Overall Satisfaction with Pegasystems
Our Pegasystems implementation was being used by the payments and disputes operational groups at American Express. The primary use of the tool is as a case management tool to track payment issues for customers of American Express products. The tool provided the reporting, tracking and status updates as needed for the operational support employees to ensure payment issues were addressed and accounted in the various payment back ends.
- As a framework, the product provided rapid application development and implementation for the business. I could take programmers with any level of Java experience and they could be up and running fairly quickly. We were able to respond to business issues quickly and provide functional updates in a much quicker time frame.
- Support from Pegasystems was excellent, in my experience. They were quick to respond and knowledgeable in helping us get back on our feet during any issue.
- While the Pega community is small, it is passionate about the tool. I had the chance to attend the Pegaworld event in 2013, and was excited by the possibilities and quality of the user community.
- Performance was a constant issue for us, and we had to spend an immense amount of time in tuning our applications to meet the user's needs. DO NOT install this application in a separate data center than where the database is being housed. Because of the very heavy nature of the data driven elements (including content page assets), you must co-locate the application servers with the database servers. We learned this the hard way.
- While it was great for individual department team use, we found the applications did not run well in an enterprise environment. Again, I think it was due to the heavy data driven nature of the base architecture.
- At the time of use, the ability to secure someone with any kind of Pega experience was extremely difficult. This resulted in a need for highly paid consultants. We constantly invested money to train internal developers on the Pega products, only to quickly lose them to competitors. While our company's inability to retain talent was not a Pega specific issue, it is a watch out to management looking to use the tools. Ensure you have training in your budget and the necessary merit increases to retain the talent.
- At the time of my team's use, there was some concern with the financial viability of the company. I'm not sure that this is still an issue, but the product is very expensive. Therefore, a solid investigation into the financial status is necessary to ensure you are not investing in something with a high risk of changes to its support structure.
- Extremely faster time to market on application development.
- Negative impact on talent retention and training budgets for experienced Pega developers. Expect very expensive professional services and/or consultant support.
- Once talent is trained, efficiency is very positive. Both implementation and production fixes are made much quicker by using this tool.
Rapid application development for small to medium sized teams is ideal for its use. I would not recommend using the tool in a large scale enterprise environment. The heavy data driven nature of the tool resulted in many performance issues and the scalability of the applications written in the framework were limited. Also, experienced Pega people are very expensive and difficult to find. Ensure the build up of talent within the organization is taken care of, or they will leave.