QuickBooks Online is a SaaS verison of the QuickBooks product. The monthly fee for this service starts at $13 and can be upgraded to include payroll services, and inventory management (implementing Intuit's acquisition, the Lettuce Inventory Management app, as a built-in component of QuickBooks Online's Plus edition).https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/ll/4h/S54FMB1DKTXJ.JPEGQuickbooks is definitely quick, easy, and gets the job done! Affordable!We use Quickbooks Online for our entire organization. We have around 120 clients, and Quickbooks helps us keep their accounts up-to-date and accurate. We really like the payments feature, and that it automatically logs the payment when someone pays online via their invoice. I feel that having this feature helps us get more payments on time, as well as saves us some time and effort.,The user interface is clean and things are easy to find. This saves us time from having to look for things we need. If we can't find something, the Help and Search features are easy to use. There is a bar graph at the top of my Customers page that shows a breakdown of overdue invoices, open invoices, and those that have been paid in the last 30 days. This is nice because I can see all this information quickly when I need it. We can customize invoices as much as we need to and it is very user-friendly. We can email individual invoices or in bulk to save time. We can send invoice reminders and statements in a flash as well. All of these things help us get paid on time.,I've had a hard time linking Quickbooks with my bank account and then categorizing my income/expenses. I'm not sure why, but I wish there was someone who could help with this. I wish that I could make the emailed invoices come from my own email address so they have less of a chance of going to clients' spam inboxes. It's a little annoying that they really try to push the Online version versus the software version. I asked a sales rep on the online chat about it once and he really tried to discourage me, saying that they don't offer ANY support if you have the software. I suppose they make more money with online subscriptions.,9,Quickbooks Online has greatly helped us get more payments in on time by being able to invoice easily and collect card payments online. People can't use the "I forgot my checkbook" excuse. It has helped us stay organized, which is important when dealing with people's money. If there is a dispute, we can easily look up the client's account in our records and settle it. It has helped us pay employees on time and easily, while also keeping a record of every payment we have made to our employees and vendors.,PayPal Payments, PayPal Here and QuickBooks Pro,AppointmentPlus, Google Drive, Google FormsQuickBooks Online: A Non-Profit Executive Director's PerspectiveWe are using QuickBooks Online to manage our expenses and fundraising efforts across our entire non-profit organization. Previously we used simple spreadsheets to organize our financial data, but the QuickBooks functionality and ability to connect directly to our bank account was going to save us tons of time per month so we decided to switch to the online version. We also looked into the desktop version, but the bank connection functionality was greatly underdeveloped, so we decided that the online version would fit our organization the best even though it is not specific for non-profit organizations.,Bank Connection - it's so nice to be able to pull expenses and deposits directly from our bank account into QuickBooks for categorization, this was the primary reason we chose the online version. Categorization of Expenses - easy to categorize expenses and assign them to a certain vendor (same for sales and customers). Reporting - Statement of Activity, Financial Position and Revenue by Customer are the most used reports.,Non-profit functionality for fundraising - I have to categorize accounts receivable as sales, and instead of being able to show collection of the sale and put the funds into our fundraising (income) account upon collection, I have to delete the sale and recategorize the expense as a fundraising Reports could be more clearly labeled so I could find what I need better (e.g. being able to pull how much I paid a contractor by name). Reconciliation of errors between bank and QuickBooks accounts - I make mistakes, I need to know there's an easy way to reset the account to zero our minor errors, but have not yet found the means to do so.,9,QuickBooks Online has saved us tons of time each month categorizing expenses and income, allowing us to focus on more important tasks at hand. It was also a huge savior for compiling our next year's budget and projections. It took a long time to set up QuickBooks Online and the desktop version when we did a trial of that product. Product support is not great while setting up QuickBooks, especially when we had a lot of problems with our account.,QuickBooks Premier and Accounting by Wave,Asana, AirtableQBO - Good for basic double entry book keeping but don't expect bells and whistlesWe are a geographically diverse company dealing with distribution of retail goods to both online channels and stores. We needed a book keeping solution that was not overly complex but more importantly, could run in the cloud and be accessed 24/7 from anywhere. We also needed a system that would be able to pull transactions in from Amazon, Walmart, eBay etc., to automate bookkeeping as much as possible and also to tie in with our bank account at Citibank.,24/7 access in the cloud to our books from geographically diverse locations and timezones Relatively simple interface for non finance people who need to deal with invoicing or entry of bills Relatively low cost solution,Compared to the full desktop version, there is still a great deal of functionality missing. In particular sales orders and greater levels of report and invoice customization. There is a desktop app that can be downloaded but it doesn't really do much to provide better access than directly through the browser. It could be developed to provide better offline access or at least storage of some regularly used data. Unfortunately, there just isn't much out there that answers all the needs and QBO is more of a 'better the devil you know' solution than one that I would actively advocate.,7,As an online retailer and distributor of imported goods, QBO does not help me drill down to work out my profitability across different channels. For this, I end up back in Excel. QBO is a cost effective solution to basic double entry book keeping.,Xero, Zoho Books, Accounting by WaveQuickBooks Online is all you need!We are a small office and only I and our outside accountant use QuickBooks Online. It has allowed me to work on our finances remotely.,I like to create my own reports and can quickly access them and easily change them as needed. This is our second year of implementing our budget into the software; it is a great feature to add to my reports and helps to keep us on track. Recording expenses from our credit card is a great tool and saves me a lot of time.,The invoicing function lacks customization options. The software does not allow you to have multiple screens open at one time. Setting up the reoccurring payments feature is difficult.,8,The software allows you to compare previous years' results. It also allows our accountant to work simultaneously with us online. QuickBooks has tons of options and integrations; is intuitive, and provides the tools necessary for keeping track of our business. I enjoy the fact that I can easily access the financial information I need from any computer with a web browser, and it integrates with basically everything in our business.,QuickBooks Pro,Expensify, Dropbox, Constant ContactSuper systemI have used QuickBooks Online to track income and expenses as well as run reports to share with the officers making the budget decisions. The reporting feature is pretty user friendly. The “powers that be” appreciate how quickly I can turn around any requests for reports.,QuickBooks is pretty user friendly. QuickBooks has a great reporting tool. QuickBooks is intuitive, so you don’t need to be an expert to use it successfully.,The first time I used QuickBooks, I had difficulty navigating the system but it didn’t take long to get the hang of it. Customer service is lacking. Prices are raised too frequently.,7,QuickBooks is a great time saver with so many things being automated. The reports provide valuable information for budgeting decision makers. The automatic categorizing of expenses helps in making informed decisions.,,1,,Tracking Reporting,6,No,Product Usability Analyst Reports
QuickBooks Online

