https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/sf/fY/UWRMK8SAHSR2.PNGSAM oh SAM, go get SAM to save your BACONWe use SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor across the whole environment. I have triggered alerts notifying when applications are down or have exceeded custom defined thresholds. We monitor individual applications via real time process monitor. I would be dead in the water without this great tool running. We have done nothing but improve performance since the implementation of the SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor.,Triggered Alerts Custom Thresholds Integration with IIS, Exchange, Active Directory out of the box! Top 10 Lists - Monitored, Integrationg with Orion,I would like to see SolarWinds Server & Application monitor have 2 modes or themes available; day time or what you currently have available. I would like to see a second option available, a dark theme. I would like to see SolarWinds Server & Application monitor to allow for unlimited nodes and applications to be monitored with a base license. The end user is responsible for resources! I would like to see SolarWinds Server & Application monitor have additional configuration features available to the end user on the Settings page. For example, SMTP configuration specifically for SAM.,10,SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor has been designed to monitor the performance and availability of on-premises, hosted, and cloud infrastructure with associated applications, all from a single tool. This has not really impacted my organization quite yet. It is great news, as my organization will definitely benefit from the services in the future when we do start using resources in "the cloud". I can't imagine not having visibility into performance now that I am used to the great service. How do you gage THE CLOUD?,We have definitely benefited from having SAM and Virtualization Manger running in the same environment. I have a full view of all resources running and the alerts are just a little bit different on what the tools are looking at... for example, I have SAM looking at the health of the application and VM looking at the storage, CPU, and other resources. The two tools together, you can't go wrong!,My organization has definitely benefited from the capabilities SolarWinds has developed. We are so much more responsible to our applications, hardware and software. The benefits of SolarWinds Server & Application monitor along with the other great tools, have totally outweigh the cost! I am proud of my environment and the performance that we have achieved. It was a long road. The SolarWinds reporting allowed me to speak in a normal business tone instead of with passion and anger! You don't have to say much, the reports say the good, bad, and ugly!,SolarWinds Server & Application monitor has definitely paid for itself. The renewals for maintenance are no longer a conversation, as management obviously understands the value of the relationship to their success! SolarWinds Server & Application monitor has allowed my team to deep dive into issues. We have made a tremendous jump in up time and overall performance.,No nonsense review of SolarWindsSolarWinds is used as an operations alerting center for our networks. We have 70 branches across 12 states. With SolarWinds, we can see the health of our network and know when a problem arrives and can quickly work on resolving the issues.,Monitor voice network and quality Monitor exchange databases Monitor network connectivity Server uptime,The ability to remove modules without having to rebuild the whole system. The recent test of WPM has shown that when using the trial version it becomes embedded and difficult to remove all parts The requirement for 3.5 dot net. The system is old and should be updated. I like the SolarWinds help group, but sometimes you don’t get replies for weeks regarding some of the more obscure problems. Easier to open tickets than have to wait for help from others.,9,SolarWinds has been the single best monitoring tool in our companies arsenal. It has impacted every part of our IT department from help desk support to database and network engineers. Each has alerting rules that target our key infrastructure and can alert them in minutes of problems.,We tend to grow every quarter and the complexity of our network shows this. The ability to automate the discovery has helped to catch every change and easily update our alerting rules and maps.,We have several servers and level of servers being monitored. From developing applications servers to production servers. Each requires different alerting rules. The ability to define the different rules easily and across varies, VM makes this task simple. The engineers responsible for each level can monitor the things most important to them and quickly respond when they have problems. One recent example is related to exchange database monitoring. We run four exchange servers and have them load balanced for best use. We were alerted to a single database that was corrupted and was able to quickly rebuild the single affected database before the company users noticed.,The monitoring tools have grown by 50% in the last 3 years. We have increased our original network monitoring to include virtual servers, Cisco voice network quality manager, and server application management to name a few. We have been able to alert our network carriers before they can see the problem. This has helped our uptime connectivity by being proactive and not waiting for an outage to occur. One of the unexpected benefits is UPS monitoring at every location. We have set up alerts to notify us of aging UPS devices so we can swap them out before a power outage occurs and we find out too late and cannot handle the loads.,LiveActionSolarWinds alerts free up our time from constant reporting.We currently use SolarWinds as an uptime monitor as well as software configuration. It also serves as the main source of reporting on disk space and network utilization for our organization. We use it in combination with SCCM and ServiceNow to be able to prove the growing needs of our department and the current issues that our systems teams need to address.,Uptime reporting Memory Utilization reporting CPU Utilization reporting Managing and sending alerts,Adding servers is not as intuitive as I'd like. It seems like there are multiple places to add, but only one method is correct. There's a learning curve for new users to have to get past in understanding the administrative portions. Sleeping email alerts for times during maintenance windows is not something we have gotten fully worked out.,7,Reporting to the upper level management team and to the business side of our company has become a lot easier in using the reporting between SCCM and SolarWinds. It also has made patching windows far easier to maintain as all other teams can check to see when machines are restarted and back up from the patching and do not have to use a separate tool.,Between our various tools, SolarWinds tends to be the bottom line on our discoveries that we check. We