Veeam: The best/easiest backup software I've used.
February 18, 2020

Veeam: The best/easiest backup software I've used.

Randy MacFarland | TrustRadius Reviewer

Software Version

Community Edition

Overall Satisfaction with Veeam Backup & Replication

We use Veeam in half of our company (SCADA). We use Veeam to backup critical servers VM and folders/files on certain standalone servers. Due to budget constrains I tried using the community edition that works great. We used another backup solution on the Business side of the company called Rubrik. Veeam is better in all aspects. No support required from Veeam. Easy to use compared to Rubrik. Any time we have an issue with Rubrik support has to log in as we don't have full access to the Brik/OS.
  • Backup of VM.
  • Easy configuration without reading the manuals.
  • I would only say cost. I did get a quote for the paid version. The physical hardware and license were too costly.
  • I can't see a job running on a Windows 10 machine with the agent installed from the admin console. Only if it was successful or failed.
  • Since I'm using the community edition, the ROI is excellent.
  • If I purchased hardware/licenses for each location the cost would be too high. We have limited bandwidth between sites. Local servers/storage would be required.
I have 5 VMs and 3 physical servers. I would backup more but I don't have space/bandwidth in the other locations. I can only backup the main office. If I had physical servers/disk at each site it would be in the 50-55 VM and 25 physical servers/workstations.
Yes, the cost of the storage was cheap as I had a server not being used with a lot of space. We don't use the cloud option. Most of our servers don't have internet access due to security reasons.
We wouldn't benefit from any other options other than day to day physical/VM backups. Since we are running the community edition and it seems to work great, we don't use, nor need, the extra features.
We already have Rubrik on the business side of the company. I wouldn't purchase the software/hardware again. If you don't have the support and you have an issue you are done. Lower level OS changes require root access which wasn't given to us, even after asking for it. Very costly if you run out of space on the brik. You can't just point to free space on a file server, for example. You have to purchase another brik at a $100,000+ price point just to add space.
VMware ESXi, Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM), Symantec Endpoint Protection, Ivanti Security Controls, BeyondTrust Remote Support (formerly Bomgar), Nmap
Day to Day backup: if you want a backup solution (community edition) installed fast with minimal reading of manuals. I don't see many scenarios where I wouldn't recommend the product unless you have a limited budget. With the licensing and hardware cost it gets very expensive. Our cost was low as I had a file server with a lot of free disk space that wasn't being used. Since I'm using the community edition, I believe I'm limited to a number of servers I can backup which is fine as it's free.

Veeam Backup & Replication Feature Ratings