QuickBooks Online Reviews<a href='https://www.trustradius.com/static/about-trustradius-scoring' target='_blank' rel='nofollow'>Customer Verified: Read more.</a>

QuickBooks Online
Top Rated Award
Filter 584 vetted QuickBooks Online reviews and ratings
Jennifer Walschap profile photo
December 08, 2018

QuickBooks Online Review: "Quickbooks is definitely quick, easy, and gets the job done! Affordable!"

• The user interface is clean and things are easy to find. This saves us time from having to look for things we need. If we can't find something, the Help and Search features are easy to use.
  • There is a bar graph at the top of my Customers page that shows a breakdown of overdue invoices, open invoices, and those that have been paid in the last 30 days. This is nice because I can see all this information quickly when I need it.
  • We can customize invoices as much as we need to and it is very user-friendly. We can email individual invoices or in bulk to save time. We can send invoice reminders and statements in a flash as well. All of these things help us get paid on time.
  • I've had a hard time linking Quickbooks with my bank account and then categorizing my income/expenses. I'm not sure why, but I wish there was someone who could help with this.
  • I wish that I could make the emailed invoices come from my own email address so they have less of a chance of going to clients' spam inboxes.
  • It's a little annoying that they really try to push the Online version versus the software version. I asked a sales rep on the online chat about it once and he really tried to discourage me, saying that they don't offer ANY support if you have the software. I suppose they make more money with online subscriptions.
Quickbooks Online is great for small/medium-sized businesses with a large client base. If you only have a few clients, you may not need something this complex. Quickbooks Online has many features to help your business, including accounting for tax purposes, and payroll features if needed. It can definitely suit a wide range of business sizes and models. There is a lot of customization available, so it can get the job done for many types of businesses. If you are the sole employee of your business and have less than 10 clients, you might try something like Paypal for invoicing and accounting to save money. Quickbooks does a better job though when you have many clients, we have around 120. If you have employees and need to print them checks, Quickbooks is great. We have around 25 employees and print checks every month. It is very easy to go back and find a check that was printed if needed.
Read Jennifer Walschap's full review
Dylan DeClerck profile photo
November 30, 2018

Review: "QuickBooks Online: A Non-Profit Executive Director's Perspective"