usually compare the discoveries made in SolarWinds to other tools to see if the other tools at our disposable are picking up the machines we need. SolarWinds tends to be the one that pulls in the most systems.,CPU utilization, disk space, and memory utilization were always hard to report to our teams so that the server maintenance team could clear issues away and have full information on what needed work. They now receive the alerts to ensure they have the information at their disposal and no longer have any excuse to not fix these problems before they cause more issues.,Reporting has been easier and more consistent. Alerting is allowing our teams to always have the information they need for remediations. SolarWinds has a lot of capabilities other tools do as well, but it allows us to cross-check our information from other programs as well.SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor perfect for monitoring applications and servers for issuesWe use SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor to monitor all of our servers and the applications they run. I will let us know if there is an error with any application we have running and we can set up alerts to notify us that there is an issue via email and MMS message with the details we set up in the alert.,It has some out of the box commonly used application monitors for Windows It has some out of the box commonly used application monitors for Linux You can set up custom application monitors for Windows systems You can set up custom application monitors for Linux systems,I wish there was more out of the box Linux application monitors I wish it could communicate with TR-069 for monitoring our LTE,9,We mostly have on-premises server systems. We also sell cloud environment for our customers and monitor that as well for issues. We also monitor our customers modems and phone equipment for issues and when they go down. We often know about an issue before they do and are already troubleshooting to resolve issues.,At this time we do not use the automated discovery function of Solarwinds Server & Application Manager,We have used this function to tweak our performance required systems onto our Fastest storage and been able to reclaim some unused CPU and RAM from other machines.,Recently we have put in place an alert to notify us when a user gets locked out. This in turn tells us they are locked out before they usually even know it and we can quickly unlock them for less downtime. Our chat in the company often will not start all services after updates on a server we set up a notification on that tells us that services are not running allowing us to get it up and working before users even come in for work. Our dialer also frequently will not start services after server updates. We setup a notification to alert us when this happens so that we can fix the issue before our users that use the dialer even know there is a problem preventing downtime.,,We use it to monitor all our applications for issues We use it to monitor all our servers for updates needed We monitor all our servers for certificates that are about to expire We monitor all our servers for low disk space We set up alerts for critical issues on our applications and server issues,Product Features Product Usability Prior Experience with the Product Vendor Reputation Existing Relationship with the Vendor,9,20,2,Set up alerts to notify us when users get locked out during normal business hours. This cuts down on calls. Use it to monitor our certificate expire dates so we can stay ahead and not have downtime on our websites due to certificates expiring Use it to monitor updates that need to be deployed on our critical servers. this way we can see if we need to plan maintenance for update installation,As we get more and more Linux servers we will be able to monitor processes on those systems. We could monitor for excessive password changes in the environment to see if there has been a breach.,9,SharePoint Designer, Juniper Ethernet Switches, Solarwinds Database Performance Analyzer for SQL Server, Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance, Veeam Backup & Replication, WatchGuard XTM - Discontinued Product,No,I do not think I would change anything we have not had really any issues with the product as well as when we did support has gone as far as to get their engineers on the phone for a call to figure out the best way to monitor a solution we have in place.,No,10,No,We were trying to monitor our LTE wireless which does not communicate through SNMP. We set up a call with our LTE provider and SolarWinds to be able to monitor this system. They were able to provide 3 or more different ways to monitor the system when they got their engineers on the phone with us.,Updating the software was very easy and they went as far as to update all the other products at the same time now so its less time consuming Easy to set up and you can scan your systems for applications that are running on servers and SAM will auto monitor them with default out of the box selection.,Monitoring Linux systems can be difficult but that may be because i do not have much experience in linux systemsSolarWinds is an interesting system for keeping the place from burning down.We are using the server and application monitor to ensure high performance to our end users. We utilize it to track down performance issues, hardware issues and network issues before the users are able to see the issue. Our end users are very sensitive to performance slowdowns, and with our VDI infrastructure, if one user sees an issue, they all do.,In depth monitoring. You can monitor practically any portion of a virtual or physical server. Easy to read front page. Once the front page is configured, broad issues can be found early for further investigation. Constant updates. New updates are always available for whatever you are monitoring.,Price. It's a good product, but they know it. Complications. It can be intense to learn every nook and cranny of the product to get the most out of it. Speed. While we do not have it running on the fastest hardware, it can be laggy.,7,We are only using on-prem systems at this time. While the features and capability of monitoring hosting and cloud technology is appreciated, at this time, we are not using it.,We have benefited, as it's pointed out several issues with performance that we'd have either never noticed, or would have had to dig very deep to find. Discovery is less optimal, but I don't believe it's SolarWinds' fault. I believe that there is little unification between the different platforms, which makes discovery needlessly difficult.,We have benefitted, as we have an environment with several vendor types spread across multiple sites. Since each vendor has it's own monitoring solution, it's very beneficial to be able to look into the full stack to determine the issue. Without that capability, finding the problem would have been nearly impossible.,It's difficult to put into numbers, as the network admin.,vRealize Operations
Windows
SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Reviews

