SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor, from Austin-based SolarWinds, is a network monitoring option.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/Qn/7Y/GFXR292JE2EE.PNGSolarWinds is our recipe for successWe are using SolarWinds as a SNMP monitoring tool for all of our switches, routers, UPSs and other misc devices. It is the primary monitoring tool of our networking team and is utilized remote technicians as well to be informed through the alerting engine. SolarWinds has been instrumental in proactively addressing network and power issues prior to end users calling us. This level of support has enabled us to minimize downtime saving our company a significant amount of money.,I think the shining example that sets SolarWinds apart from the rest is the approach it takes with SNMP. I have served in the Managed Service field and monitored devices for over twelve years and SolarWinds SNMP monitoring design is bar-none the best I have used. I appreciate how different aspects of NPM flow togeher. An example of this is when you monitor a wireless controller and how it will automatically populate all of your access points along with statistics into the system. Using this feature along with the Network Traffic Analyzer has been a powerful troubleshooting tool. The user community is a large part of the success of NPM. SolarWinds provides a forum that allows others to share their successes and discoveries with others. It is both friendly and professional and has been a major help to me.,I'm not a big fan of the licensing model which can quickly become bloated as your consider adding additional modules. It would make sense to me to cover device counts in your maintenance contract and then simple pay a straight fee for your modules. Getting assistance for setting up monitoring templates is primary found through the user community (especially for unique devices). I would love to see a section in thwack that has a more organized approach to monitoring scripts that are organized by device (perhaps even company). Make all functions required for monitoring templates available through the web GUI. Having to configure use the Universal Device Poller for configuring SNMP templates is a nuisance.,9,We really havn't found an opportunity yet to utilize this feature as we believe it is intended. I can see where it might be useful in scenarios where there might be a network device that was installed any not documented properly (not on our network :) ). I love the idea of NetPath and I'm sure there will come a time when it will be of use to out team.,Network Insights is a time-saver. When we need a quick answer regarding a stat on an end device we can flip to the insight screen in NPM as opposed to having to logon directly on a switch or router. It summarizes the right kind of information which is also customizable to our preferences.,I love the freedom that NPM provides with defining alerts! The granularity of alert configurations within SolarWinds has been a major asset for our network team. We have been able to finely tune alerts so that we receive what we need to see without having to be bombarded with unnecessary chatter. Receiving pertinent alarms is crucial to avoiding unnecessary distractions during the day and getting much needed sleep at night.,First and most importantly, we maintain networks in food manufacturing environments. Downtime means loss of product and is always incredibly costly to our company. Providing proactive support for our systems has helped keep our downtime costs low. Reporting has given us an opportunity to communicate network statistics to our company executives. This focus aides targeting areas of our network that need investment as well as areas that do not. Granularity in monitoring and alerting has been helpful in assisting other departments within the organization such as maintenance, laboratory and administrative. It has allowed us to consolidate monitoring solutions into one tool as opposed to various implementations through-out.,Kaseya Network Monitor,10,3Solarwinds Gave me my Life Back!!We started off just using SolarWinds for managing our IP addresses years ago, but over the years we have grown using more than 5 unique modules from the product. We currently use the core NPM, NCM, IPAM, SAM, NTA, and SRM. these products have effectively helped our organization become proactive on handling predictive failures of hardware and helped us improve scaling on our storage and improve performance on a lot of our applications.,IPAM - helps effective provide history of IP addresses in your organization for audit purposes as well as alerting due to IP address conflicts. NCM- effectively being able to configure multiple network devices from a single management point has become a valuable asset SAM - Application and Hardware Monitoring is so granular that customization amongst various hardware and software's have been made easy using SAM. Examples: monitoring UPS Battery Life span and Remaining Battery load for multiple UPS across a WAN gives you insight of your backup power situation that can be addressed before it becomes a problem.,I feel a little more granularity in user permissions for all modules would be an improvement. Give one user a certain right that another user should not have. Right now for the majority, its user or admin...with nothing in between for most modules. Customizable views per user, not globally.,10,Unfortunately I do not use the NetPath portion as much as my colleague, but he has found it to be an invaluable tool for audit and investigation of performance issues and vulnerabilities.,We have used insights to help with hardware health ranging from voltage irregularities into networking equipment which could affect the hardware from voltage spikes and drops. Cooling monitoring on hardware devices can monitor RPM speed of the cooling fans, and alert when certain fan speeds do not met your set baseline of the devices.,predefined alerts are great and give our organization fast response time to issues that arise with hardware or software. The ability to use complex alerts has helped us navigate the alert message to specific people based on the escalation level of the severity of the incident.,From a technical standpoint, preemptive warnings from monitoring have helped us avoid many outages which would have required after hours work and expenses to resolve problems when they happened.How we use SolarWinds NPM, and some of the features you will find helpfulWe use the Orion Summary page for all senior admins - we get alerts if things are coming down, if servers are running low on disk space, if memory is over utilized. Many different uses. I like the additions of NetPath services. I have also used reports and the network Atlas to create visual representations for our active links. Diving into a node is helpful to establish response time issues, trends and even capacity forecasts. I use this on servers, SANs, switches, Wireless controllers, and alert monitoring services.,NetPath services are a godsend when you are trying to explain to ISPs, etc. about where traffic is congested or stopping. Sometimes seeing is believing for them. The other BIG deal is anticipating disk capacity - when volumes get to full, servers crash. With NPM, we can and create set thresholds for warning us before we run into issues, and then we can add storage, memory, and CPU, (especially on our Virtual environment.) Alerts are great - instead of hearing from our