• Bank Connection - it's so nice to be able to pull expenses and deposits directly from our bank account into QuickBooks for categorization, this was the primary reason we chose the online version.
  • Categorization of Expenses - easy to categorize expenses and assign them to a certain vendor (same for sales and customers).
  • Reporting - Statement of Activity, Financial Position and Revenue by Customer are the most used reports.
  • Non-profit functionality for fundraising - I have to categorize accounts receivable as sales, and instead of being able to show collection of the sale and put the funds into our fundraising (income) account upon collection, I have to delete the sale and recategorize the expense as a fundraising
  • Reports could be more clearly labeled so I could find what I need better (e.g. being able to pull how much I paid a contractor by name).
  • Reconciliation of errors between bank and QuickBooks accounts - I make mistakes, I need to know there's an easy way to reset the account to zero our minor errors, but have not yet found the means to do so.
Small businesses or medium-sized companies could definitely use QuickBooks Online, especially if they are not currently using any accounting software or are transitioning from a free or low-cost product alternative. I would also recommend the online version for non-profits if they can go in with the knowledge that they'll have to categorize income more similarly to a for-profit organization.
Read Dylan DeClerck's full review
Warren Marland profile photo
December 09, 2018

QuickBooks Online Review: "QBO - Good for basic double entry book keeping but don't expect bells and whistles"

• 24/7 access in the cloud to our books from geographically diverse locations and timezones
  • Relatively simple interface for non finance people who need to deal with invoicing or entry of bills
  • Relatively low cost solution
  • Compared to the full desktop version, there is still a great deal of functionality missing. In particular sales orders and greater levels of report and invoice customization.
  • There is a desktop app that can be downloaded but it doesn't really do much to provide better access than directly through the browser. It could be developed to provide better offline access or at least storage of some regularly used data.
  • Unfortunately, there just isn't much out there that answers all the needs and QBO is more of a 'better the devil you know' solution than one that I would actively advocate.
QuickBooks Online (QBO) does 70% of what you need really well, 15% not so well and 15% not at all. Its stock management is lacking, in particular where bundles/kits are used. The more complex your requirements, the more difficult it will be to fit them into QBO's more limited functionality. There are hosted QB Pro/Desktops which may be more suitable.
Read Warren Marland's full review
Gayle Potter, IOM profile photo
December 09, 2018

User Review: "QuickBooks Online is all you need!"

• I like to create my own reports and can quickly access them and easily change them as needed.
  • This is our second year of implementing our budget into the software; it is a great feature to add to my reports and helps to keep us on track.
  • Recording expenses from our credit card is a great tool and saves me a lot of time.
  • The invoicing function lacks customization options.
  • The software does not allow you to have multiple screens open at one time.
  • Setting up the reoccurring payments feature is difficult.
The software allows data importation from integrated applications like PayPal, American Express and Square. Functionality is limited on mobile devices.
Read Gayle Potter, IOM's full review
Sandy Breihan Sinclair profile photo
December 08, 2018

QuickBooks Online Review: "Super system"

• QuickBooks is pretty user friendly.
  • QuickBooks has a great reporting tool.
  • QuickBooks is intuitive, so you don’t need to be an expert to use it successfully.
  • The first time I used QuickBooks, I had difficulty navigating the system but it didn’t take long to get the hang of it.
  • Customer service is lacking.
  • Prices are raised too frequently.
QuickBooks Online is good for smaller businesses as well as for personal finance. I’m not sure how it would be with a large Fortune 500 company.
Read Sandy Breihan Sinclair's full review
Meredith Turcotte profile photo
December 07, 2018

QuickBooks Online Review: "Good for small business working closely with bookkeeper or accountant online"

We use QuickBooks Online when our bookkeeping customers need a solution that allows access from anywhere and/or by multiple people.
  • Easy to access from any computer. As long as you can check your email for the verification code, you can access your QuickBooks Online file from any computer.
  • Download activity from your bank or credit card account. QuickBooks Online makes it easy to download the activity from most banks and major credit cards and to review and post that activity to the books.
  • Statement reconciliations. The reconciliation function makes it easy to do bank reconciliations or reconcile credit card statements. You can edit from the reconciliation screen, or easily click to edit a transaction if needed.
  • Customizing reports. The Customize screen is clunky. For instance, it is harder than it should be to show a Debit and Credit columns instead of just an Amount. It takes several clicks and dragging.
  • The payroll module is awkward and rigid. There is almost no option for customization or correction. The reports are terrible and almost impossible to convert for use in excel format. Any correction or alteration involves a call to customer service when it should just be a simple fix (as it is in the desktop version of QuickBooks payroll). I avoid using QuickBooks Online payroll if at all possible.
  • Preparing 1099. Working in the Forms 1099 wizard is no good. You cannot easily go back once you click on a link. The filters reset and you have to start over. You cannot scroll or sort by amount, you have to page through sometimes dozens of screens to review the items.
Well suited for a company with straightforward books and very simple, or outsourced, payroll. Good if you want several people to be able to access from different locations.
Read Meredith Turcotte's full review
Jeremy Kiner profile photo
December 11, 2018

QuickBooks Online Review: "QBO is #1... for now."

