https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/4Z/KK/EE8IL478GQWG.PNGClarizen - Great for TeamsThe professional services departments use Clarizen to manage customer implementations. It helps us track project cost/scope/time and also allows us to keep project records tied to that information. We store information about project contacts, documents like the statement of work, requirements, and signatures on the project plan. We use color coding to track project statuses and we add notes which are pushed to internal management teams about the project status.,Real time updates: as a web based solution when I update a timeline my manager and team can see the updates as soon as they refresh their view Highlighting what changes and the critical path: I can set up a view that marks items on the critical path and I can set up a view to highlight any dates that change based on a change I make earlier in the plan. This makes slashing timelines much much easier than most programs. Collaborative notes: you can @ team members when adding notes. This is a great way to share project specific comments and also the system keeps a record of these conversations which can be useful for post mortems. Reports: You can create custom reports and share them with your team so they can pull similar reports for their own projects,Export: I'm not wild about the export options. We created a custom project plan formatter to turn the ugly export in CSV to a customer facing color coded PDF. It's not super easy to give your customers something pretty to look at (although they do offer PPTs) Gantt Charts: All I want in life is a nice little high level set of milestones to pop into a slide I'm showing to a steering committee. It's just not something the system does. I've just had to screen shot a hard to read gantt from the system or recreate in PPT or Visio. No fun Speed: I am not sure what's going on here but Clarizen can be pretty slow to update small changes to project plans. It's rough when you have a laundry list of changes to make but the system is waiting,9,We use the time tracking reports to help identify types of projects for which we're under charging for implementation fees We use the notes tracking for assisting with post mortems when projects go off the rails We use the tracking of ARR and implementation fees to pull together reports based on go live that let us know how we're tracking towards our yearly goals,Microsoft Project,JIRA SoftwareClarizen too clouded by gratuitous featuresClarizen was implemented across the whole company when I started working here. It was used for time tracking, timesheet submission and client workload accountability. It addressed the problem of tracking time across multiple client projects in an accountable way for the HR team but was not well liked by the general users.,Clarizen's timesheet submission process was straightforward. Searching for projects/time codes was easy. Clarizen tried to offer workplace management and communication features, though we did not use them.,The user interface could use work, it's very busy. For our purposes, Clarizen had too much going on. We did not use the "status" or chat features, it should try to focus on doing some things very well instead of being an all-in-one offering.,6,As an employee using it for time tracking, I did not see the ROI. We have since switched to Open Air.,Open Air, Harvest and Trello,Sprout Social, Trello, SlackClarizen, great for project management across large orgnizationsOur company has hundreds of projects running at the same time. Clarizen is used for planning out work weeks, time tracking and internal communication across teams.,Resource Allocation - Understand how many projects are going at once, forecasts how many hours are needed to complete a project and understand which resource is the best fit for the project. Internal Communication - Clarizen allows for a place to discuss specific tasks or projects between the project team. The ability to leave notes on the task level allows the entire team to review decision points and helpful information that has caused a delay.,Gantt charts and combining all projects our company is working on to view at an overall level could be better. Better/easier connectivity with other 3rd party software that we use on a day to day basis would be helpful.,7,Our company decided to switch to clarizen 5 years ago and have not looked back sense. Putting a dollar amount on the positive ROI it has had is really hard to do, the more you invest time into the program the more it can benefit your company.,,Salesforce Analytics CloudClarizen reviewClarizen is used through most of our business to push work orders through from salesforce and assign work to resources throughout the company. It helps to provide structure and organize when projects are going to complete.,It is easy to set dependencies for tasks throughout larger projects to know when a resource finishes a piece of the project when the next part will begin It is easy to save off project templates to be used for common projects Clarizen conversations and logging information is fairly easy to use through the site.,I still use reporting through salesforce. It seems to be a lot harder to use in clarizen the few times I have tried to use it. It would be great if attachments on the salesforce Work orders automatically attached and pulled through to clarizen so we dont have to upload them twice.,8,When I was using clarizen for project management I used this everyday to help manage projects. It was an effective way to see how many hours were taken up for each resource and plan accordingly,Alteryx Analytics, Microsoft SQL ServerClarizen - All the bells and whistles in a complicated interfaceClarizen was used by my marketing agency as a way to manage employee bookings, track time and manage travel arrangements. There were many functions of Clarizen that we didn't use, but it was a way for us to see which resources (people) had availability to work on upcoming projects and also keep track of individual time on multiple projects (most people were working on many tasks at once).,Make it possible to see current and future bookings of all resources. Serve as a central hub for timekeeping and travel arrangements. Make it easy to keep track of your own personal time spent on projects.,The interface was hard to navigate (e.g., you'd have to click multiple times to get to some of the screens you needed to use most). It was a relatively complicated system to learn so it created the need for lots of onboarding. Most people in my office found it frustrating to use and overly complicated for what we needed it to do.,7,It helped us keep track of scheduling. It helped us manage resources for projects. It helped us know when resources were overbooked and we needed to delegate or loop in a freelancer.,Open Air,Wrike, Slack
Clarizen

