A Good RMM
March 12, 2019
A Good RMM
Score 8 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with SolarWinds Remote Monitoring & Management
Although SolarWinds RMM provides many integrated features and add-ons, we strictly use SolarWinds RMM for managing, monitoring, and Windows patch management for our customers' servers and workstations. Custom filtering for monitoring is standard. They offer it on a month-to-month basis with a minimum number of endpoints. It is a cloud-based RMM and you will have to deploy the agents to all the endpoints you want to manage.
- Remote Access -- you'll have a choice between Teamviewer or MSP Anywhere. Either choice is very fast to access remote devices. The remote background command line is much better than the competitors'.
- Dashboard -- simple to view for all the managed endpoints.
- Alerts -- it offers to customize alerts so that you can select which important criteria you'd want to receive or not.
- Out of the box configuration -- users will have to spend a lot of effort to configure the RMM to fit their business model, as well as customization of alerting and services.
- Reports -- The executive Summary Report and monthly report are very plain.
- Patch management -- It's hit or miss.
- Pricing -- with many of the feature add-ons, SolarWinds can be very pricy for a small MSP.
- SolarWinds Backup (formerly Maxbackup) integration -- the dashboard only provides an external link to manage your SolarWinds Backup. So you cannot manage them within the dashboard. The only backup that you can manage is the SolarWinds RMM Backup.
We moved away from Kaseya to Max Focus, which later became SolarWinds. At the time we were having lots of issues using Kaseya, with failed alerting as well as reporting. SolarWinds (Max Focus) addressed our issues. As a small MSP, the dashboard panel is intuitive, allowing the scalability for remote support and monitoring fits with our business model.
The product is a very solid RMM. It's a single platform for remote support, patch management, and monitoring. One feature we love is the remote command line and remote scripting to run task without having to interact with the users. The dashboard is easy to navigate and easily find informative details for the endpoint that you managed. It's very easy to view all the inventory of the endpoints.