Overall Satisfaction with SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor
We use Server and Application Monitor to provide us a greater in-depth analysis of our IIS, FTP, Exchange applications, DHCP servers, DNS services, our Active Directory and Sharepoint amongst others. Using the results, we can pinpoint bottlenecks in performance for services, app pools, and other applications. This helps us spend less time trying to figure out the root cause and more time fixing the issue.
- Server and Application Monitor does a great job with analyzing our Exchange environment and notifies us if there are issues with replication, the Information Store and other essential components of our email system.
- For our DHCP service, Server and Application Monitor alerts us if there are IP conflicts, errors with the DHCP service or if scopes are nearly exhausted.
- Server and Application Monitor Excels with providing information on the amount of web traffic our sites receive. It tracks the performance of essential web services and pinpoints bottlenecks.
- Implementing a custom monitor can be cumbersome and frustrating.
- Monitoring a lot of services can be taxing on your system.
- Would like to see more SolarWinds approved templates available.
- SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor have provided us more time to focus on other projects by accurately pinpointing the root cause of problems. This has saved us a tremendous amount of "worker hours" that are spent on other projects and day to day activities.
- When our company recently went live with a new web application, we received reports that parts of the application were not performing as well as other parts. A process in the application that was used to generate reports had seen a reduction in performance by over 125% We used SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor and determined that a particular app pool was not getting the appropriate resources needed for the load it was experiencing. We provided the suggested amount of resources and performance returned to normal.
The only other monitoring tools I have used in the past were the built-in Windows performance monitoring tools which are very cumbersome and overwhelming. SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor allow you to accurately pinpoint problem areas quickly without having to spend hours sifting through Windows Event Logs. You quickly find out what the problem and then fix it.
It is well suited for monitoring IIS Websites and keeping track of associated components like app pools, expiring certificates, With Server and Application Monitor, you can detect and be alerted when app pools have degraded. It also allows you to see how much resources an app pool uses so that you can make a decision on increasing the resources.