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor
Filter 244 vetted SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor reviews and ratings

Jennifer Aguilar profile photo
January 22, 2019

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Review: "SAM oh SAM, go get SAM to save your BACON"

• Triggered Alerts
  • Custom Thresholds
  • Integration with IIS, Exchange, Active Directory out of the box!
  • Top 10 Lists - Monitored,
  • Integrationg with Orion
  • I would like to see SolarWinds Server & Application monitor have 2 modes or themes available; day time or what you currently have available. I would like to see a second option available, a dark theme.
  • I would like to see SolarWinds Server & Application monitor to allow for unlimited nodes and applications to be monitored with a base license. The end user is responsible for resources!
  • I would like to see SolarWinds Server & Application monitor have additional configuration features available to the end user on the Settings page. For example, SMTP configuration specifically for SAM.
I can't think of a scenario where SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor would not be appropriate! You get so much out of this tool with very little effort. SAM is another set of eyes in my environment. I pair SAM with NetFlow and to get a great understanding of the data flows in my environment. I have set up custom application monitors for almost every component running, and are using the Windows Time Skew App monitor constructed by SolarWinds. There are so many great templates already created for the end user. When you get good enough, you can configure your own template and share with the THWACK community and other SolarWinds users. The greatest thing about SolarWinds in general; the end users drive the products!
Read Jennifer Aguilar's full review
stephen schleeper profile photo
December 21, 2018

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor: "No nonsense review of SolarWinds"

• Monitor voice network and quality
  • Monitor exchange databases
  • Monitor network connectivity
  • Server uptime
  • The ability to remove modules without having to rebuild the whole system. The recent test of WPM has shown that when using the trial version it becomes embedded and difficult to remove all parts
  • The requirement for 3.5 dot net. The system is old and should be updated.
  • I like the SolarWinds help group, but sometimes you don’t get replies for weeks regarding some of the more obscure problems. Easier to open tickets than have to wait for help from others.
The phones are the number one priority in the company. We can get anything else done on paper so long as we can get the calls. I can monitor call volume and quickly search call failures with the SolarWinds applications. This is done in both real-time and call detail records. This ability, along with the network monitoring of all the routers and switches, makes this tool invaluable.
Read stephen schleeper's full review
Kay Peek profile photo
November 17, 2018

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Review: "SolarWinds alerts free up our time from constant reporting."

• Uptime reporting
  • Memory Utilization reporting
  • CPU Utilization reporting
  • Managing and sending alerts
  • Adding servers is not as intuitive as I'd like. It seems like there are multiple places to add, but only one method is correct.
  • There's a learning curve for new users to have to get past in understanding the administrative portions.
  • Sleeping email alerts for times during maintenance windows is not something we have gotten fully worked out.
SolarWinds has served us well for reporting and making sure those outside the IT domain have the information they need and want for assessing our situation but in a domain with untrusted subdomains, it does have issues with permissions. That is more of an issue with our particular setup than the tool as multiple tools we use have those issues, but an issue nonetheless.
Read Kay Peek's full review
Ryhlen Schoeberl profile photo
November 06, 2018

Review: "SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor perfect for monitoring applications and servers for issues"

• It has some out of the box commonly used application monitors for Windows
  • It has some out of the box commonly used application monitors for Linux
  • You can set up custom application monitors for Windows systems
  • You can set up custom application monitors for Linux systems
  • I wish there was more out of the box Linux application monitors
  • I wish it could communicate with TR-069 for monitoring our LTE
We use SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor to monitor our Lync servers (Edge Frontend and Proxy Server) SharePoint servers, our auto dialer systems, Exchange servers for application issues and alert us if there is a possible issue. We also monitor our certificates for expiration, as well as we get notified when a user is locked out via a custom monitor I set up. We also monitor for low disk space as well as CPU usage and ram usage to alert us if we need to increase resources on a server.
Read Ryhlen Schoeberl's full review
Brandon Koehler profile photo
October 19, 2018

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Review: "SolarWinds is an interesting system for keeping the place from burning down."

