Not as sleek as Asana
Updated February 18, 2020

Not as sleek as Asana

Overall Satisfaction with Planview LeanKit

We use LeanKit across our entire organization. It helps us stay organized and understand what everyone is working on on a given day. It also helps us stay accountable since it is easy to see if someone does or does not have something to work on. It can also be used to assist our project manager since she can see who is in charge of what project.
  • Kanban style project management allows us to see projects in a "pipeline" view and understand what projects are finished and what projects are not finished.
  • Email notification feature is great if you are collaborating on a project with another person. Tagging can be used to notify a teammate that a step has been complete, for example.
  • Simple UI is not cluttered or overwhelming.
  • It would be nice to have a place to provide daily updates besides a comments section; perhaps a section that has a date and a status color (green/yellow/red).
  • UI is not very sleek or modern looking.
  • LeanKit has made it easier for new employees to understand other employees' roles in the company by seeing their workload.
  • It makes it clear who is responsible for what project so that there is more accountability at our company.
  • It helps our project manager schedule new projects in a way that we all can see.
We had two boards-- one that showed the whole work pipeline of our team, and one that was dedicated to team meeting specifically. However, in the end we ditched the second board for just one board. Most of us found LeanKit to be a necessary evil that was complex enough in its UI; we didn't want to make it even more complicated and difficult to understand. I think we actually tended to stick to the bare bones as much as possible, although I know there was more to the program than we explored.
We have a project manager, and one of her responsibilities would be to check on the status of all of the cards daily. As team members, we would comment daily on all of the cards we were responsible for to give a general overview on the status of each project. It was a pretty simple and informal reporting process. I'm sure LeanKit probably had its own reporting and analytics tools, but to my knowledge we didn't use them.
We didn't integrate LeanKit with anything else and pretty much stuck to GMail notifications as our sole tie-in. The GMail notifications allowed us to get pinged whenever our project manager or another team member would comment to provide an update on a project we were working on. However, we found it more ideal to simply talk to each other about projects through Slack.
LeanKit allowed us to be very clear on who was responsible for a project or task, as well as its deadlines. We were using Leankit from the time I joined the team, so I'm not sure what the business processes and workflows were like before it was implemented. However, it did help us to stay organized as a team.
I think that LeanKit is very similar to Asana's Kanban feature and Trello, but is much less sleek looking than Asana. Asana's clean and sleek UI makes me enjoy project management much more than LeanKit. It might sound silly that the UI makes so much of a difference to me, but it really does. Trello is also sleeker than LeanKit, but I still prefer Asana because it has more customization options and a better interface.

We are actually going to look into switching to ClickUp because we wanted something with a better UI. ClickUp seems to have a great UI with a lot of customization options.
Good if you are working with a team and are very organized. Also good if you are a project manager and need to be able to see what everyone is working on at a glance. Not so good for teams that don't have the bandwidth to be able to update a tool like this regularly and keep it organized. It's only as good as you're willing to make it.

Planview LeanKit Feature Ratings