Reviews (1-25 of 55)
- Virtual machine backups are extremely easy to setup. The recovery (instant mount) process is a better option than doing a traditional restore of a server.
- SQL database backups and recovery are very nice. Our DBA's love the SQL DB mount option to quickly recover data.
- The ability to change the retention on a pre-existing backup that is different than the current SLA is a feature that has not yet made it to Rubrik. This is one option I would like to see sooner than later.
- Having to utilize Fileset backups in order to restore to an alternate server is a hassle. Basically you have to make two backups of the server if you want full protection. It will be nice with this function is built into VM level backups so you only need one backup.
- Easy to administer.
- Easy to install and configure.
- Great support!
- Software upgrades occasionally overwrite existing settings.
- It is a relatively expensive solution.
- Backing up millions of small files on CIFS shares is not as efficient as other backup products.
- Live Mounting SQL for OBDC checks and for restores of tables.
- The single pane of glass and a single point of management and visibility was a huge win for us - as we moved away from a legacy tape backup solution. Rubrik modernized the whole approach and bought the simplicity to the backup model that we certainly needed!
- There is now a vast selection of objects that Rubrik can backup - it fitted our needs perfectly for all our workloads.
- Error reporting can be hard to interpret and chase out.
- VMware backups are done really well and super efficiently.
- The general ease of installation of the entire product.
- The APIs could be a little easier to exploit.
- The interface could use a little work.
- Database Backup and Restoration on the Rubik Box
- Google-like searching no matter where your targets are
- Calling support is better than calling 911. Help comes much faster and everyone is a native English speaker
- Bare Metal Restoration
- Work within OpenStack Cloud
- It is very easy to manage and just does its job well. Very little break-fix.
- Stable and trustworthy - It just runs and we can feel confident our backups happen.
- Alerting and reporting with email as well as Polaris are excellent.
- Increased support for agent level items such as SharePoint, active directory, and exchange.
- Simpler recovery of exchange data.
- Managing multiple clusters through Polaris would be great to have.
The agent features for physical servers is always improving but still limited in some features. One big weakness is during restores if there is an error while putting files back to their location it is often reported as successful which is slightly misleading. This only occurs when the agent lacks permissions to put files back.
- Rubrik greatly simplifies management and usability of backup systems. Configuration is very simple compared to our old system.
- It makes archiving data to either an offsite cloud or NAS mount point extremely easy. All that is required, is a few configuration items, and away your data goes.
- Support is outstanding. Maintenance upgrades and trouble cases are handled quickly and professionally.
- Cloud cluster has it's limitations as far as performance and resilience. With large data in the environment, it has issues archiving large amounts of data to S3.
- Multi-tenancy permissions are not fully baked. I had to get creative to give proper permissions to admins of different organizations. I submitted an RFE for this.
- Notifications are also not fully baked. Anyone that is an admin level of any organization, receives all system notifications.
The company is going through a digital transformation. We are transitioning from the typical tape method to doing backups with Rubrik and archiving it to the cloud thru AWS.
- Fast recovery.
- Compression algorithms.
- Backup recovery.
- Fast mount point for virtual machines.
- Quick integration with AWS.
- GUI design and functionality.
- Solaris backup.
- Longer SLA retention rather than just 999 days.
- Direct Live backup of VMs using Native snapshot technology
- Cloud Integration for Archiving of Data
- Instant restore of VM using live mount on Rubrik Flash Storage
- Application Aware backups for Active Directory
- 0 day local retention of data when archived to S3
- Role based access control for specific Backups.
- Better Reporting options for Disk Usage
- Alerts for unmanaged objects
Our Rubrik system currently backs-up all our Windows Linux Operating Systems, which are physical, VMWare environment, and SQL Services. The Rubrik agent that is required to install locally on physical servers and SQL is very lightweight: the agent installation file size is only 14MB.
After the Rubrik appliances were racked and connected, it only took less than 2 hours to deploy Rubrik and also to configure the environment ready to start backing up data. The Rubrik appliances use Erasure Encoding for redundancy, and it also maintains itself, self heals, and optimises. Rubrik encrypts data at rest, in-flight and in archive. The Rubik interface does not require any fancy software installed or Java, it uses a standard browser that supports HTML. Rubrik fully supports APIs, there is a repository available for Rubrik customers to share their code.
- Rapid Recovery of VMs and SQL services -- recover a second and have it up and running within 30 seconds.
- Reduced TCO costs over a 5 year period
- Reduction of maintenance - a previous backup system had several was installed on Windows Server which needed to be maintained and patched as well as the backup software. No tape library and no tapes.
- Uses HTML5
- Searching for data is an ease with Rubrik
- Currently does not backup active directory objects
- Set it and forget it
- Easy to use and manage
- Fast VM recovery times
- Great technical support when issues arise
- Pricing. Instead of sticking with an "all in one bundle", they recently have started putting prices on new features in the product. While some are understandable to add additional charges, expansion of the base functionality is not one of those that should require an additional cost
- Global Pane of Glass for Management. Its available but does not yet give provide full multisite management (plus this is an additional cost)
- Supportability of applications are limited but are growing. Its new so its understood but they seem to be pumping out new functionality with every release
- Setup and connection to our systems was incredibly easy.
