Sharpest Tool in the Shed
December 01, 2018
Sharpest Tool in the Shed
Score 10 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor
We use NPM to monitor all network devices across our footprint. It provides a great platform for network monitoring. It is our main tool for monitoring location availability. With 100s of locations, having a central solution that brings all network metrics into one system is invaluable.
- Very easy to implement and use. SolarWinds might be the only company that is constantly improving small things like the installer. As a system admin that has to perform a lot of installations, this is important.
- SolarWinds is also known for actually listening to their customers and taking their recommendations into consideration.
- I'm a huge fan of NetPath. As most admins struggle to visualize data for upper management, NetPath is the best thing since sliced bread.
- NetPath has one thing that bothers me. After going from the main NetPath page into a test, one has to use the browser's "back" button to return to the list of tests.
NetPath is a great tool that allows us network admins to visualize the flow of traffic to our critical web portals. Even if one has no networking experience, NetPath will easily identify network slowdowns between nodes. NetPath is the perfect view for NOCs and upper management. It is easily setup and adds instant value.
Network Insights is another great feature that allows one to visualize traffic and other metrics on network devices. It puts the health and performance of the network devices together on an easy-to-use view. SolarWinds has done a great job in identifying critical devices like Cisco and F5 devices and has pre-built great views for this type of hardware.
We benefit greatly from the different types of alerts one can configure in NPM. We send emails for informational alerts, emails also populate our central NOC dashboard. We open cases in our ticketing system automatically by using the execute external program alert action. The trigger conditions are highly customizable which minimizes the chance of sending false alerts.
- Over the years we have used many other tools but the low cost of Orion has made it a staple in our network monitoring arsenal.
NPM is the perfect network monitoring solution because of all the pre-built templates and ease of use. I would highly recommend this tool for any small monitoring team. It will allow you to look like you have an entire team of admins when it can be easily managed by a few people. SolarWinds does a great job in constantly updating and improving the software and upgrades are a piece of cake.