users that a server is offline, we are aware of it right away.,It would be nice to be able to set up SNMP3 for some of our systems in an easier fashion. But it is not a show stopper. Sometimes the support refers us to the Knowledge base and Thwack. Not a huge deal, but I only end up putting in a ticket when I have spent a great deal of time searching for a solution.,10,We do use this feature. However, we do not use it as an "always on" feature - rather, when we need to know something, it is VERY helpful. We do run a consistent NetPath service when we have recurring issues - this helps us determine issues with some of our cloud services.,We monitor all of our switches with SolarWinds - we tried a more expensive and dedicated solution, but we found it cumbersome and less of a value than what we already had in SolarWinds. Looking at packet loss, bandwidth charts, response time, etc. is very helpful. We have had instances where our bandwidth was significantly reduced on T1 equipment, and we found that there were issues with ice build up and attenuation. We couldn't explain the causes of the issue, but the chart was instrumental in getting the cable replaced by the provider.,We use the alerts all the time. However, we noticed we have to customize the amount of time before an email is sent - sometimes we can have a virtual machine restart in less than 2 minutes, and at one time the alert for sending an email was set to 4 minutes. Believe me, everyone notices when someone reboots a server for patching and then no alert is generated - so you have to be cognizant of these issues and adjust for your environment. Sometimes we are unaware that a server is down and the alert goes out - when we get in the next morning, our email has been triggered, and we can attempt to rectify the issue before users suffer a loss of service.,Once we started using it, it is hard to envision being without it! It is nice to show uptime percentages and the like to the folks who control the purse strings. SolarWinds NPM is not the only SolarWinds product we use, but it was instrumental in making the decision to purchase additional SolarWinds products. We used SolarWinds to build reports, which have lead us to replacing T1 circuits with faster dedicated wireless and fiber optic connections as well. I think our IT group is respected because we tend to be aware of the issues impacting our users on a deeper level than we would have without NPM.,The good, the bad, and greatness!SolarWinds NPM is only being used in our Information Technology department. It helps us address preventative maintenance on our network infrastructure and keep downtimes to a minimum. It is also great at analyzing and monitoring the communication between network devices to see where issues may have risen. Being able to embed maps of our school sites also gives us a visual of our network topology.,The event log in NPM is quite detailed in explaining what take place and at what time. It also allows you to click on the event so you are able to see the exact node which has been affected. NPM also does a great job in constructing visual charts from the SQL database. Once these charts have been created you are able to search for a particular date and time to see what took place on the network, such as how much traffic was sent and received, and utilization of the interfaces being monitored. The dashboard gives a nice overview of what's happening on the network. It is also customizable which allows you to remove and/or add any information that you want to see right away.,One of my main issues with SolarWinds NPM is the fact that it only supports Microsoft's SQL Database. Since there are open source alternatives, this adds to the overall cost of ownership. I feel that the amount of server resources it requires is quite taxing. This can be a make a break for smaller organizations who have limited resources. The GUI is needing a major overhaul as it's becoming a bit dated to look at and could use an update.,8,Since our network largely depends on our county's infrastructure, there was an issue that occurred when they implemented new equipment to some of the other sites. We started seeing our overall download and upload speeds decrease from 1gbps to 10mbps. We were able to see NetPath and get a better visual representation of where part of the problem persisted which decreased the amount of time resolving this issue.,The insights have been helpful at being able to quickly spot issues. Since we are able to view our configurations right next to the interface being looked at, it really lets you see if it is a configuration issue or something more troublesome. Since there was a breach at a neighboring site, of all other school districts including our own, we have been on high alert with our network security. Being able to monitor our Cisco ASA to see who's connected and all VPN sessions gives us a better sense of security.,The pre-defined alerts are fine but I've definitely had to do some tweaking since there were certain things or pieces of hardware that were always going off when nothing was actually wrong with one of our core switches. After making my customizations, it has been wonderful at sending emails and SMS alerts. It has truly allowed me to set certain thresholds that our equipment must meet and since everyone has different types of equipment this allows each organization to truly take control.,It has saved us time by alerting us when a node has gone down and telling us exactly which one it is. This has saved us several hours so we are not having to manually search for the issue. We have been able to properly secure our school district's firewall overall network using insights. The heat maps it provides once the wireless equipment has been added to NPM has made sure we have the proper coverage for our students and faculty.,ZabbixSaving time with SolarWinds NPMCurrently our IT department uses NPM to monitor the campus wired and wireless infrastructure, servers, security cameras, environmental monitors, and VoIP. Our department is small and the advanced alerting helps us to identify problems quickly.,The web interface is completely customizable. Each member of the IT team uses a view that suits them. The sysadmins use a view that focuses on VMware while my view focuses on network switches and traffic. The alerting on NPM is excellent and easy to configure. We even created an alert for a device that is supposed to remain disconnected from the network. The possibilities are endless. We have created device pollers combined with custom metering for each Smart UPS on campus. When a building suffers a power outage this poller allows us to inform management how much time is left before the building loses VoIP and WiFi services.,NPM can work in conjunction with their Network Engineer toolset. But only a few of the tools are available to use this way. If the integration was completed then SolarWinds would have a real winner.,10,Too many alerts causes "alarm fatigue". Once that happens we tend to stop paying attention. Because NPM alerts are customizable we have edited triggers to reduce false positives and disabled alerts that are of no practical use. We have created customized alerts for SQL job failures that are of use to specific employees.,I don't have those statistics.,WhatsUp Gold
Windows, Windows® Server 2016; SQL Server 2016 SQL Server 2016 SP1 SQL Server 2017 (including installations on Linux)
SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor

SolarWinds NPM Reviews<a href='https://www.trustradius.com/static/about-trustradius-scoring' target='_blank' rel='nofollow'>Customer Verified: Read more.</a>

SolarWinds NPM
Filter 254 vetted SolarWinds NPM reviews and ratings
Aaron Oberman profile photo
December 07, 2018

SolarWinds NPM Review: "SolarWinds is our recipe for success"

• I think the shining example that sets SolarWinds apart from the rest is the approach it takes with SNMP. I have served in the Managed Service field and monitored devices for over twelve years and SolarWinds SNMP monitoring design is bar-none the best I have used.
  • I appreciate how different aspects of NPM flow togeher. An example of this is when you monitor a wireless controller and how it will automatically populate all of your access points along with statistics into the system. Using this feature along with the Network Traffic Analyzer has been a powerful troubleshooting tool.
  • The user community is a large part of the success of NPM. SolarWinds provides a forum that allows others to share their successes and discoveries with others. It is both friendly and professional and has been a major help to me.
  • I'm not a big fan of the licensing model which can quickly become bloated as your consider adding additional modules. It would make sense to me to cover device counts in your maintenance contract and then simple pay a straight fee for your modules.
  • Getting assistance for setting up monitoring templates is primary found through the user community (especially for unique devices). I would love to see a section in thwack that has a more organized approach to monitoring scripts that are organized by device (perhaps even company).
  • Make all functions required for monitoring templates available through the web GUI. Having to configure use the Universal Device Poller for configuring SNMP templates is a nuisance.
SolarWinds is specifically suited for network device and SNMP monitoring. While there are other solutions out there that do well for monitoring Windows, SolarWinds is the king of SNMP. It is the best all around monitoring solution that I am aware of. We use SolarWinds for a primarily Cisco network and the ease of adding devices and utilizing out-of-box features was crucial when we first began using the product.
Read Aaron Oberman's full review
Mark Lambert profile photo
November 09, 2018

SolarWinds NPM Review: "Solarwinds Gave me my Life Back!!"

• IPAM - helps effective provide history of IP addresses in your organization for audit purposes as well as alerting due to IP address conflicts.
  • NCM- effectively being able to configure multiple network devices from a single management point has become a valuable asset
  • SAM - Application and Hardware Monitoring is so granular that customization amongst various hardware and software's have been made easy using SAM. Examples: monitoring UPS Battery Life span and Remaining Battery load for multiple UPS across a WAN gives you insight of your backup power situation that can be addressed before it becomes a problem.
  • I feel a little more granularity in user permissions for all modules would be an improvement. Give one user a certain right that another user should not have. Right now for the majority, its user or admin...with nothing in between for most modules.
  • Customizable views per user, not globally.
Larger enterprise environments with multiple locations is a well suited environment. It provides a central point of monitoring and configuring globally across the organization.

May not be as suitable for smaller organizations as the smaller module subscriptions may still be more expensive than an organization would need for several modules.
Read Mark Lambert's full review
Dwain Erhart profile photo
November 07, 2018

Review: "How we use SolarWinds NPM, and some of the features you will find helpful"

• NetPath services are a godsend when you are trying to explain to ISPs, etc. about where traffic is congested or stopping. Sometimes seeing is believing for them.
  • The other BIG deal is anticipating disk capacity - when volumes get to full, servers crash. With NPM, we can and create set thresholds for warning us before we run into issues, and then we can add storage, memory, and CPU, (especially on our Virtual environment.)
  • Alerts are great - instead of hearing from our users that a server is offline, we are aware of it right away.
  • It would be nice to be able to set up SNMP3 for some of our systems in an easier fashion. But it is not a show stopper.
  • Sometimes the support refers us to the Knowledge base and Thwack. Not a huge deal, but I only end up putting in a ticket when I have spent a great deal of time searching for a solution.
If you have a decent sized server farm, you will want to monitor it. If you spend time arguing with ISPs about whether they are at fault, you need NetPath to clarify. If you are a very small business, you may get by without it, but it can really save your team time and effort when you deal with multiple servers. We don't monitor EVERY node on our network - just the high level points - all servers, all network egress/ingress points, keeping ahead of storage space issues, and getting an email if something is happening you would otherwise be unable to check on a regular basis.
Read Dwain Erhart's full review
Michael Gonzales profile photo
November 07, 2018

SolarWinds NPM Review: "The good, the bad, and greatness!"

• The event log in NPM is quite detailed in explaining what take place and at what time. It also allows you to click on the event so you are able to see the exact node which has been affected.
  • NPM also does a great job in constructing visual charts from the SQL database. Once these charts have been created you are able to search for a particular date and time to see what took place on the network, such as how much traffic was sent and received, and utilization of the interfaces being monitored.
  • The dashboard gives a nice overview of what's happening on the network. It is also customizable which allows you to remove and/or add any information that you want to see right away.
  • One of my main issues with SolarWinds NPM is the fact that it only supports Microsoft's SQL Database. Since there are open source alternatives, this adds to the overall cost of ownership.
  • I feel that the amount of server resources it requires is quite taxing. This can be a make a break for smaller organizations who have limited resources.
  • The GUI is needing a major overhaul as it's becoming a bit dated to look at and could use an update.
I believe NPM is well suited in scenarios where the business has dozens of network equipment and/or servers to monitor. Since it is able to monitor virtually anything, from servers, to network equipment, virtual machines, and wireless devices it is best suited in and environment that supports several different types of devices and within an organization who needs these services up and running at all times.
Read Michael Gonzales's full review
Emanuel Maldonado profile photo
November 02, 2018