- Configuring protection was intuitive and simple. We had it protecting our environment in about 2 hours from opening the box.
- Restoring using live mount is absolutely amazing.
- I would like to have a specific Active Directory protection option.
- From box to full setup: From the unboxing of the appliance to my first backup was about 1 hour!
- Easiness of use: We no longer need a "backup master" with the company, Rubrik makes it extremely easy to backup and restore your environment.
- "DR Like" - We have used Rubrik to mount copies of VMs for testing. So not only is Rubrik a great backup utility, but it also works great for DR testing.
- Active Directory Object backup
- The way the space consumption is shown in the console
- Be able to create multiple SLA policies for one VM
- Well suited for a virtual environment.
- Less appropriate if your environment is not virtual.
- Performance: with its ingest speeds, as well as its block level dedupe and compression, we can store a large amount of data with a small footprint in our data centers.
- One Console to rule them all provides convenience and simplicity without sacrificing its abilities.
- Easy to use and manage
- I would like to see a little more improvement on the user management (though currently it's not bad.) Just so we could get a little more granular with specific users.
- Recovery. Granular file recovery, index searches ,SQL database and VM recovery, in seconds and regardless of database or VM size
- Flexibility. Rubrik offers more than backups, it covers a lot of use cases and gives customers flexible solutions
- Simplicity. It's very easy to deploy and extremely easy to use, no need for extensive courses
- Add object recovery
- Multi-tenancy across replicas
- Data validation reports
- Scales out linearly and predictably with no limitations.
- Management of backups and policies are aligned with service provider requirements.
- Support of application-aware backups increases exponentially.
- Fantastic API for integrations with Dynamic Documentation (Swagger).
- Support team is alert and proactive.
- Very low administrative overhead.
- Live mount is very fast and consistent.
- Source remote clusters require static IP Addresses (destination pulls data as opposed to push).
- Exchange DAG is not supported natively!
- AWS integration is limited.
- Live mount restores minimizes downtime.
- Ability to get as granular as restoring specific files from previous snapshots.
- Setting up backups on new servers takes less than a minute, increasing productivity.
- Price is a little high, but you get what you pay for.
- Needs better integration with VSphere.
- User interface can be a little complex.
- Simplified backup. Rubrik integrates well with modern data-center technologies. Rubrik backups are SLA-based, and you can apply SLAs to different levels of your infrastructure, e.g. from granular VM-based assignments to covering whole site with few clicks.
- Simplified restore. Easy to use interface allows for delegation of restores to any user group.
- Simplified backup to cloud makes replacing outdated backup targets, such as tape libraries, an easy task.
- Simplified DR to cloud. In addition to the ability to mount restored virtual machines from the Rubrik appliances itself, Rubrik allows you to spin up backed up to the cloud instances in Azure cloud.
- Working with legacy systems. Rubrik is a forward-thinking company, so check if you have systems that pre-date Rubrik if they are supported.
- Alerting. Currently, in order to be notified of a Rubrik event, target alert contact must be a user in the Rubrik system, which is not the case for some of our own use-case scenarios.
Supporting heterogeneous physical infrastructure with legacy components requires a good deal of research with Rubrik.
Finally a backup product that doesn't suck! This needs to be the standard that all backups products live by.
- Image and file level backups.
- Granular and quick file recovery.
- Archive and restore to cloud.
- The initial investment price is too high but they can command that due to its success.
- Image level support for HyperV 2012.
- Additional Reporting capabilities.
Rubrik Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
Rubrik is cloud data management and enterprise backup software provided by Palo Alto-based Rubrik, Inc. It is a software platform that provides backup, instant recovery, archival, search, analytics, compliance, and copy data management in one secure fabric across data centers and clouds.
Its software is also designed to be vendor-agnostic, and supports the most commonly used operating systems, databases, hypervisors, clouds, and SaaS applications. And while you can utilize Rubrik’s software completely on the cloud, Rubrik also integrates with on-premises hardware, and even provides their own proprietary Rubrik appliances.
Rubrik functions through a single policy engine that orchestrates service level agreements (SLAs) across the data lifecycle. Management is automated across hybrid and multi-cloud environments with one programmatic interface.
Analytics & Reporting
Rubrik’s software creates customized reports and data visualizations for user’s platforms on operational efficiency, compliance, and capacity utilization.
Security & Compliance
Data stored and backed up through Rubrik is secured in-transit and at-rest throughout its lifecycle, regardless of location. Rubrik delivers granular role-based access control while automating compliance reporting to complete various industry and internal audits. Users can quickly recover from ransomware through immutable backups native to the platform.
Rubrik Customer Size Distribution
|Small Businesses (1-50 employees)||0%|
|Mid-Size Companies (51-500 employees)||60%|
|Enterprises (> 500 employees)||40%|
Rubrik Support Options
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
Rubrik Technical Details
|Deployment Types:||On-premise, SaaS|
|Operating Systems:||Windows, Linux, Mac|
|Supported Countries:||NA, LATAM, EMEA, APJ|