Overall Satisfaction with Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance
The Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance is used primarily to back up our Hyper-V virtual machines, along with our Citrix XenServer virtual machines. It is also used to back up some end user laptops. Lastly, it's used to back up SQL databases, along with Microsoft Exchange mailbox databases. By moving all of our backups to Unitrends, we have been able to achieve a significantly decreased RTO and RPO, down to minutes in most cases.
- It's easy to use and administer. Setting up backup jobs is very straightforward.
- Restoring is very fast, and easy. A few clicks in the interface is all it takes.
- The dashboard, along with the automated reports make it very simple to determine if the previous backup was successful or not.
- When restoring certain items, you have to restore the whole resource, and not just a record. For example, you have to restore a whole Domain Controller if you have an Active Directory issue.
- We have recovered entire virtual machines within minutes, getting us running again after system failures.
- We have recovered entire Exchange databases within minutes, eliminating the old and painful way of Exchange recovery.
- We have recovered SQL databases to earlier points in time to resolve data import issues.
At the time, Veeam did not support physical servers. Otherwise, Veeam was a very worthy option that was very good at backing up virtual machines. We needed the ability to back up physical machines, so Unitrends was chosen. I also looked at the appliance itself; it was nice that Unitrends had a solution that contained the required hardware in a turnkey solution.