Clarizen Reviews

Clarizen
Filter 66 vetted Clarizen reviews and ratings
Sarah Meerschaert profile photo
November 16, 2018

User Review: "Clarizen - Great for Teams"

• Real time updates: as a web based solution when I update a timeline my manager and team can see the updates as soon as they refresh their view
  • Highlighting what changes and the critical path: I can set up a view that marks items on the critical path and I can set up a view to highlight any dates that change based on a change I make earlier in the plan. This makes slashing timelines much much easier than most programs.
  • Collaborative notes: you can @ team members when adding notes. This is a great way to share project specific comments and also the system keeps a record of these conversations which can be useful for post mortems.
  • Reports: You can create custom reports and share them with your team so they can pull similar reports for their own projects
  • Export: I'm not wild about the export options. We created a custom project plan formatter to turn the ugly export in CSV to a customer facing color coded PDF. It's not super easy to give your customers something pretty to look at (although they do offer PPTs)
  • Gantt Charts: All I want in life is a nice little high level set of milestones to pop into a slide I'm showing to a steering committee. It's just not something the system does. I've just had to screen shot a hard to read gantt from the system or recreate in PPT or Visio. No fun
  • Speed: I am not sure what's going on here but Clarizen can be pretty slow to update small changes to project plans. It's rough when you have a laundry list of changes to make but the system is waiting
It's really well suited to keeping you on task and sharing information with your team. It's not great if you need to export data. And since lots of people use older tools like MS Project, chances are you will have to export. I'd highly recommend this for internal projects or projects where most of the team is internal. It's very easy to use and a lot more functionality that is useful to my day to day work than MS Project offers.
Read Sarah Meerschaert's full review
April Muller profile photo
November 30, 2017

Review: "Clarizen too clouded by gratuitous features"

• Clarizen's timesheet submission process was straightforward.
  • Searching for projects/time codes was easy.
  • Clarizen tried to offer workplace management and communication features, though we did not use them.
  • The user interface could use work, it's very busy.
  • For our purposes, Clarizen had too much going on. We did not use the "status" or chat features, it should try to focus on doing some things very well instead of being an all-in-one offering.
Clarizen is useful for time tracking and time sheet submission for agencies/companies with many different projects and clients to keep track of. I felt it was more designed for the administrator and less for the general employee to use. We could not easily access PTO accrual or project codes ourselves.
Read April Muller's full review
Matthew Tate profile photo
November 22, 2017

Review: "Clarizen, great for project management across large orgnizations"

• Resource Allocation - Understand how many projects are going at once, forecasts how many hours are needed to complete a project and understand which resource is the best fit for the project.
  • Internal Communication - Clarizen allows for a place to discuss specific tasks or projects between the project team. The ability to leave notes on the task level allows the entire team to review decision points and helpful information that has caused a delay.
  • Gantt charts and combining all projects our company is working on to view at an overall level could be better.
  • Better/easier connectivity with other 3rd party software that we use on a day to day basis would be helpful.
Clarizen is a good tool to keep the entire organization on the same page with projects and communication.