User Review: "Saving time with SolarWinds NPM"

• The web interface is completely customizable. Each member of the IT team uses a view that suits them. The sysadmins use a view that focuses on VMware while my view focuses on network switches and traffic.
  • The alerting on NPM is excellent and easy to configure. We even created an alert for a device that is supposed to remain disconnected from the network. The possibilities are endless.
  • We have created device pollers combined with custom metering for each Smart UPS on campus. When a building suffers a power outage this poller allows us to inform management how much time is left before the building loses VoIP and WiFi services.
  • NPM can work in conjunction with their Network Engineer toolset. But only a few of the tools are available to use this way. If the integration was completed then SolarWinds would have a real winner.
It all comes down to making the best use of our time. Typically users would rather use your time than their own. For example, in the case of poor database performance a DB administrator will most likely blame the network. They would like you to use your time to provide evidence to the contrary. This will allow them to use their time for something other than troubleshooting their server or database. Once the innocence of the network is proven then and only then will the DB administrator look elsewhere for a solution. In the meantime clients suffer longer and more time is lost. Solarwinds NPM saves time. If the network is performing as it should it only takes a moment to verify and share the information. If there is a network issue NPM will have already sent an alert long before the DB admin makes the call. What more could you want?
Read Emanuel Maldonado's full review
Roger Oliver profile photo
September 28, 2018

SolarWinds NPM Review: "2 Decades for network motioning experience."

When I started at my current company the previous engineers had used Nagios but never trained anyone on their specialized configurations or how to duplicate their work. Since Nagios no one on the team that was left had experience with Nagios. I brought in SolarWinds NPM to quickly bring a handle on basic networking monitoring which was not being done. Management bought into my plan and we've migrated all monitoring to SolarWinds products as a core single pane of glass.
  • Easy templates can be made to train everyone on adding and managing nodes.
  • Reporting Reporting Reporting
  • Constant upgrades to features to keep up with the changing times.
  • Better email controls. Right now we can do everything to control different groups getting emails but it could be easier.
  • NTA needs to be part of NPM they should not be separate products.
  • Filtering/searching options on syslogs and alerts.
If you have less then 30 network devices that do not need to be 24x7 then SolarWinds is not for you. If you have multiple sites and 24x7 revenue tied to up time of these locations then SolarWinds is the best place to start for keeping your eye on your world.
Read Roger Oliver's full review
Deirra J. Footman profile photo
September 21, 2018

SolarWinds NPM Review: "NPM is a valuable tool for Network Monitoring"

Our organization uses SolarWinds to gain visibility into the performance of the Network and to alert us to problems an outages. This helps us be proactive in identifying issues within the network and quickly address them. NPM offers high visibility into our network with a user-friendly interface. The product offers a high level of customizability allowing us to hone the monitoring and alerting to meet our needs. Getting the product up and running is pretty straightforward. The learning curve comes in when honing your monitoring. Support is responsive and reliable. The Thwack community also offers helps for deployment and management questions. The interface offers loads of charts and graphs allowing you to show how your network and key interfaces are performing. This is especially helpful when you are presenting to senior level management and team member who may not fully understand Networking.
  • Easy to Navigate Interface - The user interface is laid out very clearly and it is intuitive to navigate.
  • Highly Customizable Alerts - You have the ability to fine-tune alerts to meet your needs.
  • Detailed Graphs and Reports - NPM does a great job of translating raw analytical data in to easy to read graphs and reports.
  • Ability to Monitor a Wide Range of Devices - There are built in MIBs for a wide range of device vendors and you have the Ability to configure more.
  • Creation of Custom Charts and Reports - Charts and graphs can take a little time to tweak to get the data that's relevant to you. Creating custom reports also isn't intuitive however the SolarWinds support is great at assisting you when needed.
  • Licensing Model - You definitely need a good knowledge of what you're trying to see. Licensing is based on the number of elements being monitored (devices and interfaces). This can get costly so you want to have a good understanding of what areas you wish to target if Cost is an issue in your organization.
  • No Real Integration with SD WAN Tools - Solarwinds NPM allows you to link with SD WAN APIs but due to API limitations, you only get surface level info. I would like to see them partner with some popular SD WAN vendors.
  • Network Atlas - this is the software you use to upload maps into the system. Currently, its a standalone piece of software on the server. I would like to see this integrated into the online console.
SolarWinds NPM has been really great with helping us diagnose the causes of network slowness, interface saturation and alerting to outages. It provides a centralized location to analyze the performance of the network and related devices, alerts allowed us to respond to outages quickly and reduce downtime for users. The product delves deep into the network allowing you to spot and resolve minor issues before they become user impacting. The modular approach they use as far as additional products work really well and the components mesh together really well. The data it provides comes in handy for identifying trends and long-term planning.
Read Deirra J. Footman's full review
Collin Lichtenberger profile photo
September 11, 2018

"SolarWinds NPM Customer Review"