• In depth monitoring. You can monitor practically any portion of a virtual or physical server.
  • Easy to read front page. Once the front page is configured, broad issues can be found early for further investigation.
  • Constant updates. New updates are always available for whatever you are monitoring.
  • Price. It's a good product, but they know it.
  • Complications. It can be intense to learn every nook and cranny of the product to get the most out of it.
  • Speed. While we do not have it running on the fastest hardware, it can be laggy.
It is well suited to heterogeneous environments with a mix of different server brands, types and software. If you have a single vendor solution, generally, that vendor's monitoring solution will be more appropriate. It also helps to have someone familiar with the software teach you how to use it, as it can be difficult to learn and tune on your own.
Read Brandon Koehler's full review
Sudhakar B profile photo
February 01, 2019

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Review: "Best Server and Application Monitoring Tool"

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor is used to monitor the Compute (Servers) in our Datacenter. It monitors our critical servers where just ping check is inadequate. These applications help us monitor the server plus critical applications such as DNS, DHCP, AD. The advantage is that this application can monitor Linux, which can be complicated at times. This also enables us to view the status in a single pane. We use SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor to monitor our multiple SQL databases.
  • Linux Monitoring -- Really helps with Linux server monitoring. There are inbuilt application monitoring templates for Apache Tomcat which we leverage.
  • Windows Monitoring -- Helps to monitor AD, DNS, DHCP, High CPU, memory utilization.
  • Single dashboard monitoring of all our servers.
  • The Server & Application Monitor has a dependency with another SolarWinds module, which is the Network Performance Monitor.
  • The dashboard can get too crowded if the number of servers is more. We monitor more than 500 servers in a single dashboard. Sometimes the hostnames overlap, causing confusion.
  • An agent is required to be added to all servers.
This is the best server and application monitoring system. This is very robust as well. We use additional SolarWinds modules, such as Network Performance Monitor and Netflow Traffic Analyzer, which actually add more value to our monitoring system. We depend on this monitoring system to monitor our critical production servers on a day-to-day basis. This has helped us to keep the "Lights ON."
Read Sudhakar B's full review
Nathan Tennant profile photo
October 05, 2018

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Review: "SolarWinds Across the Enterprise"

Currently it is deployed to monitor our IT infrastructure. We use it to monitor the network, servers, virtual infrastructure, services, UPS, workstations and printers. This monitoring is across the entire organization though other departments are not currently using or monitoring these resources. We are attempting to define customer pain points and proactively monitor for the causes of those pain-points. In addition we use SolarWinds to help us efficiently resolve issues in a re-active situation such as site outages or unplanned service outages.
  • Netflow information and configuration management of network devices works really well for us. As these two comprise two of the core products of SolarWinds Orion suite it's good that it does this
  • SAM (Application manager) Provides excellent insight into services and service states and is very customizable.
  • Support community is excellent (THWACK) as is the available free training from the SolarWinds Customer Portal. Which is good, you're going to need it due to the depth and complexity of the software suites.
  • SolarWinds Orion is not just one product. It's a bunch of cobbled together products gained from acquisitions. Because of that finding a standard way to manage devices is difficult, and understanding one product is no guarantee of understanding another.
  • The pane of glass that is Orion is very customizable. It is based on widgets but none of the widgets operate in a predictable way. There may be one that does what you want but you are going to have to find it and you will probably have to try 4 before you find one you like for what you are looking to do. A huge time-sync
  • The network-atlas software that lets you put your Orion objects in a visual layout is terrible. Right down to what you can set as defaults for fonts or labels and all the way to stability it is terrible.
We have found it very useful for monitoring static devices, less useful for monitoring devices that are mobile or change often. So it's been really good for infrastructure devices, less so for end-users and end-user devices.
Read Nathan Tennant's full review
Dan Watson profile photo
January 23, 2019

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Review: "SolarWinds SAM made me more productive and proactive."

