Thomson Reuters Westlaw Reviews

November 09, 2020

I Will Never Forgive nor Recommend Their Services

I used Westlaw as a student and instructor, and now use ProFlex to support estate planning needs. This was to cut back on research and form creation needs as part of that business segment. I needed to replace my estate planning forms creator and this seemed the most cost effective solution.
  • I was given a customized home page that included the estate planning forms. It also had a business forms link, which I assumed was part of the package because it was part of my customized home page.
  • A need arose for a contract within a family business as part of an estate plan, and I pursued this second link to see if I could address the family's need. I found the document I needed, and began to create the form. I received a warning that this was not within my plan, so I retreated. I later received an additional charge for $174.00, even though I had retreated and not completed the form.
  • I was treated [poorly] and passed from one department to another. I then lost trust and attempted to cancel the contract on the basis that I was afraid to continue using the product. I had been told that removing the ancillary charge was a "one-time solution."
  • I received my official response to my request to cancel the contract, which stated that "[i]t has been our long-standing policy and belief that agreements . . . should be honored by both parties." Basically even though I had a valid product and customer service complaint and will not be using the product, I am stuck paying.
  • Further, they do not consider my request to cancel as notice of non-renewal, so I will have to make a second request or they will automatically renew the contract at a price increase at the end of the "minimum term." I searched for a non-disparagement clause, and there is not one in any of the multiple "contracts" they offered. Therefore, I am telling you all that they suck and I strongly do not recommend signing up for their services.
  • Customer service.
  • Customer retention.
  • Consumer contracts.
  • Misleading website navigation.
Perhaps well-suited in enterprise agreements where many users need access to many areas, and a giant contract is cost effective. This was a good company to work with as a student and instructor where value was not my specific concern. I cannot speak to the value paid by the responsible party in that context.
I was passed around like a hot potato and nameless responders were somewhat disrespectful and "snippy." There was no offer to resolve the issue I complained about, and I was basically made to feel as though I was lying about the problem. The solution was easy: fix my customized home screen to remove the possibility of wandering into a non-subscription area. This fix was never offered or pursued. Instead, I was offered the option of signing up for additional services.
December 17, 2019

Good features but strict contract terms

We use Westlaw for legal research and docket management. We recently switched from Pacer to Westlaw Dockets and have greater access to records. This allows us to perform more efficient research across our organization and stay current with trends and new developments in case law.
  • Case law research.
  • Docket searches.
  • Accessing dockets from case research.
  • Clear pricing.
Westlaw is helpful for doing case research but is very expensive. For smaller firms or fast-growth firms, this makes it difficult to bring in people or have temporary assistance during peak times without spending a ton of money on licenses. The functionality of the product is extremely helpful but the pricing and contract terms are not.
I have not had to use the support.
Raymond Tran | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 16, 2018

Westlaw by Thomson Reuters

Westlaw is used across the whole organization. It serves as a research platform, search engine, and document saving system. We can also use it to share files.

It is mainly used for research purposes. I use it for three main purposes: first, to locate primary resources (cases, statutes, black letter law); second, to locate secondary resources (law review, treatises, articles); last, to find templates or forms.
  • Logical, clear to follow
  • Access to certain publishers
  • Some functions/features may seem less familiar if you are used to other platforms
  • Certain resources are not the very best (and are available on other engines)
  • Costly!
Westlaw is very well suited in any legal research setting. Particularly for law students, summer associates, interns, externs, or junior attorneys, it is probably the most familiar and available research platform and search engine available. Additionally, most other attorneys, judges, and researchers or professors are used to using Westlaw.
Read Raymond Tran's full review
Steven Price | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 13, 2018

Westlaw Easy and Great

Westlaw does an amazing job of easily and quickly finding relevant legal literature on both small and large scale searches. Westlaw provides methods of narrowing one's search via specific criteria (for example, case law, statutes, regulations, etc.) as well as using other "key word" and other tools to allow one to narrow their search. Highly recommend.
  • Access to secondary sources
  • Great ability to save documents as pdf or word.
  • Great history function to help you pickup where you left off.
  • sometimes results are too broad
  • pricing
  • sometimes its hard to make searches relevant
Westlaw is not good for looking up state statutes or codes by citation. It is however good at (once finding said statute) allowing one to view all relevant case law on point with the citation. Westlaw is also good at narrowing various topics into what I believe are called Keycites, though sometimes they do not totally encompass a particular topic.
Read Steven Price's full review
John Kenneth Cole | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 12, 2018

WestLaw - one tool, myriad possibilities.

