Out of the box SAM is great! Can't wait to fully deploy and watch the magic happen
Updated July 14, 2020

Jeff Allen | TrustRadius Reviewer

Overall Satisfaction with SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor

To be honest we do not have this fully deployed and configured as we have not had the time. Out of the box I am using it as a monitor and alert system to notify me when things are not consistent or available.

• Monitoring-I am able to set trends based on how I expect my equipment to run.
  • Reporting-I can pull up reporting for trends to see when things are not in alignment.
  • Alerting-I can be alerted or notified if something is out of balance or unavailable.
  • None that I can think of until we fully deploy it.
Greater visibility of systems not consistent with baselines. Address issues ahead of time.
  • Allows me to focus on bigger items while SAM keeps me aware without pulling me away.
Way way more robust! Ability to grow beyond.
Again, not fully deployed. Where it has made a big impact is visibility of our exchange server, SQL server, and virtualization to prevent issues from rising during the production day. I will note that SAM brought to my attention a server that was using up way too many resources for its role, and after investigating, we identified the server was hacked.

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Feature Ratings

Application monitoring
Database monitoring
Threshold alerts
Predictive capabilities
Application performance management console
Collaboration tools
Out-of-the box templates to monitor applications
Application dependency mapping and thresholding
Virtualization monitoring
Server availability and performance monitoring
Server usage monitoring and capacity forecasting
IT Asset Discovery

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Premier Support

A great thing about SolarWinds is that out of the box you can figure out the basics pretty quickly to monitor your systems and get alerts. However, with access to Premier support I was able to take our SW install to the next level with tie-ins to PagerDuty for IT support rotations. In addition having access to support for setting up database monitoring VM monitoring was very beneficial.
The SW implementor will need to weigh what they want to get out of SW, how much time they have to initially invest in it, to decide if they want premier. If you are an enterprise environment, I advice going with Premier from the beginning so you can get the most out of SW from day one.
Direct access to most experience support engineers - For me the benefit is having access to support engineers that know SW inside and out, but can also make suggestions and recomendation based on what they have seen with other companies. PagerDuty is probablymy favorite example as its important for our operations. SW Premier support showed me how to integrate with PD and how to get the max out of it with alerts and scheduling.
Have not really relied on the Health Check for anything other than when we needed support after a SQL update broke SW. The Health Check helped them identify the break quickly so they were able to get us back up.
The Premier support reps are real world IT's with real world expereince. Many occasions when I have worked with support, they identified with my goals and intentions and showed me supperior ways to use SW to Monitor and Manage our systems that I never would have thought of. I often use PagerDuty as an example, but also SW can back up the configuration of my switches and firewalls, which years back Iwould not have known if it was not for Premier support. Their is a lot to SW's products, and Premier Support is a great ally to leverage all of the features.
I have not personally needed to use this. The Upgrades are pretty straight forward from my expereince.