Our department (IT) primarily uses SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor to ensure key servers and services stay up and running. As a bonus, I use the performance monitoring tools to judge how servers are performing, determine where more (virtual) hardware is needed, and show executives and developers how the hardware is not bottlenecking the software.
  • Monitoring - I can easily use built-in templates for most things, but I can also easily create custom monitors for things that are more unique to my environment.
  • Alerting - It takes some work to get it exactly right, but you can tune your alerts to ensure you are not crying wolf.
  • Application insights - the templates for monitoring Exchange and SQL performance really allow you to quickly and easily pinpoint and attack problem areas in these critical applications.
  • Licensing - while the model is simple, it can be frustrating. New features, like AppInsight, use a ton of "monitors" so you will always need/want to upgrade to the next level. The difference in licenses/pricing can be startling. For example, if you need 301 you have to buy 700. Finding more flexibility here would make happier customers.
  • Sales - the sales team is unnecessarily aggressive in their tactics. They will call and email every listed contact they can find repeatedly offering account reviews, quarter end sales, etc.
Anywhere you have servers and applications, you should be monitoring them. SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor provides so much peace-of-mind that I cannot recommend it enough.
Read Dan Watson's full review
Valery Mezentsau profile photo
December 20, 2018

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Review: "Big and complex infrastructure - SAM is your choice."

The company I was working for had a fully virtual data center (DC) located in a third party cloud provider. Cloud hoster was providing full admin access to the SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor solution to control, monitor and analyze the state of our virtual data center. Application was used by the IT engineering team.
  • Huge variety of options for monitoring.
  • Flexible configuration.
  • infrastructure mapping.
  • Performance and storage monitoring.
  • Single console for virtualized assets management.
  • Alert management.
  • Integration with other solutions for better monitoring and control.
  • More details on monitoring Exchange, SQL, IIS, etc.
  • In most cases, the interface is overloaded with information that is not important for quick monitoring check and takes time to understand all the functions.
Very good solution. Tons of options and features. Very detailed monitoring of the infrastructure. But extremely expensive. We were using the solution just because our virtual DC provider had that solution implemented and provided access for free as part of services.
Read Valery Mezentsau's full review
Anthony Bouvier profile photo
December 09, 2018

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Review: "SAMs best at Monitoring, Alerting and Troubleshooting our environments issues."

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor (SAM) is used across our entire environment - monitoring all servers and providing alerts and information to multiple departments. This addresses and confirms if issues are seen with systems and assists in the troubleshooting at various levels. We also use SAM to provide alerts to application owners and impacted parties to ensure issues are resolved in a timely manner.
  • Provides up/down/reboot notifications via customizable alerts to impacted parties
  • Provides insight on exchange, sql and other environments to assist with troubleshooting
  • Provides historical and forecasting data that can be used to assist with resource or server issues
  • Better seamless integration with vcenter, as in an api plugin
  • Better linkage for virtualization within the home page
  • Better details available for VMs
[Well suited] for customization for alerting; SAM is very versatile and allows very granular alerting and monitoring solutions. With the ability to provide app insight with our Exchange and SQL environments, we are able to drill down to issues and provide valuable data to resolve application problems as they are happening. We also like to use the forecasting ability to ensure that our end users are aware if there will be resource issues forthcoming.
Read Anthony Bouvier's full review
Ashton Bellah profile photo
November 09, 2018

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Review: "Great product, still room for improvement."

I use SAM to monitor servers for 10 offices nationwide. It has allowed me to have the best monitoring platform around, in addition to the ability to automate numerous tasks I would find myself doing in past roles. For instance we use it to automate the power down cycle of servers when a Battery Backup sends a 25% remaining power alert to ensure protection of our data in the event of a power outage.
  • Monitoring individual services.
  • AppInsight for applications.
  • Automation of tasks.
  • Better integration with mapping the network. We are not a fan of Network Topology Mapper.
  • Better insights for SQL without buying another add-on.
  • Seems the focus is on adding new applications to sell instead of improving the current lineup.
It's a phenomenal solution for small- and mid-sized firms with a smaller IT group due to it's ability to deploy so quickly and easily.
Read Ashton Bellah's full review
Todd Warner profile photo
February 01, 2019

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Review: "Great product"

We use SolarWinds to monitor our servers in our data centers and alert the techs when there is a problem.
  • Alerting, it does a great job of letting our techs know when there is a problem and the severity of it.
  • We use Netpath to monitor a path to a monitored server and look for issues along that path
  • We use it to monitor our wireless infrastructure.
  • I would like to see the web interface respond faster, at times it can become sluggish.
Well suited for monitoring servers/devices when they go up or down. Would like to see the mapping expanded a bit more.
Read Todd Warner's full review
Brian O'Connor profile photo
January 23, 2019

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Review: "Great inventory finding tool and performance notifications"

I have used SolarWinds products over the years, both free and paid. I've been involved in many network deployments, migrations and performance troubleshooting issues. SolarWinds products do a real nice job of finding all of your network assets, inventorying them and keeping a track on the possible issues going on.

