Online to unify all of our accounting processes including payroll, bookkeeping, bank reconciliations, tax payments, etc... into a cloud based browser or app interface - accessible anywhere. It allows me the freedom to leave the computer at home update my books, add bills, pay taxes, and simplify payroll at any time or any place.
  • One of my favorite things Quickbooks Online does well is automation of Payroll. I never have to worry if taxes are calculated correctly or print checks - it's all automated and direct deposited. Normally i'd have to pay an accountant to keep up with this or calculate myself - but this is far more efficient.
  • Quickbooks Online as opposed to the older software model allows you the conveniences and confidence of a secure bookkeeping software along with the modernization of cloud based access.
  • Automated tax payment calculations and reminders help me make sure I'm never late for payments, which if you've ever been late on an income tax payment - you don't want that to happen.
  • The feature-set of QBO is so broad that it's sometimes hard to know how to get behind the veil of the simplistic interface and to really put it to use. It would be great to have some built in, hands on training for small business owners who are accounting novices.
  • I have had issues at times where the OS X software doesn't want to load the Quickbooks Online account, which a restart usually fixes - but that's a bit annoying. The browser version usually works pretty flawlessly.
  • Some of the end of year tax systems are built into QBO as third party plug ins (like for 1099 filing i.e.) - which is a bit odd. I'd almost rather integrate them then white label rather than having it take me to some third party website or design layout within the same window. Minor improvement but it does feel a bit clunky.
Quickbooks Online is super well suited for small business owners who are on the go and need access to their bookkeeping across multiple devices. You can leave the desktop and carry your books in your pocket for billing, invoicing, expensing, payroll any time, anywhere. I know there are time tracking plugins as well as other integrations that allow for your staff to submit reports directly to the software which is a brilliant addition.
Read Joel McAfee's full review
Don Fowler | TrustRadius Reviewer
QBO is used for IT billing across our organization. QBO has recently, in the last 12 months increased the monthly most of it's subscriptions from $32 per month to $50 per month, and we were informed it's increasing to $70 per month effective March 1, 2020. What's most significant QBO hasn't added any new features and explains the increase is needed for future products and development.
  • Streamlined billing.
  • Easy-to-use navigation.
  • Expensive and over priced.
  • Unable to contact customer support.
With QuickBooks Online you cannot export your data to even QuickBooks Desktop versions. However, you can import from Desktop versions to QuickBooks Online. They hold your data hostage, with no way to export it. The rising costs have upset many small business owners, including us. We basically have to start all over with a new program. QuickBooks doesn't have any justification for these huge increases other than profit. They are not adding any new features in exchange for the large increases.
Read Don Fowler's full review
Amanda Layman | TrustRadius Reviewer
I'm using it to manage all financial aspects of my small business. Both my accountant and I use it. We use it for client invoicing, bookkeeping, sales analysis and projections, and managing recurring contracts.
  • Ease of use/gamification.
  • Syncing with bank accounts and PayPal.
  • Some menu items are tricky to find/not as intuitive as I'd like.
  • My accountant has mentioned that QB sometimes makes changes to its service agreements/pricing that can be a pain for her when managing her accounting business.
I've only ever used QuickBooks Online to manage a small business with a handful of clients, but I can imagine it being useful for mass-market companies too with all of its automation and capabilities. It's really great at detecting and categorizing my business expenses, and its recurring invoice feature is great for my long-term client contracts.
Read Amanda Layman's full review
Warren Marland | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are a geographically diverse company dealing with distribution of retail goods to both online channels and stores. We needed a book keeping solution that was not overly complex but more importantly, could run in the cloud and be accessed 24/7 from anywhere. We also needed a system that would be able to pull transactions in from Amazon, Walmart, eBay etc., to automate bookkeeping as much as possible and also to tie in with our bank account at Citibank.
  • 24/7 access in the cloud to our books from geographically diverse locations and timezones
  • Relatively simple interface for non finance people who need to deal with invoicing or entry of bills
  • Relatively low cost solution
  • Compared to the full desktop version, there is still a great deal of functionality missing. In particular sales orders and greater levels of report and invoice customization.
  • There is a desktop app that can be downloaded but it doesn't really do much to provide better access than directly through the browser. It could be developed to provide better offline access or at least storage of some regularly used data.
  • Unfortunately, there just isn't much out there that answers all the needs and QBO is more of a 'better the devil you know' solution than one that I would actively advocate.
