In the world of IT this should be a standard tool, at least in any Windows environmenthttps://www.trustradius.com/data-integrationSQL Server Integration ServicesUnspecified81901012019-07-07T20:52:52.881Z
July 07, 2019
In the world of IT this should be a standard tool, at least in any Windows environment
Score 10 out of 101
Overall Satisfaction with SQL Server Integration Services
Even though we are a smaller company, we use this huge army Swiss knife to accomplish a number of technical IT tasks. First and foremost we use it to integrate systems like MS CRM and SAP, constantly enhancing the data flow and making tasks easier to accomplish for the users. Secondly, I personally use it clean up data and maintaining my BI ETL scripts running out 12-year-old data warehouse for our analysis cube. The actual tool is currently only in use by the IT department by using Visual Studio (BIDS).
- Almost no programming is needed, like drawing simple flow diagrams.
- If you want to be more advanced you can add some VB or C# programming if needed.
- Microsoft tool using all the great connectors, using any data source
- Easy to add a third part like Cozyroc
- File handling
- Integration with office tools could always be improved, MS, as usual, provides these 80% solutions to make room for third vendors.
- Error message or event handling, better messages and link to processes.
- Like any IT department, we almost always have an MS SQL license and therefore also access to this tool, though the free version also works just fine with a little less functionality.
- Makes things like data cleaning or integration easy.
- Scheduling and running SISS jobs can be done in many ways, very flexible.
- Negative. I would say source control is difficult, there’s no elegant solution.
It’s basically a free tool and it has more features than anyone would ever need. If you look online for answers for SISS packages you will find a world of information that can cover almost any situation for your business. This tool can be used in any business and it provides the flexibility to integrate into any system or database or data source.
You can, of course, accidentally make sloppy code or workflows but it’s not a tools issue if you run packages in an inefficient way. With a company of our size, we never had any performance issues but I can imagine for larger companies that this will have a greater focus.
In my opinion, this tool should be an IT department’s main tool for integrating and cleaning data for the business. It’s so simple to use and so simple to learn so there is no excuse.
Any integration tasks in a Windows environment like AD or application integration, DB integration, etc. The drag and drop workflow and easy language, for example, derived data changes are so easy to make that it reminds of Excel functions. Full flexibility to draw up any workflow and easy troubleshooting using the data viewer.