Microsoft Dynamics CRM is a CRM system providing sales, marketing, and service (help desk) functionality. It is offered in two flavors: Online (competing directly with Salesforce) and on-premise. The Microsoft Dynamics family of business applications includes other related products for ERP and retail management.Microsoft Dynamics 365 ReviewCurrently, we are using Microsoft Dynamics 365 in multiple departments, but not across our organization. We use it to track incoming client requests - from support to implementations. It allows those who are client-facing to be on one uniform application and to work more efficiently. We also use Dynamics to track KPI and SLA, amongst other metrics.,Everything is in the cloud which is great for our company as we have a lot of remote workers as well as travel. Certain solutions allow us to take a quick look at data. Business automation for certain workflows is helpful.,Very cumbersome to implement... a lot of options. Time-consuming. Learning how to get data is not always intuitive. There are a lot (hundreds) of options that I never use to gather data and metrics, instead, it's just overwhelming. The amount of customization available is both a blessing and a curse. The more customization, the more it seems to lag.,6,Automated workflow helps to avoid missed revenue.,,Ascentis HR, Microsoft Office 2016, Microsoft Office 365, Salesforce Analytics Cloud, Igloo, Citrix NetScaler Access Gateway, Google Drive, OneDriveHelps me with my sales dailyThe department I work with is Geographical Systems, and we produce maps and planning projections for the future. This department uses the software when other firms needs a thematic map or a heat map and we have the opportunity to schedule the work and prepare the product, even program the reviews of the products before I deliver the final result. With this software I could send emails, prepare meetings and add some important notes from calls and communications with the customers. These communications helps me to improve my work every day in order be more efficient on the sales.,Is very flexible with the use of a very large database. Integration with other products of Microsoft. I can customize apps from a third party.,Is a very slow software to work with. The learning curve is very steep to learn the software functionality. The customize software is very difficult and needs a IT expert to do it.,9,Helps me to concrete the sales and contacts with my clients Keep the whole package contract, project and invoice in one page The workflow is very simple once the automation of process are on,Zoho CRM,Google Analytics, Google Charts, Google ChartsDynamics 365 is a must!At my company, we use MS Dynamics 365 for a myriad of different applications and offerings. We use it to maintain a current list of contact information for current customers, as well as new leads and prospects who come in through our various business development programs. We also use it to process orders and generate quotes, using custom tools.,Database Integration with Outlook Integration with ClickDimensions Integration with social media,Ease of use User friendliness Customization,8,If we lost our data, we would potentially go under Dynamics has provided us with a database of prospects Definitely worth the spend,Salesforce.com,VMware Horizon View, NetApp All Flash FAS, SolidFire, Oracle Access Management, Pure Storage FlashArray, Software-Defined Data Center, IBM Cloud IaaS (formerly IBM Bluemix - IaaS)Well, it's not Salesforce. Hopefully it's less expensive.Microsoft Dynamics is the CRM we currently use at our business. It was the CRM that was in place when I joined the company, and it will likely be the CRM we will use for some time. We use it to track our sales pipelines and our existing customers. The primary business problem it solves it that it tracks information independently from the employee, so important information isn't lost when someone leaves.,The interface is relatively easy to navigate. For the most part, it can be customized and becomes as helpful as you want to put time into making it. The program is reliable and seems to be always available.,The sign in process is a complete mess. The "save" button is in the worst possible place on the screen, all alone in the bottom right corner. There are much fewer third party programs that are built to integrate with Dynamics when compared to Salesforce.,4,Dynamics has helped the sales team manage opportunities consistently across the team. Using Dynamics has limited our options for third party services that just aren't built to work with them. For the services that we do use that tie to Dynamics, it's obvious that we are one of their very few customers that are using Dynamics, which means we have more issues to deal with.,Salesforce.com and SugarCRM,Act-On Software, ToutApp, InsideSales.com Predictive Playbooks, LinkedIn Sales Navigator, Join.me, Zoom Video Webinar, ZoomInfoMicrosoft Dynamics 365 (formerly Microsoft Dynamics CRM) as the best adaptable business management solutionsI use this product across the whole organization to monitor system activity of users in Dynamics 365. This includes understanding which users are creating records and how many records they are creating. This also includes the same information on deleting, updating, and reading of records.,Field service module offers project management functionality through scheduling, routing, and work orders, as well as contract management, inventory, and return capabilities. Project service modules can offer improved productivity. With tools for project planning, resource scheduling, time and expense management, and service analytics, businesses can work smarter and gain better insight into their performance. The customer service module provides tools to help companies manage the support and retention phase of the customer lifecycle.,Ability to copy records is missing for most entities. Administrative management of user created/changed settings, views, charts and dashboards is missing.,8,For most businesses is protecting their sales and customer data – understanding the sales numbers and customer relationships that contribute to business revenue is critical for developing productive business strategies. The most successful businesses are already reaping the rewards by expanding on flexible cloud platforms and meeting customer demands in real-time by collecting comprehensive data, intelligently analyzing results and responding with sophisticated automation software. This product has helped to Unify business, and boost efficiency with automated tasks and workflows—all integrated within familiar Office tools like Outlook, Word, and Excel.
Windows
Microsoft Dynamics 365 (formerly Microsoft Dynamics CRM)