QuickBooks Online (QBO) does 70% of what you need really well, 15% not so well and 15% not at all. Its stock management is lacking, in particular where bundles/kits are used. The more complex your requirements, the more difficult it will be to fit them into QBO's more limited functionality. There are hosted QB Pro/Desktops which may be more suitable.
Read Warren Marland's full review
Samarah Sardoni | TrustRadius Reviewer
QuickBooks Online is used by three main users at my agency including the project manager (for fixed bid and hourly invoicing), office manager (for reimbursements, hard costs, and payroll), and partners (for viewing statements and upcoming charges). Having multiple users helps divvy up the responsibilities while also keeping everyone accountable and ethical.
  • QuickBooks Online allows me to create "delayed charges" which helps forecast income as well as guarantee that invoicing is not forgotten.
  • QuickBooks Online has several shortcuts to get to where I need to go faster. For example, jumping directly to a client or invoice number.
  • My favorite feature on QuickBooks Online is that I am able to plan ahead for project invoicing and create custom reports that fit my exact needs.
  • Whenever I set up a new invoice or delayed charge and adjust the due date, it uses that same due date for my next invoice. It can get very confusing if I'm not extremely attentive while I am adding in delayed charges.
  • When I create a delayed charge, I add in a "memo" line, but when I create an invoice based on that delayed charge, that memo line does not transfer over.
  • After I've created a line item in an invoice, if I change the "category" or "department" it clears out all other details and forces me to start over.
With several different people viewing our invoices and delayed charges, it is so nice to have it all in one place where we can call reference the same invoice number and work together a lot easier. It also allows special access to different roles. For example, someone in charge of sending invoices could not go in and receive payment for an invoice. This helps keep the company honest.
Read Samarah Sardoni's full review
Ely Khoury | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use QuickBooks Online for merchant payments and accounting at my company. Quickbooks Online has saved me a ton of time in not having to manually to accounting/bookkeeping, and keeps things organized per category. Customer service is very good and usually helps me solve any problems that arise. I would recommend.
  • Accounting
  • Book keeping
  • Project management
  • Allowing multiple contacts per project
Quickbooks Online is well suited for a small/medium-sized organization that may not have the resources for a full accounting department. It's a lean SaaS that allows business managers to focus on Sales, Marketing, and other initiatives that are crucial to the continuity of the company. It's not appropriate for organizations that are 50+ employees.
Read Ely Khoury's full review
Brian Welch | TrustRadius Reviewer
Right now, we use Quickbooks Online for Invoicing and expense tracking. As a small company, it allows me to act as the bookkeeper and accountant even though I don't have an accounting background. It also keeps track of the sales tax I need to collect for the state and keep track of who is behind on paying invoices.
  • Invoicing - I can create products and services as well as enter line items "free-form" for a more specialized service.
  • Sales tax calculation - NJ has changed the sales tax rate 3 times since I went into business. Changing the tax rate is easy, and the calculations Quickbooks does keeps it on track.
  • Expense Tracking - You can create rules to make it easier to track expenses.
  • Announcing changes- The last major changes had me thrown off because I didn't have a preview or transition period.
  • Support - Too much of support can get shrugged over to an accountant, who then tells me it's a Quickbooks issue.
Free-form invoicing is why I started with Quickbooks, it does invoicing well. I can setup specific services/products to charge the same across the board or modify the price on the invoice itself. Expense tracking is another great tool, as long as you use it correctly. The software can be as general or granular as you need. You can group things into one broad service type (such as Software as a Service) or break down to specifics (such as Backup or Hosted Email) depending on what you need to track.
Read Brian Welch's full review
Tammy Roberts | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use QBO as a professional accounting firm, for our own company, and for our client's bookkeeping. Being in the cloud makes it possible for us to have clients all over the county and not limited to a particular area. We are more efficient by using QBO and we can assign anyone to any client no matter where their location. This helps our outreach and increases our profitability.
  • Syncing banking transactions makes it really easy to know when the accounts are current.
  • Accepting payments directly through invoicing is a great time saver.
  • I know who has done what tasks through the audit trail.
  • Interactive reports/hyperlinks provide personal customization for the user and provides many places to change or correct data easily.
  • Accepting pre-payments is a hassle and would love to have a way to not have to re-touch invoices in the undeposited funds account due to date incompatibly.
