Overall Satisfaction with WebSphere Commerce
We are a consultant company, as such we provide solutions using WebSphere Commerce to our clients. We provide full services (design, install, configuration, customization) to our clients. The most common problems that our clients have is that they want to grow their eCommerce business with a robust and scalable platform and WebSphere Commerce gives them that. Some of our clients' industries are manufacturing and automotive, but the majority of our clients happen to be in the apparel and fashion industry. Using WebSphere Commerce allows our clients to grow their eCommerce business.
- Scalability. Since WebSphere Commerce is based on WebSphere Application Server, it's fully scalable just like WAS.
- Support. Their support team is a pleasure to work with. They get back to you quickly and are knowledgeable of their product, so I learn a lot from them about things that are not covered in detail in their documentation.
- Robust. The software is robust once it's up and running since it depends on WAS.
- Sample store & sample data. It's really fast to get a store up and running based on the sample store & data they provided.
- Business tools are quite difficult to use especially for non-technical users. The steps involved in creating promotions or loading a catalog are often difficult for non-technical users to use.
- Business tools are often very difficult to customize (Accelerator, Sales Center, Management Center). It requires a lot of steps [when] trying to make simple changes.
- Being that WCS depends on WAS, it's always behind the curb from the latest WAS version.
- For our clients in the apparel industry, the flexibility that WCS provides to scale up really helped their online business to grow tremendously.
- Our client in the restaurant industry can't quite leverage what WCS has to offer though as it doesn't really fit their shopping model.
- Another positive impact is that it allows our clients to streamline their commerce system in interacting with their backend.
Compared to some other software that our clients have considered, a lot of them choose WebSphere Commerce because of the ability to scale easily. Some of our customers are coming from a PHP based ecommerce platform that doesn't allow them to scale up and they're hitting the limit of their ecommerce system.
I think WebSphere Commerce is well suited for customers looking to sell products online that need robustness and scalability as a priority. It provides a complete order cycle out of the box, or you can integrate with your existing order fulfillment. Online shopping models like digital subscriptions or a marketplace are not well suited as it requires a lot of customization.