Reviews (1-25 of 170)
- Monitoring server performance and up-time.
- Diagnosing issues with applications.
- Tracking down issues with applications.
- Preventing outages, you know when an issue has occurred rapidly.
- Offer professional services for new installations.
- Offer training on the product, some companies would need training.
- Include Netpath/Netflow.
- Versatility: The program allows for monitoring of almost any system, simple or complex and allows for intricately programmed alerts based on each monitor.
- Ease of use: Type in the URL, and you are greeted with a fully customizable dashboard with any and all of the pertinent features to your workflow.
- Modular: The program itself is very powerful, but the ability to add or remove features based on need is exceptional compared to competitors.
- Help links & additional tool-tips. Having thorough and easy to understand instructions is the most important part of software this comprehensive and it would be great to include direct links to wiki pages.
- Monitor/Alert templates. The program could use more and simpler alerts and monitors.
- Forecasting server behaviors
- Historical performance reports
- Correlation of historical data
- Easy implementation
- Go community support and online information available for users
- Reporting generation when you need to create from zero a report
- Forecasting server behvior is not to easy to set up
- Setting up alerts and baselines
- Alerting: Not only can you alert on apps/services/components/system resources, but SAM also addresses over-alerting if a system/application goes off-line by using a parent/child system relationship. If the parent system goes off-line and you have alerting setup on the components, SAM is smart enough to recognize the parent is down and not inundate you with all child resources that went off-line.
- Integration into the Orion product: SolarWinds does a great job integrating SAM into not only Orion but Orion's other products that monitor systems.
- The breadth of what can be monitored: SAM's extensive list of what it can monitor on top of adding whatever system/component that's not included in Orion's provided pre-made list of choices made it an easy sell to us.
- All the issues we had have been addressed by past SAM versions.
- It does a good job of letting us know when a server goes offline, or when it is rebooted.
- It warns us when we are getting low on disk space.
- It lets us know if a node on the network, such as a switch or other critical network device, is offline.
- It provides feedback in the case of an outage, letting us know time and the resources that were impacted by the outage.
- Most alerting tools are a challenge to get fine tuned, Solar winds is no exception to this.
- The GUI for managing the Alerts is pretty klunky and could use a face lift.
- The application monitor portion is a little more challenging to get setup. To the point that we don't use it very much.
- SAM provides built in templates for monitoring common applications.
- SAM provides a framework to easily write custom monitors for third party applications.
- For built in templates SAM gives guidance for what an alert means and often how to resolve it.
- I believe the pricing of SAM is a bit on the high side.
- Immediately alarms if the disk has not enough free space.
- The most powerful tool is that you can design your own monitor, depending for example on the existence of a file, its size, and its contents.
- Mainly, if the issue is resolved, SAM also alerts.
- Sometimes, changes in the equipment or on the server system cause issues, i.e. change of the FQDN of the server. Resolution is available but when there is a problem with SAM, the monitoring stops, so sometimes it causes more serious problems.
- Out of box templates for common applications cover a number of the applications we use. Can easily create custom templates for our more unusual applications.
- Integration with other parts of the Orion suite for better correlation of different items and dependencies.
- The out-of-box support for some of the Dell hardware could be stronger; especially around storage.
It's a bit more focused on Windows platforms and applications than others, but it does have support for them as well.
- Easy to use templates for out of box alerting.
- Easy to integrate and add nodes to monitor.
- Great for identifying issues and remediating.
- Support from Vendor sometimes is lacking.
- Some variables have gone missing in updates and lack of knowledge training for those.
- We would like more integrated application monitoring out of box experiences or ease of use for following community projects.
- Easy to manage.
- Allows us to identify issues before they cause outages.
- Customized alerting.
- Integration with the full Orion suite to get a complete picture.
- In-depth customization can take some time.
- It has some out of the box commonly used application monitors for Windows
- It has some out of the box commonly used application monitors for Linux
- You can set up custom application monitors for Windows systems
- You can set up custom application monitors for Linux systems
- I wish there was more out of the box Linux application monitors
- I wish it could communicate with TR-069 for monitoring our LTE
- Full stack monitoring from the User to the App server.