It's being used across our whole organization. It allows us to use one pane of glass to see both Network and Server issues across our organization. This is important to allow our NOC to watch many systems/interdependencies without watching multiple systems. It also allows us to keep recent configurations of our network gear, for survivability.
  • It pulls SNMP data well, in particular it allows us to capture port level information with a decent amount of historical data. This is true for user ports or trunk ports.
  • It does a good job of keeping an up-to-date stable of configurations. This is invaluable for recovery operations.
  • Syslog collector is also very useful to again correlate performance data against what errors the box itself is processing.
  • I would like to see the robustness of the database and pollers improved. It seems like we often need to do system upkeep or the application seems to grind along very slowly.
  • I would also like to see an improved method for auto-provisioning of server monitoring tools.
  • I would also like to be able to update maps/drawings directly from the web interface without having to use a separate Windows client.
It does basic ping and SNMP monitoring fairly well, but again I would very much like to see the robustness of the system improved. We far too often have to call support because the application is running slowly. This is my biggest complaint. Besides this, I see SolarWinds NPM doing very well in a campus environment. I do not believe it is well suited for monitoring cloud applications at this time, though.
Read Collin Lichtenberger's full review
AJ Gumataotao profile photo
August 28, 2018

SolarWinds NPM Review: "SolarWinds Proves Time and Time"

Solarwinds NPM is current being used in my organization's network throughout. As for access to the platform it is restricted to the IT team at the moment but are working to get real-time statistics to display on our SharePoint portal for all organization users to see the real-time health of our network and services. NPM has solved a couple of problems that were important to identifying root causes for network or network related issues. This was accomplished by utilizing the built-in features of NPM such as device polling (SNMP/PING) which gives us a status of the health of a device or the reachability to it, and NetPath has helped in cases where we have had ISPs failover and increase latency or increase the amount of network hops to a configured resource.
  • Easy to navigate UI while still providing powerful monitoring features.
  • Wide range of features to monitor just about any network/service.
  • Configurable (eye candy) reporting for upper management.
  • alerting features are very good for just about of any type of alerting you need
  • With many services moving to the cloud monitoring can be a challenge depending on your cloud deployments.
  • Pricey but much less work to do than open source / free tools.
  • If not configured to its full potential or to your organization's needs it can appear to be useless for it's price.
  • Alarms in a device can only be acknowledged individually and not on a incident affected basis.
  • For newer devices/platforms you have to customize pollers as the built-in pollers may report incorrect data.
Best suited for networks with platforms that have no type of performance/health statistics gathering built-in. May not be appropriate if you have a full cloud managed platform such as Cisco Meraki which has plenty of performance/heath data in its dashboard already.
Read AJ Gumataotao's full review
Greg Richards profile photo
August 15, 2018

SolarWinds NPM Review: "Entry-level tool; starting to show its age (not in a good way)"

We are currently using SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor (NPM) to provide enterprise-wide monitoring across a physical campus location in Irvine, Satellite WAN locations (MPLS) and Meraki managed sites. We also utilize NPM in conjunction with Netflow and Voice Network Quality Manager (VNQM) to get a complete picture of our entire Enterprise infrastructure.

It address the strong need for a stable and quick network for our Enterprise Services (Proprietary applications created to service Glidewell needs).
  • Summarized network statistics in easy to use out-of-the-box graphs
  • Quick and very pretty presentation-quality graph via "PerfStack". A quick-fire comparison graph solution provided only with SolarWinds products.
  • Most tools are pre-scripted and work well in most environments. Easier for entry-level positions to learn. No learning to script needed to start.
  • Since it summarizes most of the details, it lacks any real-time functionality. If a user complains of network slowness, you'll have to use either a separate tool to drill down in real time after the fact and hope it replicates or if the network issues are quick and intermittent, it will be missed by SW unless you have super aggressive and almost unrealistic polling times (sub-minute) for the SolarWinds platform, particularly the polling engine
  • Frequent crashes related to the Orion Platform.
  • Some features are released without optimization or cause severe platform issues and ultimately end up being disabled until patched later.
  • Updates tend to be on the slow side when it comes to APIs for new technology. Examples: Meraki, Nexus OS(SD-WAN), etc.
Meraki support was released, but, most the important functionality provided from the API did not work. Two patches later it's finally "fixed"

VoIP data only accessible through a separate module, most other networking monitoring providers have it included. Even at that, the separate module is half-baked. Most of the information is not useful and is just an expensive archive of said data.
Read Greg Richards's full review
Cody McNeill profile photo
December 01, 2018

SolarWinds NPM Review: "SolarWinds tells us before the users do!"

At my company, we have many terminals. I use NPM to ensure that there are no network issues, as network speeds are vital to ensure our virtual desktop users on the WAN are able to do their job. We have a lot of alerts that warn us when network performance is becoming an issue. We used to have to wait for the users to tell us there was a problem, but now we know before the call and can already be working on solving it!
  • A great way to map your whole network to be able to pinpoint the device causing the problem.
  • Tracking hardware errors has never been easier, we get alerted the second a redundant power supply fails and can replace it right away!
  • Watching storage trends to be able to plan for how much more storage we will need for the next 5 years is amazingly simple.
  • With so many features, it can be hard to use them all to their fullest potential, although the training videos help.
  • Built-in event log will log every time an interface changes speed, so auto interfaces will sometimes cause bulky logs.
Great for places that don't have a network map and do not know their network. I always suggest it when going to a business that does not have a dedicated network person, or had one suddenly leave with all their network knowledge. It really helps being able to see it from a top-down view. The automatic poll of all the devices also really helps find everything on your network.
Read Cody McNeill's full review
Justin Czachor profile photo
December 01, 2018

SolarWinds NPM Review: "NPM just works"