Microsoft Dynamics 365 Reviews

Microsoft Dynamics 365
Top Rated Award
Filter 426 vetted Microsoft Dynamics 365 reviews and ratings
Haley Lay profile photo
June 13, 2018

"Microsoft Dynamics 365 Review"

• Everything is in the cloud which is great for our company as we have a lot of remote workers as well as travel.
  • Certain solutions allow us to take a quick look at data.
  • Business automation for certain workflows is helpful.
  • Very cumbersome to implement... a lot of options. Time-consuming.
  • Learning how to get data is not always intuitive. There are a lot (hundreds) of options that I never use to gather data and metrics, instead, it's just overwhelming.
  • The amount of customization available is both a blessing and a curse. The more customization, the more it seems to lag.
It worked great for documenting client-facing requests in our large client base. Some of the workflows between implementation and billing have improved efficiencies and allowed us to avoid missed revenue. That said, there are also a lot of options and functions that are not applicable, and it would be great to be able to hide/remove things that aren't needed to avoid clutter and inefficiencies.
Read Haley Lay's full review
Yemsi Pino profile photo
August 24, 2018

Microsoft Dynamics 365 Review: "Helps me with my sales daily"

• Is very flexible with the use of a very large database.
  • Integration with other products of Microsoft.
  • I can customize apps from a third party.
  • Is a very slow software to work with.
  • The learning curve is very steep to learn the software functionality.
  • The customize software is very difficult and needs a IT expert to do it.
In my daily work with projects are very well suited scenario for the best functions of MS Dynamics 365, because I can schedule the project, program meetings to ensure the goals of the project and the advance at the schedule time of execution. Add notes according to the agreements reached with the customer. And keeping track of the project with programmed emails and sales campaigns. The less appropriate scenario I can't find one right now, all you can do is adapt the way of work to the software you're working with.
Read Yemsi Pino's full review
Brian Kedash profile photo
August 17, 2018

Microsoft Dynamics 365 Review: "Dynamics 365 is a must!"

• Database
  • Integration with Outlook
  • Integration with ClickDimensions
  • Integration with social media
  • Ease of use
  • User friendliness
  • Customization
Dynamics CRM is very well suited for storing and keeping current thousands upon thousands of customer and prospect records for contact information. We track our communications in CRM, and create quotes where the contact information is automatically populated by CRM. We also use this to generate statements of work through the document generation platform Intelledox.
Read Brian Kedash's full review
Layne Latham profile photo
August 07, 2018

Microsoft Dynamics 365 Review: "Well, it's not Salesforce. Hopefully it's less expensive."

• The interface is relatively easy to navigate.
  • For the most part, it can be customized and becomes as helpful as you want to put time into making it.
  • The program is reliable and seems to be always available.
  • The sign in process is a complete mess.
  • The "save" button is in the worst possible place on the screen, all alone in the bottom right corner.
  • There are much fewer third party programs that are built to integrate with Dynamics when compared to Salesforce.
I can only imagine that it is less expensive than Salesforce, or that it's too difficult to transition to another CRM, as I can't believe we still use it.
It's better than not having a CRM, and I'm sure there are worse programs, but if I were a new buyer choosing between Salesforce and Microsoft Dynamics, and the pricing was even remotely similar, I'd be buying Salesforce.
Read Layne Latham's full review
Johnn Karanja profile photo
September 11, 2018

Review: "Microsoft Dynamics 365 (formerly Microsoft Dynamics CRM) as the best adaptable business management solutions"

• Field service module offers project management functionality through scheduling, routing, and work orders, as well as contract management, inventory, and return capabilities.
  • Project service modules can offer improved productivity. With tools for project planning, resource scheduling, time and expense management, and service analytics, businesses can work smarter and gain better insight into their performance.
  • The customer service module provides tools to help companies manage the support and retention phase of the customer lifecycle.
  • Ability to copy records is missing for most entities.
  • Administrative management of user created/changed settings, views, charts and dashboards is missing.
Read Johnn Karanja's full review
December 03, 2018

Microsoft Dynamics 365 Review: "CRM - a great product!"