It takes time to set up specific views that are relevant to an individual. This could be more simplified.
Read Matthew Tate's full review
November 22, 2017

"Clarizen review"

• It is easy to set dependencies for tasks throughout larger projects to know when a resource finishes a piece of the project when the next part will begin
  • It is easy to save off project templates to be used for common projects
  • Clarizen conversations and logging information is fairly easy to use through the site.
  • I still use reporting through salesforce. It seems to be a lot harder to use in clarizen the few times I have tried to use it.
  • It would be great if attachments on the salesforce Work orders automatically attached and pulled through to clarizen so we dont have to upload them twice.
Well suited for project management and creating rules to workflow that can be automated. It does seem to be difficult to report on items and get this information than from salesforce. It might be easier now than when I tried it in the past but due to that I mainly use Salesforce for it.
Mandy Langston Manley profile photo
November 17, 2017

Review: "Clarizen - All the bells and whistles in a complicated interface"

• Make it possible to see current and future bookings of all resources.
  • Serve as a central hub for timekeeping and travel arrangements.
  • Make it easy to keep track of your own personal time spent on projects.
  • The interface was hard to navigate (e.g., you'd have to click multiple times to get to some of the screens you needed to use most).
  • It was a relatively complicated system to learn so it created the need for lots of onboarding.
  • Most people in my office found it frustrating to use and overly complicated for what we needed it to do.
Clarizen is fantastic if you want to create transparency across disciplines in an agency setting. Project and account managers can easily see which members of different teams (creative, development, etc.) are available weeks or months in advance. Our project managers seemed to find it easy to book resources through Clarizen. It would be less appropriate for smaller teams, or teams all working in one office. We used it to manage teams across 5 locations in 3 time zones.
Read Mandy Langston Manley's full review
John Tasinas profile photo
November 17, 2017

User Review: "Clarizen makes it easy!!!!"

Our team uses Clarizen as a project management tool. It helps us set up timelines for our clients. Our users can make sure the project remains on track, lets them enter notes and we can also see the status of other projects for the same client within our company.
  • Ease of use - Clarize is really user-friendly and easy to learn.
  • Very customizable - Clarizen can be customized in many different ways and even has workflows that automate tasks for you.
  • Customer Service - Clarizen customer service is always friendly and helpful.
  • Workflows sometimes don't run.
  • Disconnect between project and task levels.
We probably only use 5% of Clarizen's features. Our setup is very basic but works for us. Users love Clarizen's simplicity.
Read John Tasinas's full review
Mike McCarthy profile photo
August 02, 2017

Clarizen Review: "Good overall, great support, great webinars"

We use Clarizen in the services team.
  • User interface
  • Options to view data in different ways
  • Integrations
  • Social
  • Tracking
  • Project Management
  • Reports
  • Ease of use
Attend the webinars that are offered to customers and prospects, spend some time really understanding the product, it is very flexible.
Read Mike McCarthy's full review
Brandon Coleman profile photo
September 26, 2016

Review: "Clarizen is Effective But could use slight improvment"

Clarizen is being used by all account managers. It helps identify resource conflicts and helps with timeline management.
  • Identify timeline. Clarizen is very appropriate for timeline management and keeping tasks on schedule.
  • Easily transferable to other colleagues. Our company requires transparency through projects and Clarizen is great at that.
  • Revenue reporting. Clarizen has many features that allow for accurate and timely revenue projections and revenue recognition.
  • It's very program heavy. There is a lot of coding. If this could be simplified I think that would be great
  • There's so much in it, I don't think it's clear on its capabilities. So many features are being lost. I think we need to improve the communication with our point of contact at Clarizen to explain other features. We may know all that are applicable to use, I'm not sure.
  • The layout could use very slight modifications. There is often a lot being displayed that can be overlooked.
Clarizen is well suited for management of daily tasks and resource allocation. I don't think there's an area where it is technically "less appropriate". Everything is beneficial.
Read Brandon Coleman's full review
Sean Woods, PMP profile photo
November 11, 2015

User Review: "Clarizen - A PMO's Best Friend"

Clarizen is currently being utilized by the Tulare County Information and Communications Technology Departments PMO for project management. When we made the selection and subsequent move to Clarizen we were using Sciforma (PSNext) which held many problems that needed to be solved. For example:

• A lack of project metrics, which led to “guesswork” on behalf of
    project managers and the PMO
  • Weak or non-existent effort data, which made it impossible to accurately
    track time spent on projects
  • An absence of work notes -- the PMO had no idea what was going on
    outside of weekly project meetings
  • Sciforma was only being used by PMO staff and not by project teams
  • Resource Utilization, Considering prior to using Clarizen resource utilization was guesswork on the part of the Project Manager I would have to say having any realistic visibility much less the excellent level Clarizen provides is only to be said as exceptional.
  • Clarizen API, We made heavy use of the API integrating Clarizen with two core systems already in use at TCiCT. We integrated actual effort with Service-Now and our homegrown time management software.
  • Project Reporting, Clarizen provides an excellent built in reporting tool that as of late is only getting better with the ability to create custom dashboards directly through the software. Providing management with well laid out project metric data is as important as keeping your project on schedule.
  • Honestly I am so impressed with what Clarizen can do I haven't had time to stop and think about what it doesn't. If I had to pick something I would say it could provide a graphical interface for simple workflow rules.

I have had the pleasure of seeing Clarizen implemented in many different ways by many different organizations. I attended an event where we received presentations from a few organizations and I was blown away at the vast differences in implementations. Clarizen is not a one size fits all. Clarizen is a "How can we fit you" company. There is one key question to ask during a selection process. What are my requirements? Clarizen will meet them, will others? Here were our key requirements (I fully expect yours to be different):

• Robust API tool set to connect with existing technologies
  • Versatile in order to fit in the “middle” of TCiCT’s environment
  • Capture project metrics – particularly effort/time tracking
  • Give PMO insights into project costs and actual resource utilization
  • Store and organize work notes
  • Enable ongoing, real-time project visibility
  • Accessible by all necessary team members, not just PMO staff
  • User friendly to avoid triggering change management issues

Read Sean Woods, PMP's full review
Jason Beamer profile photo
November 12, 2015

Clarizen Review: "Highly Configurable SaaS Tool with Great Overall Value"

• The Clarizen tool (V6) is likely the most configurable SaaS tool available in the PPM world - especially when it comes to the user interface. Meeting a company's need for custom fields & workflows to support unique processes is a major selling point of the tool.
  • Training and support for the tool is nearly unprecedented - there is high involvement from Clarizen staff to ensure both Administrators & End-Users have the assistance they need to utilize the breadth and depth of the offering in both a highly usable & highly available manner.
  • I believe one of Clarizen's strongest points of appeal is that it seems to be able to uniquely meet the needs of the SMB all the way up to true enterprise requirements for PMO's.
  • While V6 has brought with it a phenomenal amount of customization of the entire user-interface, I think there is a need for Clarizen to strike a better balance in providing a greater set of pre-configured interface & workflow options for those organizations that don't need that level customization, as it can be overwhelming.
  • The weakest point of Clarizen today in my mind is the "interactive" Gantt - it is surprisingly limited in configuration options and somewhat clunky in its current design.
  • -- That being said, I know that within 2014 they have committed to rolling out a new interactive Gantt consistent with their updated HTML5 UI overhaul and based on the innovation updates, looks very promising.
  • Though it's understandable from the need to "support" the infrastructure (and from a revenue perspective, I'm sure), I think the current licensing limitations on workflow rules, but more importantly custom field creation, as well as the process by which those limitations are "calculated" is a little convoluted.
  • The mobile "app" is desperately in need of some work - it does very little in terms of value of end-users.
  • -- Again, that being said, I know that within 2014 they have committed to rolling out a new mobile app that more consistent with the main UI standards.
Best suited for SMB companies - low financial impact and great value.
Read Jason Beamer's full review
Jeffrey Driscoll profile photo
November 11, 2015

Review: "Clarizen grants flexibility without sacrifice"

• Clarizen merges a host of project, resource, and time management tools under one, integrated solution.
  • It improves visibility to our performance data. Up until now, we've had to use custom solutions or time consuming deep-dives to find out the facts.
  • It doesn't give good direction for how to do the things it does well. Some other PSA software have a method they ask you to adopt. Clarizen is almost too flexible out of the box, but it's also a strength.
This is the fourth PSA I've used and/or administered. So far, it's the one that does the most and is most flexible. It can be molded to fit a larger number of organizations than the previous offerings I've used or the half-dozen we looked at during our review process.
Read Jeffrey Driscoll's full review
Peter Koch profile photo
May 05, 2015