We use QuickBooks Online for our all of our organization’s billing, daily accounting, and tax preparation.
  • The convenience of it being web-based allows me access regardless of location.
  • It also affords me the opportunity to use an app on my phone when I’m on the go.
  • The application itself is pretty clean and fairly easy to use.
  • The price. It’s too expensive.
It is a great product for managing your financials, however, it can be cost-prohibitive for a new business that can’t afford the high monthly fee.
Read Jeremy Kiner's full review
Luke Fuller profile photo
December 10, 2018

User Review: "I would recommend QuickBooks Online."

QuickBooks Online is used by our book keeper and accountant. It helps us keep track of our expenses and run detailed reports to evaluate the health of our business.
  • Easy to use.
  • Great dashboard.
  • Always ensure main owner is the Master Administration. This eliminates any problems obtaining your data from a book keeper.
Great for analysis of your business. It helps produce quality reports.
Read Luke Fuller's full review
December 10, 2018

Review: "We went from spreadsheets to QuickBooks Online and it has transformed our company."

We are a small company, so only two of us have access to QuickBooks Online. The way we use it: My Director of Operations is in charge of Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable and Cash Flow. We use QuickBooks Online integration with Bill.com for our Accounts Payable. For Cash Flow we use the QuickBooks Online integration with Float.

I use QuickBooks Online to generate P&L reports and reconcile all of our bank accounts and credit cards.
  • Integrations with different services, such as Bill.com and Float.
  • Our P&L is really clean now. We transitioned from Cash to Accrual in 2017 and QBO has helped tremendously.
  • Customizing invoices using a template was something we took advantage of, since our old customers were used to an existing format.
  • The user management has been broken at times. I had a support ticket out for nearly a year before my issue was resolved.
  • They've increased the price recently and I wasn't expecting it. Although, it's still a value for us.
  • The Mac app has been unstable in the past. Fortunately you can still use the website in the rare case that the desktop app fails to load.
If you need a high level and detailed view of your finances QuickBooks Online does a great job. It excels at the details, where you can create your own custom "product" lists and then run reports against them. But you can also zoom out a bit and see the overall profit and loss.
December 10, 2018

QuickBooks Online Review: "Excellent Basic Accounting Platform"

QuickBooks Online is used throughout the organization. It covers all basic accounting needs for small and mid-sized businesses and nonprofits. It enables us to produce invoices, receive payments, pay vendors, and more all from the program. There are good security features to enable tiered access for various staff and departments.

• Recent fixes to glitches
  • Chart of accounts is relatively easy to set up and manage
  • Invoicing is super easy to use
  • Inventory feature is not user-friendly
  • Fund accounting can be clunky
  • Custom reports are not intuitive
Quickbooks Online is an excellent option for small or medium sized businesses with basic accounting needs. The payroll and accounts payable features are relatively easy to use. It's not as streamlined and easy to use as some of the newer software but is generally easy to use for most basic tasks.

For nonprofits, it could build out its functionality. It also is not the best for very complex organizations who need multiple dimensions such as project and region.
December 07, 2018

QuickBooks Online Review: "Great Accounting System for Small Businesses and Organizations"

Most of my clients are using QuickBooks Online companywide. There are not many dimensions available they can use, such as location, segment, department, project and so on.
  • Easy to use whether accountant or non-accountant, except setup and adjustments.
  • Simple processes on banking (cash transaction match) and bank/account reconciliations.
  • Great dashboard where you can see an overview of financial performance at a high level simultaneously instead of running individual reports.
  • As I mentioned earlier, we sometimes need to have more than one account dimension like 'Class' to record transactions for companies/clients who have complicated organization structures or/and business lines.
  • Payroll services are not really very comprehensive.
QuickBooks Online is a good fit for small/medium size businesses and nonprofits and self-employed, not for corporations due to complex payroll and taxes.
December 07, 2018

User Review: "Quickbooks Online is on point"

It is used by the local organization as a whole. It solves the issues of workers working remotely and still having access.
  • Invoicing
  • Reminder emails for outstanding invoices
  • Setting up pledges was simple
  • The overall organization. Something's are organized in a manner that's not immediately obvious
  • Report names and items should be consistent with the desktop versions as well for ease of use from those transitioning
Very well suited for a small business especially one that has offices spread out or employees working remotely.
June 28, 2018

QuickBooks Online Review: "QuickBooks is a quick option for your accounting"