Microsoft Dynamics 365 is used across my department and has been for the last few years. We use the CRM tools to help us manage customer relationships and we use the ERP function to help us to help automate some of the back office functions we use in our research roles.
  • Very easy interface
  • Great customer service
  • I think that sometimes the displays are a bit hard to sift through
Microsoft Dynamics is super helpful in terms of how I conduct my business day to day. I am constantly interfacing with customers in my role of account management and it is important to have proper technology to help me do this as seamlessly and efficiently as possible. It is easy to use and the interface is pretty straight forward when you're used to it.
November 26, 2018

Microsoft Dynamics 365 Review: "Nothing is Better then Dynamics, total ROI"

We in our organization use Microsoft Dynamics as a primary CRM/ERP across the whole organization for drawing charts for deep data analysis. We use it for decision making. It allows us to access it from the web, PC and mobile devices simultaneously. We use it in our Finance, Field service Client Management and many more across each and every department.
  • Everything in one place such as Sales, Marketing, Finance, Field service, Customer Service, Operations and the automation which is not available in other products that are in the market right now.
  • Most likable thing is customer support of Dynamics which I didn't see any other ERP or CRM team provide.
  • It looks and feels kinda mashup of Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, etc then it's a bit difficult to use it with ease at the start.
  • The knowledge curve for the first time Microsoft product user is a little slower and challenging for the first time for the user who is not familiar with other Microsoft products
  • Calculated metrics such as Key Performance Indicators, ratios, etc.. are not as simple as I'd like within the tool Can be done. I don't like to use codes and scripts much.
There are no such scenarios to not to use Microsoft Dynamics because it is a complete package and there is not any other application on the market which gives that many features which can be used in each and every scenario. I will be a little biased here because I love Microsoft Dynamics and use it everywhere.
Kelly Ferriter profile photo
April 11, 2018

Microsoft Dynamics 365 Review: "We love this program!!!!!"

We are using it as supervisors for scheduled maintenance. It helps with organization and helps us when people call out. I find it useful because it allows for people with little to no knowledge of the system to be able to work with it when we are short staffed and it is not hard to teach as well.
  • organization of staffing in regards to who is at work, roles everyone is playing during the day
  • tasks that have been done, versus tasks that need to be done
  • easy to teach to new users
  • we have not run into an problems currently
We really enjoy this program, as I have stated before it is so easy to teach new users so it does not take away time from the day where our top people would need to be on the phones or meeting with clients, we can get this training done in a morning or two and then we have them up and running.
Read Kelly Ferriter's full review
May 23, 2018

Microsoft Dynamics 365 Review: "Dynamics 365 for Sales"

Our MS Dynamics 365 system is used by our Sales and Marketing department, as well as by senior leadership. We primarily use this system to manage our sales process, drive and report new revenue, and as a database for our lead generation and lead nurturing efforts.
  • The system is easy to customize to the meet business needs. The Dynamics 365 allows for setting up automated workflows, forms to capture additional data points, alerts, business processes, etc. all from within the UI, without the need for custom development.
  • MS Dynamics 365 has native integration with other Microsoft products (Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.) which makes the system generally user-friendly as many users are familiar with Microsoft's product suite.
  • Customer support in system updates could be much better. The latest major system update our organization implemented resulted in many complications that took a long time to resolve.
  • The system could be better in scalability as it is often tedious for the user to make mass changes through the Dynamics 365 UI.
If your organization is already using other Microsoft products, has many customization needs, and has a limited user base, Dynamics 365 might be a great fit. If your organization will be able to get by with Out-Of-The-Box functionality of other CRM systems and is using non-Microsoft products, another more cost-effective CRM might be a better choice. If you want a large scale, full-fledged CRM platform for a large number of end users you might want to look into Salesforce.
February 09, 2018

Microsoft Dynamics 365: "MS Dynamics (online) review"

We used MS Dynamics as a customized CRM system on various campaigns depending on client preferences. Only alternative was Salesforce. Dynamics helped us to keep the whole chain of sales executives up to date on what is happening with a specific account, as we are a global organisation, and multiple executives from multiple regions have to work on the same account, additionally the client's team has to have access to the records as well.
  • overview of previous outreaches to a specific account
  • customization of design and data transfer to the next level of the sales process, making easy for the next person to take over
  • clean user interface, not overwhelming amount of information on one page
  • quicker and more user friendly than competing products (based on my opinion and xp)
  • it can be heavy for older machines, which is problematic for businesses which do not need the latest hardware; running in the background it could slow down other processes
  • like every other SaaS solution it crashes from time to time, it has to be more clear why, so people can address the problem to the IT dep responsible for the support
  • often there is a redundancy of needed information so many things have to be filled out twice until you cane save the activity
I have used Sugar CRM and Salesforce, where the first one is very easy to use but very limited in functionality, and the second one can do everything but gets very confusing for the user. MS Dynamics gives the perfect balance between both.
December 28, 2017