User Review: "Clarizen: The Tie That Binds"

Clarizen is used to manage and coordinate activities for a portfolio of projects utilizing a shared resource pool. Prior solutions could not adequately manage resource workload. Clarion offers high-level and detailed views so we know that projects will be completed on time.
  • Resource planning
  • Reporting
  • Ad hoc queries
  • Advanced project management
  • Assigning multiple managers to work items
  • License structure supports anemic customization capabilities (Professional) or robust (Enterprise); nothing in between.
I have had very good experience with Clarizen. The product is robust though could use minor tweaks. Clarizen is on a predictable upgrade cycle and offers great training programs. The customer success managers are knowledgeable and willing to help. I'll continue to promote Clarizen to anyone who will listen.
Read Peter Koch's full review
Scott Krangel profile photo
April 08, 2015

"Clarizen Review"

• Allows you to generate projects for any accounts that you're working with and mark each task complete as they are finished.
  • Allows you to create templates for specific product offerings to be re-used when a new project for the product begins.
  • Allows you to track time spent on a project (this can be done either at the project or the task level)
  • Allows you to generate status reports that will be e-mailed to you and then you can edit and forward to the client/team members
  • Allows you to generate customized reports
  • I would like to see an improved Issues Log that is more easily maintainable for each project.
  • I would like to see the roadmap that can be shared with a client be formatted more like a high level project plan
I think this is best suited for organizations where PM's have many projects to manage at once. This allows you to see a high level view of all of your projects and the percentage complete. You also have the ability to view all tasks sorted by when they should be completed, so that you can track what is coming up and any tasks that you or a colleague are expected to complete in the near future.
Read Scott Krangel's full review
Jeff Smargon, Prince2 profile photo
April 07, 2015

"Clarizen Review - Alorica"

Clarizen is utilized by all departments in the organization to manage projects large and small of both internal and external nature. Clarizen addresses the core business problem of collaborative project implementations through an easy and user friendly solution. The application is accessible both via the web and mobile devices providing extraordinary flexibility to the project team thus bypassing long interval updates.
  • Social collaboration - Clarizen's platform allows project participants to interact in real-time through a plethora of channels.
  • Reporting and Dashboards - Clarizen provides a flexible reporting and dashboard approach that provides a wealth of information at your fingertips.
  • Process automation - Scheduled workflow rules allow for increased efficiency for report automation, change/risk management and project accuracy.
  • Backend UI - At times Clarizen can be complicated to customize requiring a higher than normal skillset and or/professional service engagement.
  • Exchange Integration - Clarizen does not have a exchange integration option which requires users to navigate away from the platform.
  • Training - Clarizen training curriculum is not current (YouTube, Clarizen University, etc) which leaves a gap in implementation and or ongoing support.
What is the ongoing support model and what level of resource is required from a system admin standpoint?
Read Jeff Smargon, Prince2's full review
Lea Mohr profile photo
March 30, 2015

Review: "Clarizen - best project management program I have seen"

Clarizen is currently being implemented in our organization to manage new projects and change management procedures.
  • Clarizen provides an up to date format for easy user interaction.
  • It allows visibility of project status to help minimize email traffic.
  • It allows external customers access to specific projects to allow them to stay on top of the projects with you.
  • The on-boarding experience helped us stay on track to implement the program into our company.
  • It was difficult to determine what level company participants should be in order to be the most effective but least costly.
  • The sales team could be a little pushy to get you signed on with in a certain time frame.
  • There was some confusion about upgrade potential and capability to down grade if necessary.
My main question for any customer in the selection process would be: How likely is your team to use project management software and dedicate time to implement? This is the important in deciding whether any project management software will work for you. Clarizen is probably the best program I have used to date for the application.
Read Lea Mohr's full review
David Wilson profile photo
March 16, 2015

Review: "SaaS Project Management Software is the present and future - Clarizen is representative of that belief"