- Most common apps are supported out of the box.
- Create custom app templates for in house apps.
- There can be a significant learning curve to take full advantage of the product.
- Somewhat limited without integration with other SolarWinds Orion products.
- Reporting requires some SQL knowledge to use them to their full potential.
- It's very helpful for identifying DBA type issues before they become a larger problem (SQL Server).
- It's flexible, and the sensors work with many different platforms.
- It's straightforward to set up and deploy.
- It's not necessarily a bad thing, but there is an overload of information once you deploy, so it can be overwhelming to know where to start.
- It is a quick and easy install
- Easy to monitor built-in Windows services
- Gives the ability to monitor custom services
- Ties seamlessly with the rest of the Orion platform
- Basic monitoring requires many licenses
- Alerting and monitoring can be very chatty
- Lots of configuration is required to reduce false-positives
- Classification of data and default displays.
- Datacenter dashboard.
- Remotely restart services that have failed.
- Non Microsoft SQL support (On Prem).
- Lack of in-program recommendations. (This option is performance heavy).
- Appliances for VMware.
- Up/Down alerts, memory, and CPU utilization alerting.
- Ease of use.
- Hardware monitoring.
- Cisco UCS Fabric Interconnect and Chassis monitoring.
- Alert testing to see which servers would be impacted.
- No additional ability to have monitors based on scripts.
- We have simple monitors combined with alerts such as monitoring drive volumes and alerting the OS team when needed or the application owners depending on the drive.
- We have a high priority DNS internal farm that is monitored, tested, and alerted if anything ever fails any of the customized tests.
- One of the few issues I have is the user rights granularity. I would like a lot more options.
- Visual reports of historical data.
- Alerting team when something is going wrong.
- Analyzing server performance in real-time.
- It would be nice to overlay metrics on the same graph, so we can compare metrics.
- monitoring all the infrastructure(servers, network, applications) for uptime, performance, usage, etc.
- generating reports to analyze the performance, quality, and usage of the datacenter.
- alerting us to error situations: high usage for RAM, CPUs, reaching the limits of the storage, server down, etc.
It is used by the IT department that is responsible for the uptime, availability and quality of our datacenter.
- Monitoring servers for performance.
- A configurable alerting system -- for things like high RAM or CPU usage, disk space limits on mounted folders, unexpected shutdowns.
- Reports-- a wide selection of reports (a total of 145 in our instance).
- Performance analytics -- a nice UI feature that lets you build an analysis of the servers you need to monitor for performance issues.
- It's slow most of the times -- we are monitoring hundreds of servers from the datacenter, and going through the screens to look at your server may take some time.
- It is not monitoring all servers in our environment, maybe because of the performance issues. If I need to add one (as a user) I have to send a request to IT, and it may take a few days.
- The User Interface could use an uplift; nowadays people's requirements for usability and user experience are at a very high standard.
- Implementation is easy. With a list of IPs/Hostname a mass add, gets you up and running.
- Ability to create custom dashboards help with users seeing their specific items.
- App insights help finding and monitoring on application specific items.
- Dashboard creation is a bit clunky, there are maybe 1 or 2 many clicks
- Hard to edit a template for just one application. For example, if I only want IIS monitoring for app A, I must go into the template to edit for those servers.
SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
About SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor
SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor (SAM) delivers application and server monitoring capabilities for IT pros enabling them to diagnose and troubleshoot issues faster. The vendor’s value proposition is that this solution prevents slow applications and downtime from impacting end-users and business services. Users can use this tool to pinpoint the root cause of application issues across various layers of the IT stack.
The vendor says SolarWinds SAM is affordable, easy to deploy, use and customize. Users can automatically discover their systems environment and start monitoring in about an hour. No professional services or consultation needed.
SAM is built on SolarWinds Orion® platform enabling native integration with Network Performance Monitor and other IT management software from SolarWinds.
SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Screenshots
SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Videos (2)
SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Downloadables
SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Integrations
SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Competitors
SAM pricing starts at $2,995.
SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Support Options
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Technical Details