Microsoft Dynamics 365 Review: "Solid scaleable CRM"

Microsoft Dynamics is used by our organization to track sales opportunities across the entire sales process. Management uses the software for pipeline review and forecasting and the sales force uses the system to enter and progress sales to completion. In addition we have integration with marketo marketing for automated communication to our prospective clients. It provides a single system for us to ensure there is not a duplication of efforts and allows for accountability with the sales team.
  • Integration with the rest of the Microsoft suite is very helpful. The ability to flag emails and attach them to a particular opportunity is great.
  • The progression of sales through the sales process is great. We are able to require certain pieces of information and the completion of specific sales tools in order for users to move opportunities through the pipeline.
  • Contact management is nice as well, it allows us to pull reports and generate invite lists for events, marketing campaigns, etc.
  • The system is so complex that it can be over burdening for end users if it is not set up in a simple way. There is so much functionality that you can easily go overboard.
  • It would be nice to have multiple "owners" or end users associated with a single record or sales opportunity. We have multiple sales members working on individual contracts and it would be nice to avoid duplication and allow for better sharing.
  • Reports are a little difficult to customize, more ability on this front would be highly beneficial.
This product is a good fit for those already using the Microsoft office suite and want to take advantage of the integration. It is not as end user friendly as some of the other CRMs I have tested and used in the past, but it does get the job done. As with all software, the implementation is key to avoid duplication and confusion at the launch, which was a big struggle for us.
December 12, 2017

Microsoft Dynamics 365 Review: "Microsoft Dynamics CRM a solid tool for biz dev outreach and prospect organization"

We use Microsoft Dynamics CRM as both a bank of information that every person on staff references and as a direct email tool to manage subscriptions and send out email blasts. The platform allows us to get in touch with prospects through targeted email, manage extensive lists of prospects and also track vital business information that helps our business function more smoothly.
  • Stores information in an organized fashion, allowing for easy search and recall
  • Simplifies the email marketing process by organizing lists and information
  • Provides one go-to place for key business information
  • Could do a better job of tracking duplicate information among contacts in lists
  • The email marketing interface sometimes glitches out, causing delays in our ability to send email blasts
  • Email marketing tests can be difficult to get exactly right, in terms of formatting
Microsoft Dynamics CRM is well suited for organization of key business information, where you can add many details that can be searched or filtered accordingly to what you want to see. Microsoft Dynamics CRM is a solid tool for email marketing campaigns, allowing for fairly simple editing of email templates, without knowledge of HTML. It can sometimes be glitchy though, causing delays in our ability to send messages. It is also good for managing very large lists, although I would appreciate a better feature for sniffing out duplicate contacts within marketing lists.
Rich Mephan profile photo
June 26, 2017

Microsoft Dynamics 365 Review: "Dynamics CRM 2016 - Game Changing"

We use Microsoft Dynamics CRM across our entire organisation, from using it to log and manage support cases, time recording for staff and monthly billing, tracking implementation projects, and sales and marketing. It underpins our entire business. The flexible CRM gives us allows us to implement rapid process change should the need arise.
  • The ability to customize CRM out of the box without the need for a developer is its biggest strength.
  • Powerful and flexible workflow engine.
  • Simple and easy to understand security model.
  • The Workflow designer has not been updated in 10+ years.
  • Business process flows still need some enhancements adding to them to allow for extremely complex processes.
  • Dialogs should either be removed or enhanced (Mandatory fields etc).
It works really well as a support desk system especially with the new SLA management. The new CRM WebAPI is great for doing custom development. The new mobile application is also very useful but could be more customizable. Currently, the mobile application is too locked down for my liking.
Read Rich Mephan's full review
Maxime Guglielmetti profile photo
August 02, 2017

Microsoft Dynamics 365 Review: "MS Dynamics: not so sexy but efficient solution with potential?"