QuickBooks online helped us to organize our monthly expenses and income helping us to create profit loss reporting. This software has helped us to keep accurate and up-to-date reporting for our monthly board meetings. This has increased our accountability and improved communication within the organization. A company that knows where and how its money is being spent is going to be more successful.
  • The reporting options are great with virtually any combination of information you might want!
  • Online access is a huge advantage for companies that need multiple users to access the product.
  • QuickBooks has been a consistent name in the accounting software world which makes it very reliable.
  • The pre-populated reports are great, however, when you want to customize your options, the process is not very user-friendly.
  • There is not a built-in way to check for duplicate records so you may have multiple records for one client as spelling is different or something like that.
  • The desktop version still has far more features. It would be nice for some of these to be implemented online.
QuickBooks is a great option for medium to large sized businesses and nonprofits. However, if it is a smaller company, the price may be a hindrance as it can get costly.
Cathy Denson profile photo
June 11, 2018

QuickBooks Online Review: "Online is so easy to access and stay up to date"

QuickBooks Online allows me to keep up with all my bookkeeping. We use the check register to enter all checks and merge with our online banking for quick entry.
  • The online banking is very helpful with balancing my accounts. I like the merging of entries.
  • The categories help me budget and plan my income and expense workflow.
  • The merge of credit cards into our account is helpful in tracking.
  • It is sometimes time intensive to label each transaction.
  • I like that it merges the online account into my ledger, but the repeat entries don't always categorize as I like.
  • Great for setting budgets and tracking.
  • Great for seeing the overall picture of your business at any point of time.
  • Great for comparing year to year and month to month.
Read Cathy Denson's full review
Marc Charette profile photo
December 28, 2017

QuickBooks Online Review: "Zoho Books is zoNo to me"

I've just installed it and in the process of moving my accounting to this platform as it would seem far better value and less likely to frustrate me with poor support from other suppliers. The core of any application is its ability to not get in the way of your work but rather, to let you get back to doing what you're in business to do in the first place.
  • Simple set up
  • Good integration with third-party apps
  • Sales and support team seem to be very well trained and dedicated to truly helping you make the right choices for your business
  • Currently no direct importing from Zoho Books. I'd recommend they do this as Zoho is likely to lose as many customers as they get if they continue to offer such inconsistent support
If you really don't have a complex business (and maybe even if you do) the price is just simply better for what you get.
Read Marc Charette's full review
June 06, 2018

QuickBooks Online Review: "Quickbooks - Possibly the Best Business Organizer Around"

Quickbooks is currently being used in my business daily. We use it for consolidating our bank accounts and running profit/loss reports in the company as well as sending out invoices to vendors. We use quickbooks in our accounting department primarily. It solves many organization issues we were previously having in the business.
  • Ease-of-use. The software is very user-friendly and simple to figure out.
  • Accessibility. Quickbooks online can be accessed anywhere in the world where there is internet.
  • Options. Quickbooks online has several options to customize your experience. More than most will ever need or use!
  • The customer service is limited and is pretty "salesy". They re-direct you to emails and online forums for help
  • Some of the apps that "sync" with quickbooks are not very good. There are often glitches between the two applications.
Quickbooks is suited for any business. Literally, any time you need to track profit, loss, write-offs, deductions ect. I have not found a better software to use. If you don't have a need to stay organized or would rather save a few dollars and use an excel sheet to track your finances, that may be a better option for you.
January 17, 2018

User Review: "QuickBooks Online Pros and Cons"

The majority of our monthly accounting clients are on QuickBooks Online (QBO). It addresses the problem of having to wait for clients to provide bank/credit card statements at the end of a month or quarter before we can begin moving forward with the monthly closing process. It also allows for great collaboration with the clients so that a lot of double work is eliminated. By integrating with other apps available on the QuickBooks Online App Store, it is possible to achieve a great deal of automation with things like sales transaction entry.
  • Sync with online banking and credit card accounts
  • Integration with third-party apps
  • Data is always backed up
  • Data is available anywhere there is an internet connection
  • Inventory tracking for clients with huge turnover, backorders (there are third-party app integrations that work on a smaller level, but we had to go to QuickBooks Enterprise Hosted for one of our large retail clients because of the more robust inventory reporting features).
  • Pricing continues to go up over time.
  • While great for the average business owner, there are a few features that are built-in to virtually all professional accounting systems that I believe they should make available at least in the Accountant version of QBO (things like closing distributions into retained earnings when closing an S Corp's books for the year).
Almost all scenarios are appropriate for QBO. As stated previously, the only time I see a disadvantage is for clients who require extremely robust inventory tracking and order processing features, in which case a "heavy" version of QuickBooks Desktop would be better. Xero is also a strong competitor, but I think the fact that Intuit has a stronger foothold in the US makes it a good choice.
February 16, 2018

QuickBooks Online Review: "QuickBooks"

Pros.

