Products that are considered exceptional by their customers based on a variety of criteria win TrustRadius awards. Learn more about the types of TrustRadius awards to make the best purchase decision. More about TrustRadius Awards
- Direct deposit files (136)8.383%
- Pay calculation (134)8.181%
- Salary revision and increment management (115)7.777%
- Benefit plan administration (93)6.363%
Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Gusto, and make your voice heard!
Simple: A streamlined set of automatic payroll features and benefits integrations
$40/month + $6/mo per person
Plus: Comprehensive payroll, benefits, and HR tools for employers building a great place to work
$80/month + $12/mo per person
Premium: Scalable payroll and benefits, expert HR, and dedicated support for the complex needs of growing teams
Exclusive pricing, contact Gusto
Entry-level set up fee?
- No setup fee
- Free Trial
- Free/Freemium Version
- Premium Consulting / Integration Services
Starting price (does not include set up fee)
- $40 per month
- Tech Details
Gusto is an online people platform that aims to help small businesses take care of their teams. According to the vendor, their products and services help customers onboard, pay, insure, and engage their team in one integrated, easy-to-use platform used by over 200,000 modern employers. Gusto aims to make taking care of teams a joyful experience, while helping users manage their bottom line and stay compliant. Gusto promises that users will feel like a pro no matter how complicated the situation.
Full-service payroll - According to the vendor, Gusto makes running payroll easy. Gusto automatically calculates and files payroll taxes, help keeps companies compliant, and provides awesome support.
Benefits that work for any team and budget - Gusto aims to make offering employee benefits a reality for any small business. Whether an organization is buying health insurance for the first time or wants to integrate an existing plan with payroll, Gust can provide expert guidance. They'll help with add-ons like 401(k), life insurance, and commuter benefits, which the vendor says allows companies to create a competitive package that attracts and retains employees. The vendor promises their modern, intuitive software and team of licensed advisors helps customers navigate benefits with confidence.
- Supported: Pay calculation
- Supported: Payroll history for each employee
- Supported: Benefit plan administration
- Supported: Direct deposit files
- Supported: Payroll tracking and auditing
- Supported: Salary revision and increment management
Visit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNd0xp8sVWU to watch Gusto video.
|Deployment Types||Software as a Service (SaaS), Cloud, or Web-Based|
|Supported Countries||United States|
|Supported Languages||English, Spanish|
- track time off
- easily pay employees and contractors
- easily hire
- Not enough flexibility with pay periods. For monthly payrolls in WA state, I'm required to pay the 1st-24th of the month by the end of the month. To have payday be the last day of the month, the pay period sometimes ends on the 24th, sometimes the 25th, and February there is no option to be in compliance as it pays up to the 22nd only.
- When an employee maxes their IRA contribution for the year, Gusto stops making employer contributions even though the company is required to pay a % of total income for the year, not only during pay periods in which the employee contributes.
- Gusto was not including all reportable earnings to our state family medical leave program. This caused my employee to be denied benefits over her maternity leave. Thankfully she appealed their decision and after I provided payroll reports the PFML program identified the issue with Gusto's reporting and approved her payments. This all took several months though and Gusto still has not contacted my employee to apologize for their error despite me asking them to do so on a couple occasions (and it being the least they could do!)
- A few years ago I started the process of having Gusto administer our health insurance benefits. The process was a nightmare and I ultimately decided not to have them do it, however without my signature they had already started changing it over.
- Customer service is awful. It's almost not even worth sending an email since it takes months to get a reply and then they often don't address the problem but say "let us know if you need anything else" in which case you will wait another couple months for a reply if you even get one.
- Graphic Interface is very cute and pleasant to look at it.
- They make everything really simple.
- Super intuitive to use.
- The customer service is ridiculously slow.
- The customer service is not always helpful.
- The benefit administration is lacking in value.
- In my opinion, the support is terrible
- From my experience, sales people disappear as soon as you are sold
- Payroll and deductions
- Benefits Management
- New hire paperwork
- Employee birthday reminders
- Easy to navigate
- Visually pleasing layout
- Employee paycheck contributions to charities
- Keeping all of my payroll documents in one place for easy access
- Easy distribution of W-2s at year end
- The integration of two businesses in one profile could be streamlined a little better. While it's not difficult to navigate between the two on a computer, it is difficult to do so from the mobile capacity
- Reminding you on not just employee birthdays but employee work anniversaries would be really nice
- Prompting for an including pronouns for new hire staff in the welcome email to existing staff would be much appreciated
- Handles federal, state, and local tax withholdings
- Easy onboarding of contractors and W-2 employees
- Real-time access to paystubs and W-2s
- Intuitive, natively online platform
- Seamlessly integrated with QuickBooks Online
- Some items take too many clicks to get to, like paystubs
- I'd like to permanently skip some features I don't use, like sick time tracking
- At times, reminders can become redundant
- The self-service aspect of the software is very nice. We rarely need to get customer service involved.
- For the first 2 years of our subscription to Gusto, customer service has been good when we needed it.
- We have also had good experience with third parties recommended by Gusto including a 401(k) administrator, R&D tax credit analyst, and background check software.
