SAP BW 7.0 Review
July 05, 2016
SAP BW 7.0 Review
Score 8 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with SAP Business Warehouse
SAP BW 7.0 is used by my current client as an enterprise reporting solution. It addresses all reporting needs for my current client such as: operational reports, forecasting reports etc. It is a very good multidimensional (OLAP) EDW solution from SAP.
- Multidimensional reporting
- Logistics reporting
- Standard BI content
- Tight intergration with SAP ECC and SAP HANA
- Tight security
- Export capability for reports like Export to PDF is not available
- Graph capabilities - no heat chart. This tool is more linked with Excel capabilities.
- Development is time consuming in this
- Maintenance is time consuming
- Date format limitations - It accepts dates in a particular format
- Positive - This tool report output is in Excel so it's a good tool if your users are familiar with Excel.
- Positive: this tool has rich BI content so developing extractors for standard processes from SAP ECC can be done in minutes.
- Negative: It lacks lot of features which are available in other newer tools today. For ex. - rich charts, rich filtering, exporting capabilities, user interface.
My client was an SAP shop client where they have SAP ECC. Using SAP BW helps them to save development time on extractors which are readily available in SAP BW. Also, the tight integration with SAP ECC helps to further reduce the time. The users here were Excel friendly so they were happy with the output format.
It is mainly suited for the clients who already use an SAP shop and already have SAP ECC/SAP HANA. The rich BI content in this tool makes it different from others and I think that is the core strength of this tool. Moreover this is an application which uses online analytical processing methodology. This helps in easy multidimensional analysis of the data compared to other RDBMS applications.