Clarizen was first implemented to fulfill a need within the Web Production/ Web Marketing organization as a way to manage KTLO activities. It quickly morphed in the central tool for managing all work streams, programs, projects and maintenance. With our success of using it to ring a multi-year, multi-million dollar project to market, several other groups/ PMOs within the organization took interest and began adopting Clarizen. Principally, it allowed for high visibility and predictability into project health, while allowing improved communication within project teams.
  • Exceptional UX, with a high degree of client accessible customization allowed us to tailor the experience and workflows to our unique business needs.
  • Communication integration and capture, with document association allowed remote/off-shore teams to be more effective. As a more open system we were free to choose a technology for document management that worked best for us; rather than a proprietary system which Clarizen replaced.
  • Client engagement; extremely responsive to feature requests, and worked collaboratively with us to match the tool to our needs. I've never worked with a professional services team who was so willing to teach me how to fish when it came to running and customizing the tool.
  • They may have already addressed this since I last worked with the tool; agile and particularly hybrid project methods are becoming more common. Their initial capability in 2013 was a little weak in this area when compared to software specific tools such as Jira.
I never really came across an issue that couldn't be addressed via customization, and or an app from the marketplace. Workflow automation is the most complex piece to implement, so if your organization needs it you should be very clear in explaining how you need to leverage the tool upfront. We experienced some initial delay by not looking inward before trying to kick off implementation.
Read David Wilson's full review
Michele Berman profile photo
March 13, 2015

Review: "Clarizen - The best way to increase employee efficiencies."

At my current job, I use Clarizen for project management. I have a project created for each client and tasks within those projects to help keep me on task. Most of our departments use Clarizen for project management; there are only two departments that do not (sales and lead management). Clarizen helps address organizational issues that can occur when a company has too many clients or projects. It allows us to keep other departments on task and to review each other's workload.
  • Clarizen is extremely user friendly.
  • The program keeps track of your progress on any project or task.
  • Clarizen can be fully customized to fit your business.
  • One of the areas where I could see improvement would be that the program allows you to know if you are falling behind on a project, it will say "At Risk". I would like for it to go into detail telling how many of those tasks are late. I think that would help eliminate additional time and additional filters.
  • For specific tasks which have a certain turnaround time, it would be nice if the turnaround time auto-populated.
  • Rarely, when an email is sent out through a project or task, there is an error message stating that the email never sent. But, I will receive the email anyway. Probably just a small bug that needs fixing.
Clarizen is a great tool for my company, which needs constant project management. In our company, client projects change so quickly and it allows all departments to stay on track, as well as keep in great "trackable" communication. The accountability of each department can be quantified which is another excellent quality. I will continue to use Clarizen for my daily work and recommend it to others in need of project management software.
Read Michele Berman's full review
Hirendra Vikram profile photo
March 06, 2015

User Review: "Clarizen, Keep it up!"

Clarizen was implemented as a Web 2.0 collaborative planning tool, where the teams can update the status of progress on their own. We implemented our roadmap projects planning on Clarizen. It was used by only team heads, because of the limited budget, although this limitation was mentioned now and again. The business problem it solves is at the project management level, and provides real time visibility of the status of the projects.
  • Intuitive interface, flexibility of customizing interface.
  • Clean interface, where you can focus on the tasks to do.
  • Dashboards is a big strength.
  • Its ability to notify if someone is online!
  • They can improve on Gantt charts.
  • They can improve on including Kanban boards.
  • They can add screen sharing as a feature.
Clarizen is very well suited for globally distributed teams, but if a team is local and working with the scrum agile methodology, I feel it can be improved for that usage.
Read Hirendra Vikram's full review
Stacey Cellier profile photo
March 18, 2015

Review: "For Visibility, Accountability, Flexibility -- Clarizen is unmatched"

• Flexible, intuitive, but with the right balance of controls. This features in this product allow us to enable business processes as we grow.
  • You really need to know what you want and how your users will work in the system; the flexibility can be both a strength and a weakness.
Read Stacey Cellier's full review
Marcus Odum profile photo
November 26, 2014

Clarizen Review: "The Go to Project Portfolio Tool"