- Gusto has frequently updated its software and moved things around. It is frustrating to constantly hunt for things when they are not where they used to be.
- Gusto just changed its subscription levels and though it remains to be seen exactly how this will affect us, it seems like the change is less service for more cost.
- Gusto will make deposits to our bank account for refunds of various taxes but does not give any detail regarding exactly why we are receiving the deposits.
- Manage and run payroll
- Pay contractors
- Provide employee benefits
- Complete and file tax/compliance documents
- Reporting is the weakest part of the platform and needs a lot of work, but it's serviceable as is.
- More benefit options would be nice, but it's good as is
- payroll reporting
- workers comp reporting
- employee sign-up
- payroll processing
- scaling back for just doing reporting
- payroll is quick and easy.
- Labor Dept reporting is automatic.
- Workers comp is easy.
- Turning off monthly payments if you want to pause payroll.
- Onboarding is super easy for me and my employees.
- Payroll is easy to enter.
- Customer service is very quick and friendly.
- Recently, they have let the ball drop a bit with submitting some state forms on time.
- Other than this recent issues with timely forms, they have been great!
Payroll was a breeze each week as Gusto took care of everything for you, including filing and paying the necessary taxes. When there was an issue during the onboarding process, Gusto was there to quickly remedy the problem.
- Easy Payroll Execution
- Worry-free Tax Filing
- A little difficult to integrate with QuickBooks
- Allow seasonal businesses to pause their accounts
- Payroll Processing.
- Customer Support.
- The website is occasionally slow, but this has improved over the last year plus that we've been using it
- Providing payroll reports.
- Connects to Turbo Tax for employee taxes.
- Easy to input hours.
- Multiple withdrawals for payroll, employee, and employer taxes.
- QuickBooks integration would be nice.
- It simplifies the payroll process so much, I cannot emphasize that enough.
- They post reminders for onboarding in the hiring process also which is nice.
- I have only used it a little over a year, so I have not identified any product gaps yet.
- Time Tracking
- Benefits Tracking
- GPS tracking for Time Tracking
- Entering in Time Off Requests
- PTO Tracking.
- Customer Support.
- Quickbooks Integration.
- Easy to use Payroll submission for employees.
- Paying all payroll taxes and forms.
- Easy to add new employees' info.
- Some reports are a little harder to find exactly what you need.
- Cannot easily adjust withholding taxes on specific payroll checks - need to contact support.
- Customer Interface
- Efficiency Processing Payroll
- Timely File Payroll Tax Payments
- All customer service functions are routed to people who cannot help
- No dedicated Account Manager
- 4 to 6 day response time to emails
- No direct contact to Customer Support
- For me it was virtually impossible to reach a live person to discuss issues.
- No last names, direct phone number, or phone extensions.
- Zero sense of urgency.
- Scheduled automatic payroll and deposits
- Easy to use employee portal
- Difficult to contact customer service. Website links go in a circle.
- Site glitches that suggest products/services no longer available (Covid leave benefits).
It helps keep all of the paid work and paid workers organized. It also helps keep track of birthdays and work anniversaries.
- PTO Tracking
- Maternity leave benefits execution/tracking.
- Contractor benefits.
- Login functionality.
- Easy for employees to upload their data
- Simple payroll input and running payroll
- Support Hours
- User interface
- Support knowledge and training
- Platform is fairly simple to use
- Poor customer service. Today's issue was Gusto not depositing our payroll due to a Gusto system error, which they admitted. They will not do anything to resolve the issue. When we submitted payroll on time 2 days ago, their online system said that payroll had been submitted successfully. It showed a detailed list of how much each employee would get paid, the direct deposit amounts, etc. Today, on payday, our employees did not get paid. I logged into Gusto and it said that payroll had not been submitted. I reached out to Gusto customer service, and their response was: "Thanks for letting me know! We are currently having a system error. I checked with our engineering team and they said that they are actively working on a resolution to fix this. Our engineering team advised me to tell you that clear your cache & cookies as well, they are already on this and will be fixed sooner." So then I asked them to help me expedite payroll to get our employees paid sooner than 2 days, which is their standard. They said that expedited payroll can be processed in 2 days and there is nothing they can do. I have gone around and around with them for almost 2 hours, and they keep saying there is nothing they can do. They caused the problem, they admitted that they caused the problem, and they are refusing to fix it. Not paying your employees on time is a REALLY big problem, and Gusto is responding like this is the level of urgency of getting a FedEx package a day late for a shirt I purchased online. I am completely baffled. This is the 2nd time that Gusto customer service has been completely unhelpful in resolving the issue - this time, some of our employees may not be able to pay their bills on time.
- Gusto bombards employers and employees with sales pitches for other non-payroll-related products.
- Process Payroll
- Onboard Employees
- Simple Interface
- Clear communications
- Tax Compliance issues take a long time to resolve
- Reporting is not as simple as I would like and I can't save modified reports
- Handles state/federal taxes for each user
- Handles direct deposit
- The website appears simple enough for users
- The Gusto website often times won't load the page you want and will load the wrong page multiple times before it will finally work
- Gusto won't allow anyone to manually input a clock out time in the future. It will only accept the current timestamp or a previous timestamp
- Gusto sends out multiple annoying emails