User Review: "Pentaho for Quality Assurance"https://www.trustradius.com/business-intelligence-biPentahoUnspecified7.51001012016-02-24T18:35:53.754Z
Overall Satisfaction with Pentaho
At our organization we are building a data ware house for data migration and analytics. After researching several options we went for the Pentaho community edition which is an open source tool. Pentaho played big role in the implementation of ETL jobs and QA testing. The features available in Pentaho covered all of our scenarios, plus it allowed us to plug in external jars to use for any unsupported activity.
- Pentaho allows for migration from one system to another system without much trouble.
- Minimum code or almost no code expertise is required. Just get your SQL and Pentaho will do rest.
- It is difficult to verify millions of rows. But with Pentaho you can do that, this makes the QA task easier.
- Pentaho does make comparison of data between two systems fairly easier compared to other systems, but it lags in terms of output you get. The output has a merge difference option which will show a difference transaction only but if you have large data set columns it is not easy to find issues.
- Date formatting and number formatting is again an issue, both the systems should have the same datatype. It was difficult for us to compare as a new system had updated data types and pentaho failed to compare these.
Except SQL server all other db we are able to merge data easily, with SQL server to oracle we had some connectivity issues which can be overcome easily over the time.
As we used the Community edition we didn't have any access control capabilities. But sharing data and connections was fairly easy. By just sharing kettle properties you can get most of the settings. On security again, our edition was the Community edition so we didn't bother that much.
Pentaho Feature Ratings
Pixel Perfect reports
Report Formatting Templates
Report sharing and collaboration
Publish to Web
Publish to PDF
Report Delivery Scheduling
Pre-built visualization formats (heatmaps, scatter plots etc.)
Location Analytics / Geographic Visualization
Multi-User Support (named login)
Role-Based Security Model
Multiple Access Permission Levels (Create, Read, Delete)
Responsive Design for Web Access
Dedicated iOS Application
Dedicated Android Application
Dashboard / Report / Visualization Interactivity on Mobile