  • Finding matches for transactions on a more intuitive level would be helpful.
  • Providing short videos on simple tasks as quick links within the current screen would be awesome.
I use ADP Payroll for my clients and like the integration of the general ledger directly into QBO. It usually finds the match perfectly however if you run two payroll frequencies on the same pay date then QBO has a hard time "adding" the data together which makes it a more manual process.
Read Tammy Roberts's full review
Luke Fuller | TrustRadius Reviewer
QuickBooks Online is used by our book keeper and accountant. It helps us keep track of our expenses and run detailed reports to evaluate the health of our business.
  • Easy to use.
  • Great dashboard.
  • Always ensure main owner is the Master Administration. This eliminates any problems obtaining your data from a book keeper.
Great for analysis of your business. It helps produce quality reports.
Read Luke Fuller's full review
Christopher Cantrall | TrustRadius Reviewer
QuickBooks Online is our primary bookkeeping platform and our primary platform for invoicing and tracking our business financials. The only users at our organization are myself and the other owner. We both log in daily to stay on top of money going out and coming in and get a general sense of outstanding invoices and other related items.
  • Large list of features. There is a lot of functionality packed into QuickBooks Online. It can fill the role of multiple other tools.
  • Being the industry standard. Need an app to interface with QuickBooks Online? It will. Need to connect an accountant? They all know how to use it.
  • Constant innovation. New features get added constantly and improved constantly.
  • Sluggish platform. The interface itself is slick, but slower than it needs to be. A lot of time is wasted waiting for loading.
  • Service unavailability. At times certain parts of the QuickBooks Online platform go down. It's more frequent than it should be.
QuickBooks Online is the industry standard. It does a whole lot of things and works with a whole lot of other tools. If you bring in someone new, chances are that they're familiar with it. It's a good fit in almost any role it has a tool for, and competing products often lack the same maturity of features, or you'd need to use 5 different tools in place of QuickBooks Online.
Read Christopher Cantrall's full review
Susan Hammiche | TrustRadius Reviewer
Quickbooks Online is used by our company as a financial tool to keep track of all the money going in and coming out. It helps control costs, create budgets, review reports, create and send invoices, process payroll, pay bills, and many more functions. It shows our company where we stand financially with our projects to make sure we don't lose money in the process.
  • Provides an overview of financial standings in various reports.
  • Easy to use and access.
  • Print checks to pay bills.
  • Reduce cost by being able to do payroll ourselves.
  • It has a monthly cost to maintain.
  • No job costing or large inventory management.
  • Direct deposit to vendors not available.
Quickbooks Online is suited well for small businesses who want to control their financials. Work from home businesses, small LLCs and partnerships can easily use the system to track their money to make sure they are profitable. It is easy to access from anywhere as no installation is needed. Any service-based business can use Quickbooks Online. It is less suitable for product-based businesses who carry a large inventory and send out complex invoices.
Read Susan Hammiche's full review
Meiyee Apple Tam | TrustRadius Reviewer
It is only used in accounting and bookkeeping, with some timekeeping for hourly employees. So just basically one department uses it. It is our only software to really keep track of our expenses, spending, billing, and money in and money out.
  • Track billing.
  • Create reports.
  • Categorize expenses.
  • Track payments.
  • Timekeeping is not as specific.
  • It doesn't talk to our program, an in-house intranet called ArchiOffice.
  • Is not meant for our specific industry, which is architecture, so we have to use another program, ArchiOffice.
  • Project management is lacking.
If you need to be able to track your expenses and billing, QuickBooks online is good.
Read Meiyee Apple Tam's full review
Jason Daniel | TrustRadius Reviewer
It was used by two or three users in our office. We used it for invoicing, tracking payments, and creating checks for payroll. We also used it to track credit card transactions and categorize our purchases.
  • Syncing financial data
  • Tracking invoices
  • Tracking and sorting credit card transactions
  • Creating checks was buggy sometimes
Quickbooks Online is a great option if you are going to have a few users that need access to track and edit your financial data easily.
Read Jason Daniel's full review
Ayo Bamgbose, Assoc CIPD, MSc | TrustRadius Reviewer
Quickbooks Online is one of those web-based accounting tools that, as a new business, you initially don't think you need until you start using it. Prior to understanding the importance of keeping records of expenses that my business incurred, I was using an Excel spreadsheet. I use to dread having to do my monthly and quarterly accounts as it was just so time-consuming and frustrating. Quickbooks literally gave me my time and sanity back.