The products only get better as development grows. Its a great visual tool to analyze your network and get notified when your assets are unavailable. There are other free tools out there to do this, but Server monitor takes care of everything you can think of.
  • Notification of down assets.
  • CPU and memory performance monitoring.
  • Pricing
Taking inventory and notifying of availability.
Read Brian O'Connor's full review
Zack Davis profile photo
January 22, 2019

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor: "AM Review"

We utilize SAM to monitor windows scheduled tasks that run many of our application. We also utilize its reporting to gauge elasticity.
  • Alerts on failed tasks.
  • Helps us plan for disk space growth.
  • Aid in analyzing over/under utilization of system resources.
  • Maintenance on keeping things clean is time consuming.
SAM is great for predicting disk space growth and planning for the future. We are able to analyze our growth over a period of time and make assessments for the future.
Read Zack Davis's full review
Rychar Nelson profile photo
August 30, 2018

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Review: "Solarwinds Server and App Monitor Critique"

Solarwinds Server and Application is currently being used by the IT Systems Engineering team of the IT Department. It is used to monitor the health, services and statistics of all infrastructure devices and web servers across the organization.
  • Solarwinds monitors physical and virtual equipment
  • The setup is quick and its easy to get going for small to mid-size organizations
  • Monitoring of virtual infrastructure equipment. More options than the following.
Solarwinds is well suited for our webserver environment. It detects and monitors the health of the webservers and the virtual load balancer. It monitors the services collectively across the web servers.

In Scenarios where attempting monitoring from Cloud/on-premise or on-premise/cloud deployments. This application needs further work.
Read Rychar Nelson's full review
Ben Parker profile photo
August 24, 2018

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Review: "SolarWinds App Monitoring Helped Us"

The application is being used to allow myself and my team to leverage real time data to analyze and predict how our server farm is working.
  • Allows us to see potential issues arising from resource utilization
  • Clean interface
  • In depth data
  • UI could use updating
  • Not as user-friendly as could be
It is well suited for seeing which of our servers is under heavy stress and may fail.
Read Ben Parker's full review
Jamie Webster profile photo
August 22, 2018

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Review: "SolarWinds SAM is a great addition to the Windows monitoring platform"

We use SAM to monitor application and server health across the entire organization. Email alerts can easily be customized to let us know when an application service is down or not behaving up to expectations.
  • Monitor services
  • Monitor Active Directory health
  • Some of the pre-built templates could be improved upon, perhaps with a wizard-style approach for which metrics would like to be monitored within a template
A Windows environment is perfect for SAM
Read Jamie Webster's full review
Khamsay Phimmasanh-Baig profile photo
December 09, 2018

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Review: "Love at first SAM"

I use SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor at our Cranston, RI location only. I use it to monitor our exchange environment. I love the mailbox quota alerts.
  • Users By % Mailbox Quota Used is great for notifying users to archive.
  • Mailbox Database Size and Space Use is great for monitoring your DB size quickly and the alerts are a plus.
  • Critical Processes and Services is great because it shows the health status... I check it daily and have alerts set to notify me if there are any warnings.
  • I would like to add a widget for "Users By % Mailbox Quota Used" to my SolarWinds home page summary dashboard but this option is not available.
  • More widgets for alerts.
  • Cisco Jabber integration would be nice.
SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor is well suited when you need to quickly get health status of your critical applications.

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor is less appropriate for small environments because you can get out-of-the-box alerts from Exchange. Too expensive for small environments.
Read Khamsay Phimmasanh-Baig's full review
Eric Moore profile photo
August 15, 2018

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Review: "Great module and addition to your SW suite of tools"

We use it to keep an eye on key services and systems for possible bottlenecks choking the environment
  • Tight integration with their network performance monitor
  • customizability of alerts
  • customizable dashboard so I can see only what matters to me and hide all the other "stuff"
  • Fantastic user resources aka Thwak
  • A tighter tie-in with O365
I think it's a key tool that should be in every IT department
Read Eric Moore's full review
Jeff Allen profile photo
November 09, 2018

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Review: "Out of the box SAM is great! Can't wait to fully deploy and watch the magic happen"

To be honest we do not have this fully deployed and configured as we have not had the time. Out of the box I am using it as a monitor and alert system to notify me when things are not consistent or available.