Microsoft Dynamics CRM is being used for different reasons and by different teams in my current organization. We are currently implementing it in the Communication division to address community relations, create, maintain and share a contact and organization database, log meetings minutes, issues, and improve the organization's image by straightening and aligning their outside communication. We are planning to add more processes in the near future.
  • Main menu. MS Dynamics menu is user friendly.
  • Interface overall is OK.
  • Auditing. Major issue for me. It is not possible to export "who" log to Excel - when and what people have been doing. It has to be done manually, which is really cumbersome. I had to review 100 of pages of logs to communicate my 1st Proof of Concept! It is very useful when working on a POC. as a BA or PM, I need to follow what is happening in order to address potential issues. In most of the others CRM I know, it is usually really easy to generate a KPI report by team, process, etc.
  • Administration. It is not user friendly compared to best in class CRMs. Roles and privileges are complicated. Designing a structure with business champion has been challenging.
We are looking at the integration with Outlook that can be really useful to us but I have not tested it yet.
Read Maxime Guglielmetti's full review
Brenna M. Humann profile photo
April 06, 2017

Microsoft Dynamics 365 Review: "MS Dynamics for development work"

Used for organization wide philanthropy/fundraising CRM as a donor database.
  • "Dashboard windows" in which users can see upcoming activities or contact lists are helpful.
  • Virtually endless sub-pages and add-on fields are helpful to collect lots of data.
  • Data updates across all pages quickly.
  • Filter or query searches are not user friendly and extremely hard to build, requiring the help of IT staff. This makes even pulling simple mail merge lists difficult.
  • Use of sub-page nesting makes it hard to see a contact's full info when clicking on an "activity" link set for that contact. Multiple sub-pages must be opened. This clutters up the workspace and makes it difficult to remember exactly what field to enter data in.
  • Dashboard windows are extremely small and don't keep a running script when you scroll or make changes, so they're almost unusable except for a quick look. If these could be expanded somehow, they'd be even more useful.
Perhaps better suited for sales use than donor development.
Read Brenna M. Humann's full review
February 21, 2017

Microsoft Dynamics 365 Review: "A giant data storage without much insight into lead management"

Microsoft Dynamics CRM is the main CRM used not only by the sales and marketing departments of our company but also across the whole organization. Microsoft Dynamics CRM helps us to record the contact information of leads and customers, it also shows from which web page the leads fill in the form.
  • Integration with Outlook and Office 365
  • Simple, easy to navigate interface
  • Nice function to create filters to group different contacts into lists
  • I feel like this CRM is nothing more than a big database. I wish it would be more integrated with web analytics, so I can check which pages the contact has visited.
  • We also have this issue of duplicate leads, meaning the same contact filling out different forms but it shows two different entries in the CRM. The cross checking can be time consuming because we have a big amount of leads.
  • I would like more autonomy to customize the CRM to my benefits rather than having to hire a consultant for that.
If you are looking for a giant database to store up all your contact information, turn to Microsoft Dynamics CRM. But if you are a sales and marketing professional who hopes to understand more about the leads and their journey behaviour on the website, then I think you should turn to something else.
December 16, 2016

Microsoft Dynamics 365 Review: "Our Nightmare with Microsoft Dynamics with CRM"

It is being using to manage our customers.
  • I can't think of anything.
  • Microsoft Dynamics is littered with critical technical issues. We have been having continuous issues with data deleting itself without our consent or any forewarning. This has cost our company considerable time and money and loss of data.
  • Their support is horrible. They are difficult to get hold off and you get thrown around many Microsoft departments and no one knows anything about Microsoft Dynamics specifically. From my experience I believe there are only 2-3 actual technical support operators in the Asia Pacific region and this is for Microsoft's flagship CRM product.
  • There's also very little compatibility with other modern cloud platforms like Zendesk and MailChimp. The software is slow and it feels like it is normal operating system software working through a cloud connector rather than software written for the cloud.
You should not purchase Microsoft Dynamics, you will run into technical issues and when those issues occur there will be no support to assist you. If something goes wrong and you need to restore data you will be stuffed and your business will be significantly disrupted. Microsoft Dynamics isn't cheap either, and you will likely need the help of consultants/contractors who have used it before to get it working for you. Our company is currently assessing alternative CRMs.
Chris Thorne profile photo
July 22, 2016

Microsoft Dynamics 365 Review: "MS Dynamics CRM - Customisable but clunky"

Dynamics CRM is our organisation's CRM - we manage our sales pipeline and use it for reporting and sales forecasting, as well as day to day management of contacts, accounts and opportunities by the sales team.
  • Dynamics CRM is hugely customisable - making it adaptable to even the most unique/bespoke sales pipeline
  • The connection of different entities (e.g. accounts, opportunities) etc. is very straightforward, allowing for better attribution and reporting
  • In built reporting is intuitive and takes advantage of most people's familiarity with MS Office
  • The system is very slow, especially on the back end when it comes to making customisations
  • Ability to automate business processes falls slightly short for more advanced needs - such as being able to perform actions based on lookup results
Microsoft Dynamics is a highly customisable CRM, meaning it can be set up to the needs of most organisations. However, it is surprisingly slow, and is clunky to integrate with our systems, even MS systems such as AX.
Read Chris Thorne's full review
Rabie Khabouze MS, ITIL profile photo
August 02, 2016

