QuickBase for easy development and data manipulation
February 03, 2017

QuickBase for easy development and data manipulation

Casey Kelby | TrustRadius Reviewer

Overall Satisfaction with QuickBase

I use QuickBase as a data base of products to estimate the cost and price for our customers. Data from QuickBase is put into our quotations to provide insight for manager approval before a quotation is sent to our customers. Currently only our industry-specific division of sales is using QuickBase. This allows us to make informed decisions about the actual cost to produce materials versus what our customers have paid in the past.
  • Customization is excellent. You can make form fields be exactly what you need them to be.
  • Reports are easy to create and sort.
  • Dashboards are drag-and-drop which makes it easy for certain users to see exactly what they want to see.
  • Visually, the forms and reports look kind of clunky and not so modern. There are a lot of erroneous filtering abilities that would be nice to turn off in certain reports and views.
QuickBase has definitely allowed us to customize and make changes easily to meet our business needs. This has been achieved by allowing non-IT professionals (with some software skills) to make changes as they were needed. It is also great to present data in different ways to meet different needs; think executive view versus user dashboard.
AppSheet is great for turning a spreadsheet into a function app on the go, but not for manipulating and viewing data in any other format than the one you set. Microsoft Access is only available on computers; I needed something I could access on the go from my phone or tablet. Having QuickBase be web hosted is excellent for my needs.
I developed our QuickBase apps with only limited software/coding knowledge. While I am an engineer, I am not as well versed in app building or computer coding. You need to have the ability to think in code (logically, data typing, strings) but don't necessarily need to do actual code. If you can navigate a computer easily and have experience with spreadsheets and functions you should be able to develop an app inside QuickBase. QuickBase also offers free webinars constantly which can help you learn new features and hone your skills.
  • Building and deploying business applications faster
  • Improving our ability to drive insights from our data
  • Solving a specific business challenge
I often need to change certain features within our apps, such as form fields for data entry. Occasionally field placement can be optimized. Using the form editor and the ability to drap and drop these changes are easy and quick and make every user's experience a little bit easier.
QuickBase is very relevant where a lot of data is being entered into spreadsheets. QuickBase allows so much filtering and customization for how data is viewed, it would be perfect for someone who wants to see certain views of spreadsheets. If you are allowing customers or sending forms directly from QuickBase, you may be disappointed with the user experience.