We have over 40 buildings and we use NPM to monitor traffic between our locations and determine if there are issues at our different sites. We also use it to generate reports for use with determining need and future and past traffic stats. This helps to determine if we need to increase throughput to different sites or if there is an anomaly that needs to be looked at.
  • The interface is really well-designed. It's pretty intuitive and easy to work with.
  • I like the map editor. It works well in creating maps and having an overall view of your sites.
  • I like the customization of the pages where you can change the layouts.
  • I don't like building reports. It seems bulky to find what I'm looking for when browsing for different objects.
  • I found it impossible to create a custom SNMP check. It may be due to my lack of knowledge, but it was difficult and SolarWinds was no help.
It's a great 'drop it in, set it up, and forget about it' type of network monitor. It doesn't require a ton of upkeep, maintenance, or daily work. It just does not require the type of attention that some other network monitors require. The email updates work well. If you just need something that works and doesn't need a ton of work, this is for you.
Read Justin Czachor's full review
Jeffrey Rapini profile photo
December 01, 2018

Review: "SolarWinds NPM best bang for your buck!"

We use SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor (NPM) globally to manage and monitor our critical business applications and infrastructure devices. NPM provides a clear, easy to understand dashboard that is easy to drill down to more detailed data. NPM was very simple to set up and has been pretty simple to manage, and the solution scales perfectly to our size.
  • NPM provides detailed information like availability, health, performance monitoring, and bandwidth analysis.
  • NPM is a very useful tool for performing network discovery.
  • NPM's reporting capabilities offers pretty good granularity.
  • Speed of the application
  • Ease of grouping business application infrastructure together
  • End to end business application performance monitoring
SolarWinds NPM is great for any organization that wants to monitor and manage their IT infrastructure. Creating dashboards is fairly easy and it is very easy to get professional results. Reporting features are pretty robust and it's easy to create simple reports. I think if you have a need for very granular monitoring that might be a weakness of NPM.
Read Jeffrey Rapini's full review
Dale Witt profile photo
November 25, 2018

SolarWinds NPM: "SolarWinds Network Monitor Review"

We used SolarWinds for the purposes of monitoring our networking infrastructure. It allowed us to keep track of our servers and switches within our domain. It was primarily used to help keep track of network performance and utilization as well as notifications of outages.
  • Allows for monitoring of network traffic and utilization.
  • Customized alerts and notifications.
  • Allows you to inventory all devices on the network.
  • It can be difficult to set up initially.
  • Better initial documentation and on boarding would be very useful.
It provides as much or as little information as you need to the right people once the tools have been installed and configured. Once configured correctly the alerts are very useful in keeping the network up and healthy.
Read Dale Witt's full review
Mike Nostrom profile photo
November 06, 2018

Review: "SolarWinds NPM - One stop shop for complete network monitoring"

NPM is used to monitor the health and performance of our entire networking environment. It helps us to detect and resolve network performance issues and outages to minimize end-user down time throughout our entire organization.
  • Helps us to monitor our infrastructure in an easy to view customizable console
  • PERFSTACK! This feature is extremely critical to troubleshooting problems
  • Plays nice with others - Nexus, ASA & F5
  • Filtering/searching options on syslogs and alerts.
  • Licensing Model - You need a good knowledge of what you're trying to see. Licensing is based on the number of elements being monitored (devices and interfaces). It can get costly so you want to have a good understanding of what areas you wish to target if Cost is an issue in your organization.
  • Speed. It can be slow when there are lots of devices monitored.
SolarWinds NPM is the eyes and ears of our network. It gives us global visibility into everything on our network and its status. Without it, we would be blind to issues and be reactive instead of proactive when things happen. We use it to check bandwidth constraints and also to troubleshoot outages to trace back to the root cause. We also use Cisco Prime for our networking environment because it does a few things better than NPM.
Read Mike Nostrom's full review
Keith Gulledge profile photo
November 06, 2018

User Review: "SolarWinds NPM is the bomb!"

We use NPM for monitoring the up/down status of all of our Cisco switches/router (350 devices). We use it to monitor the bandwidth usage of all of the critical ports (server ports, uplinks, Internet links...). We also use it to monitor stack ports for stack switches. We get email notifications on all up/down statuses.
  • Great for reporting (email notification) up/down status of network devices.
  • Great to see status of stack ports in case 1 switch in a stack is down.
  • It is critical to see bandwidth usage and NPM does it well.
  • Not really anything. It does what we need.
NPM makes my team proactive instead of reactive. We have 30 locations that we monitor and could not live without NPM.
Read Keith Gulledge's full review
Shawn Winters profile photo
October 19, 2018

SolarWinds NPM Review: "Solarwinds - the eyes and ears of our IT"

SolarWinds NPM is the eyes and ears of our network. It gives us global visibility in to everything on our network and it's status. Without it, we would be blind to issues and be reactive instead of proactive when things happen.
  • SNMP polling. It has a tremendous database of almost any device you can think of available.
  • Wireless monitoring. It can pull all our meraki and Aruba info in to the same panel as all our other switch gear.
  • Space Monitoring. It keeps tabs on all the space available across all our devices.
  • Speed. It can be slow when there are lots of devices monitored.
  • Cloud aware. It does have ties to the cloud, but lacks a lot in this space.
  • Database. It would be nice if it ran on something other then SQL server. It can get costly given the SQL requirement.
I've used it for almost 8 years at 3 different companies. I find it suitable for any distributed infrastructure that's connected with Layer 3 Networking. It's less suited to monitor things across the public internet.
Read Shawn Winters's full review
Michael Haberkern profile photo
October 15, 2018

User Review: "SolarWinds NPM for the win"

