Gotta love Projectplace!
Katherine (Zaleski) Olsen | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 06, 2017

Gotta love Projectplace!

Overall Satisfaction with Projectplace

We used ProjectPlace to manage our Planview Enterprise upgrade to version 14. We had multiple team members in different geographic locations and departments. There were many tasks including updating documentation. We were able to utilize the Kanban boards to track tasks and who was working on them. The Document Review and Signoff functionality allowed me to ensure the documentation that needed to be updated was done. All users were in the US and used English.
  • Kanban boards for tracking assignments
  • Document review and Signoff
  • Collaboration/Discussion
  • I created a Checklist for items that had to be completed after the upgrade. I often times found myself looking for it as I forgot where I created it.
  • I also think the linking/publishing between tasks and cards could be improved and it was also difficult to see the value in that task.
  • There was no MS Project export option which would have been helpful.
  • Users had some trouble downloading documents using certain browsers (can't remember what the issue was though).
  • Traditional structured projects (Gantt)
  • Action items and tasks
  • Delegate work assignments
  • Share and review documents
There are times when we have small short projects where we just need to track tasks and activities and deliverables. Projectplace allows us to get up and running quickly with minimal effort. We can collaborate on tasks and drive discussions within the tool so it makes it harder to lose track of things (like you can easily do with email).
We did not leverage this outside our organization but would like to in the future.
  • I think it definitely helped us manage our time better and work better as a team. In that respect, I believe the team members felt we were better organized than we have been in the past.
  • We would definitely need to think through a strategy for opening this up to clients because even though Projectplace is relatively easy to use, I find that it is also easy for me to lose track of where items are located.
I prefer the way ProjectPlace is layed out and it is way easier to navigate than Clarizen. However, Clarizen does allow you to add fields to a project (i.e. configure it for your use case) while there is very little configurability in Project Place. Additional reporting out of ProjectPlace would be a plus too.
It is well suited for diverse and matrixed project teams especially those that are geographically dispersed. [It's also well suited] If you have a large number of documents that need to be approved and need to track that approval. It is also nice that team members (like a client) do not have to purchase a license to use Projectplace.

ProjectPlace is not well suited if you have to do any sort of resource scheduling or forecasting, or if you need that to drive the project schedule. I wasn't thrilled with the WBS management functionality so if you need to have a robust WBS you might consider a different tool.

Planview Projectplace Feature Ratings