  • Ability to import and export reports that you will need to help you do your self-assessment annual taxes.
  • Connect your bank accounts and set it to recognize different types of expense and total up your business profits.
  • The ability to take photos of your invoices and receipts and stores them for you.
  • Draft invoices that I'm then able to send to my clients.
  • The app is very limited in what it can really do when trying to manage your accounts on the go.
  • The connection with my bank accounts keeps getting disconnected and I'm constantly having to reconnect them which is time-consuming and annoying.
  • There's a learning curve with using QuickBooks Online if you've never used accounting software. I had to watch a lot of video tutorials online.
Although I have a few annoyances with QuickBooks, I would still recommend it to any solopreneur or small business starting out. If you plan on doing your own accounting or simply lack the funds to pay for an accountant, I recommend learning how to set it up and use the features that help your business look more professional. For example, drafting invoices that you can customize to suit your business. I wouldn't recommend QuickBooks Online for those that need more customized, robust features for payroll and reporting.
Read Ayo Bamgbose, Assoc CIPD, MSc's full review
JEFFREY HAZLITT | TrustRadius Reviewer
Our organization uses Quickbooks Online to track and reconcile credit card charges, debit card charges, and checks written. The dashboard quickly shows us our expenses, income, and profit to date - as well as the ability to quickly compare it to previous years. Last but certainly not least we are able to give our accountant in another state login credentials and she can file our taxes easily.
  • Connects to banking for daily updates.
  • Shows profit and loss at a glance.
  • It is sometimes hard to find the functions that I need.
  • At times it could be more user-friendly.
Quickbooks Online is well suited to track and reconcile credit card charges, debit card charges, and checks written, show expenses, income, and profit to date and the ability to quickly compare it to previous years. It can be used to file taxes as well as sales and use tax. It seems like it would be equally useful for a smaller business like ours and a much larger business as we only use a fraction of the functions it can provide.
Read JEFFREY HAZLITT's full review
QuickBooks Online (QBO) is currently being used in our firm to deploy and implement cloud accounting systems for our clients. Traditionally small businesses had their accounting data housed on one desktop computer or at a central location such as a server. This made it difficult for small businesses with multiple users to have access to the most current updated version of their data. With QBO, everyone can have access to the same data, work can be completed simultaneously, and information can be accessed in real-time.
  • Cloud based accounting provides users with anytime access that allows work to be completed faster. Gone are the days of having to be at the office or use remote access software to use the QuickBooks file when away from the office.
  • Robust tools for importing client data whether it is from desktop versions of QuickBooks or other software vendors
  • Growing resources of add-on apps in the Intuit apps marketplace. Allows users to add additional systems (CRM, inventory, ecommerce)
  • New UI (Harmony Edition) is a bit confusing for some users to get used to. Navigation is not very intuitive and many users have to search for things that were easy to find in prior versions.
  • Bank feeds could be better. Some of the transactions that come in from the bank do not import the correct information need to correctly code transactions, thus taking time to research.
  • Advanced features (job costing, inventory, multiple currencies) are not available in the basic version and users must purchase the Plus version or purchase add-ons
  • The reporting in not as robust in QBO versus the desktop product.
  • The software is "walled" in that it does not integrate with non-Intuit tax and accounting products, practice management, workflow management, or portal solutions (unless add-ons)
QuickBooks Online (QBO) is a great product for those small businesses that are just starting out or have very simple bookkeeping needs. Small business owners interested in this product will definitely want to research their overall small business needs to ensure that they can maintain cost savings when they factor in the costs of additional add-ons, payroll, and other systems.
We use QuickBooks Online for our financials and to support our annual tax filings. QuickBooks Online allows us to access our data from anywhere and share our data in real-time with our accounting support. QuickBooks Online also keeps our data from previous years centrally and allows us not to have to worry about transition when we replace our computers.
  • QuickBooks Online is able to handle all variety of transactions we need as a professional services firm.
  • QuickBooks Online makes sharing our information with our accounting support team very easy and seamless.
  • QuickBooks Online has a lot of capability, which at times can be confusing for simpler businesses.
  • QuickBooks Online needs to build integration with Professional Employer Organizations.