QuickBooks is being used to import all kinds of accounts in our firm, from AAA to IRA accounts.

There is great support from third parties that makes it more simple to use and communicate the accounting records, especially with the transactions.

Cons.

When you are trying to import accounts from an outside account, it does take a very long time to load. It will sometimes time out and you do have to re import your accounts, I have had the accounts pull through but then my transactions would not match, or sometimes they would not be there at all.

• QuickBooks is easily managed and easy to use.
  • QuickBooks is a simple layout design, easy to use and understand.
  • QuickBooks is a wonderful software.
  • Importing documents, sometimes it will not import the transactions correctly.
  • I believe they should have a online chat with a tech, the call times are outrageous to reach a live person.
  • When you call for assistance the call will get routed to another department and they will end up transferring your call again and again to reach the department.
  • Sometimes the hold is over a hour trying to reach the right department.
With QuickBooks, it is a simple design easy to manage. With some clients it is almost too simple, I suppose. Most of them do not know how to import their documents.

Sometimes the documents that are imported do not update as they should or, shall I say, update enough. It will not pull in all the information and you will likely have to do a manual update.
Benjamin Jaboeuf profile photo
August 01, 2017

QuickBooks Online Review: "Good experience overall!"

QBs online is used mostly by the bookkeeper, CPA, CFO and CEO. The multiple access to QBs online allows excellent collaboration between all the stakeholders.
  • Information is updated instantaneously.
  • The reports like P&L, collections, and AR aging are very useful on a day-to-day basis.
  • Neat to share info with investors and the board.
  • Billing: lack of automation, it's still very manual.
  • Payment gateway: it exists but it's very limited (no storage of CC or ACH for automatic payment online).
  • Payment recognition is very inefficient.
  • SaaS KPI are missing (MRR, Churn, LTV, CAC, ARPA, etc.)! I'm actually thinking of using other providers to solve these issues (like Zuora, Stripes, Kissmetrics, etc.)
Good to manage foreign currencies. Not the best to manage multiple companies, mother and sub (interco agreement). The different components are not integrated.
Read Benjamin Jaboeuf's full review
Dave Vandenberg profile photo
November 02, 2017

QuickBooks Online Review: "Great Accounting Software for SMB Retailers!"

We use QuickBooks Online (QBO) to manage our financials, including invoicing customers and collect payments. We integrate it with our store management system. Our tax accountant uses QBO reports to pay taxes. We also use Intuit payroll to manage our employee payroll. This addresses all of our financial reporting needs. We use it across our entire organization.
  • Makes it easy to create invoices and send to customers.
  • We can batch send invoices to save time.
  • We use the auto-billing feature to automatically create invoices for recurring billing.
  • QBO goes offline too often.
  • The sales tax center is difficult to use.
  • I would like more flexibility to remove the QBO branding from emailed invoices and alerts. Intuit does not allow you to remove the QBO branding.
QBO is great for small and mid-sized business. Very well organized and easy to use. We have relatively basic needs (invoicing customers, tracking expenses and filing sales and income taxes) and QBO fits our needs like a glove. It is not suited for businesses that do not have a solid internet connection.
Read Dave Vandenberg's full review
August 21, 2017

Review: "QuickBooks Online is NOT a comparable product to QuickBooks desktop versions. KNOW the limitations before you switch."

I am the only operations/finance professional in a small non-profit who has been using QuickBooks desktop for many many years. I’m an ex-IT professional who transitioned into non-profit operations back then, converting the books for this organization from paper/Excel to QuickBooks Premier for non-profits all those years back. We had been pretty happy with it, for the most part.