Microsoft Dynamics 365: "MS Dynamics CRM 2011 Review"

It is being used almost across the whole organization, but heavily used by Marketing and Sales departments to manage sales opportunities, submitting and managing resource requests, activities and customer accounts. Also used to manage vendors and sub contractors. Marketing uses the application to manage contacts and open leads, run reports against opportunities, leads and activities based on date or customers etc...
  • Leads and campaigns management that allows to track lead statuses, methods of contact, roles, company profiles etc.
  • Management of activities such as tasks, appointments, text messages, faxes, emails etc.
  • Customer accounts and associated opportunities management, with customer information and its open and closed activities, ship to and bill to addresses.
  • The fact that I'm using 2011 version. I believe 2013 and 2016 have better features. I would start with Dashboard reporting, currently 2011 doesn't have an interactive dashboard and it's not effective.
  • Mobile is a big deal now. Most Sales folks are on the go, and they always like to access their CRM data on mobile. 2011 lacks that, probably 2016 has a better mobile framework.
  • Out of the box integration with various ERP and PSA systems, in 2011 version they are absent.
I'm not recommending the 2011, but the 2016 probably, because it has better framework. From the demos I saw, it has good navigation, better look and feel, interactive dashboard and mobile friendly. The online version has a nice service feature to allow management of project based sales, kind of what PSA offers. Compatible with SharePoint in case document management is needed, The new workflow seems to be simple and user friendly.
Read Rabie Khabouze MS, ITIL's full review
Brad Bauer profile photo
March 09, 2016

Microsoft Dynamics 365 Review: "Microsoft Dynamics CRM - great to use"

Microsoft Dynamics CRM is used by a majority of our organization. Our ticket sales department utilizes it for contact management and pipeline tracking, while our corporate partnerships department uses it primarily for inventory management and contract building.
  • Easy to learn and use
  • Very searchable, can look for people/companies across many different variables
  • No technical issues
  • A little more personalization would be nice
  • Easier to download reports
  • Mobile sign in
Microsoft Dynamics CRM is perfect for putting together a sponsorship proposal as it integrates with our asset inventory and also helps immensely with making sure all proposals stay under our fulfillment marks.
Read Brad Bauer's full review
Moshe Raab profile photo
October 05, 2015

Microsoft Dynamics 365 Review: "How we use Microsoft Dynamics CRM"

We are using Microsoft Dynamics CRM to manage leads, opportunities and accounts.
  • Integrates with Outlook. Therefore we can use Microsoft Dynamics CRM or Outlook to correspond with customers.
  • Workflows make automation of tasks possible.
  • The online version allows access to data from any browser on any device from anywhere.
  • The windows app is very convenient for use on tablets and small devices.
  • Certain UX features are lacking, like multi select lists.
Actually it is becoming more suitable for many scenarios because Microsoft Dynamics CRM is a framework that is customizable and expandable.
Read Moshe Raab's full review
Chris Farias profile photo
June 03, 2015

Microsoft Dynamics 365 Review: "Guaranteeing Implementation Success with Microsoft Dynamics CRM!"

• The integration with Outlook is a HUGE plus in terms of user adoption, and if user adoption is not there, then any expense on a CRM is a waste of money.
  • When implemented correctly, I've seen a minimum productivity improvement of 5%, very often much higher than that. This is primarily because it creates significantly streamlined communications, both internal and external to the company. What this means is fewer FTEs needed to do the same job!
  • Ease of creating dashboards - A picture is worth a thousand words, and dashboards tell each user how they are performing on a continuous basis. When this clicks, you get a situation of all horses pulling in the same direction, and the results of this are terrific!
  • Mid market manufacturing companies have invested heavily in streamlining operations and supply chain to drive down the unit production cost of the widgets they make. Unfortunately, they have not been able to do the same for Sales and Marketing, and Dynamics CRM is a tremendous tool in enforcing good sales process. When you have the discipline of following a good process, and have consistent Sales activity (both measurable from the CRM), you have a situation where the CRM becomes the best Sales Coach the company could ever have and not pay for!!!
  • Business owners and managers must understand that it typically takes 6-12 months for the results to flow in. And it is often the case that when the bottlenecks in the Sales and Marketing processes are removed, other issues within the company get highlighted. Companies must be prepared for this, and the corresponding discomfort it creates. But it is all good, since we all want to work as efficiently as possible, and anything that brings inefficiencies to the surface is a good thing.
  • Out of the box functionality from smart phones leaves a lot to be desired. Fortunately there are affordable third party products that are really great at this.
  • Complex marketing campaigns and implementing a digital marketing strategy unfortunately require third party offerings. I'm sure this will be addressed in the future, but for now, this is limited.
  • While Microsoft has addressed the issue of access from multiple browsers, the desktop "experience" is really only replicated on the Surface tablet, which is why some people have purchased this tablet (in addition to their iPads) because it just makes sense for them to do so. Others object to having another asset in inventory, but that is what the tablet wars are about anyway.
  • Dynamics CRM 2013 has the "Process" interface which has its pros and cons. Right now, the ability for developers to tweak the look and feel is limited, but it is expected that improvements in this aspect (giving developers more control) is imminent.