QuickBooks Online works very well as a cloud solution where you have multiple people that need access, including a separate or outside accounting support team. QuickBooks Online keeps data from previous years an eliminates conversion required from standalone products during software upgrades or computer replacements. QuickBooks Online has all the capabilities needed to support a professional services firm.
My whole organization uses QuickBooks. It makes daily bookkeeping tasks very simple and allows me to streamline quarterly billing processes for my clients. It also creates a secure way for me to share information with my bookkeeper and provides immediate access to reports such as P&L, Balance Sheet, Overdue Invoices, etc.
  • Streamline quarterly billing. By creating a recurring sales receipt that goes out to my clients, it saves me time each quarter by not having to manually push them through.
  • The secure portal (attachments) enables me to quickly upload monthly credit card and bank account statements to my bookkeeper for reconciliation purposes.
  • Mobile access seems confusing at times due to a slightly different interface on the mobile app compared to the online version.
  • ACH and credit card process fees, while norm for the industry, seem like they should be reduced given the overall size of the QuickBooks organization.
QuickBooks is great for a small business looking for an efficient bookkeeping platform. I push through about 50 recurring invoices each quarter and it provides an easy way to automatically generate those and update them, if needed. It also makes it easy to receive ACH payments if I choose to do so. I do not think it would be a great platform for a large organization that requires advanced bookkeeping and/or accounting.
It is only used to monitor one user's finances. Three accounting staff members are doing input, reconciliations, and generating reports. It is simple and easy to use for day to day business transactions from uploading and matching bank transactions to generating recurring entries. It enables us to work anywhere as long as there's internet.
  • Supports bank transactions upload
  • Simple and straightforward interface, very user-friendly.
  • It is a little expensive
  • Could use better customer support
It is easier to learn and use than QuickBooks Pro. For people who don't want a steep learning curve when you are transitioning from another accounting platform, it is relatively easy to learn and the mobility is worth the upgrade from QuickBooks Desktop. It is fits personal and small business finance needs.
We use QuickBooks Online in my department mainly as a way to keep track of departmental spending and/or other expenses. It is a convenient way to organize and help visualize where we, as a department, spend the most money. It is definitely helpful for larger invoices. I would say the biggest drawback is that some functions are not always the most intuitive to figure out.
  • Good for Invoices.
  • Cloud based means easy access.
  • Overall number of features makes this system effective for most businesses.
  • Occasionally, features are not intuitive.
  • It can be expensive.
  • Customer service wait times can be very long.
We use this a lot for estimating costs of any upgrade the department might need but you can not do more than one at a time. We use the contact management section for different personnel and this feature is well developed. But mostly we use it to tracking the overall expenses in the department.
Quickbooks Online was used for our customers who wanted a smoother cloud-based experience where we were able to manage and review their financials in real-time. Quickbooks online allowed us to be more hands-on and provide support quicker than our Quickbooks desktop clients, even those using remote servers. The ease of access was a huge benefit of QBO. We suggested QBO to all clients who we thought could benefit from it, taking into consideration the size of their business and needs.
  • Cloud-Based Accounting
  • Simple and Straightforward UI
  • Quick Response Time
  • Cleaning up outdated reports is time-consuming
  • Exporting Reports to Excel/PDF has been troublesome a fair number of times
  • Audit log could be more transparent
Quickbooks online is great for smaller businesses who have multiple users logging in from different sources. Quickbooks Online was much easier to use than Quickbooks Desktop for a remote server. I would say QBO is less appropriate for businesses of a larger scale, or if the accounting is more complex with payroll, more-detailed accounting software may be stronger.
We are using QuickBooks Online to track income and expenses for a small counseling private practice. It is being used only by a few individuals that are responsible for tracking the financial information. It is mainly used as a system to make tax season easier when filling out a Sch C. However, it also has been useful for managing cash flow and profitability on a monthly basis.
  • The user interface is relatively easy to follow. Because it is such a popular system, there is a copious amount of free training information out there to use.
  • Being able to access the accounting software from anywhere on any device is a huge plus.
  • For what you get with Quickbooks Online, it really is quite affordable.
  • Since the software is on the 'cloud' connecting to the server can take a little more time than I'd like. This is simply a side-effect of having a bad internet connection depending on where I'm at and not necessarily a defect of the software. If the software was just installed on my computer, this wouldn't be an issue.
  • The system is perfect for an individual that is not well versed in accounting systems. Can feel restrictive at times if you're familiar with other accounting software application. The user experience is certainly geared toward a novice user.
