- Columnar Storage for tables definitely provides way faster database operations. You can see the difference when processing huge amount of data.
- HANA has a calculation engine which allows you to create virtual data models. You don't need secondary indexes for faster performance. It performs very well even with billions & billions of rows.
- Real-time Replication Service of HANA can be used to access and replicate data from SAP ERP. Very useful for clients who has existing SAP systems. They can implement side-car approach without impacting stable system & still can have benefits of faster data access.
- I have heard, HANA is costly - both hardware & software license.
- Hard to find skilled resources. (This might not be valid in near future)
- Database has specific hardware requirement. So just running installation doesn't work. (not a big Cons)
Company with small database should not think about this because it will not give them much benefits for its cost.
For Mid-size companies, if you are happy with overall SAP's solution then implement HANA Database in small steps to comply with S4 HANA requirement before 2025.
- Real-time OLAP queries on transactional data.
- Integrated application layer (XS/XSA).
- RServe support
- PAL offers only basic algorithms.
- Exception handling in SQLScript is limited.
- Multi-threading in SQLScript is not possible.
SAP HANA is an appropriate choice if an analytical applications is based on a (very) large data foundation that needs to be accessed and aggregated (OLAP queries) in real-time. It also provides an application layer that allows to build web-based front-Ends using SAP UI5.
If the data foundation is not very large or real-time queries are not required SAP HANA is likely not be an appropriate choice given its pricing model.
- Gets rid of the need to pre-aggregate data sources.
- Allows you to analyze millions of records in real-time.
- You can use it as the semantic layer for your entire data platform.
- Because it is new, things change very quickly, especially in the administrative area to be in.
- The licensing can be confusing.
- Superfast report response time.
- Developing models are simple compared to earlier methods.
- No need of BW Accelerators or additional indexing and simple maintenance of system.
SAP HANA is not required to the routine analytical reporting such as Profit/Loss statements, etc.
- Faster retrieval of data from in memory database as all data resides in main memory RAM
- Data compression techniques in SAP hana are better than older databases
- OLAP and OLTP systems can be combined in one system to leverage the feature of both systems together
- SAP HANA licenses are costly as of now. To attract more customers it should lower the license cost.
- Skilled professionals for SAP HANA are much needed so proper training and innovation should be taken into account by the professionals.
- Get maximum involvement in integration with other applications and databases like big data Hadoop through smart data access.
- Real-time reporting
- Faster access
- Ability to interface with other applications
- Optimized profitability
- Wide Interface Options
- License cost needs to be reduced
- GUI/Hana Studio is too complex
- SLT is still in developing stage
1. Enterprise wide reporting for mid to very large size companies
2. Where we need real-time reporting
3. It has analytic engines also which make it very unique in market for analytic solutions
4. Integration with R//Python helps for data science projects too
5. Real-time data processing like Airlines/Soccer Matches
- SAP Hana does well at providing near to real time data synchronization from various tools especially SAP tools.
- Its in memory feature reduces the data retrieval time drastically.
- Merged suite tools that combined give exceptional features in SAP landscape.
- SAP HANA is way too expensive for any small to midsize organizations. For the large companies such as the one I am working at, it needs lot of budget approvals to implement SAP HANA.
- Since SAP HANA has lots of competition in the cloud based technology, the constant updates require mandatory server upgrades and that is sometimes a pain.
- Great performance boot. Having the data available in-memory, reports are now running 10-20X faster.
- Columnar storage provides a great degree of data compression and speed-up data aggression.
- All the data models are virtual views (Attribute, Analytical and Calculation view) so No materialize view. Gives ultimate flexibility to change the data model on the fly during development cycles with low impact.
- Still an evolving product, we are getting fix patched every 2-3 weeks’ time period.
- Like to see some enhancement on the security module. Admin can’t able to see data available under user private schema. Not able to restrict memory allocation based on user profile.
- Missing tighter integration with other database like Oracle and SQL server
- A data base for our OLTP system.
- A data base for Our OLAP System.
- A Data warehouse.
- Analytic engine for BI
SAP HANA Solves many problems:
- Operational Reporting:- Leveraged SAP HANA as a scalable platform for Artist operational reporting of SAP and non-SAP data sources offering fast loading through real time replication, fast report generation and flexible navigation options with reduced administration effort. It offers new possibilities of analyzing big data of any format with the end goal to eventually provide customers self-service reporting capabilities on KPIs and to allow status tracking in real-time.
- Optimized profitability:-Sales & Marketing representatives face the challenge to identify the “value” of each Artist derived from sales, granted discounts, etc. In order to provide recommendations on what to offer each Artist for sales growth. Additionally, Sales & Marketing organizations need to analyze promptly several millions of Artist data from several data sources. There is a lack of a visualization, exploration and predictive analytics to support intelligent decision making through meaningful KPIs and a full view of Artist data.
SAP HANA Scorecard Summary
About SAP HANA
SAP HANA Integrations
SAP HANA Competitors
SAP HANA Technical Details