1. Take your time and choose the right partner to work with. DO NOT try and do it yourself. You will waste time, do things incorrectly, and pay a steep price to get stuff fixed.

2. Implement in small bite sized chunks. CRM affects the entire organization, and going easy in the initial stages goes a long, long way in preventing the problems that many installs face half way through the implementation. Once your people adjust to the new communication processes, they will start to help tremendously with suggestions that WILL make the overall implementation a success.

3. Understand the difference between training and adoption. Train in small chunks, and then make sure adoption for the functionality that training has covered is in place before moving on to the next stage. Many business owners and managers are under a lot of pressure to show results quickly because the investment in CRM is significant, BUT it is really difficult to force a rate of change on an organization without creating havoc. So my advice is to be clear about milestones and expected achievements, but don't get too aggressive about them. You will be doing yourself a disservice. Enterprise class systems like CRM have to work with the organization's dynamics, not against it!

Read Chris Farias's full review
Christina Bayley profile photo
March 18, 2015

Microsoft Dynamics 365 Review: "Do you know what your customers want? Find out with one click through your Microsoft Dynamics CRM system!"

My organization uses MS Dynamics CRM company-wide. It allows for all of our employees, regardless of department, to review and share account information about our customers and prospective customers. We heavily use cases as a helpdesk solution. We have also created several custom entities that tie into the account that are also heavily used by various divisions of the organization. Our CRM system allows users to access all information about an account in one place. There is no longer a need to make several phone calls to other divisions nor do users have to search through emails to find history regarding an account. All of the information is accessible within one system.
  • End-User Usability. The system is very user-friendly. A novice user can easily find an account and review all the account information on one screen with links to contacts, cases, opportunities, etc that are associated with the account. All of the different entities are shown on the left-hand side of the screen. Searching for different records types within each entity is simple. New records can easily be created by users. Users can also create their own advanced finds (views). Users have the ability to set their own default start area along with the ability to set a default view for each entity. This is particularly helpful for users who rarely use the system and don't always remember which entity they need to access or which view to select. In the case of upper-management, who may only interested in viewing Dashboards, setting these user defaults is extremely helpful. Reports are easy to run and can have a variety of parameters to allow the user to customize the report data.
  • Integration with Outlook. MS Dynamics CRM easily integrates with MS Outlook through a plug-in that is installed on the user's machine. Through this plug-in, a user can track emails, appointments, and tasks from Outlook to CRM through the click of a button. From that point forward, any changes made in either system are synced. In addition, if an email is tracked, any further responses or forwards of that email (inter-company) are also tracked in CRM. Users do have the ability to untrack any email at any point, which will stop any further responses or forwards from being tracked in CRM.
  • Customization. From a developer's standpoint, most customizations are fairly simple. A new entity can be created for users in less than a day. Web resources can be created and can be very powerful on entity forms, as well as other places. There are several different types of Web Resources that can be created such as javascript, html, and css. Processes (workflows and dialogs) can be created that can be run on-demand or that can be triggered by an event, such as new record creation or field change. New users are easy to setup. Out-of-the-box, there are several security roles already created. These roles can be customized and you can also easily create your own. The system can be used right out-of-the-box and customizations can be done later as needs are realized.
  • Third Party Managed Solutions. It is very easy to install managed solutions into MS Dynamics CRM. There is even a marketplace available where you can search for these solutions. They are also very easy to uninstall if you decide it does not suit your needs. Some of these solutions are free and some cost money. Regardless of cost, which is defined by the creator of the solution and not by Microsoft, the availability of these solutions are a definite strength because as a developer, you do not have to reinvent the wheel. In addition, if you create a managed solution that you feel will benefit others, you can add it to the marketplace and share with other developers.
  • Marketing Module. The marketing module in CRM is lacking. As-is, it is very difficult to use the marketing entities for regular campaigns as it just lacks the power and functionality that other marketing programs have. There are marketing programs that can be purchased that will either run through the CRM system or that will run outside of the CRM system but can sync data. In my experience, I have worked with both of these scenarios. I work with one CRM organization that uses an installed managed solution for marketing and I work with another CRM organization that syncs with an external marketing program. I prefer the installed managed solution as the program is accessed from within CRM.
  • Third Party Managed Solutions. While I listed this as a strength, it is also a weakness. When selecting third party managed solutions, it is important to research and ask questions. With the on-premise version that I use, I control my updates (rollups). When using the online version, updates are automatic. Make sure that the vendor who created the managed solution will keep their solution updates inline with Microsoft's updates. If not, your managed solution could stop working after an update. With some third party managed solutions, updates to the solution are not automatic either.
  • Data Import. The data import in MS Dynamics CRM 2011 is much better than the data import from the previous 4.0 version however, it is still not robust enough to handle all scenarios. There is also supposed to be an easy way to export data to Excel, make changes, and then re-import the data with the changes however, you must do this quickly because any change to a record within CRM before the re-import will cause failures. It is also somewhat cumbersome at times when setting up the field mappings during the import. I have found that it is easier to use an external ETL program to import data into CRM. Usually with these programs you can write formulas and create mappings for option sets much easier than you can using the native data import within CRM.
  • Mobility. In my opinion, the out-of-the-box mobile capability for the MS Dynamics CRM 2011 version is worthless. Without spending extra money for a third party solution, you are not able to run javascript on forms and the actual mobile form setup is very limited.
  • Review your current processes and data. Think about how it will map into MS Dynamics CRM. If possible, obtain a trial license to the online version and perform a sample data import. This will allow you to see data within the entities and how the data relates and rolls up to the account. Keep in mind that customizations can be done.
  • If you have current data, ask how easy it will be for your current data to import into CRM. Will you need to tweak any of your current business processes to adapt to CRM or will CRM be able to adapt to your business processes?
Read Christina Bayley's full review
Meloney Linder profile photo
June 03, 2015