We use it to check bandwidth constraints and also to troubleshoot outages to trace back to the root cause. Also to check what times of the day the util is the highest to assess new hardware, etc.. This tool is very valuable with the features it has, although licensing can become expensive depending on how you use it.
  • Finding which sites uses the most traffic, what type of traffic and where they are traversing to and from.
  • The GUI interface is relatively intuitive and easy to customize.
  • The integration to the Orion Platform is good, kind of a one-stop shop.
  • The licensing model can become expensive, because they are based on port count.
  • We find the best bang for the buck to put them on the uplink interfaces.
  • Sometime the GUI gets too into the weeds from the default config. You have to modify to see what you want to see. Needs are different for each company.
Great for sites small and large, but if budget is an issue, deploy only on uplink ports. Having a licnese for each port can get expensive if you have lots of switches and users
Read Michael Haberkern's full review
Tuan Le profile photo
October 12, 2018

SolarWinds NPM Review: "Great product for any company that have an IT infrastructure!"

Solarwinds NPM in combination with NTA, NCM, and VNQM gives us an integrated intelligent data correlation for smart M&C. It helps to isolate non-performing links or track traffic shift in medium size network. The alerting and reporting functions are robust. The SDK/API allows us to combine other tools for a complete monitoring solution at the network and application layers.
  • NPM-friendly GUI with robust out of the box SNMP statistics collection.
  • NCM Router Configurations Management.
  • Netflow - long data retention periods.
  • SolarWinds is too dependent on the Microsoft operating system. Patches and updates easily breaks the SolarWinds application. Appliance based model may work better.
  • Upgrades are painful and becomes almost a 24 hour marathon in our large scale installation.
  • Support time for high urgent severity crash is slow. It seems like it's more dependent of when we call in as oppose to what the actual severity level of the ticket opened is.
Solarwinds is great for network monitoring.
Read Tuan Le's full review
Brett Hallahan profile photo
October 11, 2018

User Review: "Solarwinds NPM is Great!"

We use Solarwinds NPM within the Information Technology department as a way to identify highly utilized ports and devices, along with tracking down end-user device usage, and the possibility of end-users abusing service such as music streaming, video streaming, social media in general, etc. It has allowed us to troubleshoot, enforce policies, and complete capacity planning for the company.
  • Showing the top-10 talkers is extremely helpful when hunting down bandwidth issues and hogs on the corporate network. This has assisted in resolving connection issues for many locations at once.
  • Interfaces with high percent utilization has been a very large help with a NOC view that I have built, along with identifying devices that may be misbehaving (e.g. completing a backup outside of the schedule), along with end-user network usage.
  • The switch stack view showing errors, discards, and usage also helps in troubleshooting network issues and improving performance via hunting down issues prior to end-users experiencing loss in performance and/or connectivity.
  • Getting to a map involving a device can be a bit cumbersome, as you have to go into the device's page itself to pull up a map. Being able to go into a map section and look up a device would be a great help; just an idea for an improvement.
NPM is great in environments that have a lot of interconnected devices and/or sites. An MPLS network is a great example, as it allows us to view, monitor, troubleshoot, and improve the network and its connectivity between disparate sites. It wouldn't be a great value-add for non-local sites, or very small organizations that have one or two switches and/or routers. It also doesn't work extremely well with Cisco Meraki, as the access provided by Meraki to those devices doesn't allow for network heat maps, or similar.
Read Brett Hallahan's full review
Ryan Steele profile photo
August 30, 2018

SolarWinds NPM Review: "SolarWinds keeps a good eye on your network weather."

We are using it to monitor network connected devices across our whole organization. We use it for alerting and monitoring. It allows us to know the current state of network devices so we can be more proactive than reactive.
  • Easy to use/deploy
  • Supports a wide variety of devices from an SNMP MIB perspective
  • Has some customizable features for each device
  • Integration with AD
  • It's bloated from a software standpoint, the installs are huge.
  • Performance can be sluggish at times.
  • No way to install MIBs yourself at this time, so if they don't support it you have to submit it, wait, and hope they add it.
  • The scales of graphs and reports are usually not great by default; it requires some tweaking.
  • Pricing and sales teams are always changing.
They offer a variety of sizing options that can fit almost everyone's budget. Running everything on one machine for small deployments likely works ok. Anything substantial device count wise will require some decent servers to run the software well. We constantly have to keep an eye on our database sizes. I think for the most part the modular approach they use is good. You can buy only the pieces and parts you want.
Read Ryan Steele's full review
Jon Liedtke profile photo
August 09, 2018

Review: "Solarwinds NPM - Single pane network visibility"

We utilize NPM primarily for monitoring cisco switches. However, we also use it heavily to monitor other network devices as a means to first alert us of an outage or an issue. Our support team lives within the NPM dashboards throughout their work day.
  • NPM does a great job of alerting us to outages, latency, connectivity issues etc...
  • NPM provides historical data for monitored devices to the port level.
  • NPM provides our customers (we are an MSP) with real-time network information for their environment.
  • NPM is ideal for installations where systems are monitored on a local LAN. If you are monitoring over a WAN connection a lot of false positives can be generated based on latency and outages unrelated to the monitored environment.
  • The cost to add additional NPM polling engines is high in my opinion. If I could I would have a polling engine local to each LAN but it is cost prohibitive.
  • Upgrades of NPM in our case have presented some challenged, likely due to the age of our installation. Solarwinds tech support has been helpful in recommending an upgrade path forward.
NPM is a good fit for monitoring of devices on a local LAN. If monitoring over WAN you will encounter some challenges.
Read Jon Liedtke's full review
Paul Luchini profile photo
December 01, 2018