• Monitoring-I am able to set trends based on how I expect my equipment to run.
  • Reporting-I can pull up reporting for trends to see when things are not in alignment.
  • Alerting-I can be alerted or notified if something is out of balance or unavailable.
  • None that I can think of until we fully deploy it.
Again, not fully deployed. Where it has made a big impact is visibility of our exchange server, SQL server, and virtualization to prevent issues from rising during the production day. I will note that SAM brought to my attention a server that was using up way too many resources for its role, and after investigating, we identified the server was hacked.
Read Jeff Allen's full review
Long Ha profile photo
September 07, 2018

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Review: "Good for front end monitoring tool - but still need improvement for back end root monitoring"

We use SAM for our monitoring tool. We have applications across the company that we feel this product is a good tool for.
  • SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor does well by monitoring the key resources and applications.
  • However, I would suggest that SolarWinds to add a feature that allows you to enable/disable particular resources and not currently as a whole package.
Again, inside the resources feature, you can't individually select the resource you want to monitor and don't want to monitor. There are duplicated resources within other packages, but you can't break apart.
Read Long Ha's full review
February 01, 2019

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Review: "SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor -- come out of the dark and see the light!"

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor is used by various IT departments across the organization. It provides invaluable insight into the servers and applications that we manage. It helps prevent problems and issues by allowing us to be proactive rather than reactive to problems. We can prevent or react to problems faster so that our client's experience is improved and downtime is reduced or eliminated. The high-level dashboard views in SAM are fantastic for presenting to management and senior leadership. An excellent resource!
  • SAM has excellent out-of-the-box templates for monitoring common applications and services. These are easily adaptable to your own needs, and the THWACK community provided templates give you even more options!
  • The SolarWinds interface is intuitive and easy to use. Even though the options and depth of configuration are very customizable, it never feels overwhelming. The help and documentation are top-notch.
  • Naturally a rooter for the underdog, I was skeptical of SolarWinds at first, as it holds a huge market share. However, after using this product for several years, it is clear why it is the market leader. Fantastic product and it is continually improving! Customer feedback and suggestions are taken seriously.
  • SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor is a super product, but it could use a simplified way of configuring user permissions. It is very granular and powerful, but it would be nice to have some pre-configured roles.
  • Automatic Load balancing of polling server workload would be a great added feature.
  • They ask for three improvements, but honestly, I can only think of 2!
SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor is well suited to monitoring your server infrastructure as well as your applications. It seems well suited to small and enterprise level businesses. However, very small companies may be able to use some other tools which are less expensive or free and be able to get all that they need. That being said, if you're enterprise-class, then you need the enterprise-class monitoring SAM provides. There is a reason SolarWinds is #1.
November 02, 2018

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Review: "SAM Can Be Your Friend Too"

SAM and I go way back. It's been used to monitor the health of MS Exchange 2013 and 2016. I've used it successfully to keep an eye on MS SQL servers and IIS applications. That's not all I've done with SAM. We use it to get daily disk space reports, trends, forecasts on usage, and to look at how system resources are affected by new application installs. Everything. It keeps us ahead of the curve.
  • Easy to configure over other solutions. Works with the built in MS SQL Express. Easy to migrate to SQL standard if needed.
  • Easy out of the box reports. Most of what you want to know is there from the get-go. Sometimes you need a different angle and the report writer is your friend.
  • Alerting isn't confusing. Other products sometimes don't make sense when they send an alert out. SolarWinds SAM can tell you exactly what is up, down, warned, and you can link the alert message right to the node with the problem. Get email. Click. There. Simple.
  • While it is generally easy to get going with SAM and the Orion platform, getting into the weeds can be difficult and overwhelming.
  • SAM opens the door to monitoring and reporting on a verity of things. I think Orion is designed to leave things out so you buy more.
  • Fine tuning thresholds can be confusing. SolarWinds defaults on somethings that don't make sense in a real environment. But not all environments are the same. They could give you more guidance.
Perfect for Windows and Microsoft environments. It can monitor Linux as well. It will definitely help ID where a problem is occurring or might occur. SAM gives visibility into the health and behavior of servers and applications where simply looking at logs and CPU isn't enough to get a full picture. SolarWinds is great at trending data.
February 01, 2019

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Review: "SAM keep an eye on the little things"

