Overall Satisfaction with Thomson Reuters Westlaw
We are a personal injury law firm that utilizes [Thomson Reuters] Westlaw in a number of different ways. [Thomson Reuters] Westlaw provides us [the] ability to research legal issues across all state courts as well as federal courts, even into other states if needed. We are also able to review and research court filings from other attorneys or legal cases that [Thomson Reuters] Westlaw provides through their research. Another feature utilized quite frequently is the ability to look up information through [...] public records when information on defendants or insurance companies is not readily available.
- Public Records Research
- Inventory of case, laws, and legal precedents to research
- Showing good vs. bad case law based on court decisions
- Easier way to research specific issues
- "Weed out" cases for research that are not relevant to issue searching
- When case law is deemed bad, better explanation or citation as to why
- Public Records Search
- Case Research
- Appellate Court rulings
- Accident report does not have auto insurance information, but [Thomson Reuters] Westlaw was able to locate information needed to make sure a client's injuries were taken care of
- Case Citations in response to defendants' motions in trial citing decisions that are against our clients
- Lexis Advance, CloudNine LAW and formerly from LexisNexis
Like I said earlier, I previously used Lexis as the legal research tool. I did like Lexis because it was very easy to navigate, and you were able to utilize their Shepherds tool for case citations. However, I felt that their bank or library of cases, legal standards or precedents, and providing the user with the quality of case law needed was subpar. [Thomson Reuters] Westlaw far exceeds [its] competitors when it comes to the necessary elements needed for legal practice/research.
Do you think Thomson Reuters Westlaw delivers good value for the price?
Are you happy with Thomson Reuters Westlaw's feature set?
Did Thomson Reuters Westlaw live up to sales and marketing promises?
I wasn't involved with the selection/purchase process
Did implementation of Thomson Reuters Westlaw go as expected?
I wasn't involved with the implementation phase
Would you buy Thomson Reuters Westlaw again?
Any time you need to research case law or a legal issue, [Thomson Reuters] Westlaw is the place to go. I used another legal research site in the past and felt that it was easy to navigate on their site. However, that site did not have a scope or library of research ability that [Thomson Reuters] Westlaw provides its users. Ultimately, for me, navigation of a site can be learned and taught, but in the legal field, you want the content to be priority and that's what you get from [Thomson Reuters] Westlaw.