Overall Satisfaction with Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance
We use Unitrends for the whole organization. It backs up all virtual and physical machines to a local backup appliance which is then replicated to the Unitrends cloud storage. This enables our company to restore individual files or recreate virtual machines from the backup appliance in the event the virtual machine is corrupted or removed. Also Unitrends allows us to restore a physical machine to a virtual machine or a bare metal restore if needed.
- Allows for integration with your virtual infrastructure i.e. VMware by connecting to vCenter to see all virtual machines.
- Enables easy replication of backup data to cloud storage
- Web based management is easy to follow
- Limitation of larger files replicating to the Unitrends cloud
- Restore process can hard to manage
- Unitrends has provided restore of files that have been deleted by users
- Unitrends protected our SQL database dump files
- Unitrends creates an ongoing standby virtual machine in our virtual infrastructure for real time recovery of virtual machines
We previously used Dell AppAssure and Microsoft Data Protection Manager. Both products were able to backup virtual and physical machines but unable to backup Linux. Unitrends has a better integration with virtual infrastructures and has a better management interface. Unitrends is much more intuitive to our environment and has better reporting features than the other products which involved complex coding to get the data in the reports that we wanted.
Unitrends is well suited for small to medium businesses that require backup solutions for a mixed environment of virtual and physical machines. Also compatible on a variety of virtual infrastructures including VMware and Hyper-V as well and multiple versions of operating systems such as Windows 2008/2012 and different Linux distributions including RedHat, CentOS, etc.