We use SolarWinds SAM to monitor over 100 servers. Our IT team is able to check on server and service status on all servers across the network. SAM allows us to keep an automated eye on critical and non-critical services. Knowing a service has gone down before the calls come flooding in can keep us ahead of the game. We also have benchmarks to see how those services are performing.
  • SolarWinds keeps an eye on all of the various services we need to keep track of. DHCP, DNS, Radius, HTTPS, SQL...all running under an automated observer. Find out something is slowing down or failing BEFORE the client calls come in.
  • Integration into the Orion suite allows SolarWinds to provide more information to the node stack. DPA lets us see the database, NPM the network and SAM the server service. Get a quick glance at where to start troubleshooting
  • SolarWinds has a ton of canned services to monitor. There's little setup involved to get a DHCP monitor up and running. Server & Application Monitor also includes the ability to add in custom services if you can't find the one you're looking for.
  • Initial set up is easy. So easy that you can flood your views with services you didn't need to know about because you "checked all."
  • Canned templates can be vague as to what they are monitoring.
  • Views of the information range from overwhelming lists to graphs lacking depth.
When working with large data centers, people don't have time to peruse every log or check the status of all the services. Small businesses are unlikely to see enough return on the cost.
January 25, 2019

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Review: "Easy to use product at a reasonable price!!"

We use SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor (SAM) to monitor and support three airports' IT systems. Our operations team uses it to help with system and application availability. SAM keeps track of the physical status of our servers and watches the network traffic generated by the applications running on them. It allows us to know in real time if we have any issues with Windows itself, hardware, services running under Windows, and applications themselves. We can then take steps to solve issues before it becomes a more serious issue.
  • A wide variety of applications and OSs supported.
  • Easy to use interface that is web-based.
  • Large built-in scripting library and the ability to import scripts.
  • Added monitoring abilities for SQL, Exchange, and IIS.
  • The product is a resource hog. The CPU, RAM, and database bloat need to be improved.
  • Not a ton of support for Linux.
  • This product requires NPM as well to give you full insight into a machine and its performance.
  • Canned reports are not great, you will need to customize to get what you want/need.
We wanted to be able to monitor all systems and applications from a single source using a solution that was easy to maintain and manage for all users. Since implementing SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor (SAM), we have added onto it with the suite of SolarWinds products that have enhanced the monitoring of our network and provided more insight into issues. As well as help us discover issues before they impact our end-users. Our uptime is better than our previous solutions due to the fact that SAM can monitor applications and provide historical data to make alerting decisions.

Application monitoring (118)
Database monitoring (100)
Threshold alerts (119)
Predictive capabilities (101)
6.4
Application performance management console (103)
Collaboration tools (65)
5.5
Out-of-the box templates to monitor applications (111)
Application dependency mapping and thresholding (96)
Virtualization monitoring (103)
Server availability and performance monitoring (116)
Server usage monitoring and capacity forecasting (112)
IT Asset Discovery (83)

About SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor (SAM) delivers application and server monitoring capabilities for IT pros enabling them to diagnose and troubleshoot issues faster. The vendor’s value proposition is that this solution prevents slow applications and downtime from impacting end-users and business services. Users can use this tool to pinpoint the root cause of application issues across various layers of the IT stack.

The vendor says SolarWinds SAM is affordable, easy to deploy, use and customize. Users can automatically discover their systems environment and start monitoring in about an hour. No professional services or consultation needed.

SAM is built on SolarWinds Orion® platform enabling native integration with Network Performance Monitor and other IT management software from SolarWinds.

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Features

Has featureSingle Web interface to monitor multi-vendor applications and server infrastructure.
Has featureOut-of-the-box monitoring templates for 200+ enterprise applications.
Has featureEasily extend monitoring to virtually any custom or home-grown applications.
Has featureGain contextual visibility of relationships and dependencies between applications and physical and virtual servers.
Has featureMonitor server hardware health, perform capacity forecasting, and manage asset inventory. Remediate server issues remotely with built-in management actions.
Has featureMonitor VMware and Hyper-V environments to identify problems impacting application performance.
Has featureCentrally manage IT asset inventory and keep track of server hardware and software information.
Has featureLeverage the wealth of built-in alerts and reports, and easily customize them as needed.
Has featureSAM is an agentless monitoring software. Optional agent installation extends monitoring to the cloud.

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Screenshots

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Videos (2)

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Downloadables

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Integrations

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Competitors

WhatsUp Gold, Nagios, IBM Tivoli Monitoring, CA APM, Microsoft System Center, SiteScope (formerly HP SiteScope), ManageEngine Applications Manager

SAM pricing starts at $2,995.

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Support Options