Unitrends does very well for our Enterprise!
September 06, 2016
Unitrends does very well for our Enterprise!
Score 9 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance
The appliance is being used for daily backups of all critical file and database servers the organization relies on 24/7. The appliance is also used to replicate data to another Unitrends appliance for disaster recovery and failover emergencies. The unit is also set to snapshot files every 15 minutes so we can restore accidentally deleted or overwritten files easily and quickly as well as emails.
- The appliance has a very easy to use and intuitive interface for backing up all important file servers and database servers. This is easy to use and easy to teach my staff how to use the appliance and its features easily and quickly.
- The appliance has a very good track record for timely backups, purging of old backups and restores items very quickly and easily for getting users back up and running fast.
- The appliance permits us to replicate data easily and efficiently to our other appliance for disaster recovery, business continuity and other emergency needs any day of the week across our WAN to our branch office. The appliance works well with its other replication partner as well as its RDX unit where we do monthly archives to a group of hard drives to be stored offsite in a safe.
- The appliance also permits us to bring servers up quickly and easily using the bare metal recovery option or the self provisioning option right from the appliance itself should the need arise.
- We would like them to update the software to automatically purge and detect orphan backups better.
- Would like the interface to have more options for SQL database recovery and drill down to particular database tables or fields if possible in a feature release.
- Would like software to have more notification on agent updates progress being done live on each server during the entire process in case of failures or login problems.
- The product has recovered files for us accidentally deleted or overwritten with a blank file with same filename. The snaphots are very valuable for that.
- The product has recovered deleted emails from Exchange for us during HR investigations and requirements of law enforcment.
- The product has recovered corrupted or damaged SQL databases for us when the data was mission critical and extremely sensitive and important to our business needs!
Our VM backup strategy was filled with holes and problems backing up VMs logically and efficiently, the software was cumbersome and very expensive to implement and did not always work as intended. UNITRENDS was smooth from get go and very good to use, it had a good price point that encompassed all the needs our enterprise required and has fulfilled them well since implementation.
- PHD, Data Ranger and AppAssure
Unitrends was much more user friendly and extensive than the above three products reviewed, PHD was very expensive to license for our datacenter and was very low on features, Data Ranger was very expensive and did not suit our needs at all nor our environment in our datacenter, AppAssure was close to Unitrends but total cost of hardware, storage and licensing ended up being more expensive than the Unitrends appliance solution we ultimately chose.
The appliance is very good for backing up any data centers with over 10TB of data or more each day. The speed and ability to backup items quickly and efficiently with snapshots is key for an enterprise of that scale and larger. The appliance runs well and its agents perform well on each server to ensure backups are done in the background seamlessly.
Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance Feature Ratings
Using Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance
3 - IT Management and the oversee restoration of data from file servers, emails from Exchange servers and SQL database records from major databases used by the entire enterprise should a deleted record, email or file require restoration. The IT managers recover the data using Unitrends easily and quickly while being extremely efficient to the support the end users' needs.
2 - The Director of IT and my IT manager support and are used in-house for the use of the Unitrends appliance. These two users have over 15 years experience in the IT field, numerous work experiences and job positions held during their career as well as numerous ceritications within the IT industry from Microsoft, Novell, Cisco and Citrix.
- Deleted Files by accident, on purpose or overwritten.
- Restoration of deleted emails.
- Restoration of sql database records.
- Restoration of Databases for test and beta testing environment non production servers.
- Testing of new email servers to be deployed.
- Restoration and Recovery of bare metal servers.
We have grown very attached to the Unitrends appliances and their use for recovery and other file restoration needs as well as data archival, data replication to other appliance and data migration to other servers or long term storage requirements. The appliances work well and the support for them is very good as well.