I first started using WestLaw while working as a contractor to a federal agency working in privacy and information security. When conducting legal research, one has to weed through sources to find unbiased information that provides the level of detail needed to finish the task. WestLaw provided me with the information I needed to be able to provide quality information to address the constantly changing needs of the agency.
  • I was able to immediately access information that directly related to the issues.
  • WestLaw provided access to information that would have taken tens of hours to locate in old and often out of print sources.
  • I am pleased with the overall experience with the tool. One does not have to scroll through long pages or click through page after page to get to the resources you need.
I would not hesitate to recommend WestLaw to a colleague - in fact, I have recommended the tool on numerous occasions. Access to the available tools make the cost more than economical, and it is easy to justify purchasing the tool to corporate department heads. Further, the tool allowed me to consolidate several costly subscriptions into only WestLaw, saving me and my company hundreds of dollars.
Read John Kenneth Cole's full review
Olivia Crellin | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 12, 2018

LOVE Westlaw products

We use Thomson Reuters Westlaw for securities reporting research, all of my caselaw research and to identify precedent through Practical Law for my corporate documents. I am a huge TR Westlaw fan!
  • Key cites for research are extremely helpful and save me a lot of time.
  • Practical law provides all sorts of wonderful forms and industry insight when I'm drafting corporate forms.
  • Easy to navigate and user-friendly.
  • The program logs me off rather quickly when I have a window open stagnant on Practical Law. As I don't believe Practical Law bills per minute of use, I wish it would stay open longer.
  • Most of the corporate forms are still unavailable or not maintained in all 50 states. Would love to see practicioners like myself used as resources to get those updated and current.
Great for corporate forms and precedent; great (cheaper) alternative for searching securities filings and key cites are incredibly helpful for making case law research more efficient.
Read Olivia Crellin's full review
May 21, 2018

Westlaw Bestlaw!

I use Westlaw for legal research. I use it to search for cases to support my briefs and memoranda. I also use Westlaw to check on the legal citations that my adversaries use as support in their arguments. Westlaw is a great tool for legal research particularly its headnotes and keycites. Westlaw's headnotes are what set it apart from other legal research tools. The ease in searching through headnotes allow for quicker and more efficient research allowing me to get the job done faster. Keycites make it easier to search broad topics when I do not know exactly what I am looking for.
  • The headnotes allow me to quickly read through the key aspects of the case.
  • Keycites make for quick efficient searches.
  • The flagging system is great for making sure the case is still good law.
  • Ability to save highlighting and comments on cases makes for organized research.
  • More expensive than other tools.
  • Limited plans.
Best suited for legal research. Also helpful when looking for statutes, or other regulations. When looking up research on Westlaw, I know that it is accurate. It is less appropriate perhaps in a smaller firm where the cost exceeds it benefits.
February 13, 2018

WestLaw has Superior Secondary Sources for the Immigration Lawyer

I use WestLaw as one of two legal research platforms. I have used WestLaw since law school and have never looked back. I only practice immigration law, so the most important thing for me are secondary sources and periodicals so I can stay up-to-date. WestLaw had superior content to Lexis when I decided to sign a contract. I need to get answers to my procedural and substantive questions fast and WestLaw helps me do that quickly and efficiently.
  • Immigration content
  • Navigation is fairly intuitive better UI than Lexis
  • Overpriced
  • Doesn't link statutes the way that immigration lawyers cite them
  • User interface could be better
WestLaw and/or Lexis Nexis are necessary for the sophisticated practitioner. Unfortunately, there aren't viable alternatives for case law research and legal research platforms. WestLaw has superior secondary sources for the immigration lawyer, so I would recommend it for that. It's not for the budge conscious, but it is what it is until the legal research duopoly is disrupted.

About Thomson Reuters Westlaw

Westlaw from Thomson Reuters is a legal research product enabling layers to build strong arguments based on superior legal materials, including, primary law, analytical materials, practice area insights, and an online collection of litigation resources.