Overall Satisfaction with vCloud Director
- The advantage to using vCloud Director is it a cloud based application allowing access anywhere. I have the ability to make changes to our virtual environment without being in the office or using a vpn.
- The vCloud Director provides a lot of the same features as vSphere.
- The add-on/extension required on the internet browser sometimes are difficult to get working at first. We've experience instances where the add-on/extension latest versions will not work and have to downgrade to an older version.
- The server console lacks features and tools. For example it would be useful to have a copy and paste tool or a file upload tool.
- The vCloud Director management site uses Adobe Flash, which makes it impossible to use on a mobile device.
- vCloud Director requires less IT administration. For example, there isn't a need to maintain esx host. or storage administration like creating luns.
- A negative impact is cost. vCloud Director has a monthly cost for storage, processor core, memory, and licensing.
vCloud Director is well suited for a multi tenant environment. It's great for an organization that does not have an internal IT resource or limited IT. vCloud might not be a great fit for a large organization that requires a lot of processing cores. Another expensive piece is storage you lose the opportunity to shop different storage solutions. Migrating a virtual infrastructure to vCloud will be slower because transfer rates will be limited by internet bandwidth.