Based on 144 reviews and ratings
Fivetran and Matillion are both tools designed to extract and transform business data. Fivetran is a Data Replication tool that replicates business data from applications and databases and stores them in a single data warehouse, it is most popular with mid-sized businesses with many data sources to replicate. Matillion is a data integration tool that helps businesses to aggregate data from different sources for querying and analysis. Matillion is most popular with mid-sized businesses.
Fivetran and Matillion both pull in data from many business sources, but they also have a few standout features that set them apart from each other.
Fivetran can pull in data directly from many SaaS applications right out of the box, making it a strong choice for organizations looking for a plug and play tool to handle SaaS data. Additionally, Fivetran helps organizations meet regulatory compliance standards for both GDPR and HIPAA. Lastly, customers are able to add new data sources to Fivetran, making it easy to add customer data to a businesses data warehouse.
Matillion provides a simple to use interface that won’t require significant training for new users. For businesses that do need a little more training, however, Matillion provides both thorough documentation as well as in depth tutorial videos so users can get up to speed quickly. Lastly, Matillion provides ticket based support so users can reach out to the vendor for help with any software issues.
Fivetran and Matillion both help organizations to handle large amounts of business data, but they also have some limitations that are important to consider.
Fivetran includes detailed documentation for their software, but provides no tutorials or training. New users will have to really on experienced coworkers or third party content when learning to use Fivetran. Additionally, Fivetran’s interface is more complex to use than Matillion, which can handle post load data transformations with a simple drag and drop interface.
Matillion has built in integrations for some SaaS applications, but not as many as Fivetran. For businesses that only use applications supported by Matillion this isn’t an issue, but it can be a problem for businesses with other SaaS applications. Additionally, Matillion only provides support for GDPR compliance, so businesses that need their data to be HIPAA compliant may need to consider other options.
Pricing for Fivetran is dependent on the needs of the business starting at $1.00 per credit with access to all Fivetran connectors. Fivetran also offers a free trial so businesses can see if the software is right for them before making a purchasing decision.
Matillion similarly depends on the needs of the business, but it starts as low as $1.37 an hour and offers support for Amazon Redshift, Google BigQuery, Azure Synapse Analytics, and Snowflake.
Provided by the TrustRadius Research Team
Published on June 18, 2020
Likelihood to Recommend
Feature Rating Comparison
Connect to traditional data sources
Connecto to Big Data and NoSQL
Data model creation
Business rules and workflow
Testing and debugging
Integration with data quality tools
Integration with MDM tools
- Quick replication of data with minimal lag.
- Automated reporting if data is out of date.
- The customer support team is relatively good.
- The workspace is drag and drop, which makes it intuitive and easy to use.
- Server creation and management is robust. We haven't had to worry too much about it once we got it created.
- The job scheduler is very simple and intuitive.
- Matillion allows you to run Python, which grants almost unlimited flexibility, even without using any other components.
- A full schema refresh takes us two-three days and knocks us offline from monitoring up-to-date business KPIs, running updated analyses, etc. This is likely due to us having massive amounts of data (from a count(1) perspective, not size of tables perspective).
- There's little to no progress estimate on the front end UI to see how long this refresh might take and you need to enable back end logging in Amazon to see where it's at in the sync process and derive rough estimates of completion time.
- Limited selection of instance sizes - Larger organizations and groups my need to set up multilple instances depending on estimations on concurrent users.
- Lack of complete github, gitlab, or other source control integration - it has internal versioning but it is limited. Manual job exports currently don't lend well for useful DIFFs comparison when using those technologies.
- Needs more options for authentication and security - User creation is very manual and can be tedious and difficult to manage for larger installations.
Likelihood to Renew
Return on Investment
- I was able to build a complete commissions processing system for over 3500 employees using Matillion in just over a month. This included gathering data from 5 different sources, combining them together appropriately and building in the business rules. I was awarded one of the top awards our company gives for this project.
- Our big three Business Intelligence tools: Matillion, Redshift and DOMO allow us to give our employees the right data at the right time. Our productivity has increased as 75%+ of our employees look at their data every day they work.
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?
Fivetran Editions & Modules
- per credit