I would certainly recommend this product to someone just starting a company. It is the best option out there. It is mainly going to be useful when it comes time to file your taxes. I wouldn't recommend this to a large company that has more complicated needs and requirements out of an accounting system.
December 13, 2019

Automatic Accounting!

We use QuickBooks Online to keep accounting for sales, organize expenses, payments, etc. QuickBooks keeps everything organized and easy reporting to see where the cash is going. It is used throughout the whole organization. We're a small company and it helps keep track of everyone.
  • Organization.
  • Reporting.
  • Lot tracking.
  • Barcode automation.
If you're running a business, taking orders, completing and tracking order expenses, and collecting money for POs - this is for you.
Jennifer Walschap | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Quickbooks Online for our entire organization. We have around 120 clients, and Quickbooks helps us keep their accounts up-to-date and accurate. We really like the payments feature, and that it automatically logs the payment when someone pays online via their invoice. I feel that having this feature helps us get more payments on time, as well as saves us some time and effort.
  • The user interface is clean and things are easy to find. This saves us time from having to look for things we need. If we can't find something, the Help and Search features are easy to use.
  • There is a bar graph at the top of my Customers page that shows a breakdown of overdue invoices, open invoices, and those that have been paid in the last 30 days. This is nice because I can see all this information quickly when I need it.
  • We can customize invoices as much as we need to and it is very user-friendly. We can email individual invoices or in bulk to save time. We can send invoice reminders and statements in a flash as well. All of these things help us get paid on time.
  • I've had a hard time linking Quickbooks with my bank account and then categorizing my income/expenses. I'm not sure why, but I wish there was someone who could help with this.
  • I wish that I could make the emailed invoices come from my own email address so they have less of a chance of going to clients' spam inboxes.
  • It's a little annoying that they really try to push the Online version versus the software version. I asked a sales rep on the online chat about it once and he really tried to discourage me, saying that they don't offer ANY support if you have the software. I suppose they make more money with online subscriptions.
Quickbooks Online is great for small/medium-sized businesses with a large client base. If you only have a few clients, you may not need something this complex. Quickbooks Online has many features to help your business, including accounting for tax purposes, and payroll features if needed. It can definitely suit a wide range of business sizes and models. There is a lot of customization available, so it can get the job done for many types of businesses. If you are the sole employee of your business and have less than 10 clients, you might try something like Paypal for invoicing and accounting to save money. Quickbooks does a better job though when you have many clients, we have around 120. If you have employees and need to print them checks, Quickbooks is great. We have around 25 employees and print checks every month. It is very easy to go back and find a check that was printed if needed.
Read Jennifer Walschap's full review

Pay calculation (42)
Benefit plan administration (19)
Direct deposit files (37)
Salary revision and increment management (27)
Reimbursement management (27)
API for custom integration (28)
Plug-ins (30)
Single sign-on capability (41)
Role-based user permissions (50)
Dashboards (65)
Bank reconciliation (71)
Expense management (62)
Time tracking (30)
5.6
Fixed asset management (29)
6.5
Multi-currency support (10)
4.1
Multi-division support (25)
Regulations compliance (19)
6.5
Electronic tax filing (28)
Self-service portal (28)
Global Financial Support (4)
Primary and Secondary Ledgers (9)
Intercompany Accounting (12)
Localizations (7)
Journals and Reconciliations (28)
Enterprise Accounting (9)
Configurable Accounting (13)
Centralized Rules Framework (7)
Standardized Processes (16)
Manufacturing module (8)
3.2
Pricing (27)
Order entry (26)
Credit card processing (31)
Cost of goods sold (33)
Order Orchestration (5)
End-to-end order visibility (6)
Order exception Resolution (5)

About QuickBooks Online

QuickBooks Online is a SaaS verison of the QuickBooks product. It contains all of the features found in the local version, features typical of similarly priced accounting software. The monthly fee for this service starts at $10 and climbs to $30 with the Plus version, which has the richest features. The base level allows for unlimited invoices and estimates, expense tracking, importing from Excel or Quickbooks desktop, data backup, mobile accessibility, and integration with many other applications. The Essentials pricing plan contain more automation, more bill and payment management, as well as inventory and time tracking, and the Plus package contains budgeting and analytic features.

QuickBooks Online Integrations