Review: "SolarWinds NPM can handle anything you throw at it"

Currently our Network Operations and Network Support departments use NPM to monitor our networking devices, report on historical performance, and manage and back up device configurations.
  • Provides a single source for monitoring, managing, troubleshooting, and backup.
  • Supports a wide range of vendors and equipment.
  • Can be as simple or as detailed as you want to configure it.
  • Licensing could be more straightforward. It seems like there are too many separate products.
  • Once you start making use of a lot of features it gets more complicated to manage.
  • Server/SQL requirements increase quickly as you scale up.
It is well-suited if you have someone who will take ownership of managing NPM. It is harder to get the full benefits of NPM if you don't have someone who invests time in setting it up and maintaining it.
Read Paul Luchini's full review
Jayson E. Conry profile photo
August 07, 2018

SolarWinds NPM Review: "NPM in PNW!!!"

My company currently uses SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor to monitor the entire organization's network hardware both physical and virtual. We have multiple regions across the Pacific Northwest. It has been very supportive of all of our processing that ties into third party vendors' SaaS processes and appropriately triages any and all issues within the internal network and external tunnels.
  • Network Mapping. The Network map is an absolute must for any multi regional organization that requires a holistic view of how the networking SLAs are being met.
  • Network Atlas should be a process added to the console instead of having to access it to build the maps on the servers.
Cisco Nexus switches are better suited for NPM than most other tools.
Read Jayson E. Conry's full review
Joshua Smith profile photo
August 03, 2018

Review: "SolarWinds NPM - the backbone of network monitoring"

SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor is our backbone for monitoring all network infrastructure for our company. We use it for all devices currently deployed in the field, as well as all data center device monitoring. The ability of NPM to monitor large scale environments such as ours, and the integration with other SW products such as NCM and SAM work very well with NPM.
  • NPM polls devices consistently for status
  • NPM gathers statistical data for logging
  • NPM also has reporting and alerting features that aid in logging historical data and diagnosing issues
  • NPM can be a bit hard to tame on resources in a large scaled environment
  • NPM needs some finesse when running large scaled jobs/reports
  • NPM could stand to be more efficient on the back end. It can be a hog.
NPM can be a backbone for monitoring network devices in anywhere from small, to large scaled environments. Keeping historical and statistical data, in conjunction with other SW products such as NCM, SAM, and NTA, you can monitor your network and diagnose issue faster than you'd otherwise be able to. It's helped us keep our systems running.
Read Joshua Smith's full review

Automated network device discovery (84)
Network monitoring (93)
Baseline threshold calculation (86)
Alerts (92)
Network capacity planning (76)
Packet capture analysis (56)
5.5
Network mapping (77)
Customizable reports (86)
Wireless infrastructure monitoring (58)
Hardware health monitoring (85)

About SolarWinds NPM

SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor (NPM) delivers comprehensive network fault monitoring and performance management that scales and expands with your network monitoring needs. Users can collect and view availability, real-time and historical statistics from routers, switches, firewalls, servers, and any other SNMP-, ICMP-, or WMI-enabled devices directly from a web browser.

SolarWinds users can get a full NPM installation up and running the same day they download. Implementation does not require a team of consultants. NPM provides quick visibility into the health of network devices and servers on the network, ensuring that users have the real-time information they need to keep their network running at peak performance.

Network Performance Monitor helps IT Pros:

• Quickly detect, diagnose, and resolve network performance issues and avoid downtime
  • Respond to multiple condition checks, correlated events, and device dependencies
  • Automatically calculate capacity exhaustion dates using customizable thresholds based on peak and average usage
  • Streamline network troubleshooting with an easy-to-use Web interface
  • View paths to critical business services hop-by-hop, even into the cloud, with the NetPath™ feature
  • Get deeper visibility into complex network devices with Network Insight™ features for Cisco ASA firewalls, Cisco Nexus switches, and F5 BIG-IP load balancers

SolarWinds NPM Features

Network Performance Monitoring Features
Has featureAutomated network device discovery
Has featureNetwork monitoring
Has featureNetwork mapping
Has featureCustomizable reports
Has featureWireless infrastructure monitoring
Has featureHardware health monitoring
Has featureMulti-vendor device support for any router, switch, firewall, VPN concentrator, wireless access point and other devices that support standard protocols
Has featureIntelligent alerts for correlated events, sustained conditions, and complex combinations of device states
Has featureInsight on hardware health by monitoring, alerting, and reporting on the state of key device sensors
Has featureNetPath for hop-by-hop monitoring of critical business services, on-premises or into the cloud
Has featureNetwork Insight for Cisco ASA firewalls

Network Performance Monitor overview

SolarWinds NPM Downloadables

SolarWinds NPM Integrations

SolarWinds NPM Competitors

ManageEngine OpManager, WhatsUp Gold, CA Unified Infrastructure Management, Nagios, Micro Focus Network Node Manager i (formerly HP Network Node Manager), Paessler PRTG

Entry-level set up fee?Optional
SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor SL100$2,955Up to 100 elements - License with 1st-year Maintenance
SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor SL250$6,720Up to 250 elements - License with 1st-year Maintenance
SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor SL500$10,445Up to 500 elements - License with 1st-year Maintenance
SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor SL2000$19,345Up to 2000 elements - License with 1st-year Maintenance
SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor SLX$32,525Unlimited elements - Standard Polling Throughput - License with 1st-year Maintenance

SolarWinds NPM Support Options