Overall Satisfaction with Tableau Desktop
Tableau Desktop is used across our entire organization for measuring supplier shipment and quality performance, and manufacturing performance. Being able to schedule extracts and automate dashboard refreshes is a huge timesaver!
- Very easy to set up, install, configure and use.
- User community is extremely active - posting questions on their forums usually results in an answer in under an hour!
- Tableau has hours of free training videos on demand and many more free live training sessions.
- Cost is a little high for some businesses.
- ODBC is not really supported. I understand why since there could be thousands of drivers 'in the wild'.
I had the trial version of Tableau Desktop downloaded, installed, configured and was creating meaningful dashboards in almost 15 minutes. While other software we used had great features, none of them were able to compare with this trial experience. Tableau's user forums were very active, with many users able to help with any issue I had. Additionally, the free tutorial videos can't be beat! Nobody else offers that kind of resource.
It is most suited for automating data extracts and refreshes of dashboards from disparate data sources. Tableau Desktop makes it easy to take my ERP system, data from SQL server and local MS Excel files and use them seamlessly. It is not well suited for traditional 'tabular' reports. Instead of looking at what has happened, look to see what will happen. Tableau can do that.
Tableau Desktop Feature Ratings
Using Tableau Desktop
It's pretty easy to use Tableau...you need to have your data formatted properly before you try. Since the majority of calculations are written almost exactly as you would in Excel, the learning curve is quite shallow.
Like to use
Easy to use
Technical support not required
Quick to learn
Feel confident using