Updated July 12, 2016
Score 4 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance
We currently use the Unitrends device for backups and disaster recovery. Overall the product works as it should. When there are problems it can be very frustrating to get things figured out. Our product was undersized when we made our initial purchase (two sizes too small). Getting everything transferred twice was a very big undertaking and involved several weeks of my time.
- Unitrends works very well at VM level backups for various operating systems.
- The ability to restore and test the DR functionality works well.
- Reporting of backups is nice to see what has completed and what hasn't.
- Support has been hard to get in contact with several times.
- Replication has been hard to keep working and requires a lot of monitoring.
- Encryption does not notify you when the key is not entered and all backups and replications fail until the key is entered.
- Backups do not clean up into weekly or monthly backups so if you want to keep any real age you must either have a large amount of space or archive backups.
- We have used Unitrends to recover from ransomewhere in multiple occasions.
- We used unitrends to restore backups to move to a new storage platform.
- We are always using it to recover and restore files users delete or make un needed changes to.
We have looked at several other options, some being software only and others being complete systems like Unitrends. We chose to stay with Unitrends because we knew to good and the bad. The cost was also more inline with our budget. Some of the systems would have cost 2 or 3 times more than our current support and we are generally happy (except when we need to deal with L1 support).
I think Unitrends works well in various scenarios but the size needed to keep any real retention makes it hard for me to recommend. In my industry we are required to keep files for several years so it is important we keep backups of the files and having to archive things makes it much more difficult to manage.