One downside for us is we are a Mac shop, so I have to run QuickBooks inside a Parallels virtual machine on my Mac (since the Mac version of QuickBooks lacks some critical functionality). This isn’t really the IDEAL solution, resource-wise, so I decided to look into QuickBooks Online. We also liked the idea of sharing a single accounting instance with our accountants and not having to spend money to bring our books into alignment every year at tax time.
  • Convenience is its strongest feature, being web-based, and being able to share your company financial data directly with your accountant real-time.
  • Really simple sales, invoicing, financial transaction reporting, for single-location businesses, or businesses that do not budget on multiple levels/locations/programs/projects.
  • Integration with banks to download/reconcile transactions on the spot is a good feature, using the direct connection feature.
  • Sales people seem to be VERY poorly trained as it relates to the differences between QB desktop and QB online. These differences need to be CLEARLY iterated, so that people transitioning know what they gain/lose, need to change/do differently, or most importantly, can no longer do at all.
  • The sales rep failed to mention that our budget would not transition from desktop to online. This was a minor 1-time inconvenience, though a bit time-consuming to re-enter.
  • The sales rep failed to mention that we would lose all of our custom saved reports. This was a bigger deal for several reasons. First, the time involved in re-creating them all. But the far bigger issue is the fact that QB online (and the associated app) is INCAPABLE, IN ANY WAY, of printing a report that is more than 1 page wide. I spent an hour on the phone with a tech support rep who bent over backward in every conceivable way to deny this was a design flaw/bug. She refused to admit that there is a problem with a software package that can PRODUCE lots of reports that are more than 1 page wide, but is incapable of printing said report. Her solution, export it to Excel, then spend the extra time going through a lot of re-formatting to get it to print with proper headers and footers, proper column headings and row labels, EVERY SINGLE TIME I need to print a report. So, what went from being a 1-click process, is now a 15 minute process, for 40 reports printed each month for management, and quarterly for board meetings. That’s a HUGE commitment to do something manually that used to be done with 1 click. That IS a design flaw/bug, but god forbid someone admit that.
  • The sales rep failed to mention that while QB online does support classes and sub-classes, it doesn’t work the same way that it does in QB desktop (this would be a critical piece of information to disclose in the pre-sale conversation to a potential customer has asked MANY questions about classes/sub-classes. QB online treats all classes and sub-classes in a FLAT manner (i.e. – they APPEAR to be hierarchical parent/child items, but the logic which made this such a great feature in QB desktop isn’t there, so they simply LOOK hierarchical, but are in fact FLAT). Why is this a problem, you ask? Well, we go back to reporting. In QB desktop, if I wanted a report showing activity for a specific sub-class, I could request that. If I wanted a report on a parent-level class, that would include all sub-class activity broken out under that parent-level class, I simply ran the report on the parent-level class. Simple. One-click, done. Not so with QB online. I can run a report on a sub-class just fine. But if I want a report at the parent-level class, I have to manually select the parent-class, and individually select every single sub-class as well. If your business is like ours, and your sub-classes are fairly dynamic, you can’t just save customized reports to do this, because you have to manually go back in to the filters and select new classes every single time you run the report. It’s maddening, and another huge waste of time, going from a 1-click process to a many-click, time-consuming process. Why would you take a hierarchical class list process and flatten it without telling people? Yes, SEEING it as hierarchical is nice, but far less important than logically PROCESSING it as parent-child.
  • Oh, did I mention you can’t search your data by dollar amount any more? How does that make sense?
Simple, small businesses, or businesses that don't budget with locations/programs/projects, etc... would be able to best use QuickBooks Online.
August 29, 2017

QuickBooks Online Review: "Business Owner Insight"

My mother has a bookkeeping practice and I help her with inputting the bank info and doing writeups for her clients. QuickBooks Online is very efficient and is very intuitive. It is very useful for small businesses to help track their expenditure and we like the ability and flexibility of not having to commute to clients but having them FedEx the info to us.
  • We are able to share the work from multiple locations.
  • As a small business owner you cant beat the price.
  • Most important it is user friendly and most people can navigate through it and don't require extensive training.
  • Please add better visualization i.e. charts , graphs etc.
  • Users should have the ability to select a different versions of Financial statements, P&L etc.
  • I would look into enhancing the speed of the overall transactional component.
I like the cost of it and for the most part it works great in respect to the data entry side, but when I have to export Financial Statements and recreate in Excel templates it's frustrating.
December 21, 2016

QuickBooks Online Review: "STAY AWAY FROM QBO - TOO TIME CONSUMING FOR DATA INPUT"

BIG ZERO:
I bought QBO in July 2016 for payroll, billing and paying taxes. The setup is unbelievably difficult, which resulted in QBO personnel deleting with a hard reset all of the data that I put in. I was on the phone with them for about 50 hours (no kidding) just to input data for the first 2 quarters. It took so long that our account was not ready until after the end of the 3rd quarter. I would HIGHLY recommend using another company. It was such a FUBAR with their technicians that I was at wits' end. Also, you cannot undo any banking data that is put into their system. None. No corrections. NADA. I am using QBO only for payroll, taxes and billing and the billing statements are not set up for professional legal services. It is really for sale of inventory to others. If you are a professional firm, stay away from QBO. Unfortunately, I spent way too much time with them on the phone and ended up staying with them because of the time invested with them. Ugh!!! Buy another product.