• Clarizen is by far an excellent tool for communication in highly virtualized organizations.
  • Clarizen is very intuitive, easy to learn, and fun.
  • Clarizen's support staff is by far the best I have worked with.
  • Clarizen is ever evolving towards excellence.
  • Takes a while for users to acclimate to the GUI.
  • Clarizen is a web only product.
  • No option for a self hosted version.
Clarizen is perfect for PMOs who are looking to launch a simple solution with immediate ROI. I do not recommend Clarizen for larger Enterprises.
Read Marcus Odum's full review
Roger Botterbusch, EA, PMP profile photo
January 13, 2014

Clarizen: "IT-Start Up Review by a Project Manager"

I previously used Clarizen at a IT-start up. I helped in the evaluation of this product for this firm as a Project Manager. I used it for several weeks during this evalution period developing several dozen projects in the Clarizen tool. The evaluation covered both the base use of this tool for PM work as well as its colaboration capabilities. In the end, this company decided to not go forward with Clarizen due primarily to its slow reponse time in the cloud. Even with a LAN connection, there were times during the day when the tool would bog down and not work fast enough to allow productive use of the tool itself. Now this evaluation was done during Sep/Oct 2013, and the vendor may have updated their server capacity and performance to address this issue since this time period.

Personally, I thought this tool was OK to use. It did have a few issues to pick on it:

1) Copying projects from / to MS Project didn't work very well which made conversions difficult.
2) When adding tasks to a project, sometime Clarizen would put those new tasks in the wrong place in the project and would fight me at times to correct this result via cut/paste or moving of tasks. I'm not sure if this was a result of the times when the Clairzen servers would bog down, but there were times when this one issue would cause me to spend needless hours correcting very simple changes to project plans.
3) You could add files and collaboration information to projects at the project level (potentially quite useful feature for collaboration and project tracking). It would have been better to also allow this feature at the task level to allow this feature to be used in larger project plans which might have a number of smaller project plans contained inside an overall larger project.

Overall, this tool shows promise. If the vendor can address some of the issues above as well as the performance of the tool itself during heavy usage, it has the potential to be a very useful tool for employers who have significant software development work.
  • Adding files and documentation to projects aided in tracking activities and collaboration.
  • The collaboration features of the tool allowed for a group of software developers to collaborate well together even if they were not all physically together in the same location or working in the office at the same time. This would be helpful for those who have virtual teams spread across geographies and time zones.
  • Clarizen was flexible enough to support both PMBOK and AGILE methodologies
  • It needs better cut/paste/move options for tasks within projects or sub-projects within projects
  • The feature to add files/documentation to a project if expanded to the task level would allow for better collaboration in larger projects that span several sub-projects.
  • At the time of my use, the tool sometimes got bogged down to heavier use. Better capacity planning and performance in the servers used by the vendors would help make this tool a much better one to use.
Clarizen is suitable for both projects in PMBOK and AGILE methodologies. If a company is converting to Clarizen from another tool, an evaluation of the number of current projects is needed since moving current projects from other tools to Clarizen might be a challenge. Since of your firm and how many concurrent users will be an issue - need to test in your environment to make sure it can keep up with your overall companies needs.
Read Roger Botterbusch, EA, PMP's full review
Carlos Chang profile photo
January 10, 2014

Review: "If you are a Project Manager, Clarizen is worth a look."

• Incorporation of dependent dates for milestones; series of events automatically adjust depending on other events in the product pipeline.
  • Ability to share personalized schedules, in real time, with our clients.
  • Built-in ecosystem for magaging and notifying assigned personel to duties
  • limited online resources for customization. There were a few instances where we wanted to tweak some sub categories to autofill with previously entered information. We couldn't get that to work.
  • Online system would sometimes drag depending on the size of the project. It was particularly challenging to use the site on mobile devices and tablets.
  • A bit of a learning curve. There is a lot of detail that can be added on the back-end of the software. It takes a bit of time to get everything organized.
For project management, this software is exactly what you need. Multiple projects (with subprojects) can be set up and viewed at a glance to evaluate progress. Project specific information and charts can be provided to clients at a moments notice and once set-up, projects are easily copied and used as templates for future work. The devils are always in the details, and there is no shortage in the details that may be incorporated into this system. Depending on your needs, this software can probably do it - it will just take a little time to get everyone on board.
Read Carlos Chang's full review
Lisa Heydet profile photo
January 14, 2014