Microsoft Dynamics 365 Review: "Changing how a b-school manages its relationships."

Microsoft Dynamics CRM is being used by multiple departments with plans to expand its use within the next 12 months. It addresses data management, customer communication, and business processes.
  • Daily workflow management.
  • Cross communications - transparency of data among users.
  • KPI dashboard reporting.
  • Off the shelf it is limited. It requires heavy customization for the education model.
Over selling of the product usability as an "out of the box" solution.
Read Meloney Linder's full review
Todd Jankowski profile photo
January 27, 2015

Microsoft Dynamics 365 Review: "Raving Fan for Microsoft Dynamics"

Our CRM system is currently used by our inside and outside sales teams only. Long term we will rollout to our engineering team and our service team.

Used to streamline sales process---handling of leads and opportunities. Used to manage our interaction with accounts and contacts. We also use the goal function and ClickDimensions for marketing automation.
  • Incredibly intuitive to use. I was hired without any prior knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics and had a custom system Implemented and trained to our sales team in just over 3 months. That is incredible.
  • Readily available training materials----just google your question and you'll find support from all corners of the internet.
  • The dashboards are very easy to create and customize.
  • Sometimes there are too many ways to skin a cat----this has lead to confusion from our sales team at points. IE...multiple ways to get to the same place within CRM.
  • I find the Outlook version to be "glitchy". We get crashes or disconnects fairly often. Easy to fix but nonetheless it's annoying. I tend to use the IE version exclusively.
It's so easy to customize. I can't imagine an industry or scenario where it wouldn't work exactly how you would need it. To me the bigger key or more important criteria is selecting a certified Microsoft partner to work with. Our partners have been great to work with when I get stuck or can't solve something on my own.

I was an end user with salesforce.com at previous employer---to me there is no comparison.
Read Todd Jankowski's full review

Customer data management / contact management (36)
Workflow management (34)
Territory management (27)
Opportunity management (33)
Integration with email client (e.g., Outlook or Gmail) (33)
Contract management (25)
Quote & order management (22)
Interaction tracking (30)
Channel / partner relationship management (26)
Case management (23)
Call center management (20)
Help desk management (22)
Lead management (32)
Email marketing (32)
Task management (29)
Billing and invoicing management (20)
Reporting (22)
Customizable reports (35)
Custom fields (33)
Custom objects (33)
Scripting environment (25)
API for custom integration (27)
Single sign-on capability (25)
Role-based user permissions (24)
Social data (17)
Social engagement (17)
Marketing automation (31)
Compensation management (13)
Mobile access (21)

About Microsoft Dynamics 365

Microsoft Dynamics 365 (formerly called Microsoft Dynamics) CRM is a CRM system providing sales, marketing, and service (help desk) functionality. It is offered in two flavors: Online (competing directly with Salesforce) and on-premise.

Microsoft Dynamics 365 Features