• After set up, its payroll is easy to process. Be careful after payroll set up because they may lock you out of processing payroll for simply, regular payroll amounts if you exceed their default direct deposit limits. It took two hours to fix that problem and there was no warning ahead of time.
  • It is set up for keeping track of inventory sales. Invoices and billing statements don't look very professional.
  • QBO could improve by allowing linking bank accounts to be unlinked. You can't unlink it once it is linked.
  • Their technicians are not very familiar with their payroll product. They always put you on hold to ask someone else how to fix the problem.
  • Rather time consuming for initial setup because QBO won't accept direct data import from earlier desktop versions. Very frustrating here on this point.
Dawn M. Smith, CPA profile photo
December 23, 2015

"QuickBooks Online Review by Seattle Public Accounting, PLLC"

I own a small CPA firm. I have one employee, a bookkeeper. We both use the product. For my firm, the product addresses the problem of collaborating with non-accountant clients.
  • QuickBooks Online allows the client and accountant to collaborate without passing files back and forth.
  • One of the best features is the ability to link the bank accounts and credit card accounts to the file. No manual downloading is necessary.
  • The payroll feature is very easy to use. The product gives payroll reminders and payroll tax reminders. The reminders are sent to both the client and the accountant.
  • QuickBooks Online has room for improvement in the inventory area.
  • QuickBooks Online is very expensive. Some of my clients choose to stay with the Desktop version due to the expense of moving to online.
  • QuickBooks Online could have more custom features for the estimates and invoices. The formats are somewhat limited.
QuickBooks Online is well suited for most small business applications, especially where there is no in-house accountant.
Read Dawn M. Smith, CPA's full review
Cathy Iconis, CPA profile photo
November 11, 2015

Review: "Why Iconis Group Loves QuickBooks Online"

We use QuickBooks Online to run our business' books. We track time, invoice clients, track expenses, manage our budget, and more. It keeps our financial position organized.
  • The bank feed allows for quick entry of expenses and other transactions.
  • The client menu includes a great money bar showing the progress of money into the business.
  • You can create as many budgets as you like and segment by class, customer, etc for better management reporting.
  • Sales tax and its reporting is limited on its functionality.
  • The new management reports still have some quirks to get ironed out.
  • I still don't recommend Intuit's payroll solutions and prefer third party applications.
QuickBooks Online works best for professional service based organizations. While it can handle inventory and job costing, there are still some limits as to what QuickBooks Online can handle. In these situations, I still prefer using QuickBooks Online over the desktop solution because of the flexibility of being in the cloud. I usually recommend considering a third party application that will compliment QuickBooks Online to fill any gaps.
Read Cathy Iconis, CPA's full review

Pay calculation (30)
Benefit plan administration (13)
Direct deposit files (27)
Salary revision and increment management (19)
6.6
Reimbursement management (19)
API for custom integration (22)
Plug-ins (21)
Single sign-on capability (31)
Role-based user permissions (35)
Dashboards (44)
Bank reconciliation (49)
Expense management (42)
Time tracking (21)
6.5
Fixed asset management (19)
Multi-currency support (9)
Multi-division support (21)
Regulations compliance (16)
Electronic tax filing (21)
Self-service portal (18)
Global Financial Support (3)
Primary and Secondary Ledgers (5)
Intercompany Accounting (7)
Localizations (5)
Journals and Reconciliations (13)
Enterprise Accounting (6)
Configurable Accounting (8)
Centralized Rules Framework (4)
Standardized Processes (6)
Inventory tracking (19)
Automatic reordering (8)
Location management (10)
Manufacturing module (7)
Pricing (21)
Order entry (20)
Credit card processing (23)
Cost of goods sold (24)
Order Orchestration (5)
End-to-end order visibility (5)
Order exception Resolution (4)
Branded client dashboards (12)
Client data roll-up capabilities (11)
Client data consolidation for benchmarking (10)
Configurable alerts (11)
Billing bypass (14)
Client template cloning (13)
Single sign-on (18)
Configurable client onboarding questions (9)
Cross-client workflow management (10)
Industry-specific versioning (11)
Legacy system data migration (13)

About QuickBooks Online

QuickBooks Online is a SaaS verison of the QuickBooks product. It contains all of the features found in the local version, features typical of similarly priced accounting software. The monthly fee for this service starts at $10 and climbs to $30 with the Plus version, which has the richest features. The base level allows for unlimited invoices and estimates, expense tracking, importing from Excel or Quickbooks desktop, data backup, mobile accessibility, and integration with many other applications. The Essentials pricing plan contain more automation, more bill and payment management, as well as inventory and time tracking, and the Plus package contains budgeting and analytic features.

QuickBooks Online Integrations