User Review: "Clarizen PPM Fan"

Global Strategic project management tool as well as our PPM system of choice for divisional and tactical initiatives. It allows our organization to be successful driving projects towards success at both the C-suite and departmental levels.
  • Great new social media and project management collaboration tools with V6.
  • Inexpensive and quick start up software tool.
  • Great support and free training provided by the company.
  • Reporting and analytics
  • Grouping projects by division or within a certain hierarchy.
Well suited for the simplicity of business users, and comparable product to higher end expensive tools like MS Project suites. Although not much in the way of reporting and graphical/statistical presentations and scorecarding, it does have an standard API tool to interface with other tools of that trade.
Read Lisa Heydet's full review
Marlen Spencer profile photo
January 10, 2014

User Review: "Clarizen - Very SMART tool"

• With the new release, Clarizen has a new user interface and layout that is sleek and attractive; it's social media component is smart.
  • I also like the abiity to edit and complete time tracking directly from the workplan as opposed to moving away from it.
  • Creating and saving templates is much more intuitive in this new release.
  • Clarizen doesn't play well with IE; processing time is way too long. There is a substantial delay when working in IE with the application.
  • Though Clarizen reports offers an abundance of options, one may consider, "reports" not very user friendly. There should certainly be a more intuitive way for creating specific reports.
Read Marlen Spencer's full review
Morgan Maclellan, CPCU profile photo
January 10, 2014

Review: "Clarizen - A Powerful Suite Backed By an Excellent Team"

• Customization - The Clarizen staff has bent over backwards to help us customize the platform for our exact needs.
  • Support - Clarizen has provided prompt, courteous, and personal support every time we have encountered an issue or a problem we couldn't work around on our own.
  • Project Management - The system allows you to create a project that is as complex or as simple as you desire. They have the capability for very complex projects.
  • Better support for financial metrics and tracking that is not related to time and expense.
  • Support for custom project hierarchies based on users or their groups. This would allow separate business units to see project categories without seeing the projects within those categories.
  • Allow for further simplification of the v6 layout. Some of our less technical employees are very overwhelmed.
If the colleague is looking for a system that can handle very complex projects, this is the one. If they are looking for something simple, this suite will likely overwhelm them. If they need to customize anything, this would also be exactly what I would recommend to them. The support staff has been tremendous for us and that would also be a reason I would recommend Clarizen to a colleague.
Read Morgan Maclellan, CPCU's full review

Scheduling (15)
Workflow Automation (15)
5.6
Team Collaboration (17)
Support for Agile Methodology (9)
3.9
Support for Waterfall Methodology (10)
5.1
Document Management (15)
Email integration (16)
Mobile Access (13)
5.5
Timesheet Tracking (15)
Change request and Case Management (13)
3.9
Budget and Expense Management (14)
5.3
Project & financial reporting (3)
4.1
Integration with accounting software (1)

About Clarizen

Clarizen is a global leader in collaborative work management software. The vendor’s value proposition is that their enterprise-grade SaaS solution simplifies work, reduces communication overload and provides extensive visibility at any level of the enterprise. Clarizen enables users to connect employees and partners, sync planned projects with unplanned activities and create documents, reports and specialized workflows. The vendor says this helps users work more effectively, adapt to change faster and achieve objectives with greater productivity.

The Clarizen platform is built on a secure, scalable platform and is designed to work across multiple teams to enable cross-company task, project, and resource management. The vendor says their solution enables users to work with colleagues and customers from a single system of record that gives them:

• Configurable workflow automation – Trigger actions on literally any item in the system, making Clarizen the most flexible solution in the market
  • In-context collaboration – Communicate with colleagues and customers, and track those discussions directly on their tasks, documents, projects and reports
  • Tailored experience – Simplify the work management experience by role or organization

Clarizen Features

Professional Services Automation Features
Does not have featureQuotes/estimates
Does not have featureInvoicing
Has featureProject & financial reporting
Has featureIntegration